PDA

View Full Version : Whats the sharpest out of the package broadhead and the dullest

donny.brooke
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
was wondering what broadhead was the sharpest out of the package, also what one you found to be not so sharp?

Bow Walker
11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Outta the package?

I like Slick Tricks, Muzzy's, and my Magnus Stinger - although I've yet to find any head that couldn't benefit from some sharpening, especially right out of the package.

Mountaintop
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
I think you have to break it down to fixed and replaceable cutting surface. Replaceables are likely sharper out of the box but some are probably not as strong as a fixed blade. I use the fixed G5 Montec. They are pretty sharp out of the pack but I like to do a little touch up before I shoot at an animal.

mikeboehm
11-14-2011, 06:04 PM
I use muzzy mx4 and they are sharp and strong. I myself wouldnt trust out of the pack broadheads for sharpness especially if i see a trophy of a life time. So before i go hunting for they day i do a quick sharpen of them

J_T
11-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Agree with the subsequent posters. All broadheads need to be sharpened before use. Stick with fixed blade one piece broadheads for the best reliability. Replaceables, bend, break and chip. Just not tough enough. I'm sold on the Montec G5's (3blade). Or the Journeyman 2 blade.

BiG Boar
11-14-2011, 07:04 PM
If its sharp enough that I wouldnt poke it into my stomach than its sharp enough for a deer.

donny.brooke
11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
i found myself that slicktricks are scary sharp out of the package, i dont know if you could sharpen them better than they are from the factory? i had some px2 broadheads that were so dull i could run them over my finger and not even leave a mark right out of the box, if i did that with a slicktrick it would have sent me to the hospital for some repairs

ROEBUCK
11-15-2011, 01:19 AM
i USE MONTECS ,NEVER SHARPEN THEM UNTIL THEY HAVE KILLED A ANIMAL.
THERE PLENTY SHARP ENOUGH OUT OF THE BOX

Ambush
11-15-2011, 08:25 PM
I would say that Slick Tricks are the sharpest out of the package. Anyone less than highly skilled, would only ruin the edge by "touching it up".

Most broadheads are sharp enough to use as shipped.
A very few brands are noticeably lacking.

Some blades feel sharp, but it's actually only the burr left from the stone. And there are different kinds of "sharpness" depending on what you want to cut.
Ask a good knife maker.

In thousands of reveiws and comments, a few heads always seem to come out ahead, or at least have the least amount of bad press. Stick with those, in your chosen type [ie. solid, fixed replaceable, mechanical] and you'll be good.

troutseeker
11-15-2011, 09:50 PM
NAP Thunderheads for me, sharp and strong!

huntwriter
11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
NAP Thunderheads for me, sharp and strong!

x2. Use Thunderheads, and the Spitfire too, from the day they came on the market and always went back to them after field testing other brands.

Having said that however, I agree with Ambush. All brands that have been in the stores for many years and sold out each year are good. Otherwise they wouldn't be around anymore. As for sharpness. They are all out of the box plenty sharp enough to kill sufficiently, provided the arrow hits where you're aiming at.

StoneChaser
11-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Slick Tricks are very sharp, and I just picked up a pack of Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts that are freakishly sharp and have been happy with Montec CS the pack as well.

All 3 will shave hair from the pack, and after a little shooting are easy to put a hair popping edge on again.

I've had a few packs of Muzzy's that were far from sharp, but that was 5 or 6 years ago now, so maybe they've improved.

afflicted 1
11-22-2011, 04:52 PM
g5 strikers very sharp, g5 montec stainless not so sharp