PDA

View Full Version : Hunter lost and found

Gateholio
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Hunter- Lost - Found 32 year old Chris Brunskill went out prepared - but left everything in truck to scout area Last Updated: Monday, November 14th, 2011 | 2:22pm PST Story by: Sandy Hall
32-year-old Chris Brunskill of Cache Creek was prepared for his day in the bush -- but didn't bank on getting lost as he scouted out an area, while leaving his supplies in his truck. Brunskill spent 2 days in sub zero weather, surviving on snow, before searchers found him. Brunskill was wearing light clothing when he set out on what was supposed to be a quick exploration of the area. He intended to return for his supplies and warmer clothing but became disoriented in fog. He had to be treated for frostbite, but has now been released from hospital.

Gateholio
11-14-2011, 03:59 PM
By JASON HEWLETT
Daily News Staff Reporter
A hunter was treated for hypothermia at Royal Inland Hospital after spending two cold nights in the bush near Cache Creek.
But police and search and rescue volunteers say the weekend could have ended a lot worse for the Cache Creek resident given the snow and freezing temperatures.
"He's very lucky it was just hypothermia," Alan Hobler, search master for Kamloops Search and Rescue said Sunday.
Chris Brunskill, 32, disappeared in the area of Arrowstone Creek near Lopez Mountain on Friday. He was hunting with a friend at the time.
Brunskill and his companion became separated. When the friend returned to the pickup and Brunskill didn't show, he organized a search of his own. Hobler said search and rescue was dispatched when Brunskill wasn't back the following day.
Search crews took to the woods on Saturday. Mike Ritcey of Kamloops Search and Rescue said the effort included civilian and RCMP dog teams.
In the meantime, Brunskill unsuccessfully tried to find his way out. Ashcroft RCMP Sgt. Michel Grondin said Brunskill opted to build a fire late Saturday and stay with it until help came.
Search crews built a fire of their own to ward off the cold Saturday night. Hobler said a volunteer was near the fire when she heard a rifle shot at 3:30 a.m. Sunday coming from the direction Brunskill was last seen.
A second shot at 6:30 a.m. helped crews narrow their search. Brunskill was spotted by an RCMP helicopter a half-hour hike from a forestry cut block. Grondin said Brunskill was about two kilometres away from his vehicle.
He was taken directly from the bush to RIH for treatment, said Grondin.
Brunskill didn't intend to be out in the cold for two nights and was dressed in jogging pants and a light jacket, said Hobler. Nor was he armed with a GPS and survival gear. That could have been a costly mistake.
"No matter how far you're going, be prepared," said Hobler.

laredo318
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
"No matter how far you're going, be prepared," said Hobler.

How true is that??
Glad he is OK.

landphil
11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
A good reminder to take your gear/pack with you even on a "quick look." I took very little with me a few years ago on a quick hunt on the bike, ended up with mechanical troubles, late afternoon, no flashlight, no fire, but did have lots of clothing. Luckily I was able to locate and patch the wiring problem on the bike, still ended up riding out in pitch blackness as there was no light on the bike either. I carry a flashlight, lighter, basic F/A kit and ample clothing at all times now, even if my pack stays behind for those "quick looks."

ROEBUCK
11-14-2011, 04:12 PM
I always carry a lighter and a flint/strike and some snare wire in my coat pocket ,they take up next to no room at all and a small gps compass.
if you get soaking wet, remember snow acts like a sponge.
The most important thing in a survival situation is shelter from the weather !
Be prepared ,and let somebody know were your hunting !
IF ITS A GREAT SPOT LET ME KNOW WERE YOUR GOING TO BE HUNTING ! LOL

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 04:12 PM
happy he is ok.

a sobering lesson for us all.

killer_shot
11-14-2011, 04:45 PM
To bad you cant teach a sense of direction

Blk Arrow
11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
It is not hard to get turned around in the fog!

fearnodeer
11-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Sometimes things just happen, just like steppin in shit. It happens

Jagermeister
11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
You have to hand it to Burnskill, he didn't loose his marbles and march off into oblivion. He did the right thing by planting his ass in one spot and at least he had the resources to start a fire.
If there is one thing that I hate, it is when the fog rolls in and visibility is cut to zilch. I got turned around once, that was enough, compass is always tied to a shirt pocket even though I rely heavily on my GPS.

ROEBUCK
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
to bad you cant teach a sense of direction

very difficalt to get a sense of direction ,if you can only see a few metres in front of you !
Be prepared, you never know

Davey Crockett
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
You could argue that his smoking habit saved his life.

popsy
11-14-2011, 06:57 PM
smoker or not, no one should be out there without a lighter(new) or waterproof matches for just this kind of situation

Lone Ranger
11-14-2011, 07:07 PM
I've done it before, bad habit of jumping out of the truck to check something out and end up hiking for a few km before returning. Could easily happen to anyone. Like what's been said, at least he had the sense to do things properly there after, probably saved his life.

BTW, I always carry a lighter and I don't smoke. Probably because most everyone else I know does and they they always forget theirs! They're constantly looking for me asking to borrow my lighter because they know I carry one :? LR

ianwuzhere
11-14-2011, 07:10 PM
thats one of the few times being a smoker prolly woulda came in handy cuz they never leave without a lighter and the smokes- woulda kept ya warm all nite! glad hes ok..

dave_83golf
11-14-2011, 08:20 PM
Last year I ventured into one of my usual hunting spots in heavy snow... ended up heading over a hill I had not explored before... luckily the snow was there so I could track myself back to the truck...It was scary... I came home to find my GPS on my bedside table.... needless to say, that was the last time i left it at home!

Glad he made it back to civilization safely

BearStump
11-14-2011, 08:34 PM
I got turned around in 7' re-gen once while looking for a buck I had shot.
All alone I marked where the truck was in relation to a high mountain peak in the distance and off I went. Had a flashlight, knife, and rifle. Didn't think about the fact that once it was dark I wouldnt be able to reference that mountain peak anymore. Spent 2 hrs trying to find my way out of that mess. It was not a comfortable feeling. Lesson learned.

JAFA
11-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Couple of years back, I was looking for a spot up one of the side roads in Christian Valley, I had been to this place a couple of times, but it had been a while. I was planning to stay for a few days.

Drove to my "spot", just after first light. Put on some coffee and went up the hill for a quick look.

Snow came in real heavy, visibility was even as short as 5-6 feet sometimes... and I spent the next 7-8 hours looking for my truck. Luckily when I realized I was in trouble I really marked my trail from then on. It took hours but finally I was able to find the road.

Came out soaked to the bone, really cold.

lesson learned.

Jim.

brian
11-16-2011, 12:30 AM

Funny thing about that, its people who have or who think they have a good sense of direction who get lost the worst.

Walksalot
11-16-2011, 07:17 AM

You can teach sense of direction. It is called a map and compass course.

trapperRick
11-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Always carry something to start fires with x 2, two emergence blankets the little silver looking ones, light and take up no space, a back tracker GPS, it is very very easy to use only cost $70, only thing it is not water proof so bag it up, 2 x eatmore bars, 1 pack of halls, lipsol, 500ml of water, a small meat/buck saw compo, two knives, 2x 25' rope, small roll snare wire and TP always have some TP!!!!. it all fits in a fanny pack

11-16-2011, 01:29 PM
When fog rolls in, and when the land is flat or rolling, nobody has a good sense of direction. I wouldn't judge him.

Ol'Toyo
11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
This happened to me once. After a long day of hiking and driving I decided to check out this interesting looking cut block. The snow started to fall and before I knew it I was completely lost. Had to be rescued by search and rescue. Never, ever, ever will I ever go for a walk without a pack full of lighters, food, water, extra socks, base layers etc. Every single time I leave the truck that pack comes with me, NO EXCEPTIONS. Even if it's familiar territory, what would happen if you followed a trophy around for a while and then it got dark.
It actually gives me an extra bit of confidence walking around with a pack that I know would sustain me for a couple of days in the bush. I have no problem and actually sometimes enjoy getting lost with my pack and gps.
I got off lucky and was found late at night so I didn't have to spend the night. Learned my lesson.

Farmer001
11-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Yup got lost when the fog rolled in, good thing for GPS otherwise would have been a cold night. Pack always carries some food/ blanket/water and homemade fire starter pucks. Plus now carry a spot.

7mag700
11-19-2011, 11:16 AM
I keep my bug-out-bag (a camo fanny pack) right next to my gun mag on the console of my truck. Grab bag, mag, and gun, in that order. The bag has my (super-cool Bear Grylls model) flint/steel with firestarter inside, compass, water bottle, knife/saw, sharpening stone, gloves, flagging tape, e-tape, 10 rounds of ammo, bleat and rattle, rangefinder, dry snacks (a few granola bars), and license/tags. No sense not being ready to cut the tag and get to guttin as soon as you walk up to your deer :D and that one time a guy gets lost it'll make all the difference.

7m7