PDA

View Full Version : RMEF or Elk Federation??

onpoint
11-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Thought I'd poll everyone and see how many are members of either of these organizations are out there? For those of you in the Lower Mainland, anyone know why we don't have a chapter here? Was there a chapter in the LM before that just didn't survive?? Any info would be great to hear. I'm interested in starting a chapter as I think both these organizations do great things for hunters and game populations so if anyone has any additional insight as to why we don't have one here I'd be curious to know. If you would be interested in joining also throw that out there as well!

11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
The RMEF is a great organization and have done a ton of work over the last couple decades to enhance elk habitat in the western provinces and states. They used to have a Canadian arm called RMEF Canada but it's now unforunately defunct. There were RMEF Canada fundraisers all over the western provinces and when one attended he also got a years membership in RMEF Canada. Sadly those days have passed us by.

The Elk Federation is a much newer purely Canadian organization headquartered in Leduc Alberta.

onpoint
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Thanks 6616, do you know any reasons why its now defunct?? No support?? I've seen the Elk Federation website but they only have AB and ON chapters. Curious to know why we don't have something in the LM or the Island or the Sunshine Coast. I know we're talking Rosies on the Island and the SC but you'd think we'd have some sort of organization to represent us and our interests and the interests of game management/conservation here in BC.

elkdom
11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
here in NE BC reg 7B the RMEF purchased some land( a lot of it, 1000's of acres) prohibited not only elk hunting but also all OTHER hunting was not permitted on their (RMEF) holdings,,,all year !

they(the RMEF) fissile d and expired,,,,,,,,, good riddance ! austa'la vista"

ELK pops were exploding before they came here (the RMEF) and the Elk herds are exploding in numbers every year,,without them (RMEF)
,so much in numbers,,, we in (reg7B) has about 2000 late winter LEH elk authorizations every year !
still the elk numbers increase, without , and in spite of the money grabbing RMEF,,,,,,

Walking Buffalo
11-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks 6616, do you know any reasons why its now defunct?? No support?? I've seen the Elk Federation website but they only have AB and ON chapters. Curious to know why we don't have something in the LM or the Island or the Sunshine Coast. I know we're talking Rosies on the Island and the SC but you'd think we'd have some sort of organization to represent us and our interests and the interests of game management/conservation here in BC.

I don't have the details at hand.

There was a huge "accounting" issue with the main executive branch in the US.

Truely too bad. I used to be a member of RMEF. Had to let that go due to concerns with where my money was going as well I couldn't agree with RMEF's position on Elk Farming. A wild elk foundation that supported game farming..... :confused:

Freshtracks
11-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Another x-RMEF member who attended LML dinners. Great organization, as with DU and any others that promoted habitat for wildlife.

11-14-2011, 04:22 PM

We have several organizations in BC representing our interests and conservation, the BCWF, the Wild Sheep Society, dozens and dozens of smaller rod and gun clubs. RMEF Canada did great work, but we won't die without them.

onpoint
11-15-2011, 07:41 AM
We have several organizations in BC representing our interests and conservation, the BCWF, the Wild Sheep Society, dozens and dozens of smaller rod and gun clubs. RMEF Canada did great work, but we won't die without them.

I'm a member of BCWF and have also looked at the Wild Sheep Society but I was wondering about the RMEF/Elk Federation mostly because of my interest in what they do for elk and elk habitat specifically. I've only ever heard or read great things about what they do (until I saw the post from elkdom above) and was surprised to see that there wasn't a chapter here in the LML anymore given the population.

11-15-2011, 12:41 PM
RMEF Canada did great work in BC once, but considering past history I think I'd currently be inclined to go with the Elk Federation, a Canadian based orgainization, no strong connection with the outfitting industry like RMEF had, and all the money contributed will stay in Canada.

Also maybe a good idea for you LML folks would be to encourage FLNRO to get on board the Provincial Eco-system Restoration Program, I know here in the East Kootenay the ERP probably does more work that benefits elk winter range than any other outfit. RMEF used to support some of these ERP programs.

Also in the EK many local rod and gun clubs conduct habitat enhancement projects mostly funded by HCTF. I believe there are 44 rod and gun clubs in Region 2, at least some of them are likely involved in elk habitat enhancement projects. A good avenue of action for a person like yourself who is interested in elk enhancement might be to find the right club who would be inclined in this direction and promote, initiate, and work on enhancement projects from within.

Great to see people like yourself recognizing that habitat is the key issue....!

onpoint
11-16-2011, 07:45 AM
This is great 6616, I appreciate the insight. I looked into the HCTF projects and there are some really interesting ones in process. I will also do as you suggest and start contacting rod and gun clubs to see who is active in elk habitat enhancement projects. Again, it's great to get some perspective from someone who's been involved with these organizations so thanks.