PDA

View Full Version : Wtf??

BearStump
11-14-2011, 09:07 AM
So I get to work today and my buddy says thanx for the elk steaks that I gave him last week, and that they were real tasty but almost broke his tooth on the buckshot.??WTF?? "What are you talking about" I said. so he pulled out of his pocket, 2 pellets of what appears to be about #4 shot.

I shot this elk once in the boiler room with a 300wsm!!

So either I didn't get my own meat back from the butcher, or some asshat is driving around the east koots shooting at elk with buckshot.

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you guys?

Philcott
11-14-2011, 09:18 AM
We had a somewhat similar thing happen on a 4 point mule buck we shot a few years back.

While I was butchering the deer I noticed a bullet lodged in the bucks backstrap area. It had healed up around the bullet with a small area of scaring and no wound was visible so I figure it had been there for a couple years at least. It sure must have been a long winter for that buck.

I hope you got your own elk back from the butcher.

Clouddog
11-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes happened to me _ I had a large black tail deer from the Chilliwack area processed by a friend who is a retired sausage maker. He knows what he is doing and only does a couple batches a year. Although hit and miss, there was the odd buckshot in the sausages. Very disappointing but at least it was not lead....if it was I would have thrown away all the processed meat.

greenhorn
11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Never happened to me, but I've heard that some processors mix meat. Hopefully that isn't what happened to you.

cainer
11-14-2011, 10:34 AM
theres a chance of mixing up the meat if you don't process your own for sure. But, I think you're more likely right on about some a$$hat driving around blasting elk with a shotgun though.

peashooter
11-14-2011, 11:02 AM
I think more likely to get mixed meat in sausage batches than getting steaks mixed up but anything is possible. Why the heck would someone shoot an elk with a shotgun which is illegal anyways.

Bchunter3006
11-14-2011, 11:34 AM
My grandpa's cow from last year had a .22 bullet in the hind quarter. We butcher our own, so figure that one out.

Marlin375
11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Is the shot steel? Maybe the meatcutter's grinder packed it in and somehow a couple of ball bearings got wrapped up with your steaks.
#4 shot is far from buck, more like what you would use on turkeys.....maybe the elk was a victim in a Turkey hunting accident.

moosecaller
11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I saw it first hand when a buddy who had shot a bison from pink mtn. way with birdshot in it's hind quarters/ankles, some of the wounds were healed and some were fresh, apparently the rumour was that people drive the herd onto their land in order to collect the land crossing fee from the lucky leh guys. In that particular year there was a special interest group that was collecting the fees for hunters to get on their land cost him $200 per head in his group to get onto said land to hunt. This was a few years back so I cannot say if this is still a practice there or not.

Mr. Dean
11-14-2011, 12:11 PM
As a kid, I've known farmers to 'scatter away' pests with bird shot.
The theory was that it wouldn't penetrate the hide, just slap em' in the ass.

matt420
11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
either someone else has shot at that elk with a buckshot and it survived,,, or the very obvious and what most likely happend is your butcher mixed your meat in with someone elses meat, my step brother was a butcher for 9 years and he said it happens all the time, it has happend to my buddys dad before he shot his buck in the head with a 30-06 and he had a bullet in his meat, butchers do mix your meat with other peoples and in the end everyone still gets the same amount of meat some butchers just find it easier for them to do a couple at once then one at a time, my step brother has also told me that some butchers will take a roast or 2 off your deer to bring home to your family and then they just replace what ever they took from you with beef ,, so i recommend de-boneing and butchering your own deer then you actually know what happends to your meat

BearStump
11-14-2011, 02:43 PM
since my OP I have investigated a bit more and the steaks that I gave him were from the backstraps, which I did butcher myself. So those pellets were indeed in the animal before I killed it. and it is not someone elses meat.

It was a cow from zone x, so maybe it was a farmer "shooing" it off his fields.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-14-2011, 02:46 PM
My buddy shot a huge blackie a few yrs ago that had shot all over his entire backside.

SSS

Singleshotneeded
11-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Bearstump, was that #4 bird shot, used for turkeys, geese, etc, or #4 Buckshot, which is .24" or 6mm in diameter. Bird shot is tiny
and sometimes farmers use it to get animals out of their crops. Buckshot starts at #4(.24") and goes up to 000 Buck, which is .38"
in diameter.

bforce750
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Bill I didnt think you were using the .410 .

BearStump
11-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Bearstump, was that #4 bird shot, used for turkeys, geese, etc, or #4 Buckshot, which is .24" or 6mm in diameter. Bird shot is tiny
and sometimes farmers use it to get animals out of their crops. Buckshot starts at #4(.24") and goes up to 000 Buck, which is .38"
in diameter.

It was Birdshot.

Island Idiots
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
I shot a cow Elk in Creston a while back and it had a 22 round in it.

Tank
11-14-2011, 05:18 PM
I've pulled a .22 bullet out of a large black bear shot near Quesnel that Willyqbc and I were butchering a few years ago...

teebee
11-14-2011, 06:05 PM
Cut your own meat, I get more satisfaction doing everything myself, except for the ground!

Schutzen
11-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Missed the op's 2nd post.

Mr. Dean
11-15-2011, 01:10 AM
You Dude's NEED to read!!!!

The meat didn't go through a butcher.
So lets quit flaming them and derailing the thread.

since my OP I have investigated a bit more and the steaks that I gave him were from the backstraps, which I did butcher myself. So those pellets were indeed in the animal before I killed it. and it is not someone elses meat.

BCBRAD
11-15-2011, 06:46 AM
For processed meat, pep's ,sausage,meat loaf etc. ask the butcher what a batch weighs. Roger's in PG says around 20lbs is a batch. This almost insures you get your own meat back and seasoned to your liking.

budismyhorse
11-15-2011, 09:47 AM

I was hunting deer in zone x years ago when a local farmer showed up to our lunch fire looking for lost cattle. He then helped himself to a few beers and told us many stories of what he does to ungulates on his property.........all what his pappy taught him. Amoung the stories was shooting them with a 22 "in the guts" so they head to the bush and then die....not on his land.

This cow was pelted with a shotgun 100% I'm sure of it.

huntersam
11-15-2011, 10:47 AM
shot a big mule here in region 8 last year that had birdshot in a few steaks

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2011, 10:53 AM
So I get to work today and my buddy says thanx for the elk steaks that I gave him last week, and that they were real tasty but almost broke his tooth on the buckshot.??WTF?? "What are you talking about" I said. so he pulled out of his pocket, 2 pellets of what appears to be about #4 shot.

I shot this elk once in the boiler room with a 300wsm!!

So either I didn't get my own meat back from the butcher, or some asshat is driving around the east koots shooting at elk with buckshot.

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you guys?

My Gramps shot an old bull moose years ago. Found 2 22 leads flatened againft a shoulderblade and some bird shot in its but it also had a round hole 22 size in 1 ear. He figured it was distroying gardens on the reserve and got "told" to leave by some woman with no sense of humor.

buck nash
11-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Cut your own meat, I get more satisfaction doing everything myself, except for the ground!

Even if I did use a butcher the ground is the part I would always do my self. You are most likely to get contamination from other's game in the ground when having a butcher do it. They usually don't pull the grinder a part between animals for a thoroughcleaning. Plus you can't really f-up making your own ground meat. I use a hand crank grinder and it really takes not much more time then an electric unit. I just get my son to load the hopper while I turn the crank. Works best when the meat is just slightly frozen. I never buy ground meat from a store for the same reasons. All it takes is one cow with E coli to contaminate every other animal processed that day.

Personally I prefer to do it all myself. That way I can sterilize my equipment and kitchen like its a surgical ward. I'm anal that way:-D

3kills
11-15-2011, 12:49 PM
You Dude's NEED to read!!!!

The meat didn't go through a butcher.
So lets quit flaming them and derailing the thread.

thanx mr.dean! I maybe a butcher in a grocery store but it still bugs me when everyone slams butchers cuz of one or two bad guys out there. yes some butchers will mix up but not all. no not all butchers take meat. most times processed meats are done in 20 pound batches cuz thats what there mixes call for.
I butcher my own meat and have for the last 6 or 7 years. I even bought a small electric grinder from crappy tire for just over a hundred bucks that works great for makin burger. it has done probably 5 or so deer and two moose and one elk since I bought it.

I never buy ground meat from a store for the same reasons. All it takes is one cow with E coli to contaminate every other animal processed that day.

ask ur local grcoery store if they grind. any one under the save on foods banner for sure doesnt. it all comes in pre ground and the batches are checked before they leave the plants. even if ur buyin roasts and stuff and grindin it ur self u still have a chance of gettin ecoli very very small chance but the chance is still there. there is a big misconception of where ecoli comes. it doesnt come from burger its spread through cow shit its more often found in burger for several reasons one being that the meat all gets tossed around and its gets mixed in

Dontknow
11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Haven't had this happen to me with game, but have a dog with buckshot in his ass... Some idiot shot him before we got him.
Took him for an xray cause he was tender on the hindquarters after a long weekend of training a couple years ago. Vet said it was one the most interesting xrays she had seen in a while. We got the dog when he was 2, and was probably shooed off in a similar manner. He is now 9 and spry as ever, just has to live with a bit of lead in him.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Wow. I would have never guessed there were that many morons out there shooting big game with birdshot...

buck nash
11-15-2011, 04:33 PM
its more often found in burger for several reasons one being that the meat all gets tossed around and its gets mixed in

That's exactly my point. This is why I grind my self.

whitetail2009
11-15-2011, 09:21 PM
Just got some pepperoni made up from local butcher. I bit into a piece the other night and found a 7.5 birdshot pellet in ! I shot the deer with a 30-06. Trimmed the meat myself and gave it to the butcher. i phone the butcher he says he can't explain, possibly came from the grinder? this butcher guarantees meat is done separately. I guess they don't clean the plates or blades untill all the meat is ground ???

MattW
11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I was hunting deer in zone x years ago when a local farmer showed up to our lunch fire looking for lost cattle. He then helped himself to a few beers and told us many stories of what he does to ungulates on his property.........all what his pappy taught him. Amoung the stories was shooting them with a 22 "in the guts" so they head to the bush and then die....not on his land.

This cow was pelted with a shotgun 100% I'm sure of it.
That is truly disgusting and it should be said that not all farmers are like this

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 01:01 AM
Didn't we just see someone pepper a black bear in the ass in a youtoob vid?????? :rolleyes:

Idiots are everywhere and show no prejudice in the game they torture.

Amphibious
11-16-2011, 07:35 AM
quite a few years ago I was skinning a moose for a client and found the remains of 2 .22lr bullets under the hide. they we heavily calcified, and only when we cut the hard lumps in half did we discover the lead at the center.

budismyhorse
11-16-2011, 08:34 AM
That is truly disgusting and it should be said that not all farmers are like this

Absolutely.......maybe the YouTube boys from kelowna made a road trip? Lol! At least the farmers dont videotape themselves

Long bow
11-16-2011, 10:26 AM
I had a nice WT doe, taken from the Rock creek area butchered and sausages made....same thing..lead shot in the meat

mbway
11-16-2011, 08:59 PM
I just found a bullet healed up in the ribs of this years moose.