PDA

View Full Version : Easy access blacktail areas off the Coquihalla?

realneil
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
I am popping down to the coast for the day on Friday and was wondering if there is any areas before Hope where I could go for a hike in the morning and possibly find blacktails. Looks like there is some logging roads on the west side of the highway. Not sure which of those would be the best option. I have never hunted blacktails before, mostly mule deer. Thanks.

On another note, I have a draw for region 3-42 (muley doe). Wow, I had read a post on this area earlier and many mentioned it was a tough area to find mule deer. They werent kidding! I saw just as many unicorns and I did mule deer. Lots of hiking burns, ridges. Still nice to get out. Some locals (Brennan Creek) had said it has been a tough season in general and the hunting pressure has been high. I now know why I has good odds for getting a draw. Any of you with that draw had success?

Steeleco
11-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Blacktails and Easy are not on the same page. Them that know how to hunt Blacktails find it easy now, but it's not like that in the beginning. There a few roads just north of Hope that you could have a look see. Try Sowaqua on the east or Caroline mines on the west. You can drive part way on either and walk when you feel the urge!! Good luck.

realneil
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks. Haha, I am sure blacktail and easy arent. More just "easy access" or close to the high road access to get started. I dont mind hiking for sure. I was thinking about that area. Thanks again.

stanway
11-14-2011, 03:32 PM
The cut-off for Blacktails is Harrison Lake. The deer in the Hope/Coquihalla area are technically mule deer. I know, I know... the deer (blacktails) look the same on the East side of the lake as the West side. LOL