PDA

View Full Version : 1st ever deer down!

Iron Sighted
11-14-2011, 01:51 AM
So after getting out for a few long day hunts in my local area without spotting any bucks(though I did help my friend fill his doe tag), I made the decision to take a week off work and get a little more serious about trying to get the opportunity to cut my muley tag. I made a call to a friend and after some last minute planning, off we went to region 3.

Three days in to the hunt and there is next to no snow on the ground, the temperatures are much milder than we'd like and the weather is fairly sunny and nice for the most part...I start to wonder if this actually November or if the rut is going to happening at all during this trip. In spite of this we do spot tons of does and a few two points and one three(hunting partner saw two four points in this span, one was big but offered no shot and the other was not large enough for him to want to shoot it, I still hadn't seen a four point yet and would have happily taken the small one he passed up as I had never shot any big game before).

Overnight things started to get better for us, the temperatures dropped, the wind picked up, and it started to snow. This would carry on through the first four hours of day four. Up we get a little before 04:00am and we arrive at the spot we decided to hunt about 40 mins before sunrise with about five inches of new snow on the ground and the wind howling. We each head off our own way and wait for legal shooting light to arrive, then march in to the thicker timber on some small ridges to try and bounce some deer out of their beds. I managed to get four on the move in the first hour, but they all busted me early and only one was a buck, again a smallish two point.

A few minutes past this point I hear a shot and go check it out, my partner has just dropped a decent four point, I congratulate him on his buck, but for me the skunk continues...Fast forward a few hours and we have now covered a few more ridges in the timber in a different area, lots of fresh sign uncovered but no deer spotted so we decide to follow an unfamiliar road to see what it would lead to. We end up driving down a long switchbacking descent with great lines of sight through the trees and brush the whole way down, what a great looking area we are thinking, but we see no tracks on the road anywhere. Then my partner spots a slew of fresh tracks on the side of the road and we jump out to take a look, I am so fixated on getting over to his side of the road to look that I don't notice the five does and one two point standing on my side of the road until I hear my partner laugh while he is telling me to turn around and look...this was a little embarrassing to say the least, six deer within 30' and I missed them all LOL.

We continue down the road until it dead ends and then follow it back up while paying a little more attention(at least in my case) to what may be lurking in the bushes. On the drive back up we spot what we think are the same group of does with a larger two point...still not a shooter seen by me yet, but at least the deer are now showing in numbers and we are starting to see some bucks with does.

Less than two minutes up the road, my partner, while scanning out the drivers side window, slams on the brakes, reverses a few feet and stops again and then slaps my thermos of coffee out of my hands while he says in a terse voice"grab your gun". I needed no further prompting and jumped out the truck while ramming cartridges in to the magazine. I had a peek in the brush where he was looking and saw a nice four point rack showing through the cover. We quickly decided that I should run back down the road to the bottom of the switch back so that we would have him trapped between us. I sprinted down it hoping he wouldn't spook and take off before I was in position(or worse run uphill past my partner who had already filled his tag and would have to just watch it run by). I hustled to where I figured would be a good spot, flipped up the scope caps and rested my thumb on the safety while I tried to calm down and scan the area where I knew he was hiding less than 60 yards away.

After about thirty very tense seconds I hear a call from up top"HERE HE COMES", and out of the cover about twenty five yards to my right this big buck goes blowing by me at top speed trying to get in to the thick stuff across the road and down to the next switch back. I brought the rifle up to my shoulder while pivoting slightly to keep the deer in my vision and had time to line up and squeeze off one shot at about forty yards before he was gone in to the bush again and out of sight. He gave no indication of being hit but I felt that I had gotten off a fairly good shot so I followed his tracks to where I took the shot at him and immediately saw a little blood just a few feet past that. By this time my partner had come down to me and we waited a few minutes while I tried to overcome my excitement(and apprehension, I was really hoping I hadn't hit him with a poor shot) and explain to him how it had gone down. Roughly five minutes passed and we started to track him down, 30 yards in and there was a lot of blood being seen on the snow and I started to get a better feeling. Around 100-120 yards we found him dead on the ground and I got my first good look at my first deer. A quick look and I realized he was a lot bigger than what I anticipated shooting for a first deer. Closer inspection revealed that I had nailed him through the lungs with my shot, and the icing on the cake was that it was with a round that I had handloaded myself for my 7mm RM. A few quick high fives and many thanks to my hunting partner for putting me on to this guy later, I settled behind this big,stinky fella and got some pictures taken of a moment that I'll happily remember for the rest of my days. :-D:-D:-D

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/Iron_Sighted/PB111785.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/Iron_Sighted/PB111783.jpg

Thanks for putting up with the long winded story, hope everyone enjoyed it. I still have a huge $hit eating grin stuck on my face and it is going to be there for a long while to come.

cameron0518
11-14-2011, 02:24 AM
looks like it could be a nice buck. get those larger pics up so we can see it. lol.

dave_fras
11-14-2011, 06:25 AM
nice work!... my first buck was a tiny 3 point hahha!

fearnodeer
11-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Way to go, nice to start on a big buck.

Doe See Doe
11-14-2011, 07:26 AM
Excellent write up, thank you : )
Huge congrats to you on a great buck, well done!

springpin
11-14-2011, 07:28 AM
BIGGER pictures!!

kishman
11-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Nice looking Buck, congrats!

5 spike
11-14-2011, 07:36 AM
congrats on your first buck.

Blacktail
11-14-2011, 07:37 AM
awesome
congrats on a broken cherry

Knute
11-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Congats on a nice looking buck...tho' it's hard to tell with these old eyes...need bigger pics :)

Thanks for the buck tale ;)

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 07:54 AM
cool story and a big congrats on your buck!

uraarchr
11-14-2011, 08:13 AM
good story and nice buck .congrats on the first.they sure r stinky

Tanya
11-14-2011, 08:22 AM
Congratulations on a job well done! Enjoy.

CanuckShooter
11-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Great story, and a very nice first buck!!!

killer_shot
11-14-2011, 09:16 AM
good story congrats now lets see a pic i dont need binos to see

4 point
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Way to go. Nice 1st buck for sure.

ncurrie
11-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Great shot!

Iron Sighted
11-14-2011, 09:42 AM
Thanks for all the congratulations everyone, believe me, I'd really like to post up bigger pictures but I don't know how. Someone help me out??

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 09:46 AM
Thanks for all the congratulations everyone, believe me, I'd really like to post up bigger pictures but I don't know how. Someone help me out??

register at photobucket (http://photobucket.com/) and upload your images there, next copy and paste the IMG code to your HBC post.

you should now be good to go! :)

Iron Sighted
11-14-2011, 10:04 AM
register at photobucket (http://photobucket.com/) and upload your images there, next copy and paste the IMG code to your HBC post.

you should now be good to go! :)

Thank you, the pictures have now been enlarged to the point that the Hubbel telescope will no longer be required to view them : )

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Thank you, the pictures have now been enlarged to the point that the Hubbel telescope will no longer be required to view them : )

you can re-size the images on photobucket if necessary.

try a test and see what happens, you can always delete it.

just trying to help.

greenhorn
11-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Nice deer! Nice remington too :)

Any shots of the antlers from the side? Would be cool to see how deep the forks are.

Nice deer!

tomahawk
11-14-2011, 10:20 AM
awesome
congrats on a broken cherry

Echo!!!!!!

Iron Sighted
11-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Nice deer! Nice remington too :)

Any shots of the antlers from the side? Would be cool to see how deep the forks are.

Nice deer!

Thanks, I'll see if I have any better side profiled pictures to post. The rifle is actually not Remington, it's a Winchester model 70 extreme weather.

cainer
11-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Atta boy- now you're hooked. Thats a damn fine mulie for your first too. Good job

greenhorn
11-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Thanks, I'll see if I have any better side profiled pictures to post. The rifle is actually not Remington, it's a Winchester model 70 extreme weather.

Woops sorry, looked like a remington to me....

Iron Sighted
11-14-2011, 10:44 AM
These are the only other pictures I have, they are pretty similar to the first two I posted, my partner has the rest on his camera.

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/Iron_Sighted/PB111784.jpg

http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n607/Iron_Sighted/PB111782.jpg

Iron Sighted
11-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Woops sorry, looked like a remington to me....

No problem, doesn't matter to me what a person shoots, the result is the only thing that matters. In this case I am happy to say I got the result I was after : )

kennyj
11-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Awesome! What a great first buck.
kenny

matt420
11-14-2011, 02:05 PM
grat job on your first buck man!! congrats! my first buck was a little 2point

sawmill
11-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Great buck!By the way,them ain`t iron sights on that rifle:mrgreen:

peashooter
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Great buck and story!

killer_shot
11-14-2011, 04:49 PM
You fixed the pics ! Thats awesome bro you should be very proud of your self thats a really great first buck. Takes most people a while to get one that nice and shooting him on the run that makes it even sweeter.

11-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Good spotting by buddy but even better on you to get your fist!

Congrats ! Nice one too

CT

patdel
11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Great buck and story. Another tall looking rack and what a awesome first one!

Schutzen
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Well done IS he's a beauty!

spear
11-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Right on, hellnof a first buck I'd say. sounds like you made a great shot too

lovemywinchester
11-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Great buck Jesse! Way to go.

Little Red Man
11-14-2011, 10:04 PM
Good Job!...Nice Deer!....I am mostly a meat hunter, and have never had the patience to let the little guys walk or lucky enough to have a big one found while out and about....sometimes lady luck plays a role! Problem is now, you will be hard pressed to top or even equal that one!

buck nash
11-14-2011, 11:39 PM
Yeah he's a cranker for sure. You nailed the shot on a running deer, under pressure and after running down the road? Not bad man.

cloverphil
11-14-2011, 11:42 PM
nice buck, congratulations

coach
11-14-2011, 11:44 PM
That's an awesome first buck. Great job with the story and pictures too. Congratulations.

moose2
11-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Great looking buck congratulations.
Mike

Ciskman
11-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Nice First Buck! Congrats!

Iron Sighted
11-15-2011, 11:11 AM
Great buck Jesse! Way to go.

Thanks Andrew, how are you liking Kamloops? Too bad your not in Pemby anymore, you're one of the few hunters I know, PM me if you ever end up back around here during hunting season.

Good Job!...Nice Deer!....I am mostly a meat hunter, and have never had the patience to let the little guys walk or lucky enough to have a big one found while out and about....sometimes lady luck plays a role! Problem is now, you will be hard pressed to top or even equal that one!

LOL, trust me patience had nothing to do with this, pretty much all luck and a good hunting partner, this was the first legal buck I had a shot on in four days. I'd bet your right though, I likely won't get a better or equal one in the next few years, but that won't stop me from trying : )

Yeah he's a cranker for sure. You nailed the shot on a running deer, under pressure and after running down the road? Not bad man.

I didn't have to run all that far to get in position and was fortunate enough to have him somewhat trapped between myself and partner, so I had a rough idea of where he would exit if he came my way. He still managed to blow by me pretty quick in spite of that and my shot was taken after he had passed me(almost like a quartering away type angle). Truth be told it wasn't the shot I would have chosen if given a choice but it was the one that presented itself.

guywitha270
11-15-2011, 12:10 PM
That'll do!!