PDA

View Full Version : Are you really this dumb?

fowlweather
11-13-2011, 11:50 PM
so... just a post to some of the idiots that were in the bush last weekend when i was deer hunting, and some of the people that have done it before to my dad:

why is it that even on an old fsr when we are parked on a pullout and are walking up to the top of the mountain that there is another hunter that soon believes that because we are parked there, it must be a good spot so he should stop and walk up in after us. I still cant believe why any person would:
A) be a total d1ck for maybe scaring away game
B) put themselves or us at risk because if we were stupid and we could hear noise and shoot them
C)want to go up a mountain that somebody is already on

i have no problem if someone is on the next mountain or i run into them because we are both out walking, but when another hunter follows your tracks up the mountain and you don't know of their presence and just appears or you come down and see their truck beside yours, and their tracks in the snow following yours i get pissed off.

if you have ever had a similar experience please extrapolate

Bchunter3006
11-14-2011, 12:04 AM
It happens a lot, whether you like it or not... I'm with you on this one, but it will always happen. Although, its possible they thought that you guys walked in a different direction from the pullout. That's common. Last weekend goat hunting, my dad and I followed my uncle and a buddy into a spot, and on the way out, encountered 3 tied horses and the tracks of 2 others that walked into the same spot as well. We decided to just back out because of the pressure. After we left, another guy rode in on a mountain bike. 10 people in one spot, in one day. It didn't bother me too much, as there was a lot of country once you are into that area, and a lot of goats. But like I said, these things happen.

Singleshotneeded
11-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Happens too often, this one guy this season got me a bit irked: I was in the trees watching a clear cut, my vehicle parked on the logging
road so the trees would hide it, and this idiot parks his truck on the side of the road beside the little cut I was hunting...100 yards away!
I was contemplating putting a round in the "o" of the Ford on his tailgate. Grrr, that's just plain ignorant. I mean, if it was a massive
clear cut I could understand, but a small one like that made him a perfect moron!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-14-2011, 12:26 AM
Maybe "your spot" is their spot too?!?

Maybe they followed your tracks hoping that you veered off at some point and they had their ultimate destination in mind regardless of the fact you guys were in the area.

Allen50
11-14-2011, 12:36 AM
hummm here noise and shoot,, intresting, i would not want to be around you if you shoot at noise,, thats what you said (B),,, intresting,

Whonnock Boy
11-14-2011, 12:47 AM
B) put themselves or us at risk because if we were stupid and we could hear noise and shoot them

hummm here noise and shoot,, intresting, i would not want to be around you if you shoot at noise,, thats what you said (B),,, intresting,

Read again. 'If' they were 'stupid'.

Jagermeister
11-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Instead of hiking up the road to the top of the mountain, take the unbeaten human trail and hike around the mountain. Not much chance of seeing too many that way.

ryanb
11-14-2011, 01:49 AM
The bush isn't yours or theirs, it's for everyone to enjoy. I don't recall ever being annoyed at encoutering another hunter, even when it's obvious I was already in there. There are 360 degrees on the compass rose, and just cause he followed you up a road, doesn't mean he was going to take a different direction at some point. As far as safety you can only hope others are safety conscious. Insisting people don't hunt in areas near you for safety reasons is a bit idiotic if you ask me.

Ry151
11-14-2011, 02:17 AM
I put a lot of thought and planing into an area the days before I leave for a hunt so I'm not going to leave just because someone else is there also. I will try to be respectful if your their first and maybe park beside your truck even if I planed on parking farther up the road than you, but i will walk the extra distance so I don't drive into an area wrecking your hunt.
If you want an area completely to yourself than talk to some ranchers to see if you can access their land, lots are willing.

elkdom
11-14-2011, 07:21 AM
on ANY crown Land ,just because someone parked their vehicle and walked or rode off to hunt on an ATV or horse does NOT make the area exclusively theirs !

and if I chose to also hunt that same area, and they took it upon themselves to vent their displeasure about the fact ? I would tell them to pi$$ off in NO uncertain terms !!

Crown Land is NOT reserved , just because someone arrives there before the next guy!!

Deeboe
11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Frustrating no doubt... Perhaps you stumbled upon 'his' honey hole..... I've been there before and all you can do is shrug and carry on. Its worse when you are bugling in the big one and someone road-hunting hears the calling and marches in to push your trophy over the next mountain...... like I said, all you can do it shrug and carry on to hunt another day...

fowlweather
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Instead of hiking up the road to the top of the mountain, take the unbeaten human trail and hike around the mountain. Not much chance of seeing too many that way.

we were hiking straight up, we werent on a road or anything. we parked on a road and went from there, this guy thought that it must be a good spot so he went up too

i understand that it is public land, but what i cant get is why he thinks it is safe to walk up with another hunter who doesnt know hes there. shouldnt the next pullout 500 yds up the road be just as good?

green machine
11-14-2011, 09:30 AM
first did you talk to the guy,how do you know he thought it must be a good spot. second. how can you say that it is not safe for another hunter to walk up a road or in to an area were ther is another hunter. are we supose to walk through the bush yelling HAY I AM WALKING UP THIS ROAD SO PLEASE DON'T SHOOT AT ME, i would hope that anbody hunting anywere is going to properly identify what they are shooting at before they pull the trigger. i have run in to people in "my spot" lots of times, wish them good luck if you see them and carry on.

Gun Dog
11-14-2011, 09:31 AM
A few years ago I was settling in to watch a big field and I spied another person come down and settle in on the other side (~300y away). He spotted me (I guess I wasn't as hidden as I thought) and came over for a pow-wow. He and his buddy had come in from the South side. We had come in from the North. It was their last day. It was our second so we left. It turns out they were camped right next to us at the rec site. They got their deer; we all had a beer and it was good. It's all about Karma.

11-14-2011, 09:50 AM
A few years ago I was settling in to watch a big field and I spied another person come down and settle in on the other side (~300y away). He spotted me (I guess I wasn't as hidden as I thought) and came over for a pow-wow. He and his buddy had come in from the South side. We had come in from the North. It was their last day. It was our second so we left. It turns out they were camped right next to us at the rec site. They got their deer; we all had a beer and it was good. It's all about Karma.

Ex freeking zactley!
How do you know how he got to where you are, and even if you know he was parked right beside you he has every right to be there as you.
I really hate these "Dick in the bush" threads, Especially when it was about another guy out hunting. What are you expecting to get out of this?

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 09:55 AM
when this happens, it's time to find another place to hunt, where less folk go.

don't get angry, as we all have a right to crown land.

this is my land, this is your land.

emerson
11-14-2011, 09:55 AM
I have walked by someone sitting in a low percentage, unproductive, but easy spot on a wide walking train and shot a moose 1.5 km farther. I won't go in if the spot is small and someone is ahead of me, but there is a lot of country out there, and often I see home made tree stands that may be more productive down south used by those sitting up here (PG). Also, maybe you were in "his" spot. And it could be that the other hunter is in fact a "dumbass".

abbyfireguy
11-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Its good to vent sometimes. We all understand that. There are times when people hike up a one way road/trail into a small clearcut and have a person they see regularly grind their way up past their truck all the way into where they know others are glassing.
I understand the frustration with that as I'm sure we all do.
There's not much we can do. Personally if someone gets into a very small area that I know where they are hunting ,why would I hunt on top of them.
Thats just me ,I just hope others are as considerate,but unfortunately its all about me and I own this wilderness attitude with a lot of folks.
Chill out and enjoy the woods,sure beats the crap out of sitting at home with crabby teenagers and PM'sing wives((Ooops thats gonna leave a mark!!)

dingdongdenny
11-14-2011, 11:06 AM
same happend to me years ago, got to my spot parked off to the side sent my buddy into the slash and proceeded to walk to the the next and only slash being the end of the road,and some bleep bleep drove right past me.So figuring well this hunt is a right off and went to find my buddy as the slash was small maybe 700 to 1000yd long got over the hill and out comes a 2spike, smoked him and while i was gutting him my buddy comes along and said i was just here and didn't see him. Just goes to show you never know they do move around.Still it wasn't nice.

killer
11-14-2011, 11:30 AM
was hunting my timber spot this weekend i have hunted it for years .we got dropped off below the timber walked up through a steep slash ,once in the timber i went left partner went right well long story short i shot a decent duece my partner never saw an animal but he did run into three other hunters two came in from above and the other came in the same way we did .partner was pissed off but i feel we are all aloud to hunt wherever as long as u are on public grounds u can bet that there will be others in your favorite spots.hunt safe and share the outdoors with others alot of the times other hunters in your area can help push animals towards each other.

CanuckShooter
11-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Ever think maybe he followed your tracks so he could steal your game cams??? OR, maybe he wanted to see if you were stealing his cams or climbers???

aliagha
11-14-2011, 01:03 PM
I made a sign that reads: Be cautious, active hunting and shooting is going on in the area with my initials at the bottom. everytime I go for hiking i will post it at the beginning of the trail to alert other hunters/hikers and if i get lost in the bush, it will point out my location to the search and rescue!

CanuckShooter
11-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I made a sign that reads: Be cautious, active hunting and shooting is going on in the area with my initials at the bottom. everytime I go for hiking i will post it at the beginning of the trail to alert other hunters/hikers and if i get lost in the bush, it will point out my location to the search and rescue!

Good idea!!!

IronNoggin
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
I understand what a lot are saying - no-one "owns" any particular area of Crown Land, and thus it is anyone's "right" to hunt it...

On the other hand there is a limit in my mind's eye. A line where ETHICS should come into focus. IF you are aware of someone in ahead of you, especially in the case of smaller areas, why in God's Name would you follow them in? Doing so has every chance of royally pissing off another hunter (who under different circumstances might end up calling you friend), and has every chance of disrupting the hunt of those already in.

This has happens so many times to my Crew on the Island, this year in particular, that we do not hunt weekends any more. The worst have been quads, fellows who KNOW you are in there, but cannot resist the urge to run their noisy machines in to see why. In one case to the point of cutting new trails, and forcing their machines up into an area where there were no previous trails - all in order to "discover" why we might have been there. Intolerable, unethical behavior IMHO.

When this occurs without intent, of course it is easily forgiven. When it is done without regard to others trying to enjoy the same pursuit, I have NO use whatsoever for these Fools which Fowlweather rightfully describes as DumbAsses! :evil:

Just this Redneck's 2 Peso's...
Nog

Mr. Dean
11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
There is no spot that is mine and there is no spot that is theirs.

But if I happen onto a fella that's already in a spot that I wanna hunt, I let him. If I don't have a plan B, I create one.
Early Bird Gets The Worm and I can respect that.

peashooter
11-14-2011, 01:38 PM
So just out of curiosity how much did you pay for that particular piece of land, you know that one that you have exclusive rights to hunt, yeah that one.

Philcott
11-14-2011, 01:57 PM
It's not about having exclusive rights to a piece of land it's about not interfering with someone else's hunt.

It sounds like some of you saying you would happily climb into a clearcut (and I'm not talking about a 300 hundred acre cut here) to hunt when you already know there is someone else set up in there? Unbelievable.

ravensfoot
11-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I understand what a lot are saying - no-one "owns" any particular area of Crown Land, and thus it is anyone's "right" to hunt it...

On the other hand there is a limit in my mind's eye. A line where ETHICS should come into focus. IF you are aware of someone in ahead of you, especially in the case of smaller areas, why in God's Name would you follow them in? Doing so has every chance of royally pissing off another hunter (who under different circumstances might end up calling you friend), and has every chance of disrupting the hunt of those already in.

Nog

X2 - I fully agree.
No it's not "our land" just asking for a little bit of respect. How hard is it to just accept that someone else is in that area and to just move on. I will always turn around or go on to the next spot when I see someone has arrived before me. Why would anyone want to potentially piss another fellow hunter off by knowingly entering an already occupied spot? It's pretty sad that we who prefer to hunt alone need to resort to weekday hunting because others take on the attitude of "it's not your forest" and charge right into an area, occupied or not. I actually had a guy come and literally sit right behind me (25 yards away) while I was calling in some bull elk. Did he think it was going to be a "quickest draw" gets the bull? And yes, he was well aware I was there.

rocksteady
11-14-2011, 02:20 PM
Any thoughts that these guys were "inexperienced" rather than dumb????

Maybe one of their hunting buddies told some new hunters, you go up this road, park here and hike up to the top of this ridge and oyu can glass forever and its a eutopia of game aplenty running everywhere????

And maybe being new hunters they did not know the tell tale signs and options when they came onto "your mountain"....

I have been given a few "tips" from guys over the years and showed up and its afriggin gong show, so I move to option B...Maybe the other hunters do not have enough experience or areas to go for a plan B...

308Lover
11-14-2011, 02:32 PM
This post is about ethics and politeness, not about who owns the land or has a right to hunt anywhere. For example, if I turn down a FSR and see a vehicle ahead of me, I turn around. If I see someone hunting close by, I choose another place to hunt. AND IT'S NOT BECAUSE I CAN'T. IT'S THE SPORTING THING TO DO! I have been run out of an area because idiots set up shop right next to my camp (about 100 metres). I guess I'm getting old, because in my time we gave people some elbow room to enjoy the wilderness. If I want people up my A--, I'll go visit the Lower Mainland.

Singleshotneeded
11-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I agree that an entire mountain as the original poster mentioned is asking way too much to keep to yourself, but I'd hope
that the majority of HBC folks wouldn't park beside a small clearcut that a hunter is already watching...that's just plain
disrespectful in my opinion.

rocksteady
11-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Here is another thought.....

Me and a buddy were out hunting an area along the Kootenay, a truck drives down and parks right beside ours, 2 people get out with dogs and start wandering right up to us....We think What The???? They were "geocaching", I guess its the newest trend.. So what we originally what we thought were 2 ignorant arseholes for driving right into where we were hunting, were actually there for another reason....

Singleshotneeded
11-14-2011, 02:47 PM
Lol, tough to get miffed when they're looking for a "cache" that someone before them planted in the cut you're hunting! :-)
The hero in the Ford truck had a rifle barrel sticking out his driver window, so I reckon he wasn't playing games out there...

rocksteady
11-14-2011, 03:00 PM
The hero in the Ford truck had a rifle barrel sticking out his driver window, so I reckon he wasn't playing games out there...

I hear you, it can be frustrating....BUT sometimes they are out there doing their thing with no intention of screwing up your hunt...Fo all you know its was a grizzled old senior, with a plastic knee who can't walk more than 20 yards, who dropped off his Grandson 2 kms back who was going to hike the ridge and meet up with Gramps at the block????

That is why I prefer to hunt areas where I know that I will be the only person....Takes more effort and time (hiking in the dark), but usually I do not see other hunters.....