PDA

View Full Version : white tail does with mulie buck

rides bike to work
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
So I saw 4 does al close together in a tght group and I noticed 2 of them are white tails.Than a nice 4point muley gets up right in the middle of them and they all start moving off.Is that muley gonna mount those whiteys can they do that.To bad they were 50 feet behind a no hunting sign or I would have put a stop to the whole fiasco.

The Dawg
11-13-2011, 11:17 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_J3zMY9sgt9A/TCnuj3kqLkI/AAAAAAAAAJc/Q5rrDRXNEVA/s1600/canofworms.gif

2wheellifer
11-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Just another guy looking for a little something strange.

Steeleco
11-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I'd say they can, I've seen 2 cross breed deer in the woods. Both does, large mulie type heads and ears, white tail rump.

Gunner Staal
11-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Biggest mule buck I'veever seen in OK Mountain Park was in a big draw with three whitey doe.

matt420
11-14-2011, 01:26 AM
hell ya they are cross breeding, i have a corss breed rack above my front door one side is mule and the other side is whitetail, a buddy of mine has a head mount of a crossbreed, and when i shot my 5x4 whitetail buck this year he was with 4 muley doe, and im sure that plenty of other hunters on here have seen proof of them corssbreeding

Knute
11-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I read recently that the mulie buck/whitetail doe offspring has a high mortality rate.

Whitetail buck/mulie doe offspring has a much better chance at survival.

If I recall correctly the whitetail as a species is a much older specimen than mulies.

Just what I've read, no clue if it's the real scoop or not.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 07:58 AM
it's a cunning plan by those whitetails, to eliminate those mulies, which are the whitetail's nemesis.

LukaTisus
11-14-2011, 08:58 AM
Lol wouldn't that cross make blacktails? :P

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Lol wouldn't that cross make blacktails? :P

don't ask, it's a very, very grey area ....

:mrgreen:

BearStump
11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I read recently that the mulie buck/whitetail doe offspring has a high mortality rate.

Whitetail buck/mulie doe offspring has a much better chance at survival.

If I recall correctly the whitetail as a species is a much older specimen than mulies.

Just what I've read, no clue if it's the real scoop or not.

It appears that whitetails are interbreeding with english bulldogs aswell. according to your avatar.

1/2 slam
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM
hell ya they are cross breeding, i have a corss breed rack above my front door one side is mule and the other side is whitetail, a buddy of mine has a head mount of a crossbreed, and when i shot my 5x4 whitetail buck this year he was with 4 muley doe, and im sure that plenty of other hunters on here have seen proof of them corssbreeding

I hope you have more proof than the rack.

11-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Dr Valerius Geist has published some material on this, some of which is in his great book "Mule Deer Country". His theory is that mulie bucks have a difficult time breeding the much more agile whitey doe and this type of hybrid is thus rare. Mulie bucks just cannot keep pace with whitey does. More common are whitey bucks breeding mulie does as the more agile whitey bucks can easily cope with the less agile mulie doe. The hybrids thus generated represent a net loss to the mule deer herd productivity. He also claims the hybrids rarely live to be adults because they do not possess normal escape behavior and fall prey to predators. The hybids are also sterile. It's also commonly accepted that a hybrid cannot usually be identified by antlers alone. The only sure (short of DNA sampling) way to visually identify a hybrid is by the tail. A hybrid usually has a much larger whitey type flag tail like with a very dark upper and black tip instead of the usual brown color of a whitey tail and will usually be running with a mulie doe.

CanuckShooter
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
I've seen [one with fawn] and shot WT does that have exactly the same colouration as mulie does, the only difference I could determine was the ears were about 1/3 smaller and the WT tail. I have also seen WT does with nice mulie bucks on several occassions. We always thought that WT does had a colouration more along the lines of an elk?? and kind of presumed these does were crosses??

CanuckShooter
11-14-2011, 12:09 PM

We shot a bull moose one season, his right side antler was deformed and laying down the side of his face, his left side antler was exactly like a 4pt mulie antler....he didn't taste like a mulie so I don't think he was a x-breed!!!

matt420
11-14-2011, 02:00 PM
CanuckShooter your a moron man haha people like you make me laugh, obviously your moose isnt a crossbreed with a deer iv seen moose grow antlers like that all the time, if you put your glasses back on and read what i said again you will see that i said nothing to do with moose crossbreeding, but i know for a fact that the whitetail and mule deer are crossbreeding i know too many people with mounts of crossbreeds and they didnt kno what to tagg it as, a couple of them even asked a CO and they had no idea cuz it had features of both whitetail and muley, and 1/2slam i will try to dig through all my memory cards over the years of hunting and try to fnd a full body pic of my crossbreed buck, he had ever feature of a muley but his tail was a full out whitetails tail and one side of antler grew like a whitetail

We shot a bull moose one season, his right side antler was deformed and laying down the side of his face, his left side antler was exactly like a 4pt mulie antler....he didn't taste like a mulie so I don't think he was a x-breed!!!

mark
11-14-2011, 08:21 PM
he had ever feature of a muley but his tail was a full out whitetails tail and one side of antler grew like a whitetail

Identify deer species from the ass, if your deer had a whitey ass and tail, it is a whitetale 100%.
Antlers are the last thing to look at for ID.

shed-hunter1
11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
on the day whitetail does opened i had a group of 4 deer looking at me 2 were defintaly mulie does then this one had a mulie head and about a 3 foot tail jet black on the outside and pure white on the inside it looked like a cross i didnt know wheter to shoot or not about this time a small spiker whitetail walked out so i droped him would you guys have shot the crossbreed or not

1/2 slam
11-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Identify deer species from the ass, if your deer had a whitey ass and tail, it is a whitetale 100%.
Antlers are the last thing to look at for ID.

Absolutely correct.

CanuckShooter
11-14-2011, 11:55 PM
Hey 420 ... You missing the point?? Just because your antlers look like that doesn't make the deer a cross...dumbos like you amaze me, sure hope your not breeding . ;-)