PDA

View Full Version : Boone & Crocket measuring question

untilthelastbeat
11-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Does anybody know why they dont ask for the length of tines when measuring moose antlers? sorry if this is a stupid question and im missing something...

boxhitch
11-13-2011, 09:11 PM
For moose, someone determined that a trophy has bigger boards, tines don't matter as much.
Large paddles generally indicate an older mature animal, that may have very little for tine left.
Lots of ancient old two-on-the-brow bulls don't make the ten count because of the rounded paddle tops.

40incher
11-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Acrtually, I believe Safari Club measures moose on the length of every tine, and all of the other measurements of length and width of each palm plus spread and base circumference Boone and Crockett is somewhat hung up on symmetry. If you got a big one with long points get it scored by a SCI scorer.

untilthelastbeat
11-13-2011, 09:32 PM
ok thanks alot guys. so older bulls are determined by wide paddles and sometimes rounded tops? just wondering because the bull i took out of PG area this year has two bladed points on each brow and is only 7x8 but has the rounded tops of his paddles and they are atleast 13 inches wide. very symetrical and is 48 wide but only nets 114 acording to my measurement. but with every tine measured he would net 185.25... quite the difference. this is my first time measuring an animal so i jsut want to get it right.

11-13-2011, 11:43 PM
Maybe you did something wrong or forgot to add in a measurement. It's highly unlikely a 48" moose with 13" wide paddles would only score 114.
What were the paddle lengths, what were the circumferences at the base? Did you measure around the curvature at the edges of the paddles?

If the greatest spread is 48" and the paddles are 13" wide and 30" long, and the bases were 8" the final score should be somewhere around 150.

Darksith
11-15-2011, 02:40 AM
a good idea would be to get someone with experience in scoring to help you, that would give you an idea of what you did right and wrong. Don't sweat too much your net score via web page instructions. First hand learning is the best way to get you going on the right and wrong ways to do it.