PDA

View Full Version : What a difference a day makes.

shotgunjohn
11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Well we had a slow day on Saturday with four birds and not many more seen. Thought it might have been due to the big blow Friday afternoon so we decided to give the same spot another try on Sunday.
Started out like it was going to a repeat of the day before but then about an hour in the skies started raining birds.
Walked back in the door of the house at 9:05 with our two bird limits.
Just one of those days when it all seems to come together.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/PB120057.jpg

A happy dog!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/PB120062.jpg

The aftermath.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/PB120061.jpg

And the work is almost done.

lorneparker1
11-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Awesome job guys!! Love the pluckers! man that is alot of work. all done by hand or with a plucker?

Crazy_Farmer
11-13-2011, 06:24 PM
Great pictures, looks like a bunch of big fat mallards.

I dont envy the plucking though,

Foxton Gundogs
11-13-2011, 06:34 PM
PLUCK!!!! Thats a lot of work but well worth it.. Nice shoot guys

Chilliwack
11-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Nice birds, I always pluck our birds too as I feel they roast up better with the skin left on. Hard work I know but well worth the effort.

fowlweather
11-13-2011, 08:56 PM
wow way to go guys

Tanya
11-14-2011, 06:37 AM
Awesome job guys!! Love the pluckers! man that is alot of work. all done by hand or with a plucker?

Thanks, we use our fingers. We do some, usually the big fatties, fully plucked for beer can style cooking, and others we partially pluck then breast and leg for other cooking applications. Interesting to see the colour variations, some obviously corn fed, others although fat were not yellow.

Ian F.
11-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Well done and looks like they where "well shot", not many red dots on those!

Beachcomber
11-14-2011, 12:02 PM
fully plucked for beer can style cooking, .

I am probably going to look like an arse here but what is that, exactly?

Gunner
11-14-2011, 12:32 PM
There is a beer can holder available,you drink half the beer,put the can in the holder and then shove the ducks cavity down over the can.Then cook in the oven or on the bbq!We have the double can holder,my wife did 2 chickens on it the other night,very moist and flavouful.The technique might raise some eyebrows at a proper English luncheon!:mrgreen: Cheers,Gunner

Foxton Gundogs
11-14-2011, 12:41 PM
I am probably going to look like an arse here but what is that, exactly?

I'm sure everyone has their own version but mine is as follows. Rub your favorite seasoning on the skin insert 1/2 a small pealed orang and 1/2 an onion in the gut cavity open a can of beer and take a good drink, put it on the bbq set an old angel food cake pan over the 3/4 full beer can with the can inside the tower in the center of the pan place the duck down upright with the centre tower of the angel food cake pan up its butt and roast till done, baste every now and then with your favorite basting liquid.

MMMMM

Tanya
11-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Yup, pretty much what Gunner and FG said. We have a rack that holds 2 beer cans ( we actually cut the rack down a bit for use exculsively under duck-butts) Our favorite thus far is red wine in the beer tin. Be sure the bbq is heated up very well before putting critters in so that you get a nice browned duck. Have use apple slices in beer under the duck as well and it was pretty good, but the wine was better. Also, as Gunner stated make sure you have a tray of some kind under the beer tins or you will have a blaze. The photo below was the method we used prior to owning said rack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/BeercanMallard002.jpg

Foxton Gundogs
11-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Yup, pretty much what Gunner and FG said. We have a rack that holds 2 beer cans ( we actually cut the rack down a bit for use exculsively under duck-butts) Our favorite thus far is red wine in the beer tin. Be sure the bbq is heated up very well before putting critters in so that you get a nice browned duck. Have use apple slices in beer under the duck as well and it was pretty good, but the wine was better. Also, as Gunner stated make sure you have a tray of some kind under the beer tins or you will have a blaze. The photo below was the method we used prior to owning said rack.

Sounds interesting have to give the wine a try maybe cherry whiskeyor brandy as well. Thats why I like the Angel Food pan all combined, wont let the beer can tip and holds the bird well with no dripping.

field marshal
11-14-2011, 03:35 PM
You're right Tanya, plucking a duck is the only way to go. We like them roasted with a sausage and bread stuffing and browned to perfection! The gravey
ohhhhhhhhh@~!# the beautiful sauce poured over mashed potatoes and other root veggies, mmmmmmm. That's it I'm getting a couple ready right now
Might even wash it all down with a cold beer???? Oh did I mention I've had a lifelong WEIGHT problem?? Great shoot you guys had!!
Cheers----Field Marshal.

Freshtracks
11-14-2011, 04:28 PM

That is JUST SO WRONG to post ... unless one can share. :tongue:

Mmmmm ... it's been a number of years since my last roast greenhead.

Tanya
11-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Foxy; I have tried it in the past with using part juice and part water, thinking the sweet thing and ducks usually go together. I was really disappointed, it was too sweet and not at all what I was hoping for. Could be our palates, but we all agreed, so...dunno. I think I am going to stick with the red wine, and possibly try the odd spice like coriander or herb such as rosemary. Now I am salavating :)

behemoth
11-14-2011, 04:43 PM
This thread just made me run out to get my migratory permit!

Tanya
11-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Sorry Freshtracks, that pic is a couple years old, leftovers are gone. I think we need to get Marc to install "smellaviewing" on here......well, maybe not. :lol:

Foxton Gundogs
11-14-2011, 06:35 PM
Foxy; I have tried it in the past with using part juice and part water, thinking the sweet thing and ducks usually go together. I was really disappointed, it was too sweet and not at all what I was hoping for. Could be our palates, but we all agreed, so...dunno. I think I am going to stick with the red wine, and possibly try the odd spice like coriander or herb such as rosemary. Now I am salavating :)

Good to know I'm not big on 2 sweet did some breasts with a orange marmalade/ginger/contreau glaze the othr night bordereed on TO sweet/

nano
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Looks great Tanya, but if you really wanna take that beer can duck to the next level try brining it then smoking it. It will be super juicy and have a nice crust!

finngun
11-14-2011, 07:52 PM
i woud be very careful to make my ducks with those beer can... why ? becouse paint [whatever] it is on cans it is not designe to taking heat of the roasting food...and might leak to the meat

before you do it please make sure that is safe way ...to do it...cheers..f-g

wccougar
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Hey Tanya, Dinner looks good! What does duck taste like? I have never had it. What is in the tomatoes?

wccougar
11-14-2011, 08:15 PM
Oh and Robin wants to know when he gets to come duck hunting lol!!!!

Tanya
11-15-2011, 06:54 AM
Looks great Tanya, but if you really wanna take that beer can duck to the next level try brining it then smoking it. It will be super juicy and have a nice crust!

Hmm, Nano that sounds very good. We smoke geese now and then, ducks would be easy. Must try that.

Duck tastes like duck ( unless it's a fishy one ) not much else that tastes the same. Can't remember what was in the tomatoes, likely cheese, panko crumbs and shrimp.

trapperdan2061
11-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Nice shoot, now thats some plucking.....

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2011, 11:06 AM
Hmm, Nano that sounds very good. We smoke geese now and then, ducks would be easy. Must try that.

Duck tastes like duck ( unless it's a fishy one ) not much else that tastes the same. Can't remember what was in the tomatoes, likely cheese, panko crumbs and shrimp.
Try a brine of Jack Daniels and cranberry juice(not to sweet) and whatever spice you like. If you dont like the duck you can always drink the gravey lol....Serious about the brine tho it comes out good

Tanya
11-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Actually, the last ones we did I brined in red wine and spices, but didn't smoke them...MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!! So many possibilities...going to do one today in an Asian style brine, soya, 5 star, garlic...

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Well we should "all" get together for a tasteing sometime. Everyone has to bring a couple done in their favorit recipe/style we could invite the food network the possabilities would be endless out own reality show...."DUCK WARS" lol

Tanya
11-15-2011, 03:33 PM
LOL! We'd "kill" on the Food Channel :)

Beachcomber
11-15-2011, 04:01 PM
There is a beer can holder available,you drink half the beer,put the can in the holder and then shove the ducks cavity down over the can.Then cook in the oven or on the bbq!We have the double can holder,my wife did 2 chickens on it the other night,very moist and flavouful.The technique might raise some eyebrows at a proper English luncheon!:mrgreen: Cheers,Gunner

That is fantastic. Raising eyebrows here is not hard but I am immune now. The can up the duck's backside will be making its debut this holiday season in Hampstead (Possibly even the double can provided I can clobber a second duck by then - might have to use a pheasant)

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2011, 05:31 PM
LOL! We'd "kill" on the Food Channel :)

And they think that Ramsey dude is tough and out of control LMFatAO

Marc
11-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Nice mess of birds! The lards are falling everywhere!