PDA

View Full Version : Sabiston Lake/Red Lake

Gunner Staal
11-13-2011, 03:59 PM
Tried this area for the first time all weekend. Im a Region 8 guy but got some advice and tried something new. Nice country....lots of guys. Saw a few bucks after the snow squals yesterday, nothing over 3 points. I was surprised to see as few deer as I did, and even more surprised to still see the doe roaming solo. Anyone have any better luck in this area or see much rutting action in general?? Seems things are slow getting going.

Busterbrown
11-13-2011, 05:34 PM
I spent four days at Red Lake last week.Saw lots of does running alone or with last years fawn. I did see one small 4 pt on the first day that I passed on .He did not have a swollen up neck and was alone.Great country and I also was surprised at the number of hunters that arrived on Thurs of the long weekend. I mayhead back up next week ,hope the rut is still goin

walks with deer
11-13-2011, 07:24 PM
Rut has tamed down saw many lowner bedded bucks this weekend

kako99
11-13-2011, 08:32 PM
was there this weekend aswell saw 2 4x4's and one 3x4 get takin by other hunters. I saw lots of does and fawns one spiker and another buck that had some nice gear on it but didnt give me the time to see what it was.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Red Lake is a very popular spot and although it is alright I think it is somewhat overrated. It puts out a few decent bucks every year, but I don't think that's something you couldn't say about lots of other region 3 spots too. Suites me fine if it has to be the out-of-towner magnet and relives pressure on the areas I like to hunt!

You picked a very popular spot on probably the busiest deer hunting weekend (for region 3). Mix that with being in a slightly better than mediocre area and I would say you what you saw was reasonable. Was out a few days over the weekend and saw several bucks on does, so I'm guessing the rut is progressing nicely. I don't think you missed out on crazy action that is going to erupt the following week.

BCHunterTV
11-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Red Lake has been the sh1ts for a few years now,