PDA

View Full Version : shooting near railway

Matty_ola
11-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Gonna head out to do some hunting and I found a great spot near the railway. I looked in the regs but I fail to see any laws about how far from the rail I need to be to discharge a firearm????

I'll be firing a shotgun with shot only. Not a single projectile

Anyone got any info?

Thanks

Brett
11-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think this is an issue, that being said it is technically CNs or CPs property and if there police chose to enforce it you'de be SOL

Livewire322
11-13-2011, 04:29 PM
might take a lot of buckshot to kill a train ;D
depends on how far the land is from the railway, if its CN/CP land then you would need their permission to hunt.

nano
11-13-2011, 04:32 PM
When I am hunting neara railroad I follow the same rules as if it were a building. 100m no shooting, hope this helps.

Nano

bearhunter338-06
11-13-2011, 07:21 PM
I hunt pheasants along the railroad track and never had any problems from the RCMP or Railroad police.

Matty_ola
11-13-2011, 08:14 PM
Great info, I'm thinking if I stay off the raised gravel the tracks lay on I should be fine. I'm gonna try that and I guess as long as I'm not shooting while a train is in the area I should be okay.

Thanks for the info fellas.

finngun
11-13-2011, 10:00 PM
what distance from railway-- its CN/CP land 5 m from the tracks,or what? each way thanx f-g

meesemoot
11-14-2011, 12:12 AM
I believe the railways own 50 feet on both sides of the middle of the tracks. Right up to the fence and the trees. Unauthorized persons are considered trespassers. If you treat it as if it is private property, a workplace, and a highway all rolled into one, you'll probably be okay. Whatever you do, don't shoot across or down the tracks, since workers can be anywhere at any time, and not always behind a bulletproof windshield.

Gun Dog
11-14-2011, 09:37 AM
To encourage railway development a hundred years ago the government granted huge right-of-ways to which can be hundreds of yards wide. Just don't shoot down or across their tracks.