PDA

View Full Version : Even the "bad" days are pretty good.

Foxton Gundogs
11-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Well poped over to the marsh for a couple of hours this morning. Things were slow but managed to pull off a mixed limit, 3 Mallards, 4 Widgeon and a GW Teal. AND just to make life interesting Coots started buzzing the deeks like teal low and fast, never seen them do that before. I've shot my share for camp meat when big game hunting as the "ran" but this was new and fun. 6 Coots in the bag I bet they will go well in some sausage, we'll see.:confused:

Proud Girl
http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n499/FoxtonGundogs/untitled-1.png

field marshal
11-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Good morning Jim! Shoot me a couple of coots we don't see them where we are any more!!!! Cheers---Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
11-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Nice mixed bad, dont see coots added to the bag too often on here though. Could of blacktopped one in a slough nearby but they always appear so happy on the water I didnt want to ruin its day. Plus their eyes and feet scare the living bejesus out of me so I couldnt do it.

lorneparker1
11-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Sweet shoot jim!!!

Nice work on the green chicken footers!

Lorne

longshot
11-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Thats cool you had coots flying!! I have only seen one once while hunting and it was on a large freshwater pond... never came close enough to wack though ;)

Crazy_Farmer
11-14-2011, 10:02 PM
I have a few theories on Coots.

1. They only fly in the middle of the night (becuase I've never seen one in flight)

2. They migrate underwater through sloughs, lakes, and the water in ditches on the side of the road (becuase I've never seen one in flight)

And 3. They are sortof like a moth or butterfly. They start life as ugly coots, and transform into Canvasbacks (becuase when I went canvasback hunting all I found was Coots which I believe molt into cans later in the year)

Coots give me nightmares.

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
I have a few theories on Coots.

1. They only fly in the middle of the night (becuase I've never seen one in flight)

2. They migrate underwater through sloughs, lakes, and the water in ditches on the side of the road (becuase I've never seen one in flight)

And 3. They are sortof like a moth or butterfly. They start life as ugly coots, and transform into Canvasbacks (becuase when I went canvasback hunting all I found was Coots which I believe molt into cans later in the year)

Coots give me nightmares.

Well, I got a recipe yesterday from an individual who will remain nameless I'll let you know if they give me indigestion that causes nightmareslol

Ian F.
11-15-2011, 12:09 PM
coots are veggies, similar to teal, incredibly small meat yield for their size though....

Foxton Gundogs
11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
coots are veggies, similar to teal, incredibly small meat yield for their size though....

Thats a fact, I've eaten my fair share but all in stews and soups while big game hunting. I am going to try these filleting the breast thin soaked in buttermilk and breaded and fried we will see.