PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail Archery Triple in the Fraser Valley

redthorn
11-13-2011, 09:50 AM
This story started out like almost evey other one on this forum. I had theurge to go hunting. So On Friday just past 2 pm, I grabbed my bow and headedout to my local hill...

It was a good day to be out hunting Blacktails, pissy rain, sleet, wind, andright in the middle of the Rut. Within 10 minutes of walking in, I had seen a 2point across a ravine among the trees, but had no shot. He was unaware of me,so I tried to get in closer. It was a nasty little ravine filled with Vinemaple, thimble berries, and cedars, and it had a stream at the bottom, and soby the time I had crossed stealthiliy, he was gone. I never did see him again,but the buck sign was everywhere. Rubs and crap all among the trees.

I hiked ravines and ridges the rest of the day, moving slowly along the deertrails a few steps at a time and then pausing and listening. But although thesign was there, the deer stayed ghostlike among the trees. I heard 2 that I couldn'tsee. Just at Dusk, I dropped off a ridge and was going down this gully, whenall of a sudden this head pops out of the bracken Ferns on the side of thetrail. And I can see the gleam of antlers up top, but have no time to dwell onthe size, I just draw up. I can't see the body, but I figure he's at 30yds, soI go for the neck. At the release, I hear a slapping sound, and he jumps offinto the bush.

I go to where he was standing, hoping for Blood. Nothing. A bit of finewhite fur that looks like it might be from a rabbit is lying on the ground. And my arrow was in the ground and had noblood on it. I thought about the fur fora while, and remembered how his ear had gone right back at the shot. Crap! Musthave been high and passed through the ear. It was definetly the fine fur frominside the ear. I had misjudged the distance based on body size, and it wasonly 15 yds. I spent until dark looking all around for blood just in case butcouldn't find any. So I wrote it off to an ear piercing and said I'd come backin the daylight to look for him again.

Saturday morning I headed back out. Iwent back to where I had shot at the deer. About 100m off in between the old cedars, I cut a blood trail. WooHoo. It’s pretty spotty, tracking, but I’m thinking I maybe hit him good. Eventually the trail ends in a small pool ofblood where he must have bedded, and then there is nothing past that. So I’m looking around thinking that whereverhe’s cut must have scabbed over during the night. Then I catch a flicker of movement throughthe brush ahead, and I see a deer. And thereare antler tips showing over its back as it feeds away from me. This must be him. I can’t see the head, but I sneak in as closeas the thick brush and wind will allow me. He’s quartering away harsh from me, but Ifigure I can thread one through the remaining brush into him.

I draw up again, and then let her fly. Whether it was my aim, a bit of brush, or he moved, I cant say, but Ihit him a little far back. The right rearham to be exact, and it went through into the body cavity. He took off running, and so I shot one morearrow Tim Wells’ style at him as he fled. But I am no Tim Wells, and I missed and lost the arrow in the brush.

I settled in to wait for him to stiffen up, as he was bleeding prettygood. But after about 15 min, it startedto rain heavy, so I got on the trail before all the fresh blood could washaway. What followed was an epic journeyover several ridges, down ravines, through a swamp, across clearings, and throughthe nastiest pieces of terrain he could find. I saw him several times, but never had a clear shot. I finally caught up to him as he was headeduphill through the maples, and since I could only see his head above the brush,I spined him at the base of the skull. BUCK DOWN!!!

Now that I finally had him on the ground I could examine him. He was a niceand wide 4x3, with short brow tines. Heshowed no sign of being hit the night before, so it must not have beenhim. Good thing we’ve got a 2 deer limithere in region 2, as I’ll be going back to find the bleeder.

I called up my brother, “RJBrowning” and told him to get out here and bringhis bow. I met him down by the vehicle,and we went back and gutted and dragged out the deer. Then we figured we’d head back in to find theother deer, and if it was still moving around, RJ would take him down.

We started moving away from the last area I had seen blood, but the rain hadwashed everything very well by now. Thenoff to my left, I see gray in between the maples. We get closer, and see he’sdead. The arrow had actually clipped thebottom of his jaw and cut the side of the neck. A Spike, that I would have beenecstatic with yesterday,that now looks pretty much like a dink. I am limited out!! But he’s meat, and hopefully hasn’t spoiledafter lying out a day, so I start gutting him. 2 BUCKS DOWN!!!

As I’m working, RJ suddenly hisses at me “Deer!” We see a big body at the bottom of the gully,but can’t see antlers. So I tell RJ tohead down the ravine to our right to check it out, while I stay on theridge. I start doe calling at the deer,and then he starts raking brush. Buck. I call a little louder, and he starts my way,then turns and heads into the ravine RJ is in. I can’t see a thing, then I hear the shot, thwack, and scuffling soundsin the maple leaves. RJ calls me down towhere he was and puts my fingers on his neck. That pulse felt like a washboardroad at 60k/hr. He whispers that he hit him, possibly in the neck, although hewas going for the pocket. The buck had justabout walked into him in the vine maples, RJ had drawn, and then waited for thedeer to move away from the screening brush. After that he’d let that widowmaker fly. We quickly found the blood trail as it was now getting dark, and thenfound the arrow. It had a rich, thick coatingof dark blood.

We had gone no more than 50yds, when we spooked him up from where he’dhidden in a streambed, and we watched him wobble up the hill towards a patch ofcedars. He stood there for a second,then wobbled for a minute and went down. So RJ ran up and finished him. 3 BUCKS DOWN!!!

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/2011blacktails-004_01.jpg

This guy was Huge, a massive 4x3 with only one brow. And he stank. We gutted him, and then dragged both deer back out to the truck.

Yes, for those of you who will keep pestering us for location, this was inthe lower mainland. NO, we won’t tell you where, but if you were lucky enoughto see a silver Tacoma in your area, you are getting close. Yes, the land is public, though we access through Private land

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/2011blacktails-008.jpg

RJ's Spread
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/2011blacktails-017.jpg

My Spread
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/2011blacktails-018.jpg

Happy Hunters
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv278/redthornboards/2011blacktails-027.jpg

11-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Right on guys !

Some decent BT's there!

Congrats

That said, I am no archery expert, but, in your story you speak of taking risky and not good choices of shots. Shooting for the vitals will lesson your chance of loosing or just injuring the animal. Still glad to see it worked out for you but you might not be so fortunate next time. Neck, spine shots are not a good choice.

CT

Knute
11-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Nice, some fine vittles thar :)

Congrats to you both.

fearnodeer
11-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Way to go guys sounds like one hunt you will remeber for a long time.

Ovis17
11-13-2011, 10:18 AM
Good on ya for finding the spike. Not recovering him would've sucked. Congrats on the other two as well.

nature girl
11-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Hey way to go. Oh the lowermainland can be great for blacktails. Walking the ravines in the pouring rain and sitting and glassing. It brings great memories back. I relized for hunting blacktails where I hunted you have to get out of your vehicle and actually walk in the trees. Or have an atv and get into other spots that no other people want to go to.

redthorn
11-13-2011, 11:17 AM
That said, I am no archery expert, but, in your story you speak of taking risky and not good choices of shots. Shooting for the vitals will lesson your chance of loosing or just injuring the animal. Still glad to see it worked out for you but you might not be so fortunate next time. Neck, spine shots are not a good choice.

CT

Yup, I agree that some shots were not optimum, but the first neck shot deer should not have dropped there. I don't know whay I messed that shot as badly as I did, but I shoot tight groups out to 50yds in practice, so i figure it was the low light, adrenaline, and speed of response. The arrow was dead centre, but about 1 inch higher than the throat patch and clipped the bottom of the jaw and deflected along to off the side of the neck. Like I said, I estimated the range a bit far, which meant that I came in a bit high. But I didn't find this out until the next day. I thought my bow must be off, so I did a few practice shots before heading out, but the were all on target. The next day when I first saw the buck by where the blood trail had ended, I figured it was him, and wanted to finish him. Where we are hunting (and blacktails like to hang out...), the brush is very thick, so you won't always get a perfect broadside, and have to take what you get.

That all being said, I have not taken a lot of shots on animals because I figured the risk was too high. But when you think you have already wounded the animal, you are obligated to try to finish him off at every slight opportunity.

MountainHigh
11-13-2011, 02:48 PM
"I can't see the body, but I figure he's at 30yds, so I go for the neck. At the release, I hear a slapping sound, and he jumps off into the bush"

That is a shot that should never be attempted with archery equip. It is a very low percentage shot...like...very low. Regardless of how good of a shot you are one should not attempt to neck shoot deer with arrows. Try for the vitals man.

Bchunter3006
11-13-2011, 03:18 PM
"I can't see the body, but I figure he's at 30yds, so I go for the neck. At the release, I hear a slapping sound, and he jumps off into the bush"

That is a shot that should never be attempted with archery equip. It is a very low percentage shot...like...very low. Regardless of how good of a shot you are one should not attempt to neck shoot deer with arrows. Try for the vitals man.

x2
If you don't have a clean shot... then you don't have a shot, its that simple. It can be very frustrating waiting for the right shot opportunity, but very rewarding when one presents itself.

jetboat jim
11-13-2011, 05:15 PM
nice deer and good on ya......but you may wanna consider leaving a few smaller deer for next year.

I know your going to say "but there's lot's of bucks there "....

redthorn
11-13-2011, 05:27 PM
nice deer and good on ya......but you may wanna consider leaving a few smaller deer for next year.

I know your going to say "but there's lot's of bucks there "....

We only had the intention of taking 2 out of there this year, but when that big boy showed up, that went out of the window. I've seen several spikes and one 2 point that will be very happy this fall now that the big boys are gone. But that immediate area we have decided to leave for the next 3 years. 2014 we're hoping to be back in...

abbyfireguy
11-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice deer Joel,what happened to Movember? I quess burgers are at your place now??

Eagle1
11-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Man it's "bowhunters" like this that make it bad for everyone, " wounded deer found wandering around with arrow stuck in neck"
I shot one a couple years back with an arrow stuck in it's neck, it wasn't that big but as soon as I saw the arrow stuck in it I shot it thru both lungs, broad side, it had been at least a couple days with the arrow stuck in it, nothing vital was hit, I still have the arrow.
I can shoot tight groups out to 90m but as was said low light couldn't see anything but neck,rushed shot,miss judged distance, I don't understand why people have to take those shots, in my books these are not "bowhunters", but unfortunatly some " rifle hunters" do the same thing. just my 2c

BillBraskii
11-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Man it's "bowhunters" like this that make it bad for everyone, " wounded deer found wandering around with arrow stuck in neck"
I shot one a couple years back with an arrow stuck in it's neck, it wasn't that big but as soon as I saw the arrow stuck in it I shot it thru both lungs, broad side, it had been at least a couple days with the arrow stuck in it, nothing vital was hit, I still have the arrow.
I can shoot tight groups out to 90m but as was said low light couldn't see anything but neck,rushed shot,miss judged distance, I don't understand why people have to take those shots, in my books these are not "bowhunters", but unfortunatly some " rifle hunters" do the same thing. just my 2c
From the pics that the OP posted I think it's safe to assume that nobody will find this deer walking around with an arrow in his neck.

Seriously guys,
give it a rest,the deer were all killed and recovered!!
End of story.

Jealousy is a stinky cologne:mrgreen:

ROEBUCK
11-13-2011, 06:23 PM
well done guys !
awesome you took 3 deer in 1 go ,close to home as well !
well done for finding the smaller buck and not giving up !

Eagle1
11-13-2011, 06:24 PM
some people will just never get it.
Been hunting way to many years to get jealous
THIS time they were recovered

Bchunter3006
11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
It ain't jealousy, its common sense. A neck shot with a rifle is ok under the right circumstances, but very rarely to never with archery equipment. I agree with Eagle1, THIS time everything worked out and the deer was recovered, and who knows, it may be done again. However, that us a low percentage shot that will cause a wounded deer more likely than not.

BillBraskii
11-13-2011, 08:13 PM
It ain't jealousy, its common sense. A neck shot with a rifle is ok under the right circumstances, but very rarely to never with archery equipment. I agree with Eagle1, THIS time everything worked out and the deer was recovered, and who knows, it may be done again. However, that us a low percentage shot that will cause a wounded deer more likely than not.

If its a bad shot its a bad shot.....period.
how is taking neck shots with a rifle any different than taking neck shots with a bow??
The weapon should not matter if its a 'low percentage' shot as you put it??

Stéphane
11-13-2011, 09:05 PM
I would like to congratulate you on two sides:
#1- getting 3 deer when I've been hunting the same spot for the last month and only seeing one buck, speaks volume about your abilities to find game, or mine as poor. :0
#2- being honest about your shots. Many guys might never have mentioned it. I hope my first kill will be a perfect broadside -double lungs. But what one wants and what really happens can be very different. I don't know if any of the guys who like to criticize your shots never had a bad shot. Only THEY know for sure. And what they want to share is all we got.

Jehiah
11-14-2011, 09:58 AM
I would like to congratulate you on two sides:
#1- getting 3 deer when I've been hunting the same spot for the last month and only seeing one buck, speaks volume about your abilities to find game, or mine as poor. :0
#2- being honest about your shots. Many guys might never have mentioned it. I hope my first kill will be a perfect broadside -double lungs. But what one wants and what really happens can be very different. I don't know if any of the guys who like to criticize your shots never had a bad shot. Only THEY know for sure. And what they want to share is all we got.

Well said Steph.
Id hunt with you guys any day. Your quarry offered you little but was well within range (15-20yds) = ethical shot.
That will be a weekend you will never forget! Two trophies and the confidence gained by tracking blood trails in the pissing rain.
kudos