PDA

View Full Version : Calling moose

Looking_4_Jerky
11-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Hi all,

Although I know moose will come to calls at various times of year, I'm wondering what kind of success folks have experienced calling later in the fall, like around now? Would you consider this a reliable way of calling in animals that you can't see (as opposed to getting jumped animals to stop and come back) at this time of season, or do you think blind calling is primarily effective only near rut time (say late Sept to mid Oct)?

Moose72
11-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Second rut should be happenin any time soon. Calling wont hurt.

CanuckShooter
11-13-2011, 07:39 AM
I've called moose out from my front deck right up to christmas....both cows and bulls seem interested in the weird calling...go figure?? Check out the pic in my for sale ad..

Pioneerman
11-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I have always sat and called when tired of searching lol , but it does work better when Rut is happening, but they seem curious, but slower to respond the rest of the time

ElliotMoose
11-13-2011, 10:37 AM
The younger bulls seem to be the more responsive ones late in the season. As mentioned above, the cows that did not breed during first (peak) rut should be coming into second estrus pretty quick here, and that will get the boys moving a little more. Just don't be too aggressive. I have never tried raking and grunting this time of year, only cow calls

moosecaller
11-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Cow and calf calls work well this time of year to get moose to come and see. Break a few branches small ones like eating size to add to your come on visit calls.