PDA

View Full Version : butchered weight .

new hunter
11-13-2011, 02:26 AM
What kind of weight would you expect to get from an average sized blacktail after butchering ?
I got a smallish 2point which I packed out using the gutless method (sort of , I gutted it first but i took the back straps , 4 legs , flank steaks and neck meat ). after watching a video on you tube I've come to the conclusion I left too much meat in the bush , which I'm not very happy about .
Any ways , after butchering and making sausage out of everything else I only got 15lbs of meat .
Does that sound right at all ?
How much meat should you expect to get from a small bt after butchering ?

Allen50
11-13-2011, 03:22 AM
if you did the hind into roast that is about what you might get from boneing out the rest, i did up a 50lbs spike for someone, 15lbs for the hind and 16 lbs for the loin and ribs and front shoulders, made the mince, the hind still had bone in , they were just cut on the saw, not boned out. there is not much for sausage , and all the other stuff one thinks they can get or what they think they should get if a butcher does it,, oh yea i am a butcher and do game for friends,, anyway hope this helps, if your deer is bigger you might get a few pounds more but not much,, good luck,,,

Allen50
11-13-2011, 03:25 AM
should have taken the whole deer out then you would have goten more meat, sorry i reread and had missed you left it in the woods, hummm island should be all taken out there not that big to have to bone them out and leave it behind,, good luck,, next time,,

Iltasyuko
11-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Would you mind posting the link to the youtube video you watched?

tomahawk
11-13-2011, 09:04 AM
you definetly left some good meat in the bush, like Allen said they are small, bring them all out

new hunter
11-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Yeah , definitely left some good meat out there , should have taken the ribs , stomach meat , turns out I left the tenderloin 2 (ouch !)
If it hadn't been a 2km solo hike to my truck I would have gone back for the rest.
I had read a thread about gutless field dressing in which it was stated that all the meat was in the legs and saddle and that it wasn't worth gutting to get at the rest .
I don't believe that anymore , it feels like a crime to have left anything usable behind.
Next time I'm calling a buddy and going back for the rest , even if something carries the rest off I figure its still worth trying .
Next time .

Singleshotneeded
11-13-2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah no, gut the critter and drag it out...get a quad or call a bud if necessary, but deer are small and there's no excuse to
leave good meat in the bush. The goof that posted that stuff online should've made it clear that it's not a bad plan for a
mountain goat if you've hiked up a mountain to get it, for instance, but no one should waste meat when you're within a few
km's of a logging road. That deer would probably have given you some 50 lbs. of meat if you'd dragged the whole thing out.

BearStump
11-13-2011, 01:41 PM
"pickin" meat can add up quick.
We used a friends shop and hoist to cut up our elk this year. We took the 4 quarters tenderloins and backstraps and the large meaty chunks from the neck. We let her have the rest. came back the next day with another elk and she had "picked 40 lbs of burger from that carcass.

new hunter
11-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Damn that stings .
Oh well , never do that again .
If anyones interested in predaters theres a good spot forcoyotes up in north creek right now

woodsman
11-13-2011, 02:23 PM
I also wondered about how much meat you can expect to get from the time you shoot your animal ( providing your shot does not destroy any of the meat), compared to how much is left after field dressing it, to taking your meat home in its final packages for your deepfreeze. Hope this give a bit more insight on this topic. Anyone with thoughts or comments on the accuracy of the info I am attaching, please jump in. I got the following off a web site on the internet which is a beef yield chart. The author says the formula used for determining the yield of beef is "similar" to what one would expect on average to get from game such as deer elk and moose. Not sure how accurate the authors info is but its a starting point...at least for me. His article is as follows:

//BEEF YIELD CHART

The information on this page is in answer to the many questions I get from people that process their own home grown beef through a meat cutter service. The general impression I get from the questions is that many feel cheated when they do not seem to get as much meat back from the meat cutter as they had expected.
The information provided below is a basic average. There are many different aspects that can and will affect the meat yield. Some of the aspects are; age of animal, animal breed, overall physical and health condition and more. The guideline below is based on an average sized healthy steer in its prime slaughter age. Although the chart explains the average yield of beef, similar yield results can be expected from pork, lamb, deer, elk, and moose. After reading this information it will enable to estimate what average meat yield you can expect to get back from your meat cutter.

Average beef Carcass yield*
With an average market (live or on the hoof) weight of 521 KG (1,150 lbs.) and the average yield 62.2%, the typical steer produces 324 KG (715 lbs) dressed carcass. A dressed carcass is “as it hangs” hide, head, feet and inner organs removed.
The dressed carcass will yield approximately 258 KG (569 lbs) of take home meat. This includes the average 12 KG (27 lbs) of variety meat: liver, heart, tongue, tripe, sweetbread, and brain. Plus approx. 66 KG (146 lbs) of fat, bones, tendons, and other loss.
This is approximately an overall meat yield of 80% from a dressed (hanging weight) lean Canadian A Grade steer. A high quality Canadian Prime or AAA steer will yield approximately 70% of the hanging weight due to higher fat content – more waste. The total average take home meat yield of an average lean steer is approximately 50% from the live weight.

shaydog65
11-13-2011, 03:03 PM
My 4x3 mulie hung at 132lbs on the butchers scale, I just weighed my yield out at 80lbs. Works out to 60%. I'm happy with that considering I rib shot him twice.

quadrakid
11-13-2011, 03:28 PM
There is nothing wrong with boning a deer out to get it home. If you took the backstraps,loins,four legs and the neck meat whats left? Rib meat,How much rib meat is on a small two point blacktail,not much.

cameron0518
11-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Good on you for understanding you made a mistake. Learn from it and move on.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-13-2011, 03:46 PM
live / learn and move on.
next time just halve or quarter and do the meat cutting at home.

Doe Eyes
11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
we got 117 lbs of meat (no bones) from our last 3.5 year old deer this year.