PDA

View Full Version : Few Deer, but still a nice morning

Caveman
11-11-2011, 05:33 PM
I was out at first light this morning walking in the snow in and around a new slash. Spotted a doe and twin fawns, so I sat for a bit, thinking if she hasn't seen me yet maybe there was a buck around too. After about twenty minutes, two young guys walk into the cut in a lower corner. They take some gear off and wave as they make their way along a tree line. Two other hunters, no big deal. Lots of sign, trails cut in the snow. I decide to walk the opposite direction of the two guys. About twenty minutes I run into another pair of guys. Five of us in the same cut? Still plenty of room as they move south from my position. I rarely see this many guys hiking, but it is good to see them out rather than driving. I had to be back to town early so I made my way back to my truck and a moose had crossed my tracks since I had walked in. On my way back down the road something catches my eye so I stop and pull up the binos. What do you know and nice sized cougar walking down the middle of the road. He spots me so he stops and crouches down right in the middle of the road. He sat there for about three minutes before he decides this isn't the place he should be. All in all a good morning

ianwuzhere
11-11-2011, 05:46 PM
no cougar tag??

Caveman
11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Opens on the 15th

Also heard a few wolves howling for a bit.

coach
11-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Great story, Caveman. Sounds like a nice outing. I really like your attitude toward other hunters being in the same area. It's very refreshing. Hopefully that cat is still around for you after the season opens.

Caveman
11-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Great story, Caveman. Sounds like a nice outing. I really like your attitude toward other hunters being in the same area. It's very refreshing. Hopefully that cat is still around for you after the season opens.

Thanks coach! Caught up to the first two young guys at my truck. Had a good little chat. They were up from Victoria. Early twenties at best, had all the gear and putting the miles on. Good on them!