More to come later
MD

kootenayelkslayer
11-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Well that's a bit of a tease!

stoneguide
11-10-2011, 11:04 PM
This be the one?

JIM HENS B.C. PREMIERS TAG killed a huge STONE SHEEP at BIG 9 OUTFITTERS, taken with a bow...grossing 181 3/8 green score, 41" by 36" , and has 15 3/4 " bases...this is a pending NEW WORLD RECORD POPE and YOUNG STONE SHEEP.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/318401_10150926673215013_782550012_21319441_196973 9842_n_1_.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/297242_10150926672840013_782550012_21319440_168746 0818_n_1_.jpg

11-10-2011, 11:07 PM
NICE !!!!

What else can ya say

Congrats to the hunter !

CT

stoneguide
11-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Jim also holds the world record for desert bighorn!!!
SG

stoneguide
11-10-2011, 11:19 PM
A before picture of the ram.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/315883_133058983467814_100002911398926_177077_1852 285829_n_1_.jpg

boxhitch
11-10-2011, 11:20 PM
WOW ! ..............Wow!................... Wow! ......................

bruin
11-10-2011, 11:21 PM
Pretty incredible ram. Would love to hear the story on this one, I'm sure it will come out. Missing another 3 inches as well. What was the kill date?

kootenayelkslayer
11-10-2011, 11:22 PM
Wow, what an incredible ram!!

jml11
11-10-2011, 11:29 PM
Gotta love what money can buy!

Desert Ram...same group of guys.
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/197500_209750905706195_121759117838708_914351_2840 563_n.jpg
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/190737_209750879039531_121759117838708_914349_5964 681_n.jpg

ThinAir
11-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Another Dustin Roe guided ram? That guy is unbelievable.

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 11:32 PM
what a sheep!

40g's to hunt for 2 weeks is nutty though!

However if i had the cash i would be all over it!

budismyhorse
11-10-2011, 11:43 PM
What a beast ...it's cool to think some Rams like that are out there ...

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Wow, that is a big ram! :)

jml11
11-10-2011, 11:50 PM
what a sheep!

40g's to hunt for 2 weeks is nutty though!

However if i had the cash i would be all over it!

This was mentioned as the premiers tag so I think the $$ was significantly higher than 40 grand...someone else can probably confirm what it went for at auction.

Edit: see a BC MoE reference of $119,000 on the FNAWS website, is that this tag?

stoneguide
11-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Probably $40,000 to the outfitter and then the cost of the tag on top of that. Just my guess.
SG

vortex hunter
11-10-2011, 11:53 PM
Those Pic's make me want to go Hunting WOW ............

lorneparker1
11-11-2011, 12:57 AM
This was mentioned as the premiers tag so I think the $$ was significantly higher than 40 grand...someone else can probably confirm what it went for at auction.

Edit: see a BC MoE reference of $119,000 on the FNAWS website, is that this tag?

Yah i was just talking the outfitter...

however $150k total is redick!

Jealous!

yama49
11-11-2011, 01:02 AM
wow nice ram, shitty that stans ram is passed, because i feel his was earned the right way,, JMO

Seeadler
11-11-2011, 01:32 AM
Beautiful sheep. Premier's Tag and guided hunt is a little like getting a high priced hooker and then bragging about the hot chick you nailed. Although if I had that kind of dough to splash around not sure I wouldn't do the same.

Gateholio
11-11-2011, 09:22 AM
Life isn't fair......Get used to it. :)

Alpine85
11-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Life isn't fair......Get used to it. :) No shit! Same group of guys will be in Montana soon, as guy holds a Montana bighorn tag.

yugo111
11-11-2011, 05:29 PM
nice Ram but I would have held out for a bigger one lol jk "Jim if you read this buy me one too Ill pack all the gear"

brian dobson
11-11-2011, 05:54 PM
great looking sheep! congrats

Deer_Slayer
11-11-2011, 06:18 PM
Beautiful..congrats

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Not bad for a ram that doesn't even break the bridge of his nose...........

SSS

porcupine
11-11-2011, 08:35 PM
What a cranker! When I hunted there Barry had just guided a hunter to the #1 P&Y Grizzly! That's a pretty good track record. I'm happy with the ram that I shot, but who wouldn't like a big one like that! Great mass for a Stone's sheep!

Elk-Aholic
11-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Depends how you twist "the jig" for CI lol. What an old hog of a ram regardless!

Not bad for a ram that doesn't even break the bridge of his nose...........

SSS

meathunter
11-11-2011, 11:25 PM
That is huge. Beautiful animal

mntbowhunter
11-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Wow what a ram. I dont know how that Dustin ROE keeps doing it. I agree that guys is absolutely unreal. If I was one of these rich I guys I would probably go on a sheep hunt with him just to learn from him, oh and kill a monster ram

echo77
11-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Thats one hell of a Ram !!

d6dan
11-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Wow!, thats a heavy Stone Ram!. Congrats to Jim on a super sheep..tough to beat that one..

tomahawk
11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Wow, I love great mass, really heavy!

BiG Boar
11-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Its too bad Stan's record might be beaten. Stan did it all by himself. He didn't have a team of guys doing it with him. That being said, he was just in the right place at the right time, trying to take any ram with his bow. Actually he was putting a stalk on another monster, and his number 1 just happened to get in the way on the stalk! Imagine that!!!

I have seen Stans ram and it looks a lot more impressive, as it is broomed off way over the nose.

Anyways, its cool to know they are still out there.

My question would be, was there an advantage to having the premier's tag? Could he not have done it by just hiring that guide? Or was it a ram on wintering grounds that just came to a spot that was now possible to get to, and wouldnt be gettable during the regular season?

1/2 slam
11-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Life isn't fair......Get used to it. :)

Isn't that the truth. If I had the money I'd buy the permit.

Alpine85
11-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Its too bad Stan's record might be beaten. Stan did it all by himself. He didn't have a team of guys doing it with him. That being said, he was just in the right place at the right time, trying to take any ram with his bow. Actually he was putting a stalk on another monster, and his number 1 just happened to get in the way on the stalk! Imagine that!!!

I have seen Stans ram and it looks a lot more impressive, as it is broomed off way over the nose.

My question would be, was there an advantage to having the premier's tag? Could he not have done it by just hiring that guide? Or was it a ram on wintering grounds that just came to a spot that was now possible to get to, and wouldnt be gettable during the regular season?

Well it was killed in November after spending lots of time in the air. One would think hunting in Nov with the snows/rut, would be easyier finding a big ram, then say Aug1-Oct15??

yama49
11-12-2011, 09:01 PM

I agree stans ram is impressive as hell. I think the tag helps, with the exteneded seasons... could be wrong

StoneChaser
11-12-2011, 09:15 PM
A lot of pissing and moaning considering EVERY one of you had a chance at that ram BEFORE this hunter showed up (he should have been the one whining, as he paid fat coin to have our scraps).

Any one of us could have got off our A$$es and hunted this ram for the price of a sheep tag and a little effort, as he was alive and well during the 2011 sheep season (and quite a few before this year)....guess we missed one!

Amazing ram, and with archery gear to boot....money may buy the opportunity, but it still takes serious skill (and luck) to arrow a ram like that (don't think he had it warm and toasty up there in mid-late October)!

Jealous here, but not knocking a well heeled fella for doing what he loves.....

ianwuzhere
11-12-2011, 10:06 PM
beauty ram with a bow..

1/2 slam
11-12-2011, 10:53 PM
A lot of pissing and moaning considering EVERY one of you had a chance at that ram BEFORE this hunter showed up (he should have been the one whining, as he paid fat coin to have our scraps).

Any one of us could have got off our A$$es and hunted this ram for the price of a sheep tag and a little effort, as he was alive and well during the 2011 sheep season (and quite a few before this year)....guess we missed one!

Amazing ram, and with archery gear to boot....money may buy the opportunity, but it still takes serious skill (and luck) to arrow a ram like that (don't think he had it warm and toasty up there in mid-late October)!

Very well put

Looking_4_Jerky
11-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Beautiful sheep. Premier's Tag and guided hunt is a little like getting a high priced hooker and then bragging about the hot chick you nailed. Although if I had that kind of dough to splash around not sure I wouldn't do the same.

Seeadler, you got that right! Am I jealous that I don't have cash freepouring out of my ass like some? Yup. Jealousy aside though, when a dude scores a bunch of huge animals because he can afford the best help all the time, does it make me worship the guy for his ability? Not really. Although it takes some good ability for anyone to whack a mature stone with a bow, I have way more respect for the average guy that goes out and executes a successful non-guided hunt on an average stone.

Although if I had that kind of dough to splash around not sure I wouldn't do the same.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do the same, but I'd probably have me and the boys out on some kick-ass non-guided hunting/fishing trips with my fancy-ass gear, and I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of bragging going on after some of them...

Regardless, congrats on a brute.

Sawbuck
11-13-2011, 11:44 AM
Great ram no doubt but my hat goes off to Stan that got his ram the old fashion way. No super cub support, no spotters, during the regular season outside of the rut ...you get the idea. To compare the effort of the two rams is folly at best.
Jim got a great ram and with luck the money he donated will put more sheep on the mountain so thanks as that benefits all of us.

Darksith
11-13-2011, 09:15 PM

Yeah, but how many of the local BC boys use a aircraft to scout? Its kinda like cheating, not saying I wouldn't do the same if I had the chance though. I don't think anyone was outta line here, we are all jealous and would all love the same opportunities if we could afford them Im sure. If there wasn't any scouting by air then he really did earn it, and was just as lucky too boot, if not then he just bought then earned it, no luck involved.

40incher
11-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I think I have to agree with some of the last posts. To kill a Stone Ram on your own account is a tremendous accomplishment. To kill one with a swat team and a predetermined G.O., with a stalk that starts in July and ends up with someone showing up to make the kill legitimate during the rut is a bit of a joke.

One might wonder how long they sat on that ram knowing a bonus/advertising was at hand.

A sad reflection on where commercial hunting is today.

Just a thought.

yama49
11-13-2011, 09:51 PM

SG

I respect all your posts, but i clearly disagree with this statment. Lets be real here for a minute, you being a guide should really understand this. I only agree with the hunters skill to put the arrow where it belongs, the rest was the outfitter and his guides.. Do you think if the hunter was droppped off bye himself, in the middle of nowhere, his sucess would have been the same? .. And lots of people did get offf there asses and try for a ram of this cailber, but didnt have airplanes, guides, extended season to help there odds out..Or do you not agree thoses helps ones chances? Any ways its a great ram. the money went to a good cause with the tag portion. I am not in any way saying the hunter didnt deserve the ram, just saying i think the last record is more of a feat..

stoneguide
11-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Wasnt SG it is SC that you are quoting. Just for the record I dont agree that rams taken on these late rut hunts should be compared to regular season rams. Its a totally different ball game when you get the rut happening and deeper snows push sheep into bigger groups on their winter ranges. Add to that a gang of great sheep hunters and a good outfitter and you can do nothing but succeed. Its a great ram but to me its not a huge accomplishment.
SG

Bchunter3006
11-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Personally, if I had that tag, it would have been used on a bighorn... just saying.

Alpine85
11-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Personally, if I had that tag, it would have been used on a bighorn... just saying.

Even if you had a Montana bighorn hunt comming up,like the hunter.

Bchunter3006
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Honestly, I'll never have more than one sheep tag at a time!

Mr. Dean
11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I'm honestly GLAD that this hunt is available to ANYONE that wants it.
The net result is that we 'normal fellas', get benefits from it. And that's what it's all about.

IMO, I'd like to see it expand into other species; We have a lot of World Class Hunting in BC that could offer up some good coin for Conservation.
If people are willing to spent it, I say lets USE THEM to our benefit. :wink: :wink:

yama49
11-15-2011, 12:25 AM
Wasnt SG it is SC that you are quoting. Just for the record I dont agree that rams taken on these late rut hunts should be compared to regular season rams. Its a totally different ball game when you get the rut happening and deeper snows push sheep into bigger groups on their winter ranges. Add to that a gang of great sheep hunters and a good outfitter and you can do nothing but succeed. Its a great ram but to me its not a huge accomplishment.
SG

My apology, to many stone chasers, guides etc lol

stoneguide
11-15-2011, 12:55 AM
No worries, I knew what ya ment.
SG

moose2
11-15-2011, 05:09 AM
Great looking ram congratulations to the hunter.

It has always surprised me that record clubs allow entries for animals taken with these kind of tags. My idea of fair chase is hunting an animal that is being hunted by others at the same time. I am sure if you gave the region 3 guys one late Dec or early Jan mule deer tag there would be some records being broken as well. I am not sure if it is fair to the other record holders who took animals in the GOS.
All this being said its a great ram that anyone of us would go for if given the chance.
Mike

hellojello74
11-15-2011, 10:16 AM
I must say though how are you guys assuming that they are stalking this one all season seems a little far fetched with out some definite evidence, just think how hard is it to follow the same deer for the entire season let alone a sheep in sheep country, with other clients and residents hunting the area. Your not going to see a sheep like that and tell the guy your guiding nope sorry dude, Give your head a shake,

If I remember correctly this is the second big ram to come out of there this year and it is the smaller of the two.
Give the guys/outfitters some credit they are not all terrible.
Congratulations to Cody for guiding a great hunt,
and one hell of a Ram

Mr. Dean
11-15-2011, 10:23 AM
Great looking ram congratulations to the hunter.

It has always surprised me that record clubs allow entries for animals taken with these kind of tags. My idea of fair chase is hunting an animal that is being hunted by others at the same time. I am sure if you gave the region 3 guys one late Dec or early Jan mule deer tag there would be some records being broken as well. I am not sure if it is fair to the other record holders who took animals in the GOS.
All this being said its a great ram that anyone of us would go for if given the chance.
Mike

IMO, the records are a testament TO the animal and the area it came from.
The one who hunted it is really not all that important.

How many here remember the name of the hunter who killed this ram?
I'm willing to bet, only a select few.

Point made. :lol:

11-15-2011, 10:54 AM
Nice ram for sure. I'm just stoked to know that great rams like that are still out there.

Mr. Dean
11-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice ram for sure. I'm just stoked to know that great rams like that are still out there.

And that right there is why record keeping is sooooooo important.
It gives us a chance to study 'why' it works in one area and not so much in another.

It's about Science.
Not pats on the back.

Gateholio
11-15-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm sure the hunter doesn't give a rats ass whether we think that it's fair, or if he deserved it, or if we think it should be in the record book or if we think he worked hard enough for it. :)

BCRiverBoater
11-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Every time a big ram is killed under this permit there are people cutting the hunter down. Every avid sheep hunter in BC dreams of these rams and these stories. Just suck it up and give the hunter a congrats and appreciate the animal. A ton of money goes into conservation with these permits. Any hunter would do the exact same thing that these people do. If you spend over 100 grand on a tag, wouldn't you bring along lots of guys and pay for good guides? Or would you pay 100 grand and backpack in all by yourself to an area you don't know just to be skunked? Anybody that could afford it would pay for this even in the general season to better chances. It is no different then any hunting gear/tools. You buy the best you can afford to give you the best chance and best experience. Either way it is a trophy to him just like a 34" 140 ram would be to the next guy that did it on his own.

Rubicon500
11-15-2011, 05:40 PM
Well if he doesnt derseve to have the ram in the book, maybe we should take every animal out of the book that wasnt hunted on foot . No road hunting bucks , no bucks you unload the quad and shoot it 2 mins down the road , no bucks shot in the rut cuz thats just to easy and isnt fair , oh we can get into the pvt land animals as well. Pull your heads out of your arses and quit being jealous lil school girls. No wonder no one posts anything on here , just a bunch of jonny do rights , outfitters are the enemy , auctioned tags are a huge no no its getting ridicolous.

Rubicon500
11-15-2011, 05:44 PM
And the part about hiring a plane for scouting , there is NOTHING stopping any other sheep hunter from doing it . Buck up some cash and do the same , lifes about prioirties, dont have kids and bang theres a airplane scouting trip every year , dont buy a brand new diesel for 76,000 or the 30 foot tag trailer etc , people spend there money what they feel is important

boxhitch
11-15-2011, 06:15 PM
It's about Science.
Not pats on the back.Only if that were true.
Some of us pay attention for the science, though it only shows what is now missing from the landscape, not what is available.

But if your comment were true, there would be no trophy awards , no special buckle hand-outs, no grand slam this or that.
Putting a name and face to achievements is what gives them value in this world, and value is what keeps hunting alive.

houndogger
11-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Well if he doesnt derseve to have the ram in the book, maybe we should take every animal out of the book that wasnt hunted on foot . No road hunting bucks , no bucks you unload the quad and shoot it 2 mins down the road , no bucks shot in the rut cuz thats just to easy and isnt fair , oh we can get into the pvt land animals as well. Pull your heads out of your arses and quit being jealous lil school girls. No wonder no one posts anything on here , just a bunch of jonny do rights , outfitters are the enemy , auctioned tags are a huge no no its getting ridicolous.

Post of the year right there! The jealousy on here is ridiculous.

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Only if that were true.

I would gladly enter any animal that I take, that is eligible.
And I would gladly accept any 'token' in doing so.

But in the end, it is the animal that is recognized and fondly thought of.
No one will give a rats ass about the one who took him.

All the person that reads the book knows, it wasn't him.
And it gives him, something to live/dream for.

It's not a bad thing.
And it litteraly doesn't matter who you are or what you can attain, someone is always watching with envy.

And no; In thinking this way does in no means say that I'm a GOABC Fan.
Frankly, I'd like to know how the $$$ is broken down.

Reggy
11-16-2011, 09:30 AM
IMO, the records are a testament TO the animal and the area it came from.
The one who hunted it is really not all that important.

How many here remember the name of the hunter who killed this ram?
I'm willing to bet, only a select few.

Point made. :lol:

This isn't always the case. Big record animals are often named after the hunter. The Chadwick Ram, The Simpson Ram, The Hanson Buck are some examples. Great ram regardless and good to see the tag being used somewhere different this year.

bigwhiteys
11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't think there is anyone that could honestly call themselves a "Sheep Hunter" that wouldn't give their left nut or even both nuts to have the premiers tag... It's a legal animal taken on a fair chase hunt. Yeah it's a special season but so is every other sheep LEH.

Carl

The Hermit
11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
The money spent on the tag isn't any issue for me and if I could afford it I'd do lots of big ticket hunting too. However, If its true that the guide identified the ram from the air, and because of that knew exactly where the ram would be, then well sure, okay Jim still had to brave the harsh cold Canadian weather (burrrr), get close and make the shot but... still seems kinda like walking a couple hundred yards in the snow and shooting a town deer to me. Jim's deal is a lot different than a regular season joe buying a tag and going hunting. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Like I said I'd safari too, wouldn't you?

The Premier's Tag, and the fact that Jim also holds another world record is huge press for BC in the hunting community and is terrific for the guiding industry.

hellojello74
11-16-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't think there is anyone that could honestly call themselves a "Sheep Hunter" that wouldn't give their left nut or even both nuts to have the premiers tag... It's a legal animal taken on a fair chase hunt. Yeah it's a special season but so is every other sheep LEH.

Carl

damn straight... in a heart beat

Stone Sheep Steve
11-16-2011, 10:20 AM
That ram would have had one....maybe two more winters to live. It's dead and it generated some important cash for sheep and sheep habitat....in a time where there are fewer and fewer dollars for wildlife every yr. To steal a line from
Martha Stewart...."and That's a Good thing".

SSS

bighornbob
11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
To steal a line from Martha Stewart...."and That's a Good thing".

SSS

I cant beleive you just quoted Martha Stewart!!!!

You have just been docked some friendship points:):):)

BHB

Mr. Dean
11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
This isn't always the case. Big record animals are often named after the hunter. The Chadwick Ram, The Simpson Ram, The Hanson Buck are some examples. Great ram regardless and good to see the tag being used somewhere different this year.

Understood. But;

- Who's picture do you wanna see?
- Who is it that you wanna know where he came from?
- Who's cousin is it that you wanna see more pictures of?

Unless someone has a 'connection' with the hunter, naming the ram after him is still only a token and really means zippy. He'll get phone calls loaded with high 5's that'll lead into getting his brain picked for details. PITA if you ask me.

As for money that bought it; You Betchya. Noooo doubt-a- boot it.
But if it weren't for money, no of us would would have a mounted 'anything'.

If I couldn't have afforded to knock off a couple more days of work, with added travel and lodging expenses, I wouldn't have my buck on the wall.
The only different factor here, is scale.

Many resident hunters will utilize ocean going boats to collect their trophy grizz or elk. And many will sit back and grit their teeth because they can't afford it.... We've all been there, done that. But in all cases, everyone wants to see the animal and only wants details out of the one that nailed it - It's all about the animal, in the end.

BCrams
11-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I cant beleive you just quoted Martha Stewart!!!!

You have just been docked some friendship points:):):)

BHB

Heck, I didn't even know he watched Martha Stewart!!

Great ram for someone who put a lot of dollars into sheep enhancement / habitat work, even if he had help in achieving his goal of arrowing a big one. There's not a hunter that posted on here that if he / she didn't have the premiers tag, that they would not also hunt during a time that maximizes their opportunity of harvesting a great ram, which is long after the regular sheep season closes and is during the rut or when they're gathering in the wintering areas.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-08-2014, 08:07 AM
wow nice ram, shitty that stans ram is passed, because i feel his was earned the right way,, JMO

100% agree Stan's ram should still be number 1 in the record book.

07-08-2014, 06:04 PM
According to P&Y website Stan's sheep is still #1

Anyone know why?