PDA

View Full Version : Lynx, Bobcat Tag Question

Ambush
11-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Sitting in my treestand early this week and a cat came walking under me. I stopped it with a fawn bleat and had a pretty good look at it. It looked like a bobcat to me , and later looking at the tracks in the snow they were smaller then lynx tracks. Possibly an immatuer lynx?

But the question is: can I shoot a bobcat with a lynx tag? They don't sell bobcat tags and they are not listed as open in region 7.
Lynx opens here on the 15th. And I may still be sitting in my treestand if one of my chosen bucks hasn't wandered by yet.
Can I shoot the bobcat and cut my lynx tag.

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 08:17 PM
Yeah, for sure.

You can also shoot a moose and cut your deer tag, no problems.

Ambush
11-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Well, if they don't sell bobcat tags, what do people do when they shoot a bobcat???

PS: I can cut a mule deer tag when I shoot a Sitka, and they are likely no more closely related than a lynx and bobcat.

BlacktailStalker
11-10-2011, 09:11 PM
Really ?
Yeah they do, they're $8. If they arent open then you're SOL, obviously.

BiG Boar
11-10-2011, 09:17 PM
they sell em, and theyre closed. good judgement.

dana
11-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Ever think about looking at the regs? You know those things that tell ya seasons and such? P. 10 tells ya the licence fees. Low and behold Bobcat is in the list. $8 same price as lynx, but not the same tag. So, do you still think they don't sell Bobcat tags? Then flip to Region 7 in the Regs. It don't matter if you are looking at 7A or 7B, because there is NO bobcat season in either. Hmmm, wonder why? Maybe because bobcat's most northern range doesn't go into Region 7. So do you think you have your species id right? Maybe you should do some research online and get comfortable on ID before you actually pull the pin on a cat after the 15th.

BTW, You know this reading the regs thing works way better than asking dumb questions on the internet.

The Dawg
11-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Are you fishing again Ambush? :D

Ambush
11-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Ever think about looking at the regs? You know those things that tell ya seasons and such? P. 10 tells ya the licence fees. Low and behold Bobcat is in the list. $8 same price as lynx, but not the same tag. So, do you still think they don't sell Bobcat tags? Then flip to Region 7 in the Regs. It don't matter if you are looking at 7A or 7B, because there is NO bobcat season in either. Hmmm, wonder why? Maybe because bobcat's most northern range doesn't go into Region 7. So do you think you have your species id right? Maybe you should do some research online and get comfortable on ID before you actually pull the pin on a cat after the 15th.

BTW, You know this reading the regs thing works way better than asking dumb questions on the internet.

Thanks for all the polite and helpfull info fella's. I looked next to lynx, in the licence list, and didn't see bobcat. My mistake. I'm working on being perfect, but it's a tough slug for an ordinary guy like me.

But I don't need to learn to ID them because dana says bobcats don't exist this far north. So I'll just kill it with a lynx tag and use this thread as proof. Who would dispute dana??

barry1974w
11-10-2011, 09:59 PM
I've never seen a bobcat around PG, I've always been under the impression that there there wasn't any this far north. But.... A couple different guys that I know have said they've seen bobcats in the last few years. I trust both of these men on their species ID (one of them trapped for many years and put a lot of lynx of the boards), so who knows, maybe they're expanding their range north with the mild winters.....

dana
11-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Ambush,
Ask a stupid question without reading the regs, you're bound to get the answer you did. As for my advice, didn't I tell ya to go online and get comfortable with species ID? I didn't say they don't exist in Region 7, I said their most northern range doesn't go into Region 7. Animals can be found where they aren't suposed to be. Learn your ID and then you can have confidence on pulling the pin on a lynx versus a OOPS on a bobcat. Like I said, read the regs, there is NO bobcat season in Region 7. Again, you wouldn't look like an fool online if you just had of pulled out those regs first before you started typing.

todbartell
11-10-2011, 10:21 PM
OSFS has bobcat tags, I think only 1 sold since 2003. Government agents should have them in stock as well

Mr. Dean
11-10-2011, 10:48 PM
They can often look alike if all you're looking at is coats.

~T-BONE~
11-10-2011, 10:54 PM
Maybe a hybrid?? "lynxcat"

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-10-2011, 10:57 PM
HA HA HA HA... Puff Puff Give .

ROEBUCK
11-10-2011, 11:00 PM
Maybe a hybrid?? "lynxcat"
the term lynxcat is also the fur tradeing name for bobcat pelts !
I know a few of the trappers in pg including the trapping supply store in town, and none of them as im aware ,have caught a bobcat locally.Im sure if they were in the area the odd animal would end up in a lynx set or snare.
My guess would be you saw a juvenile lynx.

~T-BONE~
11-10-2011, 11:09 PM
Also known as a Blynx..

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Sure it was a silly question, but it was also pretty funny. And it's generating mostly funny responses, which is good.

It's not against HBC rules to ask questions about the regs, so hopefully nobody will be dissuaded from asking. If it's silly, well we can all have some fun, nothing wrong with that. :)

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask....;)