PDA

View Full Version : Region 8 Whitetails..

bucket
11-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Well we blew straight thru october seeing nothing but Muley Does.. no horns at all, hunting out back of summerland / peachland..

Obviously after today its down to whitetail bucks in reg 8, anyone have any hints on where one might find such chaps ?? hate to get skunked 2 years in a row!

limit time
11-10-2011, 08:11 PM
I've hunted that area LOTS and the whitetail are few and far. The area I see them most is Dark lake. If you want more action head over to the East side of Penticton (Naramata)

Wrayzer
11-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Having a hard time all year seeing anyhting but whitetails does, bucks will soon be following. Stay on the eastside of the lake.

Gunner Staal
11-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Darke Lake is pretty much it for Summerland Whities. East side. Naramata, Beave Lake Road, Postill, Ellison all hold whities....and hunters. If you dont want to be skunked, buy a bow. Best bow hunting around is in the area you just hunted all of October. You have to find the winter ranges. Look for steep terrain heading to valley bottoms (private land). Catchem on the way up in the morning and down in the evening. Use google to find the winter ranges. They are very distinct in that area. Stay under 3000 elv.

3mk
11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
one word bridesville

peashooter
11-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Go to reg 3. Mulies still open up there.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-10-2011, 10:00 PM
draw a 10km circle around Princeton, inside that circle be there wt`s.

fyi ;)

aggiehunter
11-10-2011, 10:23 PM
Yah lets go to Princeton and kill the few and I mean few Wt's that are there before they turn into vermin....

blackford
11-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Don't waste your time in osoyoos I am here right now. Have see. Abdolutley f all

matt420
11-13-2011, 12:08 PM
for region 8 in the late season for whitetails, me and my hunting partners have had success every year up by beverdell, or lower myra canyon, and gullard best of luck to ya!

aggiehunter
11-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Yah go to Princeton theres tons of them there....

Fisher-Dude
11-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Yah lets go to Princeton and kill the few and I mean few Wt's that are there before they turn into vermin....

Just make sure you don't shoot Ernie/aggie's deer. He's a really shitty bowhunter, so he doesn't want anyone to come to Princeton for a hunt and give him any competition. He doesn't know the first thing about WT biology, so he relies on rhetoric instead. He figures if the WT over-populate, he can find one in the ditch beside the highway and claim it as a bow kill.

snowriver
11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
I have spent the last two weeks hunting above Naramata. Pounded the bush and have seen the two whitetail does that live there. They must be overun somewhere becauase the ministry has an open season on does. Used to be good hunting above Naramata. If anyone knows when and where they moved let us know. Muley does all over the orchards and downton Penticton. Whitetails may have moved south or over the mountain to Beaverdell. Cost of living in Naramata may have just gotten too high.

coach
11-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Just make sure you don't shoot Ernie/aggie's deer. He's a really shitty bowhunter, so he doesn't want anyone to come to Princeton for a hunt and give him any competition. He doesn't know the first thing about WT biology, so he relies on rhetoric instead. He figures if the WT over-populate, he can find one in the ditch beside the highway and claim it as a bow kill.

Come on, FD, go easy on poor aggie. He does the best job of anyone on the site with regard to pushing for social game management, more restrictive seasons and all around convincing people there's no more game anywhere. Without his negativity, we'd have nothing to debate but hockey.

coach
11-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Shootthesheep and I were out looking for an immy yesterday. An epic road hunt out through Mcullogh, onto the 201, around big white, past Nevertouch lake back through trapping creek area and home. No moose sign, but tons of deer sign at 4000 feet. Saw two bucks and one doe. Big guy was a 5x5 - no shots fired. Also saw where two deer had very recently been dragged to the road. Once moose close, I'll be heading back toward Beaverdell to try and fill my last tag.

genockous
11-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I know guys that go behind the cop shop and do well for deer and Elk

SimilkameenSlayer
11-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I know guys that go behind the cop shop and do well for deer and Elk

i'm sure you do. ;)

jeff
11-13-2011, 08:25 PM
i hunted alot of reg 8 this year and never saw one whitetail

boxhitch
11-13-2011, 09:08 PM
You the man , Jeff. Admitting that in public takes balls

slowkey
11-14-2011, 05:51 PM
got my whitetail buck just outside of Brookmere!! so nope all the whitetail bucks in region 8 are gone

OutWest
11-14-2011, 08:10 PM
Can't find Whitetails in Region 8? Now that's a good one :lol:

Gunner
11-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Let's see,I saw 5 whitetail bucks Sunday,and 2 more this morning,not counting the one at my deer feeder.If you know where to look it would be hard not to see a whitetail buck in some parts of Region 8.Finding the right one can be another story.I also saw two mule deer bucks on Sunday,one was a very nice 4 point. Gunner

recoil
11-14-2011, 10:16 PM
Saw a few whitetail up on the connector recently near pennask, no reason they wouldnt be a few miles east where it turns to region 8 near west Kelowna, they seem to be fairly high still.

elkeater
11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
ive pounded the bush around grand forks and greenwood and have see quite a few does but no bucks yet. lots of the guys around havent seen much either but im sure there just good at hiding.

aggiehunter
11-14-2011, 10:24 PM
FD....your not allowed to say shitty on here are you....notice I never say your name even though I know you and you don't really know who I am....lots of guys on HBC figures that's a bit of a hoot...Aggie's like a pen name you know...it ain't real FD...it's an illusion made up exclusively for you......anywho..getting back to the topic....they carpet bombed in Nam too...not really picking a target....just like the GOS on Wt does....killing the few in some areas in Region 8 that just started to like it there....a season sold with propaganda by the BCWf promising to recruit a new generation of hunters....you guys will get it in about 5 years. I will admit to FD that I know nothing about the biology of Whitetails...I just live with them.

GoatGuy
11-14-2011, 10:36 PM
slower weekend for us more due to changing wind than anything else. Sunday 3 of the 4 groups sitting saw bucks. The 4th didn't see a buck but the trail cam revealed a buck came in 45 minutes after he headed for lunch.

hahaha.

Lots scrapes, rubs and bucks running around during the day time. Just gonna get better every day for the next week.

dave_fras
11-15-2011, 06:55 AM
those bucks have moved from my cams... i donno where they went but for the past 5 days ive had almost 0 action!!!....even the does took off!... im just left with i pile of corn and a salt block hhaha.

Wrayzer
11-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Only seeing the dinkers running with the girls, The big guys usually come down around the 20th, so with a couple decent storms this week, it is about to get real good.

dave_fras
11-15-2011, 07:23 AM
ya i was hoping the same thing!... but ive had some nice bucks on my cam all season!... just havent had time to hunt them!!... and now that i do... they take off!! piss me off!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-15-2011, 08:35 AM
those bucks have moved from my cams... i donno where they went but for the past 5 days ive had almost 0 action!!!....even the does took off!... im just left with i pile of corn and a salt block hhaha.

Betcha a cat moved in nearby.

SSS

PointMan
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Had the luckiest buck in region 8 in my sights on Saturday, he tucked to run just as I drew the trigger, bullet grazed the top of his spine, didn't take any skin, no blood drawn, but took a lot of hair off the top of his back. I'm guessing he's STILL running. I tracked him for half a kilometer through the bush to make sure it didn't hit, no blood too be seen. Luckily it was a spiker, not a B&C cranker. Probably sour anyway. :S

mark
11-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Had the luckiest buck in region 8 in my sights on Saturday, he tucked to run just as I drew the trigger, bullet grazed the top of his spine, didn't take any skin, no blood drawn, but took a lot of hair off the top of his back. I'm guessing he's STILL running. I tracked him for half a kilometer through the bush to make sure it didn't hit, no blood too be seen. Luckily it was a spiker, not a B&C cranker. Probably sour anyway. :S

I saw a luckier whitey today, big tall 4x4 150 yards from a major FSR. The kind of road where you see a truck every 5 minutes. This buck stood broadside in a clearing for 10 minutes, I took pics, got out, slammed the door a few times, whistled at him....he never moved till his doe moved off.
He would of been my second largest whitey ever, he's lucky I wasnt in the mood to shoot him!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/../photos/data/500/2011_muley_016_Medium_.jpg

hunter1993ap
11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
is that the big tall buck your talking about. looks like a bit of a "squeeker" to me. mabey its just the picture. if not i see why you held for a bigger one. its nice seeing those sneaky rats anyways. i love the surprise in hunting whitetails. they always come out when you least expect them.

Fisher-Dude
11-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Saw a pile of WT tracks today while looking for a last minute immy. Everywhere I went was pounded by whities.

This big footed guy was wandering solo right through the middle of them. And here I was told "There are no wolves in the Okanagan." :neutral:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM1395.jpg

lovemywinchester
11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I was hunting WT near Princeton today and had a WT doe and fawn walk right up to me. It was great to know I was in the right area. No buck but will go back this weekend to keep looking.

mark
11-15-2011, 10:27 PM
is that the big tall buck your talking about. looks like a bit of a "squeeker" to me. mabey its just the picture. if not i see why you held for a bigger one. its nice seeing those sneaky rats anyways. i love the surprise in hunting whitetails. they always come out when you least expect them.

He looked bigger in real life......and Im not much of a whitey hunter either!

dave_fras
11-16-2011, 06:35 AM
hes decent... ive passed on a few that sized this year... plus a couple bigger ones... but ill wait till the end and if i dont connect... its gonna be doe time with my bow!

Wrayzer
11-16-2011, 02:10 PM
Watched two two point whities this morning tripping over each other with their noses to the ground. Tried tinkling the antlers to see what would happen and they took off without hesitation.

hunter1993ap
11-16-2011, 03:40 PM
He looked bigger in real life......and Im not much of a whitey hunter either!

pictures sometimes do that. if i see one like that this weekend i dont think ill be letting it walk.

Shooter123
11-16-2011, 05:47 PM
I would of dropped that guy, yum yum yum

Fisher-Dude
11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
That buck in Mark's pic is probably a 135 class WT, which is damned good for most of region 8. Most hunters won't get a chance at one bigger in their lifetime here.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-16-2011, 07:01 PM
That buck in Mark's pic is probably a 135 class WT, which is damned good for most of region 8. Most hunters won't get a chance at one bigger in their lifetime here.

I would have dropped him but there is no way you can tell me thats a 135 buck from that picture.

Fisher-Dude
11-16-2011, 07:38 PM
I would have dropped him but there is no way you can tell me thats a 135 buck from that picture.

This one I got back in 2006 went 131 2/8ths. Similar buck in Mark's pic, but maybe longer G2s.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/00320013.jpg

Young Gun
11-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Have only seen ONE whitetail doe this year in region 8. but then again were to busy hunting mulies to go after them rats.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-16-2011, 07:43 PM
This one I got back in 2006 went 131 2/8ths. Similar buck in Mark's pic, but maybe longer G2s.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/00320013.jpg

The buck could very well be 135.I just cant tell how big the deer is because the picure is not that clear.

Fisher-Dude
11-16-2011, 07:45 PM
The buck could very well be 135.I just cant tell how big the deer is because the picure is not that clear.

Spend some of your millions and get a better monitor! :D

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Fisher ,I dont know why,but you are always good for a few laughs.lol

hunter1993ap
11-16-2011, 08:48 PM
there are some big deer here fd. lots bigger than 135!!!

Fisher-Dude
11-16-2011, 11:12 PM
there are some big deer here fd. lots bigger than 135!!!

Oh I know that, just that most guys never find 'em! I found one once...

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/HPIM1291.jpg

hunter1993ap
11-17-2011, 09:41 AM
nice deer what did that one score!!

11-17-2011, 01:01 PM
nice deer what did that one score!!

I'll start off the guessing with 158.

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
I'll start off the guessing with 158.

Pretty good guess for an old phart Andy! 162 even.

coach
11-17-2011, 01:15 PM
Was I dreaming, or is that the buck aggiehunter told you about and helped you to find?

coach
11-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Very nice buck, FD. Great mount too.

Fisher-Dude
11-17-2011, 01:18 PM
Was I dreaming, or is that the buck aggiehunter told you about and helped you to find?

Haha, Aggie has never seen a whitetail if you believe his posts about how rare they are!

Very nice buck, FD. Great mount too.

Thanks. Another Harley White masterpiece.

jconn
10-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Darke Lake is pretty much it for Summerland Whities. East side. Naramata, Beave Lake Road, Postill, Ellison all hold whities....and hunters. If you dont want to be skunked, buy a bow. Best bow hunting around is in the area you just hunted all of October. You have to find the winter ranges. Look for steep terrain heading to valley bottoms (private land). Catchem on the way up in the morning and down in the evening. Use google to find the winter ranges. They are very distinct in that area. Stay under 3000 elv.

Does anyone know where the no shooting/shot only boundaries are? Looking to head up to the area bow hunting next week. The map in the regs is not exactly descriptive..