PDA

View Full Version : Spike camp shelters?

steepNdeep
09-23-2006, 01:49 PM
What do you use for spike camps, when hunting up high? Anyone bivouac?

For our spike camps we use a Hennessy Hammock. They weigh less than 3 lbs, are comfortable, have a bug screen and rain fly and your don't need level ground or a thermarest... All you need is 2 trees (although you can use poles, rocks and ropes). I think they are the sh!t for e-shelters and spike camps... (although we call them bear burritos and you do feel a bit exposed :shock: ). Here's a pic from our elk hunt... Camping in the bush we could hear animals moving in close.http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bbs-hammock.jpg

One of our lil' neighbours (size 12 boots) left his calling card :shock: ...sweet dreams...
http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bb-bear-sht.jpg

kutenay
09-23-2006, 02:11 PM
I prefer to use Integral Designs bivies plus syltarps for shelters and have a Kifaru Paratipi for this, as well. I find that a ID bivy, tarp, North Twin bag plus a Big Agnes IAC pad with a Ridgerest under it is the easiest shelter to use in any conditions and the over-all weight, including my pillow cover and synthetic LJs for sleeping is 10 lbs. This keep me comfy down to 0*F and fits neatly in one of my hunting backpacks, the peace of mind it gives me on solo trips is worth the cost and weight.

Integral Designs:

South Col eVENT bivy-22 oz.
Syltarp III-20 oz
North Twin Broad bag-62oz.
Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Pad-26 oz.
Ridgerest large-19oz

This is actually VERY comfortable and that is worth the packing of it on multi-day trips, I sometimes mix and match with other gear to adapt the camp to different conditions. I consider a camp like this as important in serious backcountry hunting as your rifle, optics, boots and pack, so, buying quality like ID is a good idea, IMO.

JMac
09-23-2006, 05:46 PM
I've used a serratus guides tarp (2lbs) for a while and can make several different styles of shelters with it. Right now I use a MARMOT Firstlight 2 tent (4lb 12 oz). Little heavy for 1 but perfect for 2. I use a prolite 3 regular thermarest (20 oz) and a down MEC bag (3lbs). If it gets colder than my bag can handle ( no pun intended!) I'll use my HH poly top and bottoms and toque and wool socks. I use compression bags on my sleeping bag and all my clothing. This really saves room as most good hunting clothes are synthetic, fleece, and/or goretex and can really be shrunk down. I've heavily abused my Tatonka external packframe over the years at work and while hunting and I feel they are very tough. Cooking gear is MSR - pocket rocket stove (4oz), isopro canister 8 (oz), and duralite pots. Food is a matter of preference so I won't bore you to death on that one. All in all my pack overall is probably on the heavier side. I'd rather be comfortable, well rested, and ready to get r done than piss'n and moan'n about being too cold or not getting enough sleep.

steepNdeep
09-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Kutenay, I'm thinking of getting an 8 man Paratipi for my base camp. I assume that you have the 4 man. Do you use the stove? How do you like it?

todbartell
09-25-2006, 05:15 PM
bear burrito haha :lol:

Fisher-Dude
09-25-2006, 10:08 PM
One of our lil' neighbours (size 12 boots) left his calling card :shock: ...sweet dreams...
http://www.secretcreeksupplies.com/bb-bear-sht.jpg

Don't ya be steppin' in that and twistin' yer ankle...that could make for a sh*tty trip! :biggrin:

kutenay
09-26-2006, 04:59 AM
Dean, I bought the Paratipi first, without stove and it is a good shelter for ONE guy, two men of your size will be very cramped. I do not have a stove for this tent.

I then bought a 6 man about a year ago and found it to be not as roomy as I expected, so, I exchanged it for an 8 man which I received in July of this year. I have the large stove with it, but, have not used the stove as yet, so cannot give a report. The 8 man is adequate for a two man base camp in rough weather, but, I find the tipis too cramped for larger groups in the kind of conditions we experience here in BC.

For a twosome who are hardcore backpack hunters, this tipi combo is about the best option as the Paratipi WILL shelter two guys on shorter trips without stove and the 8 man works well for their base camp. Kifaru gear is VERY expensive, however.

steepNdeep
09-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Dewey, Thanks for the info! I just found out my friend has the 8 man, which he loves. Him and my elk hunting partner just got back from a trip where they used it as base camp. They said it was perfect.

GoatGuy
09-26-2006, 12:19 PM
How about a tarp???? Light weight, easy to setup.

No trees big enough up high for a bivouac.

I'm looking for a bivy but I want something big enough for me and also need something for the dog when she's soaking wet and shivering. Atleast with the tent there's enough room for her under the vestibule.

Any suggestions?

kutenay
09-26-2006, 12:33 PM
For one man plus dog, the best over-all solution is the Integral Designs Mega Sola Bivy, actually a "tent" in OD at about 3.5 lbs. I bought an Early Winters Light Dimension tent in 1977-78 which was the first commercial Gore-Tex product and used it long and hard for many years until the floor was worn out and the pumpkin-yellow canopy was faded near-white. My younger brother, my Labrador "Spot" and I could all squeeze into this and did on many a cold night and slept in comfort during severe alpine storms at home in the Kootenays.

The ID unit I refer to is an identical design, but,slightly smaller and I plus my Rottweiler(s), one at a time as they fight like h*ll to get nearest to me, can comfortably fit inside and it stays WARM with dog plus candlelantern. Even without DOG, I have enough room in this, which I have tested but do not own, or, the ID MKI-XL tent I have for REAL comfort at high elevations.

Integral Designs CANNOT sell their superb tents here in Canada, due to the usual gov.'t "nanny-state" BS, but, this Mega Sola is considered a "bivy" and is legal for sale. I buy my ID tents from Charlie at www.bearriveroutfitters.org (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.org) and my other ID gear from Mountain Magic in Surrey. This ID Mega Sola is probably the best rig available for the 3-4 day alpine hunter, but, like all good gear, it is pricey...big surprise!!!

GoatGuy
10-01-2006, 10:58 PM
For one man plus dog, the best over-all solution is the Integral Designs Mega Sola Bivy, actually a "tent" in OD at about 3.5 lbs. I bought an Early Winters Light Dimension tent in 1977-78 which was the first commercial Gore-Tex product and used it long and hard for many years until the floor was worn out and the pumpkin-yellow canopy was faded near-white. My younger brother, my Labrador "Spot" and I could all squeeze into this and did on many a cold night and slept in comfort during severe alpine storms at home in the Kootenays.

The ID unit I refer to is an identical design, but,slightly smaller and I plus my Rottweiler(s), one at a time as they fight like h*ll to get nearest to me, can comfortably fit inside and it stays WARM with dog plus candlelantern. Even without DOG, I have enough room in this, which I have tested but do not own, or, the ID MKI-XL tent I have for REAL comfort at high elevations.

Integral Designs CANNOT sell their superb tents here in Canada, due to the usual gov.'t "nanny-state" BS, but, this Mega Sola is considered a "bivy" and is legal for sale. I buy my ID tents from Charlie at www.bearriveroutfitters.org (http://www.bearriveroutfitters.org) and my other ID gear from Mountain Magic in Surrey. This ID Mega Sola is probably the best rig available for the 3-4 day alpine hunter, but, like all good gear, it is pricey...big surprise!!!

Getting 'em checked out right now! Thanks for the tip - may very well be the ticket.