PDA

View Full Version : Woman gets hit by a pellet fired by by goose hunters

squeasel
11-10-2011, 05:04 PM
Oh-oh. The optics are never good in these cases.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pellet+hits+woman+walking+near+Langley+hunters/5692007/story.html

peashooter
11-10-2011, 05:08 PM
This should get interesting

Crazy_Farmer
11-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Dont know the area, but does the trail go through private land? Or is that trail public property?

rocksteady
11-10-2011, 05:41 PM
Glad they wer not using slugs :)

r106
11-10-2011, 05:49 PM
At least the bylaw officer seemed to defend them a little.

Chessieguy
11-10-2011, 06:05 PM
the woman received a red mark about the size of a dime on her handHard to believe a pellet from a goose load left a red mark the size of a dime...but didnt break skin.

Sounds to me like someone who didn't like the fact that they were hunting there and is making an issue of it.

r106
11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
Hard to believe a pellet from a goose load left a red mark the size of a dime...but didnt break skin.

Sounds to me like someone who didn't like the fact that they were hunting there and is making an issue of it.

good point

fowlweather
11-10-2011, 06:13 PM
"Storie said that some years back the municipality tried to narrow the scope of the bylaw after complaints that goose hunters were using blinds, lures, and wearing camouflage"

haha are you serious... duh!! by lures they mean decoys

BernDawg
11-12-2011, 08:37 AM
Where's the pellet? My bet is that it wasn't the hunters at all. Just someone with a chip on their shoulder who lashes out at the obvious.

Horsefly bite
Wasp sting
Whipping branch
Pecker-head kid with a BB gun

The list of possible scenarios goes on and on....

keoke
11-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Probably shot herself with an airsoft gun

buck nash
11-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Dont know the area, but does the trail go through private land? Or is that trail public property?

I'm not positive but I believe it's public. There's a narrow parkway that connects the two parks. The parkway is not much wider then the trail, it runs between some feilds and crosses the roads that run perpendicular.

I don't see why the injury described is hard to believe. I'm sure a pellet travelling at non-lethal speeds could still leave a welt without breaking the skin. I've been hit by a pellet from a air rifle that left such a mark. It's a lot easier to believe then her shooting herself to blacken the names of hunters. I'm sorry but that sounds as crazy as some of the stuff we here from antis.

I'd say these hunters need to be more careful otherwise the antis will have the ammo they need to close hunting in this area. Elections are coming and we wouldn't some town councellor to campaign on this now would we.

Malley Whacker
11-21-2011, 03:36 PM
You guys need to get all the facts before you start beekin about stuff you don't know. First off the hunters had permision they called the RCMP to let them know they would be hunting in the area and they where more than a safe distance from the trail (300 plus meters) . After talking to the CO that attended the complaint call the hunters involved and the RCMP It was determined that no rules were broken .

3mk
12-04-2011, 07:57 AM
woh so many pepole dont like hunting .but why do they jump in there SUV go to starbucks drive 30 min out of town just to walk there dog .AT LEAST WE ARE PUTTING FOOD ON THE TABLE. PS PICK UP YOUR CUP!!!!

Dutch
12-04-2011, 11:10 AM
we walk a fine line in Langley,I always watch pretty closely when hunting in Delta as we always seem close to a dyke but there are some tough areas to see anybody around out here even if you are a suitable distance.Found that my rangefinder has come in rather handy.Don't forget about the 2 women english immigrants that wanted to "save" all the geese from dreadfull hunters out here a few years back hence the lures

NitwiT
12-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Sounds like a pellet descending from above, would explain velocity and the fact that she only got hit by one of many

Spy
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Sounds like a pellet descending from above, would explain velocity and the fact that she only got hit by one of many

Even a pellet that is decending will break the skin!I had a buddy that was hit above the eye by a decending pellet & it had to be removed! Knocked him down on his ass!That was a lead pellet,so maybe steel shot will slow down more,I don't know.Sounds like BS to me.Did they pick up the pellet as proof?That would have being the natural thing to do!

NitwiT
12-05-2011, 02:26 PM
What if a fly bit her as she passes the hunters.....

Spy
12-05-2011, 02:33 PM
What if a fly bit her as she passes the hunters.....

I don't believe she got shot /Hit! The pellet would Be on the ground in the general vicinity!I will call BS until a pellet is found!If they were in a group I beleive there would have being more pellets hitting more people or at least around them!Its raining shot!

Spy
12-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Anyone have a metal detecter!

mijinkal
12-05-2011, 03:17 PM

I live around the corner from the trail and walk, jog it all the time. I don't know if it's public property, or private property with a right of way. It's fenced off on both sides and well marked.
I hear guys shooting nearby all the time, I'm assuming it's these hunters or their friends. I wouldn't mind tagging along one day ;)
My guess is that it's just people that don't like hunters in the area and are making a big stink about it and fabricating a the story.
I'm surprised that they didn't say their horse got hit and bucked them off. That would get all the horse people all pissed off and council would probably hear all about it!

longshot
12-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Ya, plus if they were 300 meters from the trail there should not have been pellets landing on it... unless there was a good wind and maybe some use of 3.5" BBB Hevi-Shot or something lol! Plus I have tested with a range finder that the maximum I can reach out 3" Federal Steel #2's cruzin' at 1550 fps is 240 meters..... I tried maaanny angles and the absolute furthest was 240 meters and that number is VERY consistant.

.300wsm
12-11-2011, 07:52 PM
maybe the should stay clear of people hunting and at 300m away I call bullshit and by her calling the police isn't that interfering on a legal hunt ? probably screwed the rest of the birds coming in due to the drama going on. I have shot at geese and ducks straight up and when the shot hits the water it barley breaks the surface tension on the water. size of a dime must have been using buck shot haha

lilhoss
12-11-2011, 08:32 PM
I think the Municipalities and Regional Districts all over BC need to do a little more educating the public during the active hunting seasons.There are trail systems all over the place where people with dogs,horses,and kids cross paths with shotgun areas,bowhunting areas,and I know of an area right behind Ladysmith that is open to rifles,with people walking in the immediate areas.If the trail this woman was on had some general info about adjacent lands and the possibilty of hunters,then she may think twice.But,that kind of advertising would draw and even bigger crowd to City Hall.

huntwriter
12-11-2011, 09:42 PM
I live around the corner from the trail and walk, jog it all the time. I don't know if it's public property, or private property with a right of way. It's fenced off on both sides and well marked.
I hear guys shooting nearby all the time, I'm assuming it's these hunters or their friends. I wouldn't mind tagging along one day ;)
My guess is that it's just people that don't like hunters in the area and are making a big stink about it and fabricating a the story.
I'm surprised that they didn't say their horse got hit and bucked them off. That would get all the horse people all pissed off and council would probably hear all about it!

Having lived in that area of Langley and walked that trail often with my wife I can attest to the fact that people around there carry a big chip on the shoulder when it comes to hunters and hunting. The horse owners and hobby riders are not much better, they truly think the park and walkways belong to them.

TheProvider
12-11-2011, 09:59 PM
Could've happened, no one will ever know. The hunters could've been twice the distance they were when the squirrel chewed off a pine cone that fell from the tree an struck the womens hand and the hunters would still get blamed

The Dude
12-11-2011, 10:26 PM
You guys need to get all the facts before you start beekin about stuff you don't know. First off the hunters had permision they called the RCMP to let them know they would be hunting in the area and they where more than a safe distance from the trail (300 plus meters) . After talking to the CO that attended the complaint call the hunters involved and the RCMP It was determined that no rules were broken .

Well let's all be thankful that the hunters weren't placed on the ground in a compliant pose and then boot-****ed by the RCMP.
See? Every cloud has a silver lining! :D

fowl language
12-12-2011, 08:42 AM
i know 2 of the 3 hunter,s involved and they shoot 1550 fps. bb,s and i know these shells will carry 300 yards as we rained a steel roof barn once and was shocked .went back to the truck and got the range finder and it was just over 300 yards. the heavier pellets have more energy enabling them to carry further..often wondered how far a 4 buck would travel..as for weather it was a decending pellet or not, i care to nor speculate....fowl

walks with deer
01-16-2012, 04:47 PM
I have been hit by bb shot by other duck hunters descending shot from 150 yards away aswell as #7 led descending shot away.

However if the hunters were shooting along the feild and the goose was 10ft of the ground i could see a injury. I dont normally shot towards dog walkers.

however she could have just ran with a non issue.

Phreddy
01-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Lawrence said he thinks shooting so close to a trail used by dog walkers, joggers, and horse riders is unsafe.

Read more: http://www.langleyadvance.com/news/Pellet+hits+woman+walking+near+Langley+hunters/5692007/story.html#ixzz1jk26tRlB

They should close that trial to dog walkers, joggers, and horse riders. (heh-heh) For just once, I'd like to see the hunters come out on top in a situation like this, but it probably ain't likely to happen.

cloverphil
01-17-2012, 11:57 AM
maybe the woman should have just stayed in the kitchen, then none of this would have happened :-)

Spy
01-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Lawrence said he thinks shooting so close to a trail used by dog walkers, joggers, and horse riders is unsafe.

Dog walkers,horse riders & joggers should not be using the trail,while licensed hunters are shooting!

Fixed it for him!:-D