PDA

View Full Version : First Goat

Brew
11-10-2011, 03:36 PM
Well last season Bigboar and I got a leh goat draw. Bigboar went and and was lucky enough to bag one. I had to stay home do to a buggered ankle.
I applied again and got the same draw.
Oct.26 rolled around and I left after work to meet Mr. and Mrs. Bigboar in the East Koots for my first ever goat hunt. We would load up our packs and hike in about 6km everyday to our glassing location. On the second day in we spotted this guy and put him to bed and Dave put up a post that night asking if it was a shooter.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?73898-Pull-the-trigger-On-this&highlight=Goat+billy
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/IMG_4414.jpg
The next morning we got up extra early and headed for the glassing spot. We set up the glass and started scanning the hills where we last saw the snowy beast. We found him and a few other billy's up pretty high on the hill. We made a plan for the stalk and started on our way. 3/4 of the way up it got steeper and we found ourselves scrambling up some very steep terrain. This is where I found out that Bigboar himself is half goat. He sure climbs up fast without any fear. I myself am a little more cautious and found myself asking "What did I get myself into." At one point I stopped and was not going to go any further even though it was only 50 more feet. I sat there while Dave was glassing the goats. They were not there he said.
He shuffled down the cliff edge a bit more and he he looks at me and sais. "GOATS." Without thinking I was over there ready for a shot. We ranged them at 450 yard in and old slide. Way too far for my 35 whelen to shoot so we came up with a new plan.
We went back done the hill a ways and up a rocky path that led up to a shear vertical cliff 300 feet straight down. The ledge we were on was only about 5 feet wide and we stopped at the last known tree there.
Glassing up I spotted a nanny a kid and a small bedded billy. We waited for a few minutes and realized that the billy was still in the same slide just out of view. Dave pipes up with a new plan. The cliff on the otherside of the slide is 350 yards away. Shoot it and see if the billy will head up towards the other goats. I line up my scope and tell Dave which rock I am aiming for and squeeze the trigger. The bullet hits its mark. I reload and wait for goats. 3 minutes later 4 billy's climb up above the nanny and small bedded billy below. The last one up was the big guy. Dave ranges him at 250 yards but I dont have a shot. He keeps walking in amongst the dead trees heading farther away. Everytime Dave gives me a range I have no shot. Finally just as I am thinking this goat is going to leave me forever he turns broadside with just his shoulder showing between 2 trees. Dave ranges him at 350 and I put the 300yard pin in my scope on his upper shoulder and squeeze. He's down Dave yells. Wow what a shot. I cant believe I pulled it off.
The time was 1pm now and we had to book it back down the hill, over a gully and then back up the hill to the goat to skin, debone and pack him out. I couldn't believe my eyes when we got to him. He's huge. Way bigger than expected for my first goat. We took some pics and got to work and packed him out the 8kms or so. What a heavy pack. It wasnt bad at first but the last km was horrible. We followed fresh griz tracks and steaming piles of bear crap out in the dark. I have never been so happy to see my truck ever and the first beer back at camp never tasted so good. My legs were so tired I could hardly get my ass into Dave and Corys trailer.
Cory was great. She had hot food ready for us too. Dave your a lucky Guy.
We drank whisky and skinned out the scull and hooves of the goat for my half mount till 2 in the am. What a great day and a great hunt. I couldnt have done it with out Dave. What a great hunting partner and if it wasnt for him This goat would not have been possible. Thanks for pushing me to my limits Dave and I cant wait to Go again next year.
Excuse my horrible Grammar. Here are the pics
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/IMG_4475.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/IMG_4470.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss117/Bare20/IMG_4466.jpg

Everett
11-10-2011, 03:42 PM
Thats a nice looking goat congrats

coach
11-10-2011, 03:46 PM
Very nice goat, guys! Congratulations and thanks for posting.

gerrygoat
11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Congrats on your first goat he is a nice looking billy with a great coat and taken with a 35 Whelen to boot, my favorite cartridge. Thanks for sharing your hunt big billys get me fired up :)

Sitkaspruce
11-10-2011, 04:14 PM
Nice late season billy!!!!

Horn length and bases???

Getting him put on the wall??

Congrats to a great hunt!!!

Cheers

SS

Brew
11-10-2011, 04:36 PM
9.5 inches with 5.5 inch bases. Getting half mount done

rocksteady
11-10-2011, 04:42 PM
NICE!!!! I hope to post similar pictures this weekend...

Congrats...

yama49
11-10-2011, 04:58 PM
Nice job, congrats on your goat...

Ruger4
11-10-2011, 05:12 PM
congrats on an awesome goat,
one , if not thee toughest animals to harvest
great job guys

GoatGuy
11-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Way to go!!!!

Nice job.

d6dan
11-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Hell of a Goat!..Congrats.:-D

Brew
11-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I scored him at 45 7/8 just now using the boone and crocket website. The goat is 8 years old.

budismyhorse
11-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Nice job! will look great up on the wall.

BCbillies
11-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Great job . . . you won't soon forget this hunt! Big body and nice horn on this billy.

Lesson learned by some of us - "do not estimate horn size or maturity from a cell phone quality photo." I'd say he had us fooled. :wink:

It looks like the billy in photos #1-3 was taken but that said the photo #1 didn't show much horn mass. Photo #4 looked like a young goat (dished face, smaller body) but I could be wrong.

Brew
11-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Another lesson we learned was that comparing horn bases to eyes is a horrible way to define wether a goat is a nanny or billy. We saw numerous nannys with huge bases and no kids in site. I also learned that danner canadians are not the good boots to go up a mountain with. especially when you have a bad ankle. New boots are coming my way soon.
The pics of the goat when alive were from 1000 yards away with the camera looking through the spotter. Compared to the other goats on the hill he was obviously the big billy of the herd. Huge hump, huge head, dark rump and big nuts between his legs that you could spot when he was walking away.
By far the most rewarding hunt for me yet and I am hooked. Coastal goats are next I think.

Rubberfist
11-10-2011, 06:59 PM
There seems to be no inbetween with goat hunting: some never go back again, and others can't wait until their next asskicking. For me, there is goat hunting and then everything else. That's a choice billy you scored and what's even better, it sounds as though the hook has been set in pretty deep!

For off the shelf "mountain hunting" boots, consider The Kenetrek Mountain boots or Lowa Sheep Hunter GTX Extreme - I use both and they have been good. Some recommend the Meindle Canada Hunting boot, but I haven't used them personally.

Anyhow, congrats and have fun on the coast...the terrain is an evil b*tch!

ianwuzhere
11-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Congrats- looks like a nice one too!

Blainer
11-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Good on the both of you!
Great lookin' Billy!
and yes,Mr. & Mrs. BigBore are good people!

porcupine
11-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Congratulations on getting one of BC's best trophies. That's a very nice goat and well earned. A heck of a good shot too. Nothing like a successful goat hunt to make whiskey taste good! Congrats again.

BiG Boar
11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Definitely one of the classiest hunts of the season. Albeit by far the hardest physically. Never imagined I would be back chasing those critters myself. There is something about mountain hunting that just gets into your blood. If introduced in a kind and gentle way, many times the hunter will continue it for the rest of his life. Sorry for introducing you to a nightmare. With all the hiking I put in, including before you came, I figure I was upwards of 50kms in 4 days. Not a wonder I still have a cough.

Its guys like BC Billies, and Open sights on here that inspired me to chase goats one day, and its stories like this that will inspire guys who are just starting out. Yes, it is possible.

I think if you had known what you were in for Brew, you may have never made the 13 hour drive in the snow storm.

But, I can also say you did everything perfect on that hunt. Great stalk, great set up, great shot, great hurry on the pictures, skinning, quartering and the pack down, and good work making it to the truck alive with no injuries. Even as your muscles were spasming for you to go to bed, you learned how to turn ears, lips, and hooves. Mean while, I gave tips on how to swill a good whisky.

Can't wait for next time.

Now we just need to get Mrs. Brew out there too!

Congratulations on an incredible long haired beast, and an incredible experience. It's definitely one I won't soon forget.

BimmerBob
11-10-2011, 09:01 PM
Congrats Brew on a fine BC Billy! Your hunting crew is a pretty classy group, Dave and Corey are the best! Great story and thanks for sharing.

springpin
11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Nice goat!! I took my first goat this year!

kootenayelkslayer
11-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Great billy, congrats!

srupp
11-10-2011, 10:05 PM
wonderful goat well done and well deserved...hard work pays off..

As to Bigbore 14 he is without a doubt the only person I have ever met who is without fear..literally..and I have witnessed him also going straight up a shale slide after stone sheep.. a beast?? works like an animal...

well done..and to Dave and Corey also..

srupp

todbartell
11-10-2011, 10:18 PM
yeeeeeaahhhhhhhhhh boi

cavebear
11-10-2011, 10:39 PM
please post pics of mount, congrats on an amazing animal and hunt :)

boxhitch
11-10-2011, 11:57 PM
Attago guys.
Some great old goats going down. 'Age over horn' is a good rule

moose2
11-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Nice goat guys it sounds like it was well deserved. Great stories and pictures as well.
Mike