PDA

View Full Version : Ground/water swatting?

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 03:19 PM
Thoughts?

How do you feel about this? any less sporting? cleaner kill with no meat wastage(i.e more head shots)

I have an opinion( i know big surprise) but i'll hold it for now.

Lorne

Fixit
11-10-2011, 03:24 PM
ok with me.

perhaps to some its about the meat, to others more about the game

squeasel
11-10-2011, 03:28 PM
For myself, I get way more pleasure out of shooting moving targets in the air. That's what makes shotgunning so fun. From my experience of trying to finish off cripples in the water, they're definitely harder to kill this way as their vitals are protected. However, my opinion on these types of matters has always been if it's legal, then whatever floats your boat.

Chessieguy
11-10-2011, 03:38 PM
Not a big fan of it.

I find that from what I have experienced of it ( a son that was learning to hunt waterfowl who would do it until he built the confidence and ability to take shots on flying birds) it was not as effective as taking the shot on the wing. A flying bird is actually a bigger target to hit in my opinion.

However it is legal so it then becomes a matter of personal opinion.

Ian F.
11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
I ground swat mergansers all the time!

Crazy_Farmer
11-10-2011, 05:18 PM
Any person who even brings up the statement of a sitting duck is stronger or harder to hit is doing something wrong. Sure there may proect their vitals with their wings over their sides......but a little thing called their HEAD and NECK are above the waterline and a single pellet to both those areas will kill a bird.

Lorne, I dont get to shoot many turkeys a year, none to be exact. How else would I get to enjoy a good turkey hunt by calling in some geese, and lining up a big gobbler/gander on the ground. backpeddling in the decoys for the win though.

rocksteady
11-10-2011, 05:38 PM
I was confused by the term...back in my duck hunting days on the North Island, we used to call it "sloosing"......Was not my favorite technique, but when I started I usd a single shot, break open Cooey 12, so a second shot was not possible, therefore the sloosing was the only way I could get a duck for sure.....I changed my practice as soon as I got my 12 guage pump....

mattchu_19
11-10-2011, 05:54 PM
You have to ask yourself this question, If you shoot a duck on the ground does it not taste the same as one shot in the air. I come from a long line of meat hunters, My dad says my great grandpa would let a bunch of ducks land and then line up 2 or 3 and put the first shot on the water.

Mr. Dean
11-10-2011, 06:02 PM
A kill is a kill.
Dead is dead.

I've Sloosed.
Are you a Slooser too?

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Well for me its 100% not a matter of if i thinks its ok, because i think definitely thinks its ok!

as far as actually doing it.

It depends..

Earlier in the year when meat is the main focus birds get shot on the ground quite a bit. But also alot of times we are letting small groups land with bigger groups behind them and the bigger ones dont quite do it right so the ones on the ground get it. As the season progresses, less and less get swatted. I havent swatted a duck in last 3 hunts, which i am sure is some kind of record. however if a bird sneaks into the decoys and is milling around hes gonna get it

To me why waterfowling is so additictive is it never gets old when hundreds birds land ON you.... Not fly around you or in the distance i mean on top of your layout walking around feeding 5 yards from you. If you Put birds on the ground or water within 20 yards. To me you have won, that bird is already dead. And thats what its all about. Shooting it is just confirmation.

ROEBUCK
11-10-2011, 07:03 PM
people used to make a living in britain by using a large bore shotgun(2 gauge) 2 pounds of shot and punt to a flock of birds
and fire a fourten to make the birds lift, and then fire the big gun when the birds were a foot or two of the water.
the record was well over a hundred birds with 1 shot.
birds are harder to kill on the water than in the air for sure !

heyblast
11-10-2011, 07:12 PM
No I don't shoot ducks sitting on the water. In fact more than once I 've had ducks land in the dekes well with in range and they've gotten a pass. You can learn a lot about thier behavior if you sit back and watch them move around, plus just the enjoyment of knowing your set-up is working. It's not a numbers game for me, it's being out in the field and enjoying. It's legal, it's your choice' but it ain't going to be around me.

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 07:18 PM
So lindsey,

you wouldnt hunt with a guy that water swats?

f350ps
11-10-2011, 07:45 PM
My opinion is ya gotta be pretty desperate if ya gotta Blacktop any waterfowl unless it's a cripple. But whatever floats yer boat but if you were in my blind you'd only do it once. K

Foxton Gundogs
11-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Have done, usually collecting meat for the soup pot when big game hunting, thats when I head shoot grouse on the ground as well. But I love the comedy of missing flying birds way to much to make a habit of it lol. And to answer the question they definately taste the same ground sluced or wing shot. lol.

f350ps
11-10-2011, 08:08 PM
Have done, usually collecting meat for the soup pot when big game hunting, thats when I head shoot grouse on the ground as well. But I love the comedy of missing flying birds way to much to make a habit of it lol. And to answer the question they definately taste the same ground sluced or wing shot. lol.

I have no problems blacktoppin a grouse or turkey but a nice Ringneck is a different story, I couldn't do it. K

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 08:08 PM
I wonder if it matters to a bird if you shoot him/her on the wing or on the ground? :)

field marshal
11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Ground Sluicing is on a par with Dry Gulching!!! Which some people on this site seem to think is SPORTING?????:evil:----Cheers---Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 08:15 PM
Ground Sluicing is on a par with Dry Gulching!!! Which some people on this site seem to think is SPORTING?????:evil:----Cheers---Field Marshal.

Depends what you want out of the sport i guess. Top me a limit shot head shooting birds 10 yards on the ground is alot more "sporting" then someone sky busting at 50 yards at everything that flies by o get there limit. The sporting part to me is the fooling part. how they die i could careless.

f350ps
11-10-2011, 08:21 PM
Depends what you want out of the sport i guess. Top me a limit shot head shooting birds 10 yards on the ground is alot more "sporting" then someone sky busting at 50 yards at everything that flies by o get there limit. The sporting part to me is the fooling part. how they die i could careless.

So if ya can fool them to land what is more sporting, shooting them on the wing in the decoys or on the ground? Nobody said anything about skybusting, not a big fan of that either. K

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 08:38 PM
So if ya can fool them to land what is more sporting, shooting them on the wing in the decoys or on the ground? Nobody said anything about skybusting, not a big fan of that either. K

Well skybusting is "on the wing" so to speak. And again i think what is more "sporting" is a matter of opinion. A duck is completely fooled if it lands. It takes skill, talent, and a greater understanding to consistently land birds. It doesnt take much to get birds into shooting range IMO. Also how many birds do not get recovered when they are shot on the ground vs shot on the wing? I have never heard someone say " shit man, i swatted all day today, limited out but lost a cpl." I would much rather hunt with people that swat then skybust.

Lorne

P.s i would also prefer to shoot on the wing most times...

huckle buck
11-10-2011, 08:47 PM
if they land in the decoys then shoot . good enough

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 08:49 PM

Dry gulching? never heard that term so i googled it.. this is what came up. Never really thought of water swatting in this sort of way. You have quite the imagination you little hobbit!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dry%20gulching&defid=769888

field marshal
11-10-2011, 08:50 PM
if they land in the decoys then shoot . good enough

Not in MY decoys,sonny!!!!!!!----Field Marshal.

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 08:59 PM
My opinion is ya gotta be pretty desperate if ya gotta Blacktop any waterfowl unless it's a cripple. But whatever floats yer boat but if you were in my blind you'd only do it once. K

I have no problems blacktoppin a grouse or turkey but a nice Ringneck is a different story, I couldn't do it. K

it's always interesting to see what hunters decide to choose as their own personal code of conduct. This is a great example.

Many avid grouse hunters consider it sinful to ground sluice a grouse, and would never invite you back to hunt with them if you did.

Odd bunch, us hunters! :)

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 09:04 PM
I agree Gatehouse!!

this is always an interesting topic, this is why i brought it up. I was talking with an old timer this morning and he was anti sluece. claiming the same "its not sporting".

So i posed a few questions to him.

I was taught when i started hunting that you should always take the most humane quickest death shot when taking an animals life. You owe it that.

So i ask some of you this. How many birds have you wounded wing shooting? chased around the field or the water having to shoot them again. How many birds have you lost wing shooting? that would sail a mile away, and die over night? How many necks have you had to ring? Its not many if any when you swat.

If a deer is standing broadside would you try and make it run and shoot a running deer because its more "sporting". My assumption is no. How is this different?

If you made a post on the main forum that you only shoot running unglates because its more sporting you would have 10 pages in a about an hour of people wanting to hang you from the trees and not one person agreeing that its ok! However because its a duck it is somehow different.

Crazy_Farmer
11-10-2011, 09:04 PM
People shoot grouse in the air?

Whonnock Boy
11-10-2011, 09:35 PM
People shoot grouse in the air?

LOL!!! Yeah, I can only think of one grouse that I shot while flying. I remember because I shot it with a 22. I guess if there was ever one time I was going to be sporting, I took it to the max. :-D

f350ps
11-10-2011, 10:05 PM
"Skybusting" isn't in your original question, I thought you were talking about decoying birds? K

f350ps
11-10-2011, 10:07 PM
it's always interesting to see what hunters decide to choose as their own personal code of conduct. This is a great example.

Many avid grouse hunters consider it sinful to ground sluice a grouse, and would never invite you back to hunt with them if you did.

Odd bunch, us hunters! :)

If I was hunting Grouse with a dog I'd never Blacktop one either. K

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
"Skybusting" isn't in your original question, I thought you were talking about decoying birds? K

No skybusting wasnt in the orginal, however some mentioned that wing shooting is the only acceptable method. And its hard to debate if skybusting is considered wing shooting.
The orginal post was regarding is if people feel its less "sporting"

The reason i worded the question that way was because i knew the answer i would get from some. Which would lead into more dialouge like what i posted in my last post. Yet i havent had any of the "its not sporting" group bite on that one just yet. Which isnt really surprising.

Lorne

emerson
11-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree Gatehouse!!

this is always an interesting topic, this is why i brought it up. I was talking with an old timer this morning and he was anti sluece. claiming the same "its not sporting".

So i posed a few questions to him.

If a deer is standing broadside would you try and make it run and shoot a running deer because its more "sporting". My assumption is no. How is this different?

If you made a post on the main forum that you only shoot running unglates because its more sporting you would have 10 pages in a about an hour of people wanting to hang you from the trees and not one person agreeing that its ok! However because its a duck it is somehow different.
Hmmm. You make an excellent point.

f350ps
11-10-2011, 10:58 PM
No skybusting wasnt in the orginal, however some mentioned that wing shooting is the only acceptable method. And its hard to debate if skybusting is considered wing shooting.
The orginal post was regarding is if people feel its less "sporting"

The reason i worded the question that way was because i knew the answer i would get from some. Which would lead into more dialouge like what i posted in my last post. Yet i havent had any of the "its not sporting" group bite on that one just yet. Which isnt really surprising.

Lorne
So do you use iron sights or a scope for swattin? I know what I would use ( but I'll save that for now ) just lookin for your thoughts? K

lorneparker1
11-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Great reply! *eye roll* Try to stay on topic..... Its not my fault i left the door open and you walked right through it... By the way this isn't aything personal or directed at any one person, just trying to understand the thought process of why someone would actually be looked down upon for taking the most ethical shot and humane shot because in the eyes of some its not sporting. Why are ducks different? that is the new question.

As i have stated twice, I prefer to shoot birds on the wing, because its more fun, and maybe because its a little more dramatic. That is all. However, i think its completely wrong to shun people for swatting as it is by far efficent,and proficent way to kill a bird. Again, how many wounded birds from swatting? pretty much 0. I never have to ring a birds neck after swatting as they usually have no head. I have never lost a bird after swatting it. I very rarely get a breast full of bb's when a bird is swatted. I would feel comfortable saying that 1-4 birds i wing shoot need to be dispatched after. Meaning at minimum 1-4 birds i shoot on the wing are not dead when they are first shot, but need to be killed by shooting again, or ringing its neck. biting its head off, whatever floats your boat. Maybe even greater then that.

If one anti swatter changes his thought process, this thread was a success. Water swatters are human beings too.

Lorne

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 11:43 PM
If I was hunting Grouse with a dog I'd never Blacktop one either. K

Dog or no dog, some guys consider sluicing grouse criminal, and if they knew someone had done so, even without a dog, they wouldn't be invited on a hunt.

Whonnock Boy
11-10-2011, 11:54 PM
Can someone please enlighten me with some of the terminology here.

Black topping....... shooting while on the ground???
Sluicing...... shooting while on the water????
Sky busting ????
Dry gulching ????

I never knew bird hunting was so complex. :confused:

Gateholio
11-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Sluicing= gorund sluicing= shooting birds while on the ground. Where it came from I don't know.

Dry Gulching was an old west term for ambushing someone and shooting them in the back.

Sky busting is shooting at high birds, out of range.

Black topping I"ve never heard before, must be a lower mainland saying.

saskbooknut
11-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Add "Arkansas" to your terms for ground sluicing as in..... "He arkansawed that big goose in the decoys"

shotgunjohn
11-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Ground sluicing v.s. shooting in the air (within range).
My question for the sluicers or swatter if you prefer that term is.

WHAT FUN IS THAT?

heyblast
11-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Sky busting has nothing to do with wing shooting and no you won't be with me if your busted them on the ground or water. As for grouse go to Ontario if you want to shoot them on the wing.

Spirit's Master
11-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Personal preference for me is to wing shoot waterfowl or grouse. I feel it is more 'sporting'. But I have also sluiced ducks/geese and blacktopped and even........tree shot grouse.

And then there is flossing fish, but that's another thread to hijack.

cwf

303Brit
11-11-2011, 09:26 AM
I only swat susies after they have landed and seperated from the drakes ;)

I think a few of you a missing the question, LP1 has asked why is it deemed acceptable or even the only way, to dispatch a duck in the less humane manner of the two presented.
Is it another form of I hunt holy'er then thou?

I think of it along the same lines as Lorne, the "sporting" aspect for me is a couple guys out in a field or on the water, and convincing the birds we are a safe place to be. Especially as the season progresses and birds become educated or weary(however you prefer to look at it)

yamadirt 426
11-11-2011, 09:43 AM
I wont do it but dont care what others do. Its not right to tell others how to hunt legally. I did have a cripple once. He was in a ditch and i was above him waiting for the dog. this guy was swimming under water and heading for a drainage. He was about 8 inches underwater and would not come up. i shot the water trying to hit him from 5' away. the shot didn't even reach him. dog got him :) Birds that make it into my spread get a free pass. nothing like live decoys. They sure don't know what to make of the 2 robos though lol

ROEBUCK
11-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Have no problem at all shooting them on the ground or on the water

some of you guys do make me laugh with your opinionated thoughts on whats right or wrong

if you try to kill a bird as humane as possible then "wtf"

personnally i have never had any interest in decoying birds on farm land as in my opinion its by far the easiest way of killing birds. Most shots are nearly sitting on the end of your barrel
but thats just my opinion,
for those guys that enjoy it,thats great but thats not for me
for me, i like the foreshore below high water mark.

lorneparker1
11-11-2011, 11:56 AM
Ground sluicing v.s. shooting in the air (within range).
My question for the sluicers or swatter if you prefer that term is.

WHAT FUN IS THAT?

Great thread so far!! I am glad we have made it 5 pages and no one has flipped out yet :) thats gotta be a record for HBC. Again i will re-iterate, i PREFER to shoot ducks on the wing, and 8 or 9 out of ten i would assume get shot this way.

However,

The "fun" for me john starts with scouting. Following the birds off the roost, driving 100kms an hour down a dirt rd trying to keep up with them to see where they are going.

The watching them with the binos for an hour, seeing how they act and where exactly they are. Then the door knocking to try and get permission if you dont already have it. Maybe finding out someone already as the feild. So you try and get a feild in between the roost and the feed field and traffic shoot them. Or maybe you get the 'X'. Then the prep the night before, making sure everything is ready, robos are charded up, going throgh the blind bag making sure you got your headlamp and enough shells.

Getting up 1.5 hours before sun up and loading the truck, getting out to the feild and starting to set up and hearing whistling wings above your head but its too dark to see them. Setting up the perfect spread and grassing up the blinds for the perfect hide. The walking 100's of ducks out of the decoys before legal light. Then its go time.

The birds start coming, circling once in front of you, then behind. You can hear the wings but you dont dare turn around. They are chatting, you are chatting back, this goes on for what seems like forever, then they committ. There wings lock, and they drop altitude faster then an f-18. They start backing stroking and the orange feet hit the ground. You won.

Thats the fun part for me. As i mentioned the act of killing them isnt what does it for me.

The whole point of this thread was because i have hunted all over canada and a bit in the u.s. for waterfowl. I have killed ducks in every province except the territories and the maritimes. And there are always guys not matter where you go that are anti-sluice. Some to the point where it enrages them and they look down upon people who do. And to that i ask why? its one thing to "prefer" to do it one way or another as some has said( which is who i am). But as mentioned a few times why would a guy get lambasted and hated on with such passion for doing something that is 1. perfectly legal, 2. by far the most humane and quickest kill (no cripples). There is no other animal we hunt where it is more acceptable to shoot a moving target. Mostly for the reason i just mentioned (high probably of wounding) yet with ducks it is not only the preferred way for some, it is the only way. Why is that?

For the record i have asked this question for years, to the hard core anti-sluicing group. And i have yet to get an answer that made any sense. I know there has got to be a good one that i am missing, because people are so passionate about it. I just havent heard it yet.

Ddog
11-11-2011, 12:01 PM
they never really have the chance to land with me,, but it makes no difference to me, i will shoot them outa the air.

Tanya
11-11-2011, 12:12 PM
LP1 post #45 is good stuff, that is definitely a big part of the whole experience...the hunt before the kill. I've taken waterfowl outa the air and on land. I do personally get a bigger rush out of a good crossing kill, or a knockdown as the wings set. I am perhaps more cautious than some as far as taking what I determine to be lower percentage shots, but that could be just my perfectionistic January born personality :biggrin: Or maybe I'm just cheap and don't want to waste ammo?? I am not one to take long shots, but if one lands in front of me I'm also likely to try to jump it before I shoot. Each to their own as long as it is legal. This is a great thread....and as you stated, debate without idiocy.

Ian F.
11-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Let see...

I've experienced that shooting a pa'tridge on the ground was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting a sitting duck (water, ground or otherwise) was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting any duck that wasn't a drake was a hanging offence
I've experienced that should you shoot anything but a perfectly decoying, feet down duck was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting anything other then a greenhead was a hanging offence
I've experienced that hunting without a dog was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting with anything less then a 3" 12ga was a hanging offence
I've experienced that if you DID NOT shoot a merganser and let it float it was a hanging offence
I've expereience that if you do not shoot a certain brand of gun, it was a hanging offence!

So based on all of these experiences I only shoot gander geese, feet down, within 5 yards with a 1916 production LC 28ga using depleted uranium shells hand-loaded by 21 year old naked women and have them retrieved by a 16 time field champion retriever that has been dyed Max4 camo with pink painted nails.

Time to go look up some confit recipes...

Ian & Zoe

shotgunjohn
11-11-2011, 04:43 PM
O.K. Lorne The one definite reason we don't groung swat is:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v290/TRV58/007-5.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
11-11-2011, 04:50 PM
Anybody own up to that one John?

We have a couple rattlers that make noise when you shake them. Above the water line though so they still float.

Ian F.
11-11-2011, 05:07 PM
Whomever it was, they can come sea duckin with me any day, cause if you aint willing to shoot the decoys, then you shouldn't be chasing sea ducks!

lorneparker1
11-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Hahahaha john! Too funny. I have a full body hen mallard that has 20 bb's in it. I took a brand new duckhunter out a few weeks ago and a hen landed in the dekes. I told him to shoot it. He thought the decoy was the bird and blew it right off the stake 5 yards. And I agree with ian about divers/seaducks. They buzz right through the dekes right on the water. If you hunt them you better be prepared to have some sinkers or use blocks of wood and cork.

Ian F.
11-11-2011, 05:39 PM
....or use blocks of wood and cork. Always love the look on peoples faces when I tell them to shoot the bird in my decoys! Most are in horror till I show them how to do it...

http://www.partridgecreek.ca/PartridgeCreek/Gunnin%20pics_files/pairwithdekes.jpg

heyblast
11-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I think I'm goin get hung one of these days going by that list. And I will confess I'm guilty of all crimes:icon_frow. As for decoys all my Canvasback and Bluebills rattle as do a lot of the others.

Foxton Gundogs
11-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Let see...

I've experienced that shooting a pa'tridge on the ground was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting a sitting duck (water, ground or otherwise) was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting any duck that wasn't a drake was a hanging offence
I've experienced that should you shoot anything but a perfectly decoying, feet down duck was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting anything other then a greenhead was a hanging offence
I've experienced that hunting without a dog was a hanging offence
I've experienced that shooting with anything less then a 3" 12ga was a hanging offence
I've experienced that if you DID NOT shoot a merganser and let it float it was a hanging offence
I've expereience that if you do not shoot a certain brand of gun, it was a hanging offence!

So based on all of these experiences I only shoot gander geese, feet down, within 5 yards with a 1916 production LC 28ga using depleted uranium shells hand-loaded by 21 year old naked women and have them retrieved by a 16 time field champion retriever that has been dyed Max4 camo with pink painted nails.

Time to go look up some confit recipes...

Ian & Zoe

SORRY IAN...HANGING OFFENCE if shes not from a 3rd world impoverished nation!!

sparkes3
11-11-2011, 08:16 PM
well if your sitting over decoys and a duck gets a chance to land in Them, your either day dreamin our you got a woman in the marsh and that my friend IS a hanging offence LOL.
NOW IM GONNA GET SWATTED

303Brit
11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
I've decided I'm going to try something different from now on, going to land them once they are settled, I will jump them up, and then I'll wait till they are 40 yds out and take a shot ;)

Ian F.
11-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I've decided I'm going to try something different from now on, going to land them once they are settled, I will jump them up, and then I'll wait till they are 40 yds out and take a shot ;)

303 That's coffee out of the nose funny!

shotgunjohn
11-12-2011, 05:45 PM
So it was a slow day in the duck blind this morning.

As always happens on slow days a drake mallard buzzed in and plopped down in the decoys when we weren't paying attention.
So being a slow day I figured I'd test Lorne's theory a little.

First I lined the bird up at 20 yards with lots of time to aim the gun.
This was a slam dunk so the duck really had no chance of me missing as they do when they are flying.(Some people might say they have every chance of me missing:)

I kind of felt this took some of the fair chase/ sport out of it.

Then because the bird was already on the water the dog didn't mark the down bird.
I had to line him up on it and he honestly turned and gave me one of those looks, like really, it's come to this.

So I didn't get to see my dog make a classic retrieve.

Then , because it was a slow morning, I didn't get much shooting and started to feel bad about sluicing the bird and not giving it a chance or giving myself a chance to make a good shot.

So were back to the fair chase/ sport part of things.

Then, to top it off, this duck didn't taste near as good as the one I made the nice overhead shot on last week.

Actually I made that part up as I haven't eaten this new bird yet, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to taste as good as the one I made the nice overhead shot on last week.

So ,in conclusion, I think I'll go back to my old method of spooking the birds out of my decoys (no I'm not responsible for that decoy in my last post) then missing them as they fly away.

Then when my dog gives me that scornfull look I can always make the excuse that my duck call lanyard got tangled in my gun action when I got up to spook the birds.

lorneparker1
11-12-2011, 06:01 PM
So it was a slow day in the duck blind this morning.

As always happens on slow days a drake mallard buzzed in and plopped down in the decoys when we weren't paying attention.
So being a slow day I figured I'd test Lorne's theory a little.

First I lined the bird up at 20 yards with lots of time to aim the gun.
This was a slam dunk so the duck really had no chance of me missing as they do when they are flying.(Some people might say they have every chance of me missing:)

I kind of felt this took some of the fair chase/ sport out of it.

Then because the bird was already on the water the dog didn't mark the down bird.
I had to line him up on it and he honestly turned and gave me one of those looks, like really, it's come to this.

So I didn't get to see my dog make a classic retrieve.

Then , because it was a slow morning, I didn't get much shooting and started to feel bad about sluicing the bird and not giving it a chance or giving myself a chance to make a good shot.

So were back to the fair chase/ sport part of things.

Then, to top it off, this duck didn't taste near as good as the one I made the nice overhead shot on last week.

Actually I made that part up as I haven't eaten this new bird yet, but I'm pretty sure it's not going to taste as good as the one I made the nice overhead shot on last week.

So ,in conclusion, I think I'll go back to my old method of spooking the birds out of my decoys (no I'm not responsible for that decoy in my last post) then missing them as they fly away.

Then when my dog gives me that scornfull look I can always make the excuse that my duck call lanyard got tangled in my gun action when I got up to spook the birds.

Hahahahah great post! thanks john that had me laughing pretty good.

ITs funny you bring up the "I think I'll go back to my old method of spooking the birds out of my decoys then shooting"

We were discussing that today, as it seemed like that seemed to be more acceptable then sluicing by the masses (and more so the anti-swatters). And we pondered how shooting a duck that has landed, kicking it up, then shooting it 2 feet as it jumps stright out of the water was more sporting. I dont see the difference. That is an easier shot IMO then a sluice. And a Sluice is damn easy.

Lorne.

field marshal
11-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Brit---- That will definately be a change from you missing them at 15 to 20 yards!!!!!! Cheers---Field Marshal

303Brit
11-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Brit---- That will definately be a change from you missing them at 15 to 20 yards!!!!!! Cheers---Field Marshal

Pfft anyone can shoot a bird at 15, much more sporting to let it think it got away and shoot it in the @ss
;)

Ian F.
11-13-2011, 01:47 PM
We had a conundrum this morning....mallards decoyed in and landed, in water, in a field...is that a ground sluice, a water swat, an arkansas, a water sluice, a ground swat???? we were so confused on what to do, we never shot them, head still hurts.....

303Brit
11-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Well if you had to pop up to get them I spose it would be an ambush, thus making it Dry Gulching ;)

field marshal
11-13-2011, 03:32 PM
Well if you had to pop up to get them I spose it would be an ambush, thus making it Dry Gulching ;)

303 Nope ,Dry gulching is phoning dad to bring a gun because you spotted a banded bird while trying to read numbers on swan collars!!
Maryland will not send band data on banded birds taken by Dry gulching or Ground sluicing or other neferious means!!
Cheers-----Field Marshal.

Crazy_Farmer
11-13-2011, 03:39 PM
Nope ,Dry gulching is phoning dad to bring a gun because you spotted a banded bird while trying to read numbers on swan collars!!
Maryland will not send band data on banded birds taken by Dry gulching or Ground sluicing or other neferious means!!
Cheers-----Field Marshal.

I emailed and asked the Feds, and they told me they'd still send the info :mrgreen:

Better watch out, its a slippery slope, pretty soon I'll be using wonder bread and other neferious ways hahahah I'll be looking like Mr T out there.

303Brit
11-13-2011, 05:14 PM
I emailed and asked the Feds, and they told me they'd still send the info :mrgreen:

Better watch out, its a slippery slope, pretty soon I'll be using wonder bread and other neferious ways hahahah I'll be looking like Mr T out there.
LOL Epic, or maybe The "F" in CF is for Foiles

shotgunjohn
11-13-2011, 06:31 PM
"kicking it up, then shooting it 2 feet as it jumps stright out of the water was more sporting. I dont see the difference. That is an easier shot IMO then a sluice. And a Sluice is damn easy."

I don't know Lorne? If this is an easy shot then why do so many of us miss it on a regular basis?
You introduce a whole set of variables.
Did the bird jump two feet or three?
Maybe he only jumped eighteen inches?
Then they kind of pause so you shoot over them.
Then they level off so the angle is changed.
Then as often as not they get the heck out of Dodge.

It always amazes me how fast a motivated mallard can get out of gun range.

lorneparker1
11-13-2011, 09:13 PM
I don't know Lorne? If this is an easy shot then why do so many of us miss it on a regular basis?
You introduce a whole set of variables.
Did the bird jump two feet or three?
Maybe he only jumped eighteen inches?
Then they kind of pause so you shoot over them.
Then they level off so the angle is changed.
Then as often as not they get the heck out of Dodge.

It always amazes me how fast a motivated mallard can get out of gun range.

dont have the answer to any of them because i shoot them on the ground usually!

fowlweather
11-13-2011, 09:25 PM
i dont really have an opinion, you just need to make sure that anyone that may be watching you doesn't get a wrong idea, i usually wait for them to just take off then peck them, but if i have a shot ill always take it

Ian F.
11-14-2011, 09:58 AM
Got to thinking about the physics of shotguns and how they apply to this....don't know why, just did....

1. the pattern out of our guns is an infinetly increasing cone, the closer you are the smaller it is. Restated, it's much easier to miss at 5 feet then 25!
2. almost all shotguns are regulated to shoot above the point of aim (built in compensation), most hunting guns are 60% above point of aim, some 70% hell trap guns can approach 100! So DON"T AIM HIGH! you'll miss. How many people know of a road chickens missed by this technique?
3. pattern your gun at various distances so you know!
4. if you can wait for the ducks back to be to you it is the most vulernable kill site and best chance of keeping the meat unaffected...

Add as you wish...

f350ps
11-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Wow, just got back from Deer huntin and this debate is still brewin. Maybe if Lorne started shootin Win. Expert he wouldn't have so many cripples to dispatch. Don't forget the "Blended for the Win" kills em dead every time! K

Duck Tales
11-23-2011, 05:42 PM
I like to choot 'em while airborne, for me it's game of pearl harbour. If they land you lose... maybe I'm just weird

longshot
11-23-2011, 06:59 PM
I dont think it matters to the duck how it got shot! Its more important not to sky bust than shooting them off the ground/water or jump shooting..... What's the damn point of decoys then??

Fixit
12-02-2011, 09:33 PM
Dry gulching? never heard that term so i googled it.. this is what came up. Never really thought of water swatting in this sort of way. You have quite the imagination you little hobbit!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dry%20gulching&defid=769888

im suprised no one has commented on this definition yet.... rotfl!