PDA

View Full Version : Glassing technique

killer_shot
11-10-2011, 09:07 AM
Im sure everyone has a different method of glassing for animals and i bet there is no write way. I know sometimes im scanning top to bottom or left to right real methodic. Then other im just looking around as i would with m eyes.

Do you have a patented technique for spotting critters when you face is glued to your binos ?

Philcott
11-10-2011, 09:29 AM
I look close in first without the bins, scan the tree line next and then work my way right to left drop down a bit and continue.

Just my way.

hunter1993ap
11-10-2011, 09:31 AM
i think you get good by practicing.

BernDawg
11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
When glassing slowly work from Right to Left, opposite of reading, it forces you to pay more attention to what you're looking at because we have conditioned ourselves to only scan left to right due to the way english text is read.

rocksteady
11-10-2011, 10:05 AM
When glassing slowly work from Right to Left, opposite of reading, it forces you to pay more attention to what you're looking at because we have conditioned ourselves to only scan left to right due to the way english text is read.

I was told that trick by a friend who was in the Canadian Armed Forces as a "sniper"....Right to left, bottom to top, total opposite of how you would read a book....

MRBucks
11-10-2011, 10:14 AM
I glass on areas in blocks. I hold the bino's in one position for a few minutes looking over one particular area very closely. I let my eyes wander around within that field of view. I then check the boundaries of my field of view, before moving over to the next area. This way I don't leave gaps where I may miss an animal. The trick is to stay focused on one area for a time, rather than sweeping the entire area. It is not uncommon for an animal to be standing still, or just behind a bush. Holding on one spot, allows time for an animal to move, and movement is the most effective way of spotting anything.
I have found this very effective. I have spotted game at well over a mile away, even with low power binos 7x35..Although in one long distance spotting, what I thought was a moose, turned out to be a absolutely huge grizzly bear when I got in closer..lol A spotting scope would have been handy for confirmation..:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
11-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Bins for hot spots, then the contours, then the tough spots, then the spotter comes out.

BromBones
11-10-2011, 10:30 AM
What GoatGuy said.

killer_shot
11-14-2011, 08:42 AM
I think some one should make a "wheres waldo" style book, for training hunters to spot hidden animals. Could be the next hot hunting christmas present

Ry151
11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Killer_shot;
that is a great idea sign me up!!

cainer
11-14-2011, 02:34 PM
I get to the highest point in a cut block and find a tree/stump to sit in front of. Then I find you can move around without skylining yourself. Then I decide which is the most likely place a deer will appear. Usually the corners of the cutblocks with the least amount of access to is where I start. I like to linger on one area for a while to allow my eyes to adjust to the darkness in the trees. That way i can look into the trees a little-where the deer are usually standing or moving. Most of the time I spot deer just standing on the fringe of cut blocks doing pretty much the same thing I'm doing-scanning the area-except they're looking for danger and I'm looking for them.

After the hot spots are glassed over i continue with the fringe areas, then into the center of the block. I also just use normal vision and put the binos up when movement or shapes catch my eye.

Now-moving through the forest is a whole different ball game.

Singleshotneeded
11-14-2011, 02:43 PM
You guys have it right, on first arriving at a cut you first eyeball the treeline from right to left, then closer to you in horizontal "strips".
If you don't spot anything with the quick naked eye look, you use your binos from right to left, starting at the tree line, and
working your way closer in strips, which I break down even more into square blocks. Lol, the concept is like putting graph paper
over the cut, starting right to left at the far end, then working your way closer. Newbies, most of the time you're not going to see
a full deer posing in the cut, so look for "branches" that are shaped strangely or a different colour, and then look closer. Are those antlers?

Gateholio
11-14-2011, 02:55 PM
I get a good rest with my rifle, so the scope is steady. Then I slowly look back and forth, and when I see a buck, my crosshairs are already on him so I can just yank the trigger!

;)

Singleshotneeded
11-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Newbies, our esteemed Gatehouse was kind enough to give you Option #2, which you only use after eyeballing
the cut and making sure there aren't other hunters in there, lol... :-)

BernDawg
11-14-2011, 03:57 PM
I was told that trick by a friend who was in the Canadian Armed Forces as a "sniper"....Right to left, bottom to top, total opposite of how you would read a book....

I was never a sniper but that's where I learned it.... ;-)

elksmasher
11-14-2011, 07:53 PM
You are looking for a horizontal line that doesn't fit, an eye ,white patch etc.Most stuff growing in nature doesn't grow horizontally.Tree lines,under trees ,scan ,scan ,scan.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
i don't know if this correct, but i scan the tree line left to right and continue down the hill side in the same manner. looking for movement, white, and anything that is slightly animal like, black stumps are need to be eliminated that are they not the BB's.

black stumps can look more like black bears than black bears .... lol

killer_shot
11-14-2011, 11:37 PM
i don't know if this correct, but i scan the tree line left to right and continue down the hill side in the same manner. looking for movement, white, and anything that is slightly animal like, black stumps are need to be eliminated that are they not the BB's.

black stumps can look more like black bears than black bears .... lol

I think i see black bears everywhere even when im not looking, then again i do see lots in my back yard these days. To bad my family was at my house on thanks giving cause i woulda filled my bear tag in my back yard if they wernt.