PDA

View Full Version : kamloops hunting

masoncade1992
11-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Im from revelstoke and recently went up to my old honey hole in kamloops (monte lake) and saw not one damn animal! and i hiked alot. anyways i havent even got a damn deer this year. my freezer is empty and i would like a direction to go. i will be happy with a dinker buck. was thinking tunkwa lake area but if there is another place that has moer deer please say.

coach
11-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Gotta be more than a few deer between Cherryville and Edgewood this time of year.

Brian011
11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Search all of jelvis' posts

MuleyMadness
11-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Well unless you are hunting WTs, only 4pts and bigger are going to be legal now...the good news however, is they aren't as tough to find at this time of year.

Near Tunkwa (if that's where you are going) some good spots are Helmer Lake area, Surrey/Sussex, and you might want to give the Paxton Valley a try by your old honey hole...it seems to hold a few deer. Personally I don't hunt on the Tunkwa side of the mountain...not to say there aren't deer there, because there are, but there are way more hunters on that side as well.

It's the right time to be out there...get out there and see what you find :)

finngun
11-09-2011, 07:33 PM
[QUOTE=Brian011;1014457]Search all of jelvis' posts .....jep jep and according by jello-bello there are tzillons [means lot] deer behind every tree,but they are very well camouflage so thats why not many hunters can see them.......wahh-wah

boxhitch
11-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Why drive so far ?
just a deer or two in Crazy Creek, Wap River, Three Valley Gap area

walks with deer
11-09-2011, 11:22 PM
no deer in kamloops stay in revelstoke better odds

masoncade1992
11-10-2011, 10:22 AM
I have hunted the wap area and its so thick. my father has taken an immy out of there before but i have seen barley any deer. in that area. how is crazy creek?

skibum
11-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Does anybody from Kamloops bother hunting Tunkwa or do the locals just leave it to the out-of-town-ers?

No problem with dudes from out of the region, but a bunch just seem to gravitate towards Tunkwa

masoncade1992
11-10-2011, 11:15 AM
i have never been to tunkwa. just wanted to try it out. monte lake has always been great to me..until... they clear cut it.

blacklab
11-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Does anybody from Kamloops bother hunting Tunkwa or do the locals just leave it to the out-of-town-ers?

No problem with dudes from out of the region, but a bunch just seem to gravitate towards Tunkwa

I live in Logan Lake and have pretty much quit hunting north of town. I've been here 7 years and have never seen the number of camps and the traffic like this year.
I'll be spending the rest of the season hunting regions 4 and 8.

4 point
11-10-2011, 02:26 PM
I region 3 like in lots of other regions there are spots that get heavy hunting traffic/camps etc. I have found if you get away from those areas by finding other areas that hold game you can hunt those, not be bothered by so many others, up your chances of being successful and have a better hunting experience. A lot of folks follow others as I guess they think it must be hot there because eveyone goes there. Game is spread out all over the region. Yes some areas appear better than others so don't limit where you look.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-10-2011, 03:10 PM
I have not hunted everywhere in the province, but of all the places I have hunted I would say that Kamloops is the best in terms of having equal opportunity for mule deer in every direction from the city. There is no quadrant outside the city that is way better than another. I'd say you have to pick an area and learn it well. Pick the area closest to you as you'll be able to get there more, or at least spend more time hunting and less driving.

As for them clearcutting around Monte, they're cutting everywhere. Clearcuts hold lots of animals, especially as they green up. Rather than giving up on an area because it has changed (that will be a recipe for you giving up on every hunting spot you ever find) put in your time to learn what the animals habits are now that their habitat is changed. Adaptability is what will make you a veteran and successful hunter, not packing your bags as soon as things aren't what they were the last time you were in a spot. Hunting holes do change - occasionally to the point where you might be best to throw in the towel, but it does not happen overnight. The area around Monte still good deer country.

With the Reg 3 mule deer season being 4 point only, ya gotta wonder if the best way to get some meat in the freezer isn't to grab any old whitie in a nearby area of good density (Cherryville, Edgewood, Whatshan, Arrow Park, Lumby). They'll proably taste a lot better too!

coach
11-10-2011, 03:15 PM
Excellent advice, Looking_4_Jerky!, both in regard to Monte Lake area as well as the whitetail areas. Best idea is to pick a spot and hunt it hard. Too much time behind the wheel takes away from hunting time.

sdurango41
11-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Hunted Tunkwa last weekend. Also hunted the Monte Lake area for a short bit and saw nothing. We did see some doe tracks and a few buck tracks in the fresh snow. One monster buck slipped behind us. His tracks were massive. Comparable to a small mosse. Damn is all I can say!!We then hunted more North of Tunkwa and saw tons of animals. Probably 60 animals in two days. Saw lots of young bucksbut mostly does. But as we all know it is 4 points or better. Most of the younger bucks were sparring and close to getting into the rut. We did see one big 4 point or better at 10 yards. No time to get a shot off. I think both the deer and I filled our drawers at that encounter. He was just about at the crest of the hill behind a small pine tree and I had just crept up to the crest.
I think the big boys will be starting to get a little careless in the next week or so. Didn't hunt whitetails much as we were North of their area. They will be rutting slightly later than the mulies.