PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail down - cherry popped!

beanshooter
11-09-2011, 05:05 PM
I don't post too often on here, but have learned a lot from the site in the last few years. I moved to this beautiful province 3 years ago and took up hunting soon after as a way to harvest some quality meat and explore the surrounding mountains. After 2 unsuccessful frustrating years, I decided this one was it and I would put in the time necessary to up my odds.

I've been hunting with a few different other new hunters this year, but decided to head out alone on Sunday. I was a little late to the show and didn't get hiking until close to 8am. I hiked a couple hours up the trail, still hunting in the good ares when it opened up. I saw the back half of a good sized deer but couldn't get sight of it's head before it disappeared. After another hour or so I decided to follow a game trail off of the main trail and was pleased when I passed some good sign.

It was only about 5 minutes after leaving the main trail when I spooked a deer about 25 - 30 yards away right near the top of a little hill. He bounded off and down the hill about another 30 yards away. He was partially hidden behind some trees but once I pulled out the binos I caught a glimpse of some bone up top, GAME ON! He slowly started making his way up the hill almost perfectly broadside as I raised my rifle. I was down on both knees and the cross hairs were all over the place! I shifted a leg up so I could rest my elbow on a knee and he immediately stopped and looked right at me. Now with a stable rest, I placed the cross hairs behind the front leg and pulled the trigger before he could bolt.

As soon as the shot rang out he bounded off away from me and up the hill. A couple seconds later a brief silence, then a bunch of loud crashing as he tumbled down the hill. I couldn't see him at first through the trees, but heard the heavy wheezing of his final breaths. A few seconds later there was silence and I was able to see his head through the trees with the binos, eye wide open, not blinking.
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee183/grahamrc/buckdown.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee183/grahamrc/buck2.jpg

I proceeded to take a long pull from the red stag that had been riding in my pack all season for just such an occasion and made my way down the hill. I was pretty excited to say the least and somewhat overwhelmed with the job ahead of me. I snapped a few pics with the phone, got out the knife and got to work. Now I must say, watching youtube videos is good, but it would have been nice to have an experienced hunter with me for the first time. Either way, it all worked out and 4 hours later I had a loaded pack and not much time to make it down before dark. It was all I could do to get the pack on and stand up, and after stumbling about 100 yards I bailed trying to cross a log. There was no way this was going to work so I stashed the 2 hindquarters under a log and put the head up on a stump. I was a little choked having to leave the head but at this point I was too exhausted to care. I packed out the rest of it and made it to the bottom of the trail just about the time I would have had to dig out the headlamp. The next day I came back for the rest of it with a buddy and snapped another couple shots.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee183/grahamrc/photo1.jpg

A couple words of advice to fellow new hunters out there:

A good sized deer is too big to pack out by yourself, unless you're built like an ox. If I had boned out the legs it would have saved some weight, but probably not enough to avoid blowing out my knee on the way down. cell service would have helped to call a buddy.
bring a knife sharpener! I would have been hooped if I didn't have one!
Just get out and spend some time in the bush. don't waste time in areas without sign just because it seems like a good zone. Find the sign and move slow.
There's quite a lot of meat on a decent sized deer, make sure you have freezer space.

Fortunately I have plenty of room in the freezer, once this one is cut and wrapped I'll see if I have enough room to go after another.

I'd like to thank Marc and all the HBC members contributing useful information to this site, it really is a wealth of knowledge about BC and hunting in general. I'd also like to thank numerous PWA members for all the local knowledge, encouragement, and pointing me in the right direction.

Officially hooked!

David Heitsman
11-09-2011, 05:14 PM
Well done bean shooter! That is still one deer that has evaded my quest. The pics are great.

new hunter
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Wow ! nice deer , looks like a monster compared to mine .
x2 on deer being a bitch to haul out on your one . I think next year I might make more effort to find a hunting partner .

bruin
11-09-2011, 05:21 PM
Oh my God! That is an awesome blacktail! Major congrats. Sounds like you're already an old pro, came together like was in a textbook.

gerrygoat
11-09-2011, 05:26 PM
That's a real nice buck congrats on your first. I'm sure you learned a lot from this experience that will help you in the future.

Taurusguy
11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Congrats! ... I hope to land one this weekend. What area did you get that from? Looks like chilliwack river valley area.. or possibly Skagit? Either way .. good job!

Philcott
11-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Keeping at it gets the deer. Good Job.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-09-2011, 05:45 PM
very excellent beanshooter, well done!

Steeleco
11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
Was it worth the wait?? Took me more than 3 years to get my first BT but it sure was worth it. Well done, rest the knee for next year!!!

spear
11-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Thats a cranker BT, well done. What are are you hunting in, mainland?
Good on you for getting out on foot and finding the big ones!

beanshooter
11-09-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the kind responses guys!
I definitely did learn a lot from the experience!
This buck was taken in 2-11.
Just to clarify, my knee is fine, I guess I worded that poorly. I was trying to say that if I had carried the whole thing out in one trip, even completely boned out, I likely would have hurt myself on the hike down.

porcupine
11-09-2011, 06:31 PM
A really great first buck! Congratualtions on a job well done!

Pioneerman
11-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Beauty of a deer and story , way to go and congrats !!

rocksteady
11-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Congrats, that is a beauty of a blacktail....Pretty good for your first ever...

I like the "lessons learned" comments.....Every time I go hunting I learn a lesson, some are just bigger than others...

Shooter
11-09-2011, 06:46 PM
AWESOME BT. nomatter hao many you have taken. Congrats. Are you planning a mount? At the very least I would get a euro done seeing as it is your first.

BUCKJR
11-09-2011, 06:54 PM
NICE WORK! Great looking BT, you have now idea what you have just created for yourself, its sooooo addicting!

fearnodeer
11-09-2011, 07:07 PM
Great story, and a nice deer, what a prise for your first. Congrads

trapperRick
11-09-2011, 07:10 PM
Good Job well done

BuckEye
11-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Pictures are great, but having the story to go along with it is what most of us love. Thanks for taking the time to share, and what a nice buck. You won't forget this one..

lovemywinchester
11-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Great job! I got my first blacktail in 2-11 last year. I know exactly how you feel! Wish I could get back there and go for a hike before the season ends. Nothing more exciting than hiking for all those hours and finally bumping into a buck. Here is mine from last year. I still might make it before Dec .1 so leave one for me!

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l573/zippogold/blacktailshot.jpg

lorneparker1
11-09-2011, 08:20 PM
way to go man! that is a bruiser.!! I can only imagine how good that felt! if i could add to your advice, try not to leave the hind quarters if you are going to leave anything. your best cuts are there other then the tendies and back straps!

Spy
11-09-2011, 08:29 PM
Good size dear well done nice Buck!

rifleman
11-09-2011, 08:32 PM
holy Frick man .. thats huge, so big it looks like a mulie. congrats on a real bruiser of a blacktail..!!!!

~T-BONE~
11-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Thay there dude is a stud!! Many congrats... Welcome to the addiction

Wood butcher
11-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Great blacktail!! Congrats on the first, it's a beauty.

proguide66
11-10-2011, 03:06 AM
Thats an OLD and cool buck !

BimmerBob
11-10-2011, 08:18 AM
Nice blacktail, congrats on your first, he is a dandy way to stick with it!

Tanya
11-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Super buck, congratulations on a job well done!

proguide66
11-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Next time try this as theres no shortage pf predators lookin to clean up some fresh kill this time of year....
http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC02259.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/DSC02261.jpg

There isnt a deer out there you wont be able to pack out alone in one go if you do it this way!

bigwhiteys
11-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Awesome Blacktail Buck! Congrats!

Carl

beanshooter
11-10-2011, 11:24 AM
AWESOME BT. nomatter hao many you have taken. Congrats. Are you planning a mount? At the very least I would get a euro done seeing as it is your first.

Unfortunately no room in the budget at the moment for a mount. I thought about a euro, but I really like the look of the plain antlers on a nice plaque.

beanshooter
11-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Great job! I got my first blacktail in 2-11 last year. I know exactly how you feel! Wish I could get back there and go for a hike before the season ends. Nothing more exciting than hiking for all those hours and finally bumping into a buck. Here is mine from last year. I still might make it before Dec .1 so leave one for me!
Congrats on the first, feels great! No worries, as long as you're willing to hike they're around!

beanshooter
11-10-2011, 11:28 AM
way to go man! that is a bruiser.!! I can only imagine how good that felt! if i could add to your advice, try not to leave the hind quarters if you are going to leave anything. your best cuts are there other then the tendies and back straps!

Great advice, another lesson learned. The hindquarters were strapped to the outside of my pack and I was so tired and eager to get down I didn't think twice about it.

beanshooter
11-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Next time try this as theres no shortage pf predators lookin to clean up some fresh kill this time of year....

There isnt a deer out there you wont be able to pack out alone in one go if you do it this way!

Interesting, is that completely boneless?
I think I'll be hitting the gym and shopping for a better pack before next season!

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Great buck, Graham! Congrats! That is one heck of a way to pop your blacktail cherry! :)

greenhorn
11-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I think I'll be hitting the gym and shopping for a better pack before next season!

Really nice blacktail!!

Hopefully you get a chance to try and bone a deer out for the future. It's really easy and makes things alot easier. Aside from saving some weight by removing bone, you'll also have an easier time fitting all the meat in your pack.

Congrats!

Salty
11-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Congradulations beanshooter. Hooked? Oh ya, I can see it in your grin :-D

Check out our hunting gear forum and you'll find a lot of threads about packs. There's some beauty light and strong framed packs out there that will make worlds of difference. The best are $pendy, but you can get good packs without spending an arm and a leg. Deboning as said also a huge help.

Sometimes too just gutting and dragging the whole thing by the horns is easier than one might think especislly down hill and especially if there's snow. I've dragged a couple quite a ways by myself to somewhere that I could get the truck or at least to a rope tied the truck. lol.

d6dan
11-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Nice,heavy BT!. Now your addicted to killing BT's. Congrats..

remington666
11-10-2011, 12:54 PM
nice work thats quite the rack very impressive

moose2
11-10-2011, 01:13 PM
great looking buck its a good first congratulations.
Mike

proguide66
11-10-2011, 05:36 PM

I leave the leg bones in , the knee joints are perfect to tie onto the top of my bare frame pack.I have a small dry bag bungied onto it with food/knives /camera ect. Beats the shit outta a rotton blood smelling pack pack....garbage bags work but the can tear to!
Left at the carcass is ribs , neck.. and a shitload of dead weight in hide and spinal column!

Blacktail 270
11-10-2011, 08:20 PM
Sweeeeeet Buck. Looks like you might have the blacktail bug now. Congrates on a great first buck.

bhartenb
11-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Nice buck, great story.