PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Hunting

flyhigh_206
11-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey everyone i got a question and figured where better then here to ask it :mrgreen:. Me and a couple of hunting buddies are wanting to go after a cat or two when they open up but we have a "slight" problem lol we dont want to pay for a guide and we dont know anyone with dogs. Thanks for the help and if it helps were in Oliver

lorneparker1
11-08-2011, 04:44 PM
well im sure houndsman will be all over this offering you there services.

Good luck,

Lorne

rocksteady
11-08-2011, 04:46 PM
You sir are S.O.L....

If you find someone with dogs (not a "friend") who you PAY for their services, that is illegal guiding....

If you find someone, who is an "associate" and split costs for fuel etc (no cash payout after a hunt), you are not supporting illegal guiding, however that is a very fine line....It would be up to the CO or the courts to decide if you were breaking the law....

Off topic..Is the picture in your avatar from the band office ball field during the Terrace Mtn. Fire of 2009?????

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
11-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Theres been a lot of discussion on this subject . Good luck tho .

CanuckShooter
11-08-2011, 04:51 PM
You sir are S.O.L....

If you find someone with dogs (not a "friend") who you PAY for their services, that is illegal guiding....

If you find someone, who is an "associate" and split costs for fuel etc (no cash payout after a hunt), you are not supporting illegal guiding, however that is a very fine line....It would be up to the CO or the courts to decide if you were breaking the law....

What a crock...most hunters buddy up to share costs, some supply specialized equipment etc...and I've never heard of anybody being accused of 'illegal guiding'....take your poodle out if you cannot find hounds cougars love 'em.

MountainHigh
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
There are guys on here who WILL take you out. Just keep posting how bad you want it and eventually someone with hounds will help. It has worked for others here many times!

Mr. Dean
11-08-2011, 05:52 PM
One of our members went out with a digi call, with intentions of hunting coug's, and bagged an old Tom last year.

Let us know how it goes.

ROEBUCK
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
One of our members went out with a digi call, with intentions of hunting coug's, and bagged an old Tom last year.

Let us know how it goes.

great !
wheres the story ?is there a thread ?
I here of it being quite common in the usa to call em in !

scottwh
11-08-2011, 07:12 PM
You sir are S.O.L....

Off topic..Is the picture in your avatar from the band office ball field during the Terrace Mtn. Fire of 2009?????

Dosent hurt to make a trade... You can hunt them without dogs too. I know a guy that seen fresh tracks in the snow and just followed them a short while and the curious cat was treed. He has shot 2 this way.

Barracuda
11-08-2011, 07:40 PM
if a guy has a genuine interest in hounding then find a local guy that hunts with them and ask but it will be a while of following and seeing what its all about before you ever pull a trigger .
If you just wanna plug a cat then go hire a guide.

seanps
11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Get one of your buddies to act as bait.

Then wait. Something's bound to come along.

GoatGuy
11-08-2011, 08:18 PM
What a crock...most hunters buddy up to share costs, some supply specialized equipment etc...and I've never heard of anybody being accused of 'illegal guiding'...

Happens in the south here quite often. Usually the same people always making the claims of illegal resident guiding - usually doesn't go any farther than the CO. Couple of houndsmen that won't take people out anymore b/c they've gotten grief in the past.

Now you've 'heard'.

dana
11-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Plenty of Free Hounds listed in the Interior Buy and Sell throughout the year. Pick one up, give it a good home and treat it well and maybe it might reward ya with a cat up a tree one day.

flyhigh_206
11-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Those are all great ideas, advice and pointers including the whole illegal guiding thing never thought about that point and my avatar pic is one I took at the elementary school in westbank during the fire

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 05:49 PM
great !
wheres the story ?is there a thread ?
I here of it being quite common in the usa to call em in !

All I know is that I read it..... I wanna say it was Gatehouse's thread but really, that's just commin' from 'the gut'. :confused:

Barracuda
11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
i actually know of a couple of valleys wiith some very large couger tracks but getting the dogs in there would be a problem . be ripe for calling

rocksteady
11-09-2011, 06:40 PM
my avatar pic is one I took at the elementary school in westbank during the fire

I got to fly in the EC parked in front of your jetbox, when I was on that fire for a couple weeks with the California Team.They were pretty uptight, compared to what I am used to working with....

ROEBUCK
11-09-2011, 06:48 PM
All I know is that I read it..... I wanna say it was Gatehouse's thread but really, that's just commin' from 'the gut'. :confused:

Thanks Mr Dean

READ A BOOK BY A GUY ACROSS THE BORDER WHO HAS CALLED IN A FEW.
I cant see why they would be any differant from calling in a bob or a lynx, apart from there much greater home range
call on fresh tracks and I wreckon you would have a chance !
gona try this winter ! :mrgreen:

SHAKER
11-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Happens in the south here quite often. Usually the same people always making the claims of illegal resident guiding - usually doesn't go any farther than the CO. Couple of houndsmen that won't take people out anymore b/c they've gotten grief in the past.

Now you've 'heard'.

I'll second that! I've been inquired on twice...... guess they figure I can't hunt with my friends from the coast or my dad!

flyhigh_206
11-12-2011, 07:27 PM
thanks aain for the help guys i just got couple more quick questions, what kind of calls should i be looking for and also what type of area to set up in (setup where there are fresh tracks or find a "suitable" area) thanks again

chilcotin hillbilly
11-12-2011, 08:41 PM
Find fresh tracks, not much point calling where there are no cats. Remember if you kill a wet female your committing and offence.