PDA

View Full Version : My home built gravity feeder for deer

rocksteady
11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Since it has come up in several posts, I thought I would post my design...Cheap, easy to build, easy to pack, easy to set up and has been effective for me...

Start with about a 4 foot section of 4" ABS or PVC plastic pipe...Neck it down to a 3", put on 2 successive 3" 90 degree elbows and notch the last one out with a sabre saw. (as per pictures)....

I drill a couple holes through it, near the top and bottom and run parachute cord through.

I assemble the whole thing dry fit with self tapping machine screws. I doubt the ungulates would like the smell of ABS glue...

I then lash it to a tree, with the spout at about crotch height, which I figure is about the height of a deers mouth.....

Fill it with grain/barley/oats/sweet feed, whatever. It will hold close to 25 lbs of feed.

I then set up my trail cam about 20 yards away, so that I can get pictures of whatever is feeding on it...as well as get an idea of their direction of travel..

Here is a link to multiple pictures of the feeder, as well as one of it being used...

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/Feeder/

I have only used it in teh early season, soI have no issues with rain or snow making the feed ball up, however a simple cap or flap on the top would prevent moisture from entering.....Plus I also lash it to a large Douglas Fir with a fulll canopy of branches that acts as a moisture interceptor....

I prefer to do this sort of a bait site, as compared to just dumping the feed on the ground, as it limits the amount that a deer can get at one time. A full bag of feed, just dumped on the ground would get gobbled up very quickly if more than one deer came in....This way here, it keeps the deer at the feeder one at a time, hopefully increasing the chances of getting a shot, if you are sitting in a tree stand...

There you go...hope it works for you, if you wish to build and install...

Once I install it I also scatter about 10 lbs of feed around the feeder so that the deer get a taste of the feed without having to put their faces into the feeder on the first go...

4pointer91
11-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Great idea, thanks for the post!

Rodd
11-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Awesome idea! I'm going to have to try that. Thanks for sharing... keeping the bait dry, avoids un-neccessary wastage.

rocksteady
11-08-2011, 12:33 PM
So where do you put it up??????

I choose places that are travel corridors...Trails and travel routes between feeding areas and bedding areas...

There is no use putting it in the middle of nowhere without doing some scouting....That would be like hanging a tree stand willy-nilly...

I cover the ground, find sign (poop, tracks) or see the deer... Then try to figure where they are eating (fields, etc), where they are watering and where they go just to get away from it all for a good snooze (bedding areas)

Google Earth is great for that, as you can see big picture before you even go to the bush...

Once you have a tentative planned location, go out and put it up...Maybe with a trail cam and/or your tree stand....

Once I have mine up, I leave it alone for a week or so...Let the human stink go away and let the critters get used to it...

I will check it once in a while after that, refilling the bait, as needed, depending on how much they are eating....

I pack my feed in one of those 2 1/2 gallon wide mouthed OceonSpray juice jugs with the built in handle....Makes it easy to pour the feed in the top, plus with the handle its easy to pack in your hand, no need for the backpack...

Once it is set up, being visited by critters, and some intel from my trail cam as to when and which direction the critters are coming in from I make the decision where I am going to sit (I don't do tree stands :) ) and keeping wind in mind, sneak in under a cover of darkness ( or go in the afternoon if the critters are feeding in the evening)....Then I sit at the base of a large tree, usually 100 to 150 yards away from it, as long as I have the visibility to see animals coming and going from it...I do not need to see the actual feeder when hunting, just where it is for animal movements...

wsm
11-08-2011, 12:57 PM
thanks for all your help:)

CatsPreb
11-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I like the feeder and have nothing against them... But Its a good way to start and or spread TB.. and I'd rather be able to hunt and harvest a healthy animal..

stitch
11-08-2011, 05:32 PM
There is a guy in victoria who makes these and sells then on used victoria for $80.....

mark
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I like the feeder and have nothing against them... But Its a good way to start and or spread TB.. and I'd rather be able to hunt and harvest a healthy animal..

TB ????? Explain??

hopsing
11-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Great idea Rocksteady! Make sure you service it regularly and spread some of the feeds on the ground.

Another thing I use to do is bring an extra shirt I have worn and place it close by. I bring a fresh worn shirt and exchange it for the old ones from last time. Move it on different place. This will familiarize the deer to your smell.

Good luck! It is a fun way hunting and getting out there.

Shade Tree
11-08-2011, 09:49 PM
I have heard of this before. What kind of reaction do you get from the mature bucks?

BromBones
11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Pretty crafty setup there young feller. :)

Might have to try that.

aggiehunter
11-08-2011, 10:37 PM
The transmission of disease increases when nose to nose contact is made such as in a feed trough...not far off with this device...keep 'em wild boys.

.300wsm
11-08-2011, 10:43 PM
is this hunting bc or deer farming sask or usa ?

CatsPreb
11-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Tuberculosis, is transferred mostly by Mucus / Saliva ex. sharing water holes, salt licks, feeders etc. it is a very serious disease. Recently our Neighbor had his whole herd of cattle slaughtered (about 500 head) because a cow he had sold ended up at a slaughter house and it tested pos. for TB which then made the gov of Canada put Quarrintines on all the farmers who either shared fences or bought cattle, shared range with this herd. Everyones cows have to be tested for the next 2 years. And it's a pain in the arse.

CatsPreb
11-08-2011, 10:54 PM
is this hunting bc or deer farming sask or usa ?

I'd would like to have something left to hunt.. rather than everything shot by gov because of out breaks.

rocksteady
11-14-2011, 01:23 PM
STop the presses...I have now found the ultimate deer feeder...I GOTTA find me one of these :)

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c372/rocksteadyrifle/Feeder/deerfeeder.jpg