PDA

View Full Version : Elk Success!

RiverOtter
09-22-2006, 09:39 PM
Sept 16,
Packed up the truck and trailer and headed into 8-14 for an elk. Set up camp and had a short evening hunt and heard one distant bugle.

Sept 17,
Up at 4:30, had some hot porrage. Hiked into a valley and met up with two bulls on the trail. The front one was a 3-4 point and the one behind was a 5-6, but due to the lack of light I couldn't tell for sure. I cow chirped a bit in hopes of keeping them around until I could see better, but they moved off the trail and walked into the bush. I backed off a bit and waited for more light, but never seen the bulls again.

I went into the same valley for the evening hunt, but never seen or heard any elk.

Sept 18
Up at 4:30 and hunted a plateau above the valley where I seen the two bulls the day before. No activity until late in the morning when I spotted 4 cows on a bluff across the valley from where I was.

In the evening I hiked up to where I spotted the cows in the morning and heard two bugles, but the bulls would not respond to my calls.

Sept 19
Morning and evening were fairly uneventful, but I managed to find some new ground for the following day.

Sept 20
Up at 4:30 and hiked into a new area. My bugles went unanswered, but I managed to scare 6 whitetails out of a meadow.:lol: I hunted late that morning as the weather was changing and rain was on the way. I had a nap on the hillside and then made my way off the mountain and back to camp for some much needed nourishment. Around 11:30, I jumped on my quad and headed further down the valley to look for more area to hunt. I pulled into a little forestry campsite for a pit stop and to get out of the rain which had started to fall. I had no sooner shut off the bike when I heard a bugle half way up the mountain, followed by a reply from another bull. I joined in to see if I could get a bull to come down the hill, but they were holding tight. I grabbed my pack and headed up after them, bugling back replies as I went. Within 1/2 an hour, I was close enough to hear cows chirping and the bulls were getting real worked up. I chimed in with the cows and pretty soon I could hear a sattelite bull coming in from below me. He turned and ran off as soon as he winded me, but I didn't have much choice but to push on after the herd bull and hope for the best. The herd bull bugled from about 80 yards up from me and I made a move for a bit of an opening, hoping that the cows were above him. It payed off and I caught movement in the brush ahead, it was the big bull working a balsam over. I grabbed cover behind a tree and peared around the side and gave a few cow chirps. He seemed to ignore my chirps and continued with the tree for over 2 minutes. Then he turned and started to head across the hillside away from me, but I had no clear shot so I held fire and gave a couple more cow chirps. Finally I gave one last bugle and all hell broke loose as he stormed into plain view and right at the tree I was behind. I made a quick point count to make sure he was legal and then waited for him to lift his head and expose his chest. At twelve yards he slowed a bit and raised his head and I squeezed off a shot into his right shoulder. He went down hard and expired within a few seconds. I walked up and admired him for a few minutes and thought about all the time and effort spent leading up to this moment. Then the work began with gutting and quartering.

For those interested, I was shooting a Remington XCR in .338 Ultra. I used 225 grain Hornady Inter-Bonds on top of 91.5 grains of RL 22. I have no way to post pics, as my computer is too slow for my camera's software:mad: (Sorry) I'll get around to green scoring it this weekend, but a close guess would be in the 310-325 range.

RO

Brambles
09-22-2006, 09:47 PM
Sounds like you had a great time, good job getting close to a herd bull and pissing him off.

bochunk2000
09-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Good job River Otter. It must have been amazing being that close to such a huge and powerful animal.

JMac
09-22-2006, 09:50 PM
Hey nice work. Sounds like a real good hunt. It's nice when your hard work/effort is rewarded!

Will
09-22-2006, 09:58 PM
...At twelve yards he slowed a bit and raised his head and I squeezed off a shot into his right shoulder...
....338 Ultra. I used 225 grain Hornady Inter-Bonds on top of 91.5 grains of RL 22.
Dammed good thing you had the "Close quarters rifle" with you........:lol:

Awesome Job, Great story too, Thanks for sharing 8-)

~T-BONE~
09-22-2006, 09:59 PM
Sounds like you had a great time!! Must have been a real rush havin him come in like that:shock: ?? Hope someone can help u with some pics.?? Where you up Boundry or did you travel a bit more north to Renndall?

Jagermeister
09-22-2006, 10:17 PM
That's a very entertaining account of your successful hunt. A interesting read! Congratulations!

Jelvis
09-22-2006, 10:25 PM
How long to drag and pack and get it to the vehicle? You did good are you going to apply for that area again? River, or another leh Jel 9226 >> Congrats on your successful hunt.

Walksalot
09-23-2006, 06:37 AM
Sounds like you have a good hunt, well done.

rocksteady
09-23-2006, 07:00 AM
Good job, nothing like filling the freezer with an elk..Takes a lot of pressure off trying to get a muley or whitey....Now you can hold off for a wall hanger.....Need some pics though....There has to be a way.....

Elkhound
09-23-2006, 10:41 AM
Very nice......would love to see pics though.

steepNdeep
09-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Right on - nice work to get the herd bull! Had you ever scouted the area before? Is that LEH there? Let's see some pics...

PGKris
09-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Cool story. Good job.

RiverOtter
09-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I hesitated before posting my story as I didn't want to come off as bragging, but I know how much I enjoy others hunt stories, so I figured I would contribute something as well.

To answer a couple of the questions,

1) Region 8-14 is an open area for 6 point and bigger. No LEH required.
2) I have hunted in the area before, and harvested a 6x6 in 2003 about 10 km's away.
3) As for location, 8-14 is about as specific as I will get. I will say that the area I hunted in is a very low pressure area and the only other hunter I ran into all week was after deer and didn't realize elk were even open in 8-14.
4) Timeline: The elk went down just before 1PM. Gutting, Skinning and Quartering took me until about 3:30. I got the last load and cape out to the road at dark which was about 7:30. I found an over grown road on my way up after the bull and slashed a trail to tie into it. I then used my quad to cover some of the distance, which made life much easier.
5)PICTURES!!!!! They are in the works tommorrow. I have found a donar computer and will attemp to e-mail them to a poster here who kindly offered to post them for me.

RO

RiverOtter
09-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Heres my first attempt at posting pics from Photo Bucket.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/RiverOtter_2006/Elk%202006/Img_0431.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/RiverOtter_2006/Elk%202006/Img_0429.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l168/RiverOtter_2006/Elk%202006/Img_0428-2.jpg

Couldn't get them to post in the thread, said the pics had been moved or deleted. They are neither moved or deleted, so I don't know what I did wrong.

p.s. I threw the rain gear on after I made the kill, that's not what I looked like going up the mountain. LOL.

RO

Ozone
09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
Nice elk. I like your choice of camo:cool:

GoatGuy
09-24-2006, 03:30 PM
Congrats, nice job! Put in the time and it paid off.

Definitely not an area where there's a bunch of successfull hunters.

RiverOtter
09-24-2006, 03:33 PM
Nice elk. I like your choice of camo:cool:

You like it, I know where you can get some. LOL.:smile:

I had to dig it out of my pack to help warm up, so I could set up the camera and safely use a knife. I look like the forest underneath.:biggrin:

RO

Elkhound
09-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Sorry RiverOtter, was away from the computer till this morning. Looks like you didn't need my help anyway....lol
but here they are for you a little bigger
Beautiful elk by the way

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/IMG_0429.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/dwelkhound/IMG_0428.jpg