PDA

View Full Version : Deer Heart

sapper
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
So should I shoot a deer this season (didn't manage last year and have been skunked so far this year too) what might I do with the deer's heart? I've had people that I've hunted with keep the heart to give to some friend of theirs. I've been eating a lot more primally for the last two months and am pretty sure the heart must be good for something. For those of you who do eat the heart what do you do with it? How do you prepare it?

frenchbar
11-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Best part of the deer imo ..i slice it into rings ..coat with flour and spices and fry it up have it with bacon and spuds ..good stuff ! usualy have some liver with it done the same way .

coach
11-07-2011, 06:01 PM
What Frenchie said! It's delicious. Now go get yourself a deer.

Trapper D
11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
first let sit overnight in salty water, then you can slice it going around it lenght ways , cutting thickness of 1/2 inch till you cut to center. you will end up with about a foot long strip 1/2 inch thick , flour salt and pepper it. while you were doing that half cook 4 strips of bacon ,take them out put heart in brown both sides , minute each or so. take heart out. then place 2 strips bacon on heart and roll them inside heart. place other 2 on top, tie string around heart with bacon , throw in oven and bake 45 minutes 350 . when cooked slice like roast .. very good way to cook deer heart

frenchbar
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
or you can slice it going around it lenght ways , cutting thickness of 1/2 inch till you cut to center. You will end up with about a foot long strip 1/2 inch thick , flour salt and pepper it. While you were doing that half cook 4 strips of bacon ,take them out put heart in brown both sides , minute each or so. Take heart out. Then place 2 strips bacon on heart and roll them inside heart. Place other 2 on top, tie string around heart with bacon , throw in oven and bake 45 minutes 350 . When cooked slice like roast .. Very good way to cook deer heart

yup ! My mom cooked it up that way as well when i was a youngster...im getting hungry lol

sparky300winmag
11-07-2011, 06:19 PM
we just slice it up fry it with mushrooms ,onions and some gravy mix .. awsome.

frenchbar
11-07-2011, 06:30 PM
ya ..dont forget the onions with it !

hotshot
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
cut it up, boil it and then train your dog with it

jtred
11-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Our family recipe is to clean it out really good and kind of open it up on the inside. Make a stuffing similar to your normal turkey/chicken stuffing and fill the heart as full as you can. Roast in oven with some water and broth (potatoes , carrots, and onions),etc. Can be eaten hot or cold. Sliced heart sandwiches can't be beat.

rocksteady
11-07-2011, 06:39 PM

X2 on this one....I will bring the heart home for a treat for my dogs and cats...I will not fight them for it :)

Barracuda
11-07-2011, 06:42 PM
heart is great but just dont spoil it with onions:-D

dabat
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Stewed with some spuds, carrots, onions but don't forget the liver and kidneys

Ubertuber
11-07-2011, 06:45 PM

That's waste of good food IMO.

Cube it and make a stew or do as others said and fry it with onions and mushrooms. Give it a try, it's very tender and full of flavour.

green machine
11-07-2011, 06:45 PM
cook it like you would any other fine cut of meat. i bbq mine my son and daughter eat. my wife can't look at us after.

~T-BONE~
11-07-2011, 06:50 PM
throw it on with your trimmings for burger or sausage

Doe
11-07-2011, 06:59 PM

agreed!!! I am picky with it, clean it well and cut up similar to stir fry, splash it with soy sauce
and fresh ground pepper, flash fry in a hot pan with a spot of oil....gone in seconds around our house!
Its always a sad day when someone blows one out with a bad shot.....lol

hotshot
11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
That's waste of good food IMO.

Cube it and make a stew or do as others said and fry it with onions and mushrooms. Give it a try, it's very tender and full of flavour.

Why? My dog's gotta eat and if I can feed him and train him with a treat he goes crazy for at the same time, then I'm making good use of both animals. If you like the taste of the heart eat it, but heart, liver and other organs don't float my boat. (as for the stew idea, I like doing that with bear meat, takes that gamey edge off)

Downwind
11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
I stuff it with whole garlic cloves and spices and then throw it in the slow cooker with my spuds and root veggies and a good helping of red wine. All those flavours get infused into that meat and it is awesome. One of my favourite meals from the animal for sure.

Freshtracks
11-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Can you say Mmmmmmmm!! Roast it like beef. :-D

sparkes3
11-07-2011, 09:07 PM
like jtred said stuff it like a chicken

mark
11-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Our family recipe is to clean it out really good and kind of open it up on the inside. Make a stuffing similar to your normal turkey/chicken stuffing and fill the heart as full as you can. Roast in oven with some water and broth (potatoes , carrots, and onions),etc. Can be eaten hot or cold. Sliced heart sandwiches can't be beat.

X2 on both......excellent meat in my opinion!

hunterofthedeer
11-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I just cut it up into little cubes and cook with bacon. Its pretty good stuff.

boblly1
11-07-2011, 09:34 PM
i know person that cleans the heart and stuff them with dressing like a turkey then roasts them

dime
11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I just cut it up into little cubes and cook with bacon. Its pretty good stuff.

First off, take the whole heart and throw it in a large bowl of water, let it soak for an hour, make sure all the congealed blood is out. Fry a pound of bacon in a large frying pan, while this is cooking take the heart and cut it into cubes about 1 inch across, remove bacon but leave the fat in the pan. Cook a bunch of red and yellow peppers with some onion in the bacon fat and and remove when nicely cooked. Cook heart until just cooked through and add bacon and vegetables back into pan. Serve with rice. Mmmmmmmmmm.

BiG Boar
11-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Tried it once, just threw it in the fire and cut it up. Now I guess I got to give it more of a chance. I have been wasting a lot of hearts in the last few years I guess!

Johnnybear
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Tried it once, just threw it in the fire and cut it up. Now I guess I got to give it more of a chance. I have been wasting a lot of hearts in the last few years I guess!

Give it a chance Big Boar. I like to slice it length ways into strips and put them on skewers and barbeque it with some Tai spices and dip it in peanut sauce. A Peruvian friend of mine got me onto the skewer thing with beef heart years ago. Different marinades work good too.

sapper
11-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Wow, thanks all. Lots of nice suggestions here both for in the field/camp cooking and also if I've managed to get it back home. I'm hungry now. Hopefully Sunday night I'll be heading home with a happy heart (mine) and a heart for Monday's dinner. :)

walks with deer
11-08-2011, 12:37 PM
When I clean a deer I remove everything but the heart then I do not have to pack it and it stays clean once to the truck I pop it out of its sack.
My favorite meat period.
(I do not eat liver)

sapper
11-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I've never really liked liver or kidneys (not even my grandmother's famous steak and kidney pies). I do like chicken "giblets" though and that is one reason why I figured I'd likely appreciate the heart. As someone else said, it is after all, another muscle.

tash
11-08-2011, 01:52 PM
It's good in stir fry too.

Liver, kidney and spleen go to the dog though.

pappy
11-08-2011, 02:19 PM
My mom used to make it into stew, I liked it. I haven't had it for a long time, hope I get a deer soon.

tomahawk
11-08-2011, 03:34 PM
It is kept and cooked from all animals we put on the ground and becomes the center piece of the evenings meal after the kill. It is soaked in water for a while to get rid of the obvious build up of blood (after all the heart is the blood pump) and then sliced in rings about 1/4 to 3/8 thick and cooked for 7-8 minutes till med rare, sprinkled with salt and pepper and served with sauteed onions and bacon, mashed potatoes slabbed with butter and a veggie. That is a tradition in our camps for more then 30 yrs.

dave_83golf
11-08-2011, 07:09 PM
I do mine up as fajita meat. Its delicious!

dave_83golf
11-08-2011, 07:17 PM
And Like Tommy, if we have time, we crush a few beers and eat it the night of the kill. Add in 1 shot of celebratory big buck tequila, and were in business!