PDA

View Full Version : Undercover CO.

bali
11-07-2011, 05:32 PM
Ran into a undercover CO dressed up in camo in 3-19, last night. He was on a quad with all the gear to make it look like it belonged to a hunter. And this was on a pretty secluded side road. We didn't believe him until he showed us his badge and ID. Have to say he was by far the nicest CO I've ran into. Things went pretty smooth after he checked out our tags and guns. My buddy had a LEH for a bull. Dint see anything in our zone, but saw a big bull in a field about 300yds in zoneB. Better luck next time....
Little update he gave us on fines:
Loaded gun:$230
Open liquor:$230 @ their discretion.
Discharge of firearm from a vehicle:$575
He has also been handing out alot of suspensions to stoned and drunk folks! Some repeat offenders.

Freshtracks
11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
NICE!!!!

Could we stick him in a multiplying machine and insert him across the province. :D

~T-BONE~
11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
yup had one stop me in 8-05 a few years back.. good guy he let me go back for my other coat wiyh my license in it lol...

finngun
11-07-2011, 05:41 PM
he sure is earning his salaries---good work...

vortex hunter
11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
fines:

So my question on that is can you walk with one in the pipe cause I sometimes due and dont need a headache or is the fine for IF your in your car/truck ?

Trapper D
11-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Good we need more of those guys out in the bush, nightime as well.

358win
11-07-2011, 06:02 PM
We sure could use a few more night shift C O's like this guy on the Island.

hunter1993ap
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
fines:

So my question on that is can you walk with one in the pipe cause I sometimes due and dont need a headache or is the fine for IF your in your car/truck ?
I'm prety sure its just if your in your car truck or quad.

todbartell
11-07-2011, 06:07 PM
it is legal to hunt with a loaded chamber.....................

vortex hunter
11-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm prety sure its just if your in your car truck or quad.

Yeah cause thats WHAT I think also hmmmm....

vortex hunter
11-07-2011, 06:10 PM
it is legal to hunt with a loaded chamber.....................

thanks tod lol answered the question

Mr. Dean
11-07-2011, 06:11 PM
What was his name?

SimilkameenSlayer
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Ran into a undercover CO dressed up in camo in 3-19, last night. He was on a quad with all the gear to make it look like it belonged to a hunter. And this was on a pretty secluded side road. We didn't believe him until he showed us his badge and ID. Have to say he was by far the nicest CO I've ran into. Things went pretty smooth after he checked out our tags and guns. My buddy had a LEH for a bull. Dint see anything in our zone, but saw a big bull in a field about 300yds in zoneB. Better luck next time....
Little update he gave us on fines:
Open liquor:$230 @ their discretion.
Discharge of firearm from a vehicle:$575
He has also been handing out alot of suspensions to stoned and drunk folks! Some repeat offenders.

some hard lessons i'm sure [hope] you have learnt.

thanks for posting, it serves as a good deterrent to any forum members that are thinking of slacking off.

i suspect that the majority of hunters have at sometime in there hunting life have committed a minor-offense unintentionally or intentionally.

rocksteady
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
If he was undercover....you would not know he was a CO......

SOunds like he was plain clothes :) or in this case "camo clothes"....

Glad to hear that they are out there enforcing and checking.....If you think it has been a long hunting season for us, just think what it has been like for them...

SimilkameenSlayer
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't think he got fined, he is updateing the price of the fine.

Loaded gun in a motorized conveyance, motorized boat, bike, quad, truck etc. not while walking.

oooooooooooops my bad ..... :oops:

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Had one drop by our elk camp this year on his quad, and civies on. He did not identify himself until I asked. The side arm gave him away. I don't know if it was an undercover thing or not. If it works, more power to them imo.

swampthing
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I have come across a few undercover COs now. They have always been great. If your a decent guy you have nothing to worry about anyway.

killer
11-07-2011, 07:43 PM
definatly need a few more on the island it sucks when you are heading home at the end of a day of hunting getting dark and u pass a truck or two heading in.

walks with deer
11-08-2011, 01:28 PM
Sweet send him down to the dike in twassen to knail the swan hunters

buckeyes
11-08-2011, 02:37 PM
Check out bullet #22 under the heading additional hunting method restrictions on page 16 of the regs. Also notes the meaning of motor vechiles in the general regs. No live ammo in the breech or in a mag attached to a firearm while in a motor vehicle. It's ok to walk with one in the hole.

CanuckShooter
11-08-2011, 03:53 PM
Had one drop by our elk camp this year on his quad, and civies on. He did not identify himself until I asked. The side arm gave him away. I don't know if it was an undercover thing or not. If it works, more power to them imo.

Didn't the sight of the side arm scare the bejeezus out of you??? He coulda been a gangster....they should wear uniforms so we know who we are dealing with.

Foxton Gundogs
11-08-2011, 04:16 PM
OK before someone starts yelling and saying I dont know what I'm talking about this info is at least 35 yrs old. My uncle was an old time Game Warden turned CO with the system. His badge (which I seen many times said and I may be a little wrong on the wording) B.C. Police. He was like the RCMP on duty 24/7 and could and did make "busts" when on "personal" time. he had the right to cary his side arm at all times either in view or concealed and actually had more search and seasure rights than the RCMP under(and again I may be a bit wrong on the wording) B.C. Provincial Police Act. He went undercover a number of times to bust commercial game sales etc and in doing so also made drug and other busts and carried a concealed .25 auto when undercover. I grew up on his stories. As I said I have no actuall knowlege of the scope of their powers and duties today but thats the way it was back in the day

rocksteady
11-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Foxton, I believe you are correct....

Under the Police Act, BC CO's are Special Constables, therefore having the same authority (plus some, as a CO) as an RCMP Officer...

troutseeker
11-08-2011, 04:42 PM
I had a couple check me on the Elk river while fishing this summer, good to hear they run this program for hunting as well. The fellows on the river did not have fishing rods, lol...

IronNoggin
11-08-2011, 04:55 PM
We sure could use a few more night shift C O's like this guy on the Island.

Times Three.
Some of The Ladz are suggestin' we should be dealing with it ourselves...
I'm kind of resistant to that particular program, but very much wish someone would get a handle on some of the things we've peripherally run into of late...

Nog

Gateholio
11-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Didn't the sight of the side arm scare the bejeezus out of you??? He coulda been a gangster....they should wear uniforms so we know who we are dealing with.

Personally, I am terrified when I encounter people dressed in camo, with firearms, in the woods, in hunting season.

CanuckShooter
11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Personally, I am terrified when I encounter people dressed in camo, with firearms, in the woods, in hunting season.

Have you seen those guys with face paint on??? My gawd, takes me back to those old movies where the Apache warrior put on his face paint...scarey!!

A CO should be wearing a uniform......if they are hiding their identity then they are just trying to gather information covertly so they can charge you...sneaky buggers...

pete_k
11-08-2011, 05:04 PM
CS specificaly said "sidearm".
I'd be a little on the curious side myself as to why this citizen (as far as I know) is packing a sidearm.

Mr. Dean
11-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I'd be a little on the curious side myself as to why this citizen (as far as I know) is packing a sidearm.

Some citizens 'can'. You don't need to be LEO.
Accept that, and you'll sleep soundly. :wink:

Gateholio
11-08-2011, 05:41 PM
Have you seen those guys with face paint on??? My gawd, takes me back to those old movies where the Apache warrior put on his face paint...scarey!!

A CO should be wearing a uniform......if they are hiding their identity then they are just trying to gather information covertly so they can charge you...sneaky buggers...

What is even more terrifying is when CO's wear their uniforms, but look at people through binoculars, gathering information covertly!

Or when they set up decoys and are hidden in the bushes waiting to see if someone shoots at it.

So sneaky!

If you are curious, why not just ask? He might be a CO, or RCMP or have a ATC or whatever. Encountering a guy with a gun in the woods is no cause for alarm. It's just a gun.

laredo318
11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Some citizens 'can'. You don't need to be LEO.
Accept that, and you'll sleep soundly. :wink:

I just wish, I could be one of "them"
I am not trustworthy enough.
Good to see the CO doing a good job for sure!

pete_k
11-08-2011, 07:17 PM
If you are curious, why not just ask? He might be a CO, or RCMP or have a ATC or whatever. Encountering a guy with a gun in the woods is no cause for alarm. It's just a gun.

As I said, I'd be curious and yes I would ask.
Something you don't see everyday

The Dawg
11-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I dont trust anyone that works plainclothes ;)

troutseeker
11-08-2011, 09:30 PM
I dont trust anyone that works plainclothes ;)

Hey! C'mon man, that hurts... Lol

Gun Dog
11-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Foxton, I believe you are correct....

Under the Police Act, BC CO's are Special Constables, therefore having the same authority (plus some, as a CO) as an RCMP Officer...Or the SPCA officers or the [Skytrain] Transit Police. Only in Canada can a private organization have police powers.

wildcatter
11-09-2011, 12:02 AM
If I remember correctly, you can't have a loaded gun in camp either.
Once hunting with a buddy up Blowdown in 3-16 and when we got back to the van he casually hung
his gun on the side mirror, a CO came by and he went straight for the gun, you can guess it was loaded.
He got away with a warning, but he gave me sh**t because he knew me and said you should know better.
I wasn't paying attention and I had no idea it was loaded, you can't babysit an adult man.

mikeboehm
11-09-2011, 12:12 AM
As far as i know you can have a loaded weapon in camp. That cant say **** all about that as long as your nOt drinking. Got checked in princeton earlier this year, the CO was gonna give me a ticket until my buddy who hunts with me showed his RCMP badge. According to my cop buddy its legal.

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 12:23 AM
It's legal and is called predetor prevention.

wildcatter
11-09-2011, 12:33 AM
As far as i know you can have a loaded weapon in camp. That cant say **** all about that as long as your nOt drinking. Got checked in princeton earlier this year, the CO was gonna give me a ticket until my buddy who hunts with me showed his RCMP badge. According to my cop buddy its legal.

I'll check on that, mind you I like to have a drink in camp but usually at the end of the day.

landphil
11-09-2011, 12:38 AM
It's legal and is called predetor prevention.

True, but hanging it loaded on the mirror is not legal, nor is leaning a loaded firearm against a vehicle. That's were Wildcatter's buddy went wrong.

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 12:45 AM
True, but hanging it loaded on the mirror is not legal, nor is leaning a loaded firearm against a vehicle. That's were Wildcatter's buddy went wrong.

Fine line but technically correct.

recoil
11-09-2011, 01:12 AM
To play devils advocate the loaded firearm in camp could be considered improper storage if it is not under you control. For example if you are sitting around the campfire and your loaded firearm was 30' away in your tent where a random person or younger family member could access it before you then the CO may have an issue.

5 spike
11-09-2011, 04:15 AM
definatly need a few more on the island it sucks when you are heading home at the end of a day of hunting getting dark and u pass a truck or two heading in.

yes we do need some more out at night, was comming out at dark last night and there was about 5 trucks heading in.

silvicon
11-09-2011, 09:25 AM
Kudos to the CO!
We need at least 1000 of his caliber in this province!!

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 10:11 AM
yes we do need some more out at night, was comming out at dark last night and there was about 5 trucks heading in.

Why is this suspicious?

I know MANY people that go in late and sleep in their truck, so they can be set up for 1st light and still get a decent sleep. Many of them will then carry on to their jobs and do it 2 or 3 times a week - Lots of people on HBC post this in their stories about their successful hunts.

I'm ALWAYS going in late or super-uber early....

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 10:13 AM
To play devils advocate the loaded firearm in camp could be considered improper storage if it is not under you control. For example if you are sitting around the campfire and your loaded firearm was 30' away in your tent where a random person or younger family member could access it before you then the CO may have an issue.

Most of our laws are based on Common Sense.

Foxton Gundogs
11-09-2011, 10:26 AM
Or the SPCA officers or the [Skytrain] Transit Police. Only in Canada can a private organization have police powers.

Yes I agree with you on the SPCA(however their powers can be called into question if you really push it) The COs/Game Wardens however,were(again I cant speak to presant day) holdover members of the B.C. Provincial Police who were THE law enforcement agency in the Provance long before the RCMP came on the scene in B.C.

CanuckShooter
11-09-2011, 12:09 PM

Wildcatters buddy? Did he dispute this bogus charge??

CanuckShooter
11-09-2011, 12:11 PM

You seriously have got to be kidding....:-0

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 12:20 PM

You seriously have got to be kidding....:-0

No.
Loaded guns should NOT be available to "random" people OR toddlers.

Puffin' the crack pipe again???? :lol: :lol:

FirePower
11-09-2011, 03:16 PM

What common sense exists in it being illegal to lean a loaded firearm against a vehicle that is parked and locked, when in theory it is alright to lean it against a tree inches from that vehicle? Loaded firearm in a vehicle is common sense but the outside of a parked and locked one is the law going amuck. Also when does a vehicle cease to be a vehicle, is a truck with camper fully set up and stableized on jacks with a awning deployed a vehicle or tempory residence? Sometime Common Sense is not quite so Common, as I see it.

cariboo crawler
11-09-2011, 03:31 PM
I agree !!!!
It only takes a minute to load up anyway with a clip in your pocket or a round or two. It's not a good practice for sure.

huntermike
11-09-2011, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=FirePower;1014293]What common sense exists in it being illegal to lean a loaded firearm against a vehicle that is parked and locked, when in theory it is alright to lean it against a tree inches from that vehicle?
The truck can be unlocked and started by some one who doesnt know the gun is leaning against it ,the tree can't.

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 05:13 PM
What common sense exists in it being illegal to lean a loaded firearm against a vehicle that is parked and locked, when in theory it is alright to lean it against a tree inches from that vehicle? Loaded firearm in a vehicle is common sense but the outside of a parked and locked one is the law going amuck. Also when does a vehicle cease to be a vehicle, is a truck with camper fully set up and stableized on jacks with a awning deployed a vehicle or tempory residence? Sometime Common Sense is not quite so Common, as I see it.

Guess ya missed my following post on the subject...

No.
Loaded guns should NOT be available to "random" people OR toddlers.

Puffin' the crack pipe again???? :lol: :lol:

Flame on if you wish. :tongue:

Frango
11-09-2011, 05:25 PM
I have never had a toddler or a random person in camp.

Foxton Gundogs
11-09-2011, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=FirePower;1014293]What common sense exists in it being illegal to lean a loaded firearm against a vehicle that is parked and locked, when in theory it is alright to lean it against a tree inches from that vehicle?
The truck can be unlocked and started by some one who doesnt know the gun is leaning against it ,the tree can't.
I get fire power here I mean how much yes a truck can be unlocked climbed into, started and yes the gun could fall but a tree can be bumped into much easier and quicker with the same results a locked truck is just as inanimate as a tree.

[QUOTE=Mr. Dean;1014346]Guess ya missed my following post on the subject...

Regardless ot the nest quote, I didnt see where firepower said the gun would unatended just leaning against a locked vehicle how much control do you need to have? I mean you can have it right beside you but its still illegal,
I just see his point is all.

Mr. Dean
11-09-2011, 10:44 PM
FoxtonGundogs

I'm not making any point of what you're discussing in regards to vehicles - Never was and really don't plan on it.
It's Law, I accept it for what it is, as I can't waste my time in making it change.

Chances are it came about from someones stoopid actions....

Gateholio
11-09-2011, 11:01 PM
The regulation is a loaded rifle "in" or "on" a vehicle.

So leaning or hanging a loaded rifle on a truck is a violation.

DO I think it's an innocent mistake? sure. DO I think that some CO's may be somewhat over zealous in enforcing this? Probably.

But the fact remains that it is a law. You may be able to argue your case in court and win, but it's much easier to just unload.

wildcatter
11-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Wildcatters buddy? Did he dispute this bogus charge??

Didn't need to, he got off with a warning.

Shooter
11-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Why is this suspicious?

I know MANY people that go in late and sleep in their truck, so they can be set up for 1st light and still get a decent sleep. Many of them will then carry on to their jobs and do it 2 or 3 times a week - Lots of people on HBC post this in their stories about their successful hunts.

I'm ALWAYS going in late or super-uber early....

You obviously aren't familiar with the area around here. Most guys can be hunting withing 30 minutes of their homes and do not sleep in the truck the night before. Most of the guys that are out there sleeping in the field the night before are the guys camping from "out of town" and these are definitely not the guys heading up the mountain at 8:00 at night. I realize many guys do operate the way you suggest just not in the areas being spoken about. So ya when it is a regular occurance for as many trucks heading into the bush at dark as there are heading out of the bush, it would definitely be nice to see a little more C.O. presence around. I am not slagging the CO's that we do have on the job here I just realize that they are severely understaffed and underfunded.

Trapper D
11-09-2011, 11:22 PM
hey shooter ive been noticing that as well as another hunter i bs with out there , i think we hunt somewhat close to each other, but ya night traffic coming in, been noticing scattered does when earlier they were grouped up, also stopped chasing that 4 or 5 point ,as i think im looking for a dead deer, something i didnt think about till now was a pile of cigarette butts that i drove past, initially thought somebody dumping out their tray, now im thinking they were from sitting there all night. hmm

Shooter
11-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes it is a very regular occurrence seeing guys going in at dark. I realized that in itself is no crime but definitely does raise suspicions.

Too bad for you about the 4 or 5 point. Same thing here. We were chasing a VERY large 2 point....... yes 2 point...... but I have heard that it very well may be dead now.

Mr. Dean
11-10-2011, 01:23 AM
You obviously aren't familiar with the area around here. Most guys can be hunting withing 30 minutes of their homes and do not sleep in the truck the night before.

You are right, I don't know CR all that well.

But I do know that many-a-local, in any given community will hunt in broad circles from the homestead. If a local is on to a *good* deer, or has an LEH 'whatever' in an adjoining MU, they'll do pretty much what it takes to be successful, in a legal manner. Many times this calls for several nights in the truck so they don't have to book off of work. They go out sporadically during the week, hunt the early morning, and be off to the mill or ???, for their shift.

This way, they keep momma happy with being able to take her somewhere for a holiday, instead of hunting, and the Boss is glad that they aren't calling in sick days. These guy's I envy as I just can't do it here.

I know for FACT this happens in Salmon Arm, Clearwater, Port Hardy..... But I can't *conclusively* say it happens in CR and it's vicinty.

Thought;

Isn't it common knowledge that in order to get a *good* blacktail, you need to be up on top of the slash at 1st daylight?
Makes no sense to me to hike up an hour before; I'd wanna be there for 4am and wait it out, while I got a decent sleep on the seat from 10pm - 3am.

Fisher-Dude
11-10-2011, 06:48 AM

Why? So you can see them coming and hide what you're doing?

Ltbullken
11-10-2011, 06:53 AM
fines:

Loaded as in truck or on the quad, that means having rounds in the clip/magazine. Need to completely unload when in a vehicle or on the quad. Yes you can walk around with one in the chamber - that's legal.

CanuckShooter
11-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Why? So you can see them coming and hide what you're doing?

No. To identify who they are, not just some bozo playing cop with phony ID.

Ltbullken
11-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Yeah 'cuz that means someone else knows about your honeyhole!!

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 12:03 PM
No. To identify who they are, not just some bozo playing cop with phony ID.

Is this a common occurrence in your area? People impersonating CO's?

CanuckShooter
11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
No, I don't think it's all that common, although its not unheard of either.

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 01:51 PM
I've never heard of someone impersonating a CO. Be interesting to see some of the reports regarding this.

CanuckShooter
11-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Just google....you'll find some. Heard once about a fellow doing a 'wildlife patrol', thought it was OK to stop guys and check guns etc.

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Be pretty ballsy to get a fake badge, stick a handgun on your belt and start checking people.....COp impersonators are usually pretty whacko.

If in doubt, ask for a business card, unlikely the impersonator would be carrying gov bc cards! :)

ROEBUCK
11-10-2011, 07:09 PM
Be pretty ballsy to get a fake badge, stick a handgun on your belt and start checking people.....COp impersonators are usually pretty whacko.

If in doubt, ask for a business card, unlikely the impersonator would be carrying gov bc cards! :)

Been lots of cases around the world of people trying to impersonate peace officers 1 way or another.
women in england were advised to drive to the nearest police station and not stop for unmarked police cars after a couple of impersonaters pulled over women and attacked them

Gateholio
11-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I've heard of cops being impersonated many times, but not CO's in British Columbia.

resqmedic02
11-10-2011, 07:27 PM
For those that don't think co''s or cops should go undercover or view from a distance with binos.... what have you got to hide? I for one have no issues with them doing this as I have nothing to hide and hunt, fish and do whatever legally. If you can't hunt or fish legally then you are just a scumbag and a poacher.....my two cents worth

Phreddy
11-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Given the workload the CO's have, with cutbacks, larger areas to cover, and more clowns heading in at night, etc., I can honestly say I'm glad to see them no matter how they're dressed. I was out the other day on my way up to an area to meet with Martyonthewater and Betterofffishing and found 4 gut piles on a bend in the road from the night before, and at least one of them was obviously a fawn. A little later in the day, on my way home, I noticed a C.O.s truck parked on the side of the road with no one around. Seemed kind of strange so I backed up to it again just as the CO came around from behind a burn pile after investigating a poached doe report. Told him I was just making sure he was ok and after a friendly discussion (no, he didn't ask me to see my license or anything else) I was on my way again. These guys have a thankless and often very dangerous job and deserve all the breaks we can give them without giving them "attitude". Their prime objective, when you think about it, is to ensure that we continue to have game to hunt by geting rid of the poachers, etc.
In my 50+ years of hunting I've only met one with attitude and that man got a good piece of my mind for it.

Foxton Gundogs
11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
FoxtonGundogs

discussing in regards to vehicles
I'm not making any point of what you're - Never was and really don't plan on it.
It's Law, I accept it for what it is, as I can't waste my time in making it change.

Chances are it came about from someones stoopid actions....

U r probably right about someones stupid actions and to be clear, I never said anything about YOU making a point I said I se HIS point, and I do but u r right it's the law so I obey it.

Mr. Dean
11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
U r probably right about someones stupid actions and to be clear, I never said anything about YOU making a point I said I se HIS point, and I do but u r right it's the law so I obey it.

I just wanted to be clear - Thanks. :smile: