PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Sask. for Whitetail.... Any advice?

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM
After being invited several times by relatives to come for a hunt, I have finally committed. I know that they are very knowledgeable, so no problem there. I am just looking for things to think about before I go. I will be hunting in Zone ? ( :-D ), southern region. I already have my tags, and conservation tag.

SUAFOYT
11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Don't forget the monkey suit.

Drillbit
11-07-2011, 04:04 PM
What type of hunting are you doing? Push, bait, truck?

Angus
11-07-2011, 04:20 PM
PM Longshotz (Gregg). He just came back from there.

Good luck

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2011, 04:25 PM
What type of hunting are you doing? Push, bait, truck?

No bait. If it is up to me, I will be mostly hiking, and glassing providing it is not too cold. My uncle did mention bush pushing as well. From what I am told, I will have about 40 miles of river bottom to hunt that the deer like to hide in. Apparently they don't like to shoot them down in there. Why, I do not know.

pronghorn
11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Hold out for a big one and take pics,good luck

craigo
11-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Head wear has to be yellow, red (scarlet accroding to regs book), blaze orange.
Upper body can be same colors as above or white.
Need a good bellaclava.
Sask had a good year for moisture and good grass growth, I suspect some hogs will be shot this year, good luck!
PM me if you have anymore questions or concerns.

CRAIGO

srupp
11-07-2011, 04:53 PM
whitetails love the thick stuff...and will do almost anything to avoid coming out in the open..look for the shortest open distance between two thick patches...

unlike mulies hunt all day...

have good optics some wide open places

lots of warm clothes...

double check your rifle be sure you know where its shooting (mine is 3 1/2 inches high @ 100 yards)

bush pushes work well..how I shot my best white tail...

sitting can produce just as much and sometimes even more than moving around...

Good Luck..
Steven

Mr. Dean
11-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Practice up. Shots could be 'out there'.
Sticks or pod is a good idea.

Good luck!

.300WSMImpact!
11-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Do not shoot the first buck you see, that is the biggest mistake people make on the there first trip out there, its hard to pass up that 130 to 150 but you WILL get a bigger one if you wait

cainer
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
See you out there on the 25 th. bring the cold if you can... That gets em up and moving. If it is cold, pick up some hand and boot Warmer's before you leave Bc as they always seem to be hard to find once you' re out there. Same seems to go for the all white jackets. Good luck!

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Hold out for a big one and take pics,good luck

That is the plan. Been studying Big Buck mag. for a while now. Setting my sights high. :-D

Head wear has to be yellow, red (scarlet accroding to regs book), blaze orange.
Upper body can be same colors as above or white.
Need a good bellaclava.
Sask had a good year for moisture and good grass growth, I suspect some hogs will be shot this year, good luck!
PM me if you have anymore questions or concerns.

CRAIGO

I am aware of the regs on colours. Thanks, and will do.

have good optics some wide open places

lots of warm clothes...

double check your rifle be sure you know where its shooting (mine is 3 1/2 inches high @ 100 yards)

Good Luck..
Steven

Swaro's are coming, definitely do not want to be cold, and I will be borrowing a gun from my uncle. Saying he has lots is an understatement. I trust that whatever gun I choose will be dead on. A couple shots to check will not hurt.

Practice up. Shots could be 'out there'.
Sticks or pod is a good idea.

Good luck!

Range finder is on the list as well as my bi-pod. Might look at finding some sticks though.

Do not shoot the first buck you see, that is the biggest mistake people make on the there first trip out there, its hard to pass up that 130 to 150 but you WILL get a bigger one if you wait

I sure hope the first buck I see is not a Booner. :-D

See you out there on the 25 th. bring the cold if you can... That gets em up and moving. If it is cold, pick up some hand and boot Warmer's before you leave Bc as they always seem to be hard to find once you' re out there. Same seems to go for the all white jackets. Good luck!

Good idea with the hand warmers. I know my parents have a box sitting in their cupboard. Might have to borrow one or ten. My white fleece is making the trip.

Thanks all for the luck. I know I am going to have a great trip. I have not been back to the prairies for about 12 years. It will be great seeing all the family, and getting to hunt with them is just the kicker.

srupp
11-08-2011, 09:41 AM
You will absolutley LOVE IT..I look forward to it every year..highlight of the year..

cheers and good luck

Steven

Drillbit
11-08-2011, 01:42 PM
The first one you see will be big, and haunt you for the entire week if you don't shoot him!

Rackmastr
11-09-2011, 08:35 AM
I'll be headed to some Bush/Farmland fringe country on the NW side of the province during the last week. We've got a cabin there and will have 5 of us there it sounds like so should make for a good trip.

I'm thinking we'll do a lot of sitting on bushlines, cutlines, and willow blocks. With the group I'm guessing we'll do a couple pushes of bush to see what we can get moving.

Got my eyes set on a 160+ buck out there....hoping that can become a reality. Stoked to get out there!