PDA

View Full Version : goats in the cascades

sealevel
09-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Driveing to hongcover and back today . Looking at all those rocky mountain tops on the coke got to wondering are there or has there been goats on them ? I know there is no season.

mark
09-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Ive looked up there lots from the highway, and flown over there lots too, ive never seen any, and i do fly close and look hard!

ryanb
09-22-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes I believe there are. I think that population has fallen on some hard times if I remember correctly. Apparently hit pretty hard by parasites or somesuch, I recall reading.

Jelvis
09-22-2006, 08:44 PM
That would be area MU 2:2 some deer hunting, blue grouse, ptarmigan, lots of black bear. Roads in this area are mining and logging roads of various ages and states of repair. I think you could find a rocky mtn goat some where in those mind blowing mtns but what a hike. > Jelly < 9226 WAY above sealevel.

Steeleco
09-22-2006, 09:12 PM
I've seen goats in the hills above Slolicum lake and know a good friend that hunted and got a goat in the last year of the LEH for them in the hills behind Stave lake. I here they can been seen in the peaks above Chilliwack lake but I've not seen that myself.

Robert_G
09-22-2006, 09:29 PM
There are definetely goats up the peaks in the Chilliwack Lake area.
Seen them first hand.

~T-BONE~
09-22-2006, 09:34 PM
I've seen goats in the hills above Slolicum lake .

How long ago? We used to see them in spring above Deer lake. OL'man 'n' bud seen one in the winter on Slolicum rd. that heads up from the deactivated rd. out of the park. Goat was on the beaver pond dancing on the breaking ice.... True story!

Lots of goats in the Cheam range! With a spotter one can see em from foley lake rd. to the east of the Airplane crk. rd. in the spring. Seen 17 at once. Up the lake pretty much anywhere in them there hills Williamson, Williams, Foley, Ling, Flora, Welchs, Radium, Paleface, Borderpeaks , Tamahi glacier, Lady peak, these are a few spots I've witnessed them on or near, off the top of my head!! .... Legs are gonna hurt if you wanna find em :wink:

Steeleco
09-22-2006, 10:08 PM
I recall that being about 5 years back, can't get in the area anymore to hunt bears and such as the road is overgrown.

~T-BONE~
09-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Too bad one used to be able to get there from Mt. Baldy or come up from the backend of Bear crk. to sturgeon lk. but that is grown in as well.. Even for a dirt bike. Grizlies in there too!!!!!