PDA

View Full Version : Graystokes near Kelowna

Robert_G
09-22-2006, 07:41 PM
I've heard some guys on this forum mention the area, as well as there being Griz up there. I've google earthed the area, and looked it up on backroad maps.
I noticed the logging in the area is none if minimal.
Does anyone here have any first hand experience on what the hunting is like up there. Its pretty high elevation, so I'd like to know what a guy should know and be prepared for before hunting the area.

Thanks

mark
09-22-2006, 08:00 PM
Be prepared to see Jack$h!t. Not trying to discourage ya from going, its very beautiful country up there, but thats what i see everytime i go! Oh ya lots of guys on quads! Not country you want to venture into if your unfamiliar with the ground. There are cutblocks lower down and surrounding the area with good road access. You could get turned around pretty quick in the alpine meadows so a map or GPS is highly reccomended if you do venture up there. There are alot of trails up there as lots of quaders and 4x4's use the area often. Oh ya lots of cattle up there too!

overthetop
09-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Lots of deer, no big ones, whiteys and muleys, never seen much evidence of bear.

Fisher-Dude
09-22-2006, 09:33 PM
The area has a large vehicle closure. There are designated access roads....anything else will get you a ticket in your truck or on your quad. They do patrol it. There are lots of deer there at the beginning of September, but they disappear into the spruce fast. When there was a Sept 1 rifle season here, some guys did okay up there, but I don't recall any stories of success up there lately. As mark says, it is a beautiful area. Great sledding in the winter too. But there are better hunting areas.

And...grizz too...I've had them following my sled tracks and snooping around my truck in the spring.

jackychiles
09-24-2006, 09:35 AM
I have seen Griz sign up there and not even as high as the alpine. Usually see a ton of mulley does lower down. Bucks will be up high for a while.

Jacky

GoatGuy
09-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Pm.............................

Robert_G
09-25-2006, 11:51 AM
Thanks for the PM, and thanks to the rest of the guys that posted. Sounds like its more of a place for picture taking then hunting.