PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had success rattling blacktails before?

wing shooter
11-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had success rattling in a blacktail. I've tried several times in the last couple seasons with 0 success. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

B.S.A.30/06
11-07-2011, 12:35 PM
I have tried to rattle blacktails before with little success. Grunt seems to work sometimes.

proguide66
11-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Seems to me it works only when the planets and stars are in a certain line...wich isnt very often. Ive had 5 bucks come to it at one time and 98% of the time , nothing! Ive rattled and called while still hunting and killed lots....seems to keep em standing there waiting for me more than they come.

Coyote
11-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I believe you need the right buck doe ratio for this to work. If there are many does per buck there is no point in a buck getting himself beat up.However if the buck:doe ratio is high then competition and scrapping will occur. Rattling will probably be more productive in this situation. Just my HO.

'yote

takla1
11-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I definatley works speaking from experience,my arsenal consists of a grunt tube,doe in heat bleat and a rattle bag.Was out all weekend at OUR spot fri night,sat morning,sun morning ,tons of sign,thier travel trails are marked up good with scraps on some trails every 8 ft apart all from this last week.Last yr i personally shot my blacktail set up on a trail down wind from the cut with my partner rattling agressively 30 yrd futher back of me.that buck came running in to investigate an i nailed him.That was repeated for my buddies b-t a week later.We use this technic every nov and have success every yr.this weekend we were set up and doing our rattling,doe bleat ect and didnt see a thing,still too earley.the younger buck will start showing soon as the snow levels drop.I foget the dates of last yrs kills but there in the arcives on site,but the second week of nov it will start getting hot in the local ,lowermainland mountains.

elksmasher
11-07-2011, 10:07 PM
The gruntmay not bring them in,but it will stop them in their tracks.I had a deuce walk up to me on a logging road at Woss once ,I was standing in a foot of snow,he came down the road grunting the whole time ,got to within 5 ft of me walked behind me cmae backout went 75 yds down the road and then came back and jumped off the road,it was like I'didn't exsist.