PDA

View Full Version : How Do We MIss Those Easy Shots

Chilliwack
11-06-2011, 08:34 PM
A lovely fall day in the Valley today so I headed out with a little over a half a hour left of shooting time.
The robo duck has been working well so I diod not once again bother with any other decoys to keep it company. If I do say myself I have been shooting well this season, for a change.:)

I still had my church clothes on but did take my tie off but if I was an English gentleman I should have left it on.:) I know I would be in trouble if my wife saw me in this wardrobe but with my hunting coat, hat and waders no one would be able to tell.

As I head to the field I kick about 2 dozen mallard out of a surrounding ditch, I could have maybe dropped a couple but I thought better not to scare them as they may come back to roost. Anyway I do not really like jump shooting as I like to see them come into the decoys.

I set up the robo and slip into the natural grass blind, and fed 3 #3 Remington
shells into my scatter gun.

The sunset is wonderful and I know the ducks will soon start to appear.

A few scattered flocks appear looking for a place to roost for the night.

I see a high flock of about a dozen birds coming from the east, they are in a V formation and I can see a large drake at the point of the V.

I donot think they will decoy as they look too high.To my amazement they change their East to West direction and turn left, dropping a bit as the robo is spinning its magic. I snuggle into the grass, motionless. They circle a couple times, a bit wary maybe. They look great against the now setting sun, its crimson red.

Finally they commit, coming in close, landing gear down, I see the big drake too. I click off the safety button, I jump up, the birds of course flare, they are in perfect range. I donot know if I focus on the big drake or not as the air seems a mass of wings, clinbing swiftly to get away from this strange figure, me.

The gun barks once, twice, three times, I cannot believe it, all the birds are leaving unscathed. Disgusted I watch them head into the setting sun.

Dejected I slip in 3 more shells and wait, will I get another chance?

I am looking at another flock going into another field when out of the corner of my eye I see a motion of wings, its two drakes landing about 30 feet from me.

They are surprised as I am as I jump once again to my feet, I wait a tad to let them get further out, I think to myself before I fire I got you guys. Once again 3 shots are fired but these two birds seem to have a lucky charm as they leave in the shape they came in.:confused:

I am really disgusted now, to think I thought I was becoming a good shot but 6 quality shots just filled the air with pellets. I get no more chances which most likely was just as well as I would most likely have missed them too.

I grab the robo and head to the Leaf Mobile, shooting as bad as the Leafs played last night in giving up 7 goals while scoring none, I was almost as bad of course going 0 for 6.

As I load the robo and gun into the truck and take off my waders a flock of wood ducks fly overhead, there necks bulging with a few hazelnuts from a nearby farm. Glad I had no shells in the gun.

As I drive towards home I think what went wrong, maybe it was the church clothes, or should I have worn that tie, like a country English Gentleman.

yamadirt 426
11-06-2011, 11:11 PM
There is only one guy that writes a good story and drives a leaf mobile that I know of in the wack or anywhere for that matter. But 99% of his journals are of the fishing kind. Glad to see you over here :) and i missed more than 6 easy shots the other day. after going 4 for 5 at the beginning of my shoot yesterday i dropped the average to about 1bird per 4 shots by the end of the night. 1 double though. When i think about it I cant shoot. When i just go through the motions they fall... Eating teriaki mallard legs as i type. cheers

CanuckShooter
11-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Eyes going, reflexs slowing down?? Or duck fever ??

Tanya
11-07-2011, 06:43 AM
LOL, great story. It happens, sometimes we just plain SUCK! :lol: I really think though that had you kept the tie on it would have made a world of difference. :biggrin:

Likely with failing light you lifted your head - my error often.

shotgunjohn
11-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Obviously it was a bad Karma day for Maple Leaf fans.

blindman
11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I had a similar experience years ago. Hunting a small pothole in the sagebrush, I had Mallards decoying within easy range all day and continually missed. I was convinced that my barrel was bent so I stopped at a gravel pit on the way home and hit what I aimed at so that excuse went out the window. My theory is that when we have days like that, we just mount the gun incorrectly time after time. It could very well be something as simple as wearing different clothing that messes up the placement of the butt of the stock. Whatever causes it, I'm sure that most of us have had a day like yours.

behemoth
11-07-2011, 10:09 AM
LOL! It was that bad karma you've got from using the Robo duck! Go carve and paint yourself some dekes so the hunting gods will smile upon you again. j/k :)

Great story

Chilliwack
11-07-2011, 10:18 AM
LOL! It was that bad karma you've got from using the Robo duck! Go carve and paint yourself some dekes so the hunting gods will smile upon you again. j/k :)

Great story

Yes I call it a flossing duck, ifyou are a fisher you will know what that means.lol

I have lots of decoys but too lazy to take them out, this early on the season.

Chessieguy
11-07-2011, 10:29 AM
I have often found that with the shotgun, sometimes the more time you have to think about the shot the worse the outcome. Times where you watch the birds coming from a long ways off and start planning the shot and cant hit a thing, and other times where the birds appear in the decoys and its simply instinct and you cant miss if you tried...

Guess that's what keeps us coming back...

Good luck and great story!!!

Foxton Gundogs
11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Well if anyone comes up with a air tight answer let me know, fast fly bys and on the edge shots NP the ones hovering wings set above the deeks at 20 yrds seem to get a free pass lol.

Chilliwack
11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Went out for the morning flight today to see if I could rebound from the poor shooting during last night's evening flight.

It was a cloudy morning so I thought it should be a good flight but I would have liked some wind. As I walk to where I will set up I scare a few mallards from the ditch, too early to shoot so they get a free pass.

As I set up the robo I see the bottom half of the bar is not there must have fallen into the back of the truck. It sits a little lower than it should but looks Ok as I settle in, behind the corn stalks.

To my right a good flock of ducks take off, maybe 50, not sure if they are jumping from their night roost of the ditch or had been feeding overnight on the corn.

Usually later in the season, on a full moon they do this in our area, of course to avoid us nimrods.

It is still not shooting time and off course first 2 ducks and then 3 slip in beside the robo, Sensing something is not right they flee the scene.

The flight is not there this morning with only one hen coming in behind me and flops into the ditch. I turn and get ready for a shot that I will not take if she jumps and flies to the other side of the ditch, too far to walk to retrieve her, if I connect that is.

However when I show myself she make an error in judgement and turns to the left, my side of the ditch, I wait a bit, letting her get away from me a few more yards. Just before I squeeze the trigger I think of last nights terrible shooting, will it now be 0 for 7, 8 or 9.

Happily this was not the case, as the gun barks the bird tumbles to the ground, good I now have 3 birds to cook, as I did get 2 late last week before my shooting when to the dogs.

No more birds show in the next 15 minutes so I decide to leave with a 1000 batting average for today. As well I have to pick up my deer meat from the butcher this morning.

Of course being retired and only a few minutes from the hunting grounds another shoot is just around the corner.:-D

reach
11-07-2011, 11:25 AM
There is only one guy that writes a good story and drives a leaf mobile that I know of in the wack or anywhere for that matter. But 99% of his journals are of the fishing kind. Glad to see you over here :)
+1 on that! Great stories as usual. Thanks for sharing.