PDA

View Full Version : bi-pod or no bi-pod, that is the question

mrshananagans
11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
while hunting do you use a bi-pod? if so what is a popular brand and size? any info helps, thanks in advance :mrgreen:

pappy
11-06-2011, 08:44 PM
I have a harris 9-13'' and a longer harris one. The short one comes out more often, I have used it a couple of times while shooting game. I like it but I don't always need it and it makes my gun unbalanced, sometimes I just carry it in my pack. It is nice that you can quickly take them off and put them on and they always keep the barrel off the ground when your taking a leak or glassing.

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Problem is they are cumbersome and awkward. They do work well, though.

Shooter
11-06-2011, 09:26 PM
Problem is they are cumbersome and awkward. They do work well, though.

They are for sure. My older son has cerebral palsy and has a hard time steadying a rifle and a Bi-pod has been the only real answer for him. The next problem was to try to overcome the awkwardness of carrying a rifle that has one attached. What worked for him was getting a Safari sling on his rifle.

His bi-pod is the 6"-9" i believe. It is also the Harris swiveling one. The Harris is great and the 6"-9" works real well for prone position or set on a stump or log etc.

little moose
11-06-2011, 09:26 PM
shooting stix are always an option

Sitkaspruce
11-06-2011, 09:29 PM
I had one for 10 years, actually only ever used to shoot something twice, and bull caribou and a whitetail deer.

Decided that it was too much weight on the front, made a lot of noise in the bush and was an all around PITA to use.

Sold it and now use a Primos Trigger Stick, much easier to use, comes in handy as a walking stick and a pretty stable platform for glassing.

Cheers

SS

keoke
11-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I have one and use it mostly for sighting in. I do plan to use it for my bobcat hunts this winter. I have a shooters ridge 6-15" or something like that.

ROEBUCK
11-06-2011, 09:34 PM
I use shooting sticks
2 lengths of metal, plastic coated bean poles twined together to make a bi pod works great for under $10

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Those trigger sticks look pretty good. Be easy to use as a quick rest and double as a walking stick, too.:)

dino
11-06-2011, 09:46 PM
I use a 9-27" and I never leave home without it. Its all about the style of hunting you do. I do alot of open high country hunting and I believe it to be my third most important tool I have it my arsenal. I like the taller bipod because I can sit down and shoot any angle uphill or down. The short bipods cant get the rifle above the grass or brush. Like I said earlier its all about style of hunting, the farther away you are the more time you have to pull out the bipod and make yourself much more accurate. Try shooting 200m or more freehand then try with a tall bipod, you will see what im talking about.

Night Hawk 3
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I have two and use them when the conditions are right for using one - usually prairie / farm land type shooting. They allow for a very steady rest for longer range shots - took an elk at 315 yds this year and a WT buck at 385 yds last year. Also used it to steady my rifle while shooting in a coulee just the other day for my last day of the season Moose - the range was close enough, but the wind was very, very strong and a prone position was best and the bipod helped a lot.

But, otherwise they are a little heavy and awkward if you're not expecting to take more challenging shots.

NH3

pescado
11-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Have been playing with a Snipe-Pod lately and liking it. Lightweight and it does help.

mrhappygolucky
11-07-2011, 02:28 PM
have one only use it for sighting! i usually find that if i need to stabilize while sighted on, i can find a near by branch or something to lean on or rest on to stabilize

rocksteady
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Have had a Harris 9 to 13" on my 06 since about 1990....Its always there, use it as much as possible when shooting at critters...Makes a 150 yard shot a slam dunk...

Have overcome the thought that its cumbersome, changes balance etc...You get used to it....

Have quick studs on all my rifles so I can change it off when ever I want...I use it on my .22 for gophers, .243 for yotes, 06 for big game, the .338.....Whatever rifle I am using will have it mounted up...

Mr. Dean
11-07-2011, 06:36 PM
All depends on what I'm hunting, where I'm hunting and how I'm hunting.
If I think I'll need it, I take one. :mrgreen:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0002_edited-12.jpg

I've only used Harris...

ElectricDyck
11-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Good for putting the rifle down while taking a dump too!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd75/ElectricDyck/IMG_0889.jpg

Singleshotneeded
11-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Harris 9-27" swivelling, use it if I'm on stand at a large clearcut, etc, where I might be making a long shot.

todbartell
11-07-2011, 07:06 PM
never hunted with mine, just use it occasionally for the range. I almost always hunt with sitting height shooting sticks, unless I'm in the timber

mrshananagans
11-07-2011, 08:13 PM
well im goin to be going to alberta in 2 days and im not sure what kind of terrain its gonna be. I imagine im gonna be able to see for miles. I havent been out shooting that much and im just afraid im gonna be bobbing up and down once im aiming down the sights at that big buck.

Mr. Dean
11-07-2011, 11:14 PM
well im goin to be going to alberta in 2 days and im not sure what kind of terrain its gonna be. I imagine im gonna be able to see for miles. I havent been out shooting that much and im just afraid im gonna be bobbing up and down once im aiming down the sights at that big buck.

Good chance you'll be covering ground and I'd probably opt for some sticks, just to keep the weight down.

Just so you know - True, Albertan Hunters REGULARLY whack their bucks from 3 click's out, regardless of hunting method..... Them Fella's are Bad-Azzed Shooters. :razz:

pmj
11-07-2011, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=dino;1012302]I use a 9-27" . Its all about the style of hunting you do. I like the taller bipod because I can sit down and shoot any angle uphill or down. The short bipods cant get the rifle above the grass or brush. its all about style of hunting, QUOTE]

x2. I have the 9"-27" Harris. I have only used it in the alpine. It feels ackward to carry so it does not go with me on "bush" hunts.

kishman
11-08-2011, 03:05 AM
I also have the Harris 9-27" on my Coyote gun (Weatherby .22/250). I like it on the 'yote gun because I'm generally stationary waiting for my Foxpro/Decoy combo to work it's magic. I tried that bi-pod on my Deer gun last year, it was nice to be able to set my gun down wherever I liked and not worry about it falling or whatever. But it definitly was more of a pain shouldering it through the bush.

shaydog65
11-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Somebody mentioned the Primos Trigger Stick.

I've been carrying around a tall primos trigger stick monopod most of this season. It was super handy for stability while traversing logs, going up and down steep terrain and made a sweet standing binoc rest. I also found it to be very inconvenient. At times I would bump a rock and make a metallic noise, or bump your shouldered gun, and it takes away a hand which in turn causes you to be more clumsy/ loud. Not to mention that it DOESN'T work in sub zero temperatures. The trigger freezes and the tubes stick together causing it to be frozen at whatever height you left it.

I would give it a thumbs up for bringing to a stand, blind, or any time you plan to do a prolonged sit in above freezing temp. It gives you the benefit of pivoting in any direction from where you are sitting to make a shot. That being said, a natural rest is usually more stable then a monopod.

I'm giving it the thumbs down on hiking/stalking. If you can make a 100 yard standing shot you don't need it, otherwise hopefully you can get down on your pack or find a rest without spooking your target.

I could see it's usefulness in open country hunting where rests are hard to come by, and shots are typically at distance.

my 2c

wos
11-08-2011, 08:58 AM
For me a bi-pod has become an important part of my gear. I have a lightweight detachable one made by stoney point I love it because you just clip it on when you sit down to watch a area and put it in your pack when hiking around.

dino
11-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I also have the Harris 9-27" on my Coyote gun (Weatherby .22/250). I like it on the 'yote gun because I'm generally stationary waiting for my Foxpro/Decoy combo to work it's magic. I tried that bi-pod on my Deer gun last year, it was nice to be able to set my gun down wherever I liked and not worry about it falling or whatever. But it definitly was more of a pain shouldering it through the bush.

you need to try using the safari sling, its the only to go.

eaglesnester
11-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I use anything that will give me an advantage in the field. A bipod can be a useful tool and they can be a bit of a pain at the same time. If you spend the money on one and find that it is a pain to use in the field, you can always use it to zero your rifle when at the range while sitting or in prone position. I use a simple lightweight pair of short shooting sticks that I made. They are just the right length for the sitting position. They are so light that I hardly know I am even carrying them yet they steady my rifle very well.

Squire
11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
[QUOTE=dino;1012302]I use a 9-27" . Its all about the style of hunting you do. I like the taller bipod because I can sit down and shoot any angle uphill or down. The short bipods cant get the rifle above the grass or brush. its all about style of hunting, QUOTE]

x2. I have the 9"-27" Harris. I have only used it in the alpine. It feels ackward to carry so it does not go with me on "bush" hunts.

x3. A lot of 'knowledgeable' hunters will tell you they can shoot just as well off their backpack. I call bullshit; once you've had to make 300 yard plus shots without and then with a bipod you'll wonder how you got by without it. I carry mine in my pack until I hit the high country then put it on up there. It goes on easy and tightens with a quarter. I never bother bringing it on my later hunts in the timber.

Livewire322
11-18-2011, 08:56 PM
depends what type of hunting your doing... for predator hunting i like having a bi-pod of something to stabilize with... if im road hunting or stalking its just extra weight, i rarely have time for any rest, let alone a bi-pod.