PDA

View Full Version : No rut on yet

Tack243
11-06-2011, 06:45 PM
I was out this evening and was excited to see a 4 point Mule deer at about 70 yds,unfortunately he never presented a shot so I continued on my way only to run into 6 does comely eating grass 40 yd from me. I think the rut is late this year in the East Kootaneys.
Cheers

tomahawk
11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
It may not look like it from what you saw today but trust me its brewing!!

fyffer
11-06-2011, 07:20 PM
i have seen just driving in sooke 5 bucks this weekend, one 6 by 6 in a yard. i need to get my pal so I can go hunt these guys

dave_fras
11-06-2011, 08:07 PM
i passed up 2 4x4s this weekend... and one im regreting haha... i passed the second one up this evening... he was a battle worn buck tho!.. he would have been a 4x4 but he was busted off on his right side.. and he only had 2 left! i feel kinda bad not shooting him since he was limping very bad too! im gonna head back to the area again tomorrow and see if i can find the buck that tied a whoppin on him! they sure are rutted up and stinky tho!

cumminsforever
11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Saw a nice palmed out 4x5 mule deer yesterday. On private property of course but his neck was swollen right up and he had 5 does with him.

todbartell
11-06-2011, 11:29 PM
I wonder what this guy is up to at 3am?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/300587_10150366433577992_512917991_8400714_6211054 60_n.jpg

fireguy
11-07-2011, 01:56 AM
The rut is on for some I think, I had a small 4 point this morning close to a couple does, a solo 4 point and a solo 2 point and a small 2 point that thought he was going to get some from a doe. None of the bucks were swollen up that much and I saw a few solo does wandering about as well. Only the 2 point was acting like it was rut time but he wandered off from the doe after a while as well.

hunter1947
11-07-2011, 04:00 AM
I don't know about the mule deer but I do know that the WT have not started to rut as of yet..

bridger
11-07-2011, 06:25 AM
was at the cabin this week quiet for mulies rut but saw three fresh whitetail scrapes and some fresh rubs so things are starting to pick up

cariboobill
11-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Hey Boys here in the south Cariboo I had two Bucks chasing the does around the yard all weekend with their nose low for sent. When I went to lockup the chickens last night the bucks and does were bedded. Both these bucks are young. I supect the little 1 spike is 1 1/2 years old and the other a real nice wide 2 point is around 2 1/2. We usually get the bigs boys starting this week in the yard looking and chasing the other little guys out. In any case the smaller bucks are in heat for sure here. But the little button Buck with the does has no idea whats going on.

Time to get ready for the Rut.

CB

lilhoss
11-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Was up high in the snow on Saturday,about 6 inches,and all we saw was 4 different buck marks.They were meandering down from the timber,on the old slash roads,back and forth with fresh rubs and bark,etc on top of the snow.They are moving down looking for the girls for sure.Saw two single does,all by there lonesome right now.Might just have to start playin' hookey and take a few "rain days" off.

GoatGuy
11-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Well, looks like all the fawns are going to be born late next spring.

Hopefully the bucks will start rutting soon.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::roll:

Husky7mm
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Dont forget the elk and moose will also be born late next yr too.:lol:

r106
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
here it's been a late summer and a late fall so maybe the animals are thinking late winter ( or long winter seems to be the word on the street) and late spring.

Stumpy
11-07-2011, 01:24 PM
What is funny is that the 'Rut' has been occuring at the same date & time for the last 1000yrs or so (Giver or take a day) ...............gee whiz maybe this is the year that all the deer are going to change their mind and have a late one? Have fun with that!

GoatGuy
11-07-2011, 02:06 PM
here it's been a late summer and a late fall so maybe the animals are thinking late winter ( or long winter seems to be the word on the street) and late spring.

Should try that around the house and see how the wife manages.

Husky7mm
11-07-2011, 02:56 PM
I am sure the mulies have been doing the dirty deed for about 10 days already. See those bucks that you havent seen in september and most of october all the sudden. See those tracks in the snow that are bigger and are dragging a bit, mixed up with thoses little doe and fawn tracks. Be it hot, be it cold, be it a full moon, ect..... those deer will be breeding, just not all on the same day, and thank goodness for that LOL

LukaTisus
11-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Rustled up a group of 9 mulie does today, sat and watched them real close for 20 minutes, and not a buck in sight. Was weird! There was a wolf on 'em, though.. another hunter further up the ridge took a crack at it.

dave_fras
11-08-2011, 06:53 AM
im heading to lumby to hunt some private property that hasnt been hunted in 8 years!!! anyone know if the whiteys are starting to rut up at all?... im sure its still kinda early tho

Tack243
11-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I was out last night and found a nice little saddle area so I sat and watched a couple of does. They were joined by 5 more does and about one hour before sunset there were a total of 14 does out in front of me at about 80 yds. I was happy to see they were all in good shape and finally had the opportunity to see this Guy walk right past me at 50 yds.....unfortunatly only a 3 point.
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc509/tack243/3point-1.jpg

GoatGuy
11-08-2011, 07:40 AM
im heading to lumby to hunt some private property that hasnt been hunted in 8 years!!! anyone know if the whiteys are starting to rut up at all?... im sure its still kinda early tho

Out checking spots on Sun. Lots of rubs and scrapes... Just like every year bucks will be out on the prowl.

jdmck
11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
shot a heavy bodied 4x3 yesterday he had 4 girls with him

finngun
11-08-2011, 01:46 PM
is w-t s. and mulies rut around same time?

Night Hawk 3
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Was in 3-57 (Alberta) just last week and it would seem to me that things are running a little later this year than last year. Mulies are still in bachelor groups, and only a few younger WTs prowling around. The big guys are only out at night right now.

Elk were late this year in the Dawson Creek and Clayhurst area. Moose... who knows, but I suspect they were late too given what we saw.

Haven't been going out for BT this year yet.

NH3

pappy
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I watched a medium sized 3 point mulie follow a doe this morning. He had a fat neck and was sniffing towards her, she just kept on trotting away from him. Once he clued in that I was there, he slowly made his way to the brush.

JIL_24/7
11-08-2011, 02:55 PM
What region jd?

cmarrie
11-08-2011, 03:40 PM
In Region 8 this past weekend...glassing for a WT buck...no luck, but saw some cool Muley action. Big 4 point with swollen neck tending 3 does (I'm tagged out for reg. 8 Muley's, so not a shooter for me). Another 2 pt. chasing 3 does all over the place. Also saw a fawn trying to mount another fawn...so I guess it's kicked in for Muley's around here.

Trapper D
11-09-2011, 09:46 AM
this morning sitting on the porch , waiting for the kids to get ready for school , I called a spiker right up to within 15 feet of the front porch. I had to shoo him away, as the kids were ready to get in the truck. He had no concern for me as he had his nose to the ground, like a dog looking for a spot to pee.lol Tail erect , mind was gone. pretty desparate looking deer. maybe this is a secondary rut for campbell river city bucks, as i read last week they were at it ,down at the beaver lodge lands. I used buck tending grunt , with young doe estrus bleat can call.

johnk
11-09-2011, 11:37 AM
Was in 3-57 (Alberta) just last week and it would seem to me that things are running a little later this year than last year. Mulies are still in bachelor groups, and only a few younger WTs prowling around. The big guys are only out at night right now.

Elk were late this year in the Dawson Creek and Clayhurst area. Moose... who knows, but I suspect they were late too given what we saw.

Haven't been going out for BT this year yet.

NH3

I'll be in 3-49 (Alberta) this afternoon. I think the moose were right on schedule this year. Called out my draw bull on October 2nd.

Wrayzer
11-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Watched a 3point Muley Nov. 1 with his nose up a does rear end. Haven't seen a buck since.

Ltbullken
11-10-2011, 06:44 AM
I was out this evening and was excited to see a 4 point Mule deer at about 70 yds,unfortunately he never presented a shot so I continued on my way only to run into 6 does comely eating grass 40 yd from me. I think the rut is late this year in the East Kootaneys.
Cheers

Was the buck in close proximity/in the area to the does? If so, the rut is probably more active than you think!

Ltbullken
11-10-2011, 06:46 AM
If his neck is thick and heavy looking and the tarsals appear dark and greasy, the boy's in rut!

Tack243
11-10-2011, 08:47 AM
Was the buck in close proximity/in the area to the does? If so, the rut is probably more active than you think!

He was all by himself and looking straight at me, no does at all. I tried to get to a spot away from the truck but he deiced to have no part of that and vacated the area faster than Santa up a stove pipe. The next day I saw another hunter dragging a buck to wards his truck........I think I missed my chance on that one.
Cheers

Looking_4_Jerky
11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Although the rut may be more intense at certain times in Nov, you shouldn't overlook any opportunity to hunt any time during the pre-rut, rut, post-rut and second rut. Basically, that window is from late Oct to mid Dec. Not to say that it's all equal, but changes in large bucks' cagey behaviour can make them more vulnerable to hunting at any time in that period.

Even if the rut is not as intense this week as it will be next (which you really have no way of knowing), are you willing to miss the opportunity to go out this week anticipating that next week will be so much better? I guess what I'm saying is, if someone were able to conclusively say that this week the rut is at 60% of it's peak activity, what would that change on the hunters's part? For me, nothing, I would go out and employ rut-related strategies at any point I could during this timeframe, and if I just couldn't swing it, I just couldn't.

GoatGuy
11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
He was all by himself and looking straight at me, no does at all. I tried to get to a spot away from the truck but he deiced to have no part of that and vacated the area faster than Santa up a stove pipe. The next day I saw another hunter dragging a buck to wards his truck........I think I missed my chance on that one.
Cheers
Just because a buck isn't with does when you spot him doesn't mean the rut isn't happening.

It isn't like a buffet where are the does line up and wait to be serviced........

Ruger4
11-10-2011, 05:10 PM
It isn't like a buffet where are the does' line up and wait to be serviced........

oh no here come the Surrey jokes !!!

Tack243
11-10-2011, 06:19 PM
If his neck is thick and heavy looking and the tarsals appear dark and greasy, the boy's in rut!

Close encounters of the third kind I see.

r106
11-10-2011, 06:45 PM
out in region 3 yesturday say a big 3X3 he had a huge neck

dave_fras
11-10-2011, 06:55 PM
i passed on a nice 3x4 mule with my bow this evening... he had 6 does with him! but i know theres some bigger ones in the area... i just hope they will still be around when bow opens back up!... i have my fingers crossed that i didnt screw up by passing up 3 nice 4 points in the past 5 days hahaha

fireguy
11-10-2011, 07:30 PM
i passed on a nice 3x4 mule with my bow this evening... he had 6 does with him! but i know theres some bigger ones in the area... i just hope they will still be around when bow opens back up!... i have my fingers crossed that i didnt screw up by passing up 3 nice 4 points in the past 5 days hahaha

I'm with you on that as well, I passed up five 4 points so far this year, one 3 times, still looking for something a bit better in archery season.

uraarchr
11-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Shot a 4 pt mulie in reg 3 today .He stunk,his neck was swollen and he came in grunting about 10 min after I did some grunting.Came straight to me and I shot him at about 25 yds.

dave_fras
11-13-2011, 12:01 PM
ya i got a nice 6x4 mule with my bow out near kamloops.. got him with my bow on some private property... he was rutted right up also! then i was hunting whiteys this morning on some private property in region 8 and i came across 2 nice mule bucks fighting over a few does!... ive got pics but my gf has the camera in her car! ill post some tonight.. so sign of rutting whiteys tho:(

cainer
11-13-2011, 12:14 PM
4x4 mulie in region 3 taken a couple days ago. He was s-t-i-n-k-y! huge neck and chasin a 2 point all over the place. I'd say somethings happening right now. He looked like an old beaten bruiser too. Go get'em boys.