PDA

View Full Version : Is it wrong

arrow assassin
11-06-2011, 01:56 PM
while out hunting with a friend we were both walking the same path. He spotted a buck and whispered for me to stop. so I stopped and he raised his gun, but didnt shoot. instead we both re-positioned and drew our guns in the same direction. I could see the buck for a second but lost him in the trees. after a minute he re appeared and I had a broad side shot. so i took it. my friend was very upset and accused me of "stealing" his shot. was I wrong to shoot because he saw it first. were splitting the meat like we always do but I get the rack. I need some hunter feedback here.

little moose
11-06-2011, 02:03 PM
tough one , in my group as long as you have a tag take the shot. but if its a 150 class or bigger we allways have plane in place . Anything discussed bfore hand ?

Jelvis
11-06-2011, 02:06 PM
You committed the Cardinal sin and broke your partners trust in you as a team player by taking the buck without giving him a chance to see it, you could have called him over and said, Look there it is buddy, right there, take the shot friend, I'd rather see you have the joy of getting that buck then myself.
Now he prolly won't respect you as a fair hunting partner now but an adversary trying to make him look stoopid, and in a way you did just that. I hope you dint smile when you told him you nailed that big racked buck. You rubbed salt into the open rift now.
You better be good with the remorse and never, never try that stunt again with him.
Jel .. Lot's of deer in BC but few real good hunting partners .. Too late to apologize :twisted:

Caveman
11-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Were you side by side? If you're the only one with the clear view, take the shot, he's not gonna stand there long and may not provide another opportunity.

darrin6109
11-06-2011, 02:10 PM
your wrong as far as i am concerned unless he gave you the green light.

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 02:18 PM
There a re a coupel of different thoughts on this topic....Some guys say "He who spots it shoots it" some think that it's better that who shoots is not as important as having meat on the ground. Some guys take turns, regardless who spots it. And there are lots of other ways to determine who shoots, too...

Unless you had a pre arranged agreement, it's hard to say who is correct. If your buddy seriously has his panties in a bunch, just apologize, tell him you didn't know any better and that from now on you guys will decide on a plan BEFORE spotting an animal. Unless you don't leik him anyway, and then this is a good excuse to not hunt with him anymore. :)

scoutlt1
11-06-2011, 02:20 PM
You committed the Cardinal sin and broke your partners trust in you as a team player by taking the buck without giving him a chance to see it, you could have called him over and said, Look there it is buddy, right there, take the shot friend, I'd rather see you have the joy of getting that buck then myself.
Now he prolly won't respect you as a fair hunting partner now but an adversary trying to make him look stoopid, and in a way you did just that. I hope you dint smile when you told him you nailed that big racked buck. You rubbed salt into the open rift now.
You better be good with the remorse and never, never try that stunt again with him.
Jel .. Lot's of deer in BC but few real good hunting partners .. Too late to apologize :twisted:

X2 well said!

bearass
11-06-2011, 02:22 PM
All depends on the hunting party I guess. In ours its who ever shoots it shoots it. Would your buddy have said you should have shot it if it got away and you told him you had a clean shot at the buck? He should be happy for you There is no I in team . Would you be happy for him if the roles were reversed?

hunter1993ap
11-06-2011, 02:24 PM
i would say you were not wrong for shooting it. if you had specified before you went out who spots it shoots it then that would be a different story. and by the sounds of the story it happened prety fast and if you didnt shoot the deer could have got away with neither of you guys shooting it.

jeff
11-06-2011, 02:27 PM
ive had the same issue numberous times ..i was in the same boat as u .. in my eyes u did the right thing.to many times the animals got away while waiting for the partner to either spot it or get a clean shot

pnbrock
11-06-2011, 02:29 PM
hunting alone is a lot less drama.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-06-2011, 02:30 PM
for me, i would have been happy that you shot the deer, knowing full well by the time i get over to where you are, the deer is most lightly going to take off. Also the friend has to remember that mistakes happen, and what are his priority's?
friendship is much more of important value than a hunting deer.

besides there is always next year.

6 K
11-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Tuff call,
Definately a classic exsample of why it is important to discuss things ahead of time.
Hope you can sort it out.

sarg
11-06-2011, 02:40 PM
in my eyes and my hunting partner eyes its whoever has a shot takes the shot, who cares who pull the trigger its all about meat on the ground, if ur partner has a big problem with it maybe he should hunt solo. u did nothing wrong.
sarg :)

Darksith
11-06-2011, 02:41 PM
If you were hunting with me, I would simply be happy for you. I have no problems with someone pulling the trigger even if I spot an animal first. In my eyes a trip that bags an animal, big or small is a success, I don't need to be the one pulling the trigger. So IMO you did nothing wrong. That being said there are a lot of peeps that won't see it the same way.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-06-2011, 02:42 PM
in my eyes and my hunting partner eyes its whoever has a shot takes the shot, who cares who pull the trigger its all about meat on the ground, if ur partner has a big problem with it maybe he should hunt solo. u did nothing wrong.
sarg :)

x2 what sarg says :)

betteroffishing
11-06-2011, 02:43 PM
take the bloody shot and tell buddy to quit his whining. meat in the reezer is a good thing. all that said applies with the only exeption being if the above mentioned conversation took place, and if the above mentioned conversation did take place , what are you doing hunting with such an insecure person in the first place ??? same situation happenned at moose camp a couple years ago{ not to me } my bro and a good buddy { who hadnt harvested anything in is life at that point} were on a day trip to a new corner of the unit we were hunting , buddy sees a buck which promptly moves into a position he couldnt see , my bro has a shot so bang flop. buddy was disapointed , but there were no hard feelings and all parties were quite happy to see meat hanging from the pole.

M.Dean
11-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Shit Happens! If it wasn't a huge, record book buck and you shot it so you two could share the meat, who cares who killed it! But, if it was me that spotted a 189 Mule Deer with his nose up a Does tush and you shot it, I'd hire a Huge Korean guy to cut you in little pieces and eat your flesh while you were still alive! But I wasn't there, so enjoy the steaks, maybe phone your buddy and get him over for a nice Deer Roast dinner or something and talk about who should shoot what on your next hunting adventure, and when! And a bit of sound advise, don't buy a big bottle of whiskey when he drops by to talk about the next trip, sure as hell one of you guys will lose a eye in the knife fight on your front lawn just after you two down the last drink in the bottle!!! Good Luck!

rollingrock
11-06-2011, 02:50 PM
I usually won't get involved into this type of discussion. But in this case I would say you were wrong. You at least had the opportunity of notifying him that you had a good view and letting him give you an OK. The only ones who wouldn't mind would be your father or your brother.

fearnodeer
11-06-2011, 02:52 PM
When i go hunting with other people it's called a hunting party, so no matter who shoots it we all celebrate after cause we all get a share and are happy for the one that shot it. If you had not had been there would he even had a second chance ? I'd have no problem hunting with you because it's not who shoots it's all about the hunt, we hunt as a team.

jeff
11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I usually won't get involved into this type of discussion. But in this case I would say you were wrong. You at least had the opportunity of notifying him that you had a good view and letting him give you an OK. The only ones who wouldn't mind would be your father or your brother.

your father or brother,,what kinda logic is that.... sometimes theres one chance for the kill ..would u rather the deer get away or worse have a bullet in the ass from a shitty shot ..he did the right thing

Darksith
11-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I can't believe what some people are saying...

cheers to all that say take that shot, for all those that think he did something wrong or should have asked...get real. Better to have a deer down than go home empty b/c you were worried about whos deer it should have been while it runs off.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-06-2011, 02:58 PM
I can't believe what some people are saying...

cheers to all that say take that shot, for all those that think he did something wrong or should have asked...get real. Better to have a deer down than go home empty b/c you were worried about whos deer it should have been while it runs off.

i agree, if i'm hunting with someone, we are a team, he or she who can take the first shot does and whoever does not is happy for the other person. finding your quarry together is for me more important than who takes the shot.

rollingrock
11-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Now it comes down to the definition of 'hunting'. I don't call it a party when I go out hunting. I'm dead serious with my hunting trip and result oriented. I will try my best for a result. If nothing happens, at least I've tried. I always give the credit to the spotter of making the first shot. He spotted it, and you didn't. Without him you would have had sh!t. Period.

jeff
11-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Now it comes down to the definition of 'hunting'. I don't call it a party when I go out hunting. I'm dead serious with my hunting trip and result oriented. I will try my best for a result. If nothing happens, at least I've tried. I always give the credit to the spotter of making the first shot. He spotted it, and you didn't. Without him you would have had sh!t. Period.

we see that your a ALL ABOUT ME kinda guy

rollingrock
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
your father or brother,,what kinda logic is that.... sometimes theres one chance for the kill ..would u rather the deer get away or worse have a bullet in the ass from a shitty shot ..he did the right thing

I think I've made my point very clear. Maybe we're of different generations and breeds. So I'm not going to argue with you.

cloverphil
11-06-2011, 03:08 PM
I think I've made my point very clear. Maybe we're of different generations and breeds. So I'm not going to argue with you.
hey rollingrock, it seems clear from the past few months that jeff likes to sidetrack threads to argue with other guys points of view

check his record you'll see its a waste of time . . .

jeff
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
hey rollingrock, it seems clear from the past few months that jeff likes to sidetrack threads to argue with other guys points of view

check his record you'll see its a waste of time . . .

**next ban is permanent, Jeff. Quit using insults.

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 03:11 PM
As I said, there are a number of different thoughts on this sort of thing.......

Without a prior plan or understanding, there really is no "right " or "wrong"

sledforever
11-06-2011, 03:21 PM
first one to see it gets right of refusal.

shelg
11-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Little tip, picking a hunting partner is like picking a wife. If you don't get the right one it is going to get ugly! Sounds like a divorce is coming!

270WIN
11-06-2011, 03:23 PM
SH*t happens. YOur tags filled now go out and find your buddie a deer. you did nothing wrong.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-06-2011, 03:27 PM
i like hunting by myself. if i shoot before i give myself first refusal, i get real angry at myself ...

just sayin :mrgreen:

BOMBER77
In our group... no matter who spotted it first, he who has a shot, takes the shot... then we celebrate!!! its all about getting game and having a good experience...

Jonas111
My brothers and cousins and I go on a annual hunting trip and this happens quite often. In my honest opinion if you didn't make prior plans before heading out then your buddy should be happy for you. Maybe a little jealous, yes, but still happy the deer is down.

Don't you all think it's better down then it getting away. If it was me in your buddies shoes I would be happy. At least I would be able to see the size of the rack I spotted. Jealous and envious but still pleased with the end result.

Mr. Dean
11-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Jeez. If your hunting together, your together - What difference does it make???
From what I can tell, He's being pissy over rack rights.... Saw it in half.

Then next year, remember:

hunting alone has a lot less drama.

You don't need the 'tude, Dude.....

Barracuda
11-06-2011, 03:31 PM
if you disregarded an agreement and shot the deer from under him it was and is a pretty scummy and selfish thing to do.

if you both agreed whoever has the best shot takes it before hand that is one thing but it does not sound like it.

if the deal was whoever sees it gets the chance to stalk it and hopefully shoot it then you betrayed your partners trust.

sorry but it does sound like your in the wrong .

what kind of an experience is that to not be able to trust a friend?

Sitkaspruce
11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Its a friggin deer, who really cares who shoots it, the big thing is....did you enjoy the hunt??

Getting meat in the freezer is what it is all about, who cares who shoots or tags it.....and the bonus for your partner is that he still has two tags to your one, so he still has two chances to shoot a couple more deer.

I cannot believe that people will argue and throw friendship out the window over the shooting of an animal. I wonder if we are own worst enemies when it comes to hunting....upset over who shoots the animal.......wow

Now if it was a top 5 buck/bull/ram, then different story....:wink::mrgreen:

Cheers

SS

DropTines
11-06-2011, 03:34 PM
how about we see some pictures of the buck

Z71
11-06-2011, 03:36 PM
The way I was introduced to group hunting was that everyone involved got their fair share of all game taken, no matter who shot it and cut their tag on it. If there were four of us then the object was to get four deer. If anyone in the group got pissy about not getting their chance to shoot then they were not invited back. Consideration was always given to new hunters or inexperienced ones. They were always teamed up with someone with more experience and I always gave my buddy the first chance at anything we saw. It was easy for me because I already have my "wall hanger" and could always get another chance at shooting a buck over in the next region or later in the season.

Since it sounds like you guys didn't have a plan in place outlining the "rules" on who the shooter would be, you were right to drop it. Share the meat with him and work together to get the next one. Double your production. At the very least it's a good learning experience for you to take charge of the gameplan next year or next trip.

It's just like dividing up the camp chores. Some guys love to keep the woodpile fully stocked up and tend the fire. Some guys love to be the cook and dish up some awesome meals everyday. Other guys like to keep it simple and just relax. Find a balance you can live with. If not then tell your "friend" to suck it up and go it alone.

Jonas111
11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
how about we see some pictures of the buck

That's a great idea.

wos
11-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Get the lead out! who cares who spotted it one quick bounce and the deer could be gone for good.

scoutlt1
11-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Interesting thread.
Years ago I started hunting with a good guy. He'd been hunting for years and killed lots of game. We talked/discussed what we would do in a situation much like this one. (We always agreed that if we hunted together we would share the meat) He always said, "you take the shot if it's there". After my first kill, (which incidentally wasn't while I was hunting with him), and we were chatting by the fire, somehow this subject came up. I said "ok, how do you wanna hunt now?" (or something like that :-) ) ...and very quickly and easily we came up with "whoever spots it first, takes the shot".
Is this the "right" way? no idea, but it works for us when we hunt together.
Ultimately, when you hunt in a group (I think), work/talk it all out before something like this comes up. It's not that complicated, do whatever works for all of you.
All said though, if my hunting partner "saw it first", I'd do whatever I could to make sure he got the shot and the kill....just my $.02 worth...

moose2
11-06-2011, 03:48 PM
If you hadn't shot and the buck had got away do you think your buddy would of asked you why you did not shoot. I am guessing he would have, if so you did the right thing. If he would have said "thanks for letting that buck go so nethier of us got him and you didn't show me up" its time for a new partner. A simple plan before heading out saves alot of problems.
Mike

Barracuda
11-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Too many people use the meat on the ground excuse for shooting game from under people like its a fast draw contest or even worse shooting on others tags or other such nonsense.
Meat on the ground is a piss poor excuse for questionable actions no matter how its divided.

make some ground rules and stick to them.

holymoly
11-06-2011, 03:55 PM

AHHHHHH!!!! Boooboooobooooooo. I'm reminded of my 3 year old daughter, only she can spell 'stoopid' properly.

It all depends on the circumstances. If it would have meant a missed opportunity for both of you, take the shot.

After all, you're splitting the meat. And there are pleanty more racks to be had, remember what it's all about.

krazy
11-06-2011, 03:59 PM
I'd really like to see what all this fuss is about ... just how big is this buck anyway?

nomad
11-06-2011, 04:05 PM
hard scenarios cross our pathes occasionally. We make good choices and bad choices. Friends forgive and are worth talking to. In the big picture alot of time is wasted quibbling over little things. Just talk about the situation that happened and get past it!! I think many of us have had situations like this, myself I can count a few that nearly ended a friendship, for what? Pride? Suck it up and make a plan to understand each others intentions for the next time. Cheers and always happy hunting, Nomad

abbyfireguy
11-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Its all about communication before the trip. Talk about the "what ifs". We always have plenty of time in the truck on the way to our hunts to talk about every subject under the sun . Go through different "what if" scenarios ,it really helps when crap happens and you don't have to have a U.N. convention as the animal gets tired of waiting to be shot and walks away.
Decide on a few things before the fact. Thats why I have hunted with the same guys for over 30 years.
COMMUNICATION!!! Leave the attitude at home with the wife and kids!!!

Oops,thats gonna get a whack when she sees it or I get ratted out!! LOL

yukon john
11-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Anyone who cares isn't worth hunting with, with a good partner you succeed or fail together, more than likely you would have lost the buck if you would have waited

Alpine Addict
11-06-2011, 04:30 PM
I usually just scream GRIZZLY so Yukon John turns around, then I drop the 40" ram or 180 buck.

frenchbar
11-06-2011, 04:37 PM
if you have a problem with a hunting partner with the scenario you laid out ...you need to find a NEW one imo .

r106
11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
SH*t happens. YOur tags filled now go out and find your buddie a deer. you did nothing wrong.

If your buddy didn't have a shot then you take it. Isn't that why you were hunting as a pair? But if I saw it first and had a shot I would be a little pissed but i'd get over it. Next time talk it over who gets to shoot first.

Nothings worse than a hunting partner thats only about getting a deer for them self. Go and help him get a deer. If he is really pissed off then give him his half and don't invite him hunting anymore

r106
11-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Its all about communication before the trip. Talk about the "what ifs". We always have plenty of time in the truck on the way to our hunts to talk about every subject under the sun . Go through different "what if" scenarios ,it really helps when crap happens and you don't have to have a U.N. convention as the animal gets tired of waiting to be shot and walks away.
Decide on a few things before the fact. Thats why I have hunted with the same guys for over 30 years.
COMMUNICATION!!! Leave the attitude at home with the wife and kids!!!

Oops,thats gonna get a whack when she sees it or I get ratted out!! LOL

X2 Well put

budismyhorse
11-06-2011, 04:47 PM
What are you two walking hand in hand for if you don't have these things ironed out already? Good partners know what to expect in a hunt....

That being said.... A tenth of a second to say you have a shot would have prevented this scene... Likely the buck would have screwed off but the rest of the day wouldn't be ruined by tense air between you guys. In the end it's just a piece of meat.... Don't sweat it

If he is bent out of shape cause he didn't get to burn powder..... Likely a partner to forget anyways. Deer are easy to come by...partners are not.

Marlin375
11-06-2011, 05:00 PM
I would never pull the trigger on a deer that was spotted by my hunting partner, I would back him up with a second shot if required.
If we were side by side I would need the green light. How long does it take for you to tell him you have a clear shot, and for him to say "go".
Particularly if the deer is just walking along feeding in the timber or through cover and not aware of you. If it breaks and bolts away then sure first one with a shot takes it.
Communication is the key and it sounds like you guys have not been hunting together very much or you would have crossed this bridge before or at least talked about it.

Barracuda
11-06-2011, 05:05 PM
So what were the ground rules beforehand? if you both had tags then what had you decided on?

ravensfoot
11-06-2011, 05:16 PM
The way I was introduced to group hunting was that everyone involved got their fair share of all game taken, no matter who shot it and cut their tag on it. If there were four of us then the object was to get four deer. If anyone in the group got pissy about not getting their chance to shoot then they were not invited back. Consideration was always given to new hunters or inexperienced ones. They were always teamed up with someone with more experience and I always gave my buddy the first chance at anything we saw. It was easy for me because I already have my "wall hanger" and could always get another chance at shooting a buck over in the next region or later in the season.

Since it sounds like you guys didn't have a plan in place outlining the "rules" on who the shooter would be, you were right to drop it. Share the meat with him and work together to get the next one. Double your production. At the very least it's a good learning experience for you to take charge of the gameplan next year or next trip.

It's just like dividing up the camp chores. Some guys love to keep the woodpile fully stocked up and tend the fire. Some guys love to be the cook and dish up some awesome meals everyday. Other guys like to keep it simple and just relax. Find a balance you can live with. If not then tell your "friend" to suck it up and go it alone.

I was looking for a way to respond as I feel this is a great topic. I read through a bunch of the replies and feel I couldn't have said it better than Z71. This is exactly how it is in my group of 25 years hunting together. What's done is done, bring it up again with your buddy and agree that from now on you will discuss the situation before hitting the bush so that you can put the issue behind you. Rock paper scissors... Now get out and hunt. I call shotgun!!

westview
11-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Well you shot first. Your buddy is upset. Say your sorry you offended him, and tell him it won't happen again, most men don't cry, for too long. If your hunting partner was a lady, your in trouble.

untilthelastbeat
11-06-2011, 05:40 PM
so wheres the pics of the buck???

arrow assassin
11-06-2011, 05:49 PM
thank you to all that responded. the insight of the experienced hunters on this sight is greatly appreciated. No we didnt have a pre determined plan for this scenario. I felt incredible right untill I seen the look on his face. the rack is no wall hanger, but a nice 3x3.that I'm proud of. obviosly there is a lesson to be learned here on communication with my partner. and no I have no pictures to post as he had the only camera and didnt offer up a photo session.

palmer
11-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Its a DEER ....if you are good friends there will be many more in your hunting lives....lots more important things to argue about ..a deer is not one...buy him a beer and move on...

swampthing
11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
I am of the whoever sees it shoots it group. I expect my partner to keep his rifle shouldered if I am trying to take an animal. If I dont want the animal that I spotted I will offer it to my partner and keep my rifle shouldered. I also believe you should never approach an animal someone has shot before he does. If you are closer to it, let your partner catch up and get to it first. I hunt alone most of the time to avoid this kind of thing.

Jagermeister
11-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Did he have the shot? If he did, then he should have taken it. However, if you were as close to him as it seems, then you should have waited until he gave you the go ahead. Your lack of discretion may have cost you a hunting partner.

pete_k
Sounds like you never got the go ahead. You screwed up. Maybe lost a friend.
That's one of the reasons I hunt alone.

springpin

You got that right!

Jelvis
11-06-2011, 06:17 PM
arrowed assassin I 'd like to hear about this question and that you couldn't have figured out beforehand that, "That Look On His Face." was going to be there before you threw your rifle up and let one fly at the buck he showed you, so he could adjust his position into a spot to shoot, and your bangin away!?!? cuz the buck saw you moving with your rifle and started to get nervous and bailed. IMHO.
If there was snow or if it was dry does not matter you failed the test of partnership and that's a big ship you put a hole in. Suck it up Princess. Randy (the Natural)coture
Jp .. When Chuck Norris rides into the sunset, the sun is actually running from him ...

The Dude
11-06-2011, 06:18 PM
The level of irate-itude of a hunting partner getting a buck shot out from "under" him is directly proportional to that buck's Boone and Crockett score, and INVERSELY proportional to the number of animals he's taken in his life.
So either it was a helluva buck or he hasn't shot that many.
You get over it, in time.
Now a 170+ class buck, wellllll...........Finders friggin KEEPERS, I say! :D

Jelvis
11-06-2011, 06:27 PM
If it was a record BC book typical mule buck of course he's going to understand you shite n yer pants and throwing more copper and lead then Highland Valley.
But a 3x3 and yah couldn't at least give em a second chance?
Jel .. Chuck Norris makes Onions Cry

11-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I would not have shot myself. My hunting partner and I always decide before hand who's day it is to shoot, so we never have an issue.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Sounds like you never got the go ahead. You screwed up. Maybe lost a friend.
That's one of the reasons I hunt alone.

does not seem to be much of friend to me.

takes a real friend to teach, forgive and move on to better hunting. some folk will remain lonely for a long time because they can't forgive due to there BIG pride ....

Ourea
11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
If you guys have a solid relationship this issue should be a non-factor unless you had an agreement or plan in place prior when faced with an opportunity. Most hunters do, some don't. Having said that..... quality friends will always support you, right or wrong, as they put your friendship first and "obstacles' second.
You guys should be both happy over the success you "shared".

wicket
11-06-2011, 06:39 PM
boo hoo for your friend and i probably use that term loosely. you didnt do anything wrong you had a clear shot and took it big deal deer on the ground. If you were hunting with me id slap you on the back and give you an atta boy good shooting tex! being a duck guide i see jealousy wayyyyyyyyyy too much regarding hunting and it personally makes me sick. which is why i i only hunt with my best friend back here in onterrible and my brother in BC. If you cant enjoy shared successes without pissing and moaning about whats perceived to be "mine" then why bother even hunting with other people. so hey for what its worth ATTA BOY GOOD SHOOTIN TEX! and congrats on your deer
thats about all i have to say about that
wicket

Barracuda
11-06-2011, 06:40 PM
This isnt really about just a deer or a buck or meat etc.. this issue is to do with integrity and trust. anyone that cant understand this would make a questionable a friend ,buddy or partner.

It doesnt matter if it were a grouse or a B&C unicorn shooting an animal out from under another hunter is a cheap shot if there ever was one. (sorry couldnt resist )

Asking forgiveness or playing dumb is a common tactic of people that screw others over which make it difficult for a person that makes an honest mistake to be forgiven.

steel_ram
11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Hunting together? Whoever gets the first real shot opportunity should take it. Seeing a deer disappearing out of sight doesn't put your name on it. Don't like it, head off in different directions.

rollingrock
11-06-2011, 06:47 PM
This isnt really about just a deer or a buck or meat etc.. this issue is to do with integrity and trust. anyone that cant understand this would make a questionable a friend ,buddy or partner.

It doesnt matter if it were a grouse or a B&C unicorn shooting an animal out from under another hunter is a cheap shot if there ever was one. (sorry couldnt resist )

Asking forgiveness or playing dumb is a common tactic of people that screw others over which make it difficult for a person that makes an honest mistake to be forgiven.

Exactly! Even with your own father or brother, you probably will have to show some courtesy before you pull the trigger. It's respect and trust.

Jelvis
11-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Next thing he's thinking too, he remembers, hey why are you walking in front of me in a hurry for, like your out front twenty yards and moving along with gun ready what's with that? Trying to get the shot out in front or what? Has that ever happened on this particular hunt?
jp If your partner was really all shook up over it then you should get serious about it.
And do something special for him to show you realize the dum mistake you did to him and maybe that will stoke the fire back in your deer hunting plans for "His Big Four!"
:-D

arrow assassin
11-06-2011, 07:03 PM
we were split up originally. we both hiked in diffrent directions and after time we re- connected. thats why we were together on the same path. Also we are both on our second tag of the season. and I put the question out there to get experienced hunters opinions on it. And jelvis you made yours perfectly clear on your first post. no need for all the rest, my friend may be a pretty serious guy but you have shown me there could be worse hunting partners to have

dukester
11-06-2011, 07:49 PM
You snooze you loose.. OMg come to sask and hunt whitetails fastest gun rules here. come on you are friends, buddies, laugh about his old slow bones and get over it.

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 08:04 PM
If there is no pre arranged plan, then there was no breach of trust. It's that simple.

cameron0518
11-06-2011, 08:43 PM
You absolutely did nothing wrong unless you had a previous arrangement. If the hunt is about getting meat in the deepfreeze, it shouldn't be a big deal. If it is about getting horns, an arrangement should be made prior. Just because you had a shot at it doesn't mean that he would have got a shot as well. Animals are unpredictable and in my opinion whomever has the shot, takes the shot.

Brian011
11-06-2011, 08:47 PM
If you got a shot take it, another split second and the buck may have been gone and nobody would have got him. It shouldn't matter who gets the buck as long as it was a good hunt. Some ppl seem pretty protective of a shot at a deer, I'd be more than happy if someone I was with got a buck that I couldn't get a shot at regardless of how big it is. He still has a tag left so he is still able to keep hunting.

Gun Dog
11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Unless there's some other arragement, if you have the shot take the shot. In our group we share the meat and nobody really cares who takes the shot. Generally we''ll try and set up the new and less experienced hunters just to get their skill and confidence up. We are a group and we share information about what we saw and plan how we should hunt an area. If I wanted to hunt alone I'd hunt alone.

frenchbar
11-06-2011, 08:55 PM
If you got a shot take it, another split second and the buck may have been gone and nobody would have got him. It shouldn't matter who gets the buck as long as it was a good hunt. Some ppl seem pretty protective of a shot at a deer, I'd be more than happy if someone I was with got a buck that I couldn't get a shot at regardless of how big it is. He still has a tag left so he is still able to keep hunting.

well put! thats pretty much how i look at it .

BcBob
11-06-2011, 09:06 PM
You snooze you loose, I would have shot.

CanuckShooter
11-06-2011, 09:21 PM
You snooze you loose, I would have shot.

My sentiments exactly, if you had waited for him to get off a shot and the deer got away he probably would have still been pissed at you for not shooting. Are you sure you want to keep hunting with this fellow??

Barracuda
11-06-2011, 09:40 PM
:lol:isnt it interesting that alot of hunting and the situations we are presented with are on the honour system yet a large part of the hunting population have none .:lol:

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 09:45 PM
:lol:isnt it interesting that alot of hunting and the situations we are presented with are on the honour system yet a large part of the hunting population have none .:lol:

That's pretty unfair in this situation. Seems like a simple misunderstanding, with one person having decided upon pre set rules but not sharing it with the other person.

You can't honour a code of conduct if you are not aware of it.

Shooter
11-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Just gonna throw out another quick little scenario and see if the thoughts are the same.

Driving along you notice movement up on a hillside. The glasses go up and you see the biggest buck you have ever seen. A Booner for sure. You holler out to your buddy "Monster buck!!!" As you bail out of the truck you frantically look for a nearest rest to steady the rifle so you can take the 200 yard shot. There's one! You hustle the few feet it takes to get a good rest and you locate the buck in the scope for a perfect broadside shot. Just as the crosshairs are settling in place you hear the shot ring out. Your buddy just took an offhand shot and missed the buck sending it fleeing over the crest.

Do you tell him good try, we will get the next one?

cumminsforever
11-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I dunno If he couldn't get a shot the take it especially if you guys split the meat then who cares really.

Is he still talking to you?

SimilkameenSlayer
11-06-2011, 09:54 PM
I dunno If he couldn't get a shot the take it especially if you guys split the meat then who cares really.

Is he still talking to you?

showing some maturity there cummins!

good for you!

Barracuda
11-06-2011, 09:59 PM
i wasnt talking about his situation specifically just hunting and some of the people engaged in it.
it seems alot of hunters the moment they get into the woods act in a manner that they would never act like in society.

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Just gonna throw out another quick little scenario and see if the thoughts are the same.

Driving along you notice movement up on a hillside. The glasses go up and you see the biggest buck you have ever seen. A Booner for sure. You holler out to your buddy "Monster buck!!!" As you bail out of the truck you frantically look for a nearest rest to steady the rifle so you can take the 200 yard shot. There's one! You hustle the few feet it takes to get a good rest and you locate the buck in the scope for a perfect broadside shot. Just as the crosshairs are settling in place you hear the shot ring out. Your buddy just took an offhand shot and missed the buck sending it fleeing over the crest.

Do you tell him good try, we will get the next one?

No, you call him an effing idiot for taking a hail mary shot at unwounded game, when he should have been looking for a rest.

I also think that there are individual situations to look at. For instance I once hunted with a guy and he spotted 2 bucks. Instead of setting it up so both of us could get a rest and take a good shot, he started shooting without a steady position. In the end, he missed the deer and they ran away. He actually said "I wanted to shoot before you so I got the bigger buck"

I would have been happy to have deferred to him whichever buck he wanted, it really wasn't important to me. I never hunted with again after that, since I realized he was more in competition with his partners than anything else.

Shooter
11-06-2011, 10:05 PM
He actually said "I wanted to shoot before you so I got the bigger buck"

BAHAHAHA,,.. thats friggen hilarious.

Trapper D
11-06-2011, 10:14 PM
ya that sucks , had that done to me on a doe draw in 100 mile, 15 years ago, never hunted with the guy again , infact , i cut my tag and said heres your doe , see ya . to boot it was a friggen gut shot

emerson
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I might have waited for him, and then been quietly disappointed when he was too slow, too loud, unable to commit, or shot poorly. A good hunting partner is as difficult to find as a wife; keep looking. Give him more meat than you and never hunt together again. Also lay out some ground rules with the next partner, although if the "rules" matter too much to someone, then they aren't going to be a good partner.

Gateholio
11-06-2011, 10:33 PM
i wasnt talking about his situation specifically just hunting and some of the people engaged in it.
it seems alot of hunters the moment they get into the woods act in a manner that they would never act like in society.

FOr the most part, society has an established code of conduct. We all know the rules. When it comes to hunting in a group, we have to establish our own rules. Failure to do so ends up with hurt feelings, like in this case.

There is a whole slew of different opinions on what is and isn't proper conduct during a hunt, as we can see by the responses here. Add in different geographical regions, different traditions and what seems perfectly acceptable to one group is offensive to others. Reading procedures from other regions sometimes makes my jaw drop, from party hunting to how they deal with thier camps, how they assign hunting spots, the "hunt captain" taking charge of the rifles etc.

Establishing ground rules from the beginning is the only way to ensure everyone is acting in a manner acceptable to everyone in the group.

beni
11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
I'm glad I hunt with my family members 99% of the time.

Sounds like he's butt-hurt.

Explain to him that the deer may have been gone if you had hesitated (which in most cases is true) He sounds Selfish. I would have been stoked that you got a shot at him.

scottwh
11-06-2011, 10:42 PM
I like the thread of "the chapstick & lighter bucks"! Cool! Agreed upon before. However, if its a B&C buck, the non shooter should have had his s*#t together and been quicker :)

Marlin375
11-07-2011, 12:37 AM
The fact that you shot the deer standing beside your hunting partner and you didn't tell him you were going to shoot (his ears were no doubt ringing, might explain the look on his face) kind of creeps me out, then again it might be that I am interpreting your story differently than the way it whent down. Anytime I am shoulder to shoulder with a partner its very clear who is taking the shot, at least the first one. Usually it is one shooter and one spotter with his gun on his shoulder and Binos in hand. If the deer gets away or walks out of view and he misses his opertunity to get away a shot then so be it. 5 minutes later if the deer shows up again, the roles may be reversed, it may be a completely different deer. If you seperate even 10-20 meters then you are esentially hunting alone because you are not able to communicate without yelling.

Interesting topic with a multitude of senarios, and as Gate mentioned it is different from region to region. I can see if hunters have to drive for hours to get to the deer and have been unsuccessfull a few times or have alot invested (time or money) the pressure to put one on the ground is real. At that point I agree a deer in the crosshairs is a dead deer, still disscussed before hand though. But thats not the way I interpreted the story.

bellagrinder
11-07-2011, 01:58 AM
if your hunting as a group at the end of the day you should be happy for whoever gets to shoot something, and the fact you were there to see it. Plus if your splitting it then it really shouldnt matter who takes it, because it means your group is taking home food! A good buddy no matter what should be happy for you as you should be for them, and yes maybe a lil jealous but thats ok we all get jealous, but it doesnt make all of us into sour grapes either.

hunter1947
11-07-2011, 03:53 AM
The old school I am from is that he or she that spots the animal has first crack at it unless the person that spotted the animal tells you to shoot it ,next time make sure you and your partner have it clear on what to do if this thing happens again ,good luck the rest of the season ,H-47..

stones
11-07-2011, 05:57 AM
i think your in the wrong, if it wasn't pre-planned to that he wouldn't mind you shooting the deer he spotted then, its your buddy's deer to shoot or not shoot. in my opinion.

11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
16 hrs and 11 pages?
wow thats gotta be a record. Sure can tell this is a hot one.

If you didnt talk about that, or have previous experiance with your partner then you are not in the wrong.
You need to talk about everything from who shoots to weather you are going to share or not. I went hunting with a guy i met on here, he knew half my friends in Ukee. When we went out we chatted about how we hunt and all that. And in my case if anything went "Wrong" i know we could have talked it through. Only thing went wrong was he missed a big buck and came bactk to the truck with a Spike! ( Thats for the bear! if you get this )

If your buddy is that bent and wont talk it out then get a new buddy. But im sure he isnt that bent.

Gateholio
11-07-2011, 09:19 AM
11 pages? Why don't you guys change your settings? I'm on page 3.

11-07-2011, 09:23 AM
It is monday morning, usually i "Dont get it" for a while but,,,,, doesnt my little page counter thing read 11?

NaStY
11-07-2011, 09:25 AM
I dont really give a rats ass who in our group kills it as long as there's meat in it for me.

If its big then the other person is going to know, who ever spots it first gets the first crack.....

Glenny
11-07-2011, 09:26 AM

No doubt. Agreed.

11-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Got it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Gateholio
11-07-2011, 09:35 AM
It is monday morning, usually i "Dont get it" for a while but,,,,, doesnt my little page counter thing read 11?

System default is about 10 posts per page. Set it to 50 posts per page and you will only have to click through 3 pages instead of 11.

bc mike
11-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I need to eat...I do not need to shoot!!!!! In our group we are a team. It just doesn't matter who shoots.

dabat
11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Off the top of my head, I can think of three deer that would not be in the freezer, had I not shot. Does that make it right? Probably not, but my partner wasn't complaining when he was eating it.

pescado
11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Games down, be happy. If I don't pull the trigger on a hunt but we have a good time, see some animals, all's good. Game in the freezer is the bonus to a hunting trip; who cares who downs it. Find a new partner or go by yourself. I have more of a problem with partners giving away honey holes than shooting game.

cmc destroyer
11-07-2011, 11:43 AM
man! THATS why I hunt alone!.. I have a good friend I hunt with the odd time but I HATE walking together on a trail. Its ridiculous!.. I say get the frik away from me and go do your own thing, Ill see you at the truck in 4 hrs!
You did the RIGHT thing! He chose to hunt with you as a partner side by side! That says to me, if you see something SHOOT !!, Id dump his ass as a partner... usually these lines are drawn before a a hunt takes place anyway!
Decide the rules before you go!.

curt
11-07-2011, 12:25 PM
it all depends on what agreement was made our agreement is always put the meat in the freezer but if one of us once the opportunity at taking a nice animal on his own then we honor that if nothing was said well that is a tough call!

Barracuda
11-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I need to eat...I do not need to shoot!!!!! In our group we are a team. It just doesn't matter who shoots.
You dont need to eat the animal to survive in fact i would say the majority have enough reserves to go into hibernation till spring:-D

Stumpy
11-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Who cares you guys overanalize the stupidest things, you can always get more friends. If he accuses you of stealing his shot, make sure he gets the 'bottom half' when you split the meat.

Barracuda
11-07-2011, 01:25 PM
if you cant keep friends your not worth being one.

Caveman
11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I have to ask this! If he doesn't take the shot and his partner is never offered a shot and the deer buggers off then what? Do you get pissed because you had the shot clean and clear but didn't take it cause the partner originally spotted it. I'd be happy if my partner got the shot. I won't lie ,that if it was a trophy I'd be a bit upset but if I didn't have the shot I would realize I may never have and be happy just to part of it and able to share it would my good buddy who I would hope would feel the same for me. JMHO!!

huntcoop
11-07-2011, 01:43 PM
...I'd hire a Huge Korean guy...

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Freshtracks
11-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Exactly! Even with your own father or brother, you probably will have to show some courtesy before you pull the trigger. It's respect and trust.

Agree with both points .... it's bout hunting.

Freshtracks
11-07-2011, 04:32 PM

Again ... it's why partners are chosen carefully. ;)

ratherbefishin
11-07-2011, 04:37 PM
a few years ago I was out with another guy and I spotted a bull moose from the truck,we both got out-loaded up and I took the shot-he backed me up with his shot 2 seconds later .Two shots, two hits, one bull down-meat split.Everybody wins[except the moose]

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2011, 04:56 PM
I don't believe the OP has mentioned that there was a 'Hunters Agreement' in place. Yes, the partner saw the buck first but, any partner worth a grain of salt should not care. In fact, I would think that it would be good for a few laughs for a long time to come.

Let me ask this. What if it was a whopper buck that the buddy spotted, and there is an agreement in place? He who sees it, gets first crack. Your buddy does not get a shot off, and decides to follow it while you stay put. 15 minutes later the buck has circled back around, and is 200 yards from you. Are you going to sit there and let it walk? I don't think so. If the roles were reversed, I would sure as hell hope that my partner would shoot it. Another thing, how long does he have his name on this buck, an hour, a day, or the rest of the trip??? :confused:

Tell your buddy to suck it up, and get over it. Otherwise be on your way.

Barracuda
11-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I don't believe the OP has mentioned that there was a 'Hunters Agreement' in place. Yes, the partner saw the buck first but, any partner worth a grain of salt should not care. In fact, I would think that it would be good for a few laughs for a long time to come.

Let me ask this. What if it was a whopper buck that the buddy spotted, and there is an agreement in place? He who sees it, gets first crack. Your buddy does not get a shot off, and decides to follow it while you stay put. 15 minutes later the buck has circled back around, and is 200 yards from you. Are you going to sit there and let it walk? I don't think so. If the roles were reversed, I would sure as hell hope that my partner would shoot it. Another thing, how long does he have his name on this buck, an hour, a day, or the rest of the trip??? :confused:

Tell your buddy to suck it up, and get over it. Otherwise be on your way.

Of course i would let my partner continue his stalk . it is my partners pursuit not mine. I have done this exact thing and would expect no less from a partner. Hunting is far more then meat or dispatching an animal.

i know many guys use radios so they can avoid confusion and make sure they are not shooting in the direction of a fellow hunter if something like this comes up .

Whonnock Boy
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Of course i would let my partner continue his stalk . it is my partners pursuit not mine. I have done this exact thing and would expect no less from a partner. Hunting is far more then meat or dispatching an animal.

i know many guys use radios so they can avoid confusion and make sure they are not shooting in the direction of a fellow hunter if something like this comes up .

Jee wiz, you and your partners must have a 12 page legal binding 'Hunting Agreement' document to cover all your bases. :wink:

What if your partner is a half mile away from your original position which you can verify because you glassed him there, you cannot contact him, it's a 200 inch buck, and not some 160 class whopper? Would you still let him walk? If the roles were reversed, would you expect your partner to stand there and take pictures?

rcar
11-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Yeah, a tough one. I guess it depends upon the agreement you had before the hunt. If it was me and there was no agreement, I would have let him have the shot as he spotted it first even if it resulted in losing the animal. I would rather eat nothing than eat crow......besides a good hunting partner is a tough find...much more difficult than a deer.

coach
11-07-2011, 05:44 PM
127 posts and barely a mention of safety so far. The obvious lesson learned through all this is the importance of discussing the situation before it happens.

I see nothing wrong with the OP taking the shot as long as safety was considered. In theory, however, if the two of you are walking along a trail, one in front of the other, and the lead guys spots a buck, the second guy should take the role of spotter. When both guys are looking through their scopes (likely with their less dominant eye closed) the potential for an accident increases exponentially. With no agreement in place, the hunting partner who felt it was "his deer" to shoot could have put himself at risk by assuming his partner was not preparing to shoot.

If the agreement is "whoever has a clear shot has clearance to pull the trigger" then , at the very least, both hunters need to continue to communicate while lining up on the deer. With the people I hunt with, there is always an agreement ahead of time. As long as both hunters are carrying valid tags, nobody gets worked up over "who's deer" it is - especially if we are splitting the meat. I guess I'm lucky to live where I do and have all kinds of opportunity to harvest my own animals. If I give way to my hunting partner, karma usually pays me back. In most situations, only one guy has his gun up. The other has binos. Safety always has to factor in somewhere.

.300WSMImpact!
11-07-2011, 05:56 PM
better to shoot first and ask for forgiveness later, thats why I hunt alone nobody will hunt with me

Barracuda
11-07-2011, 06:05 PM
Jee wiz, you and your partners must have a 12 page legal binding 'Hunting Agreement' document to cover all your bases. :wink:

What if your partner is a half mile away from your original position which you can verify because you glassed him there, you cannot contact him, it's a 200 inch buck, and not some 160 class whopper? Would you still let him walk? If the roles were reversed, would you expect your partner to stand there and take pictures?

the size of rack or animal really has no bearing in this situation.

agreement can be as simple as first to see it gets first crack or first to get a clear shot takes it etc.

If you agree that if its a blown or lost stalk and if one of you get the opportunity then you should take it then thats what you do.

It takes no longer to discuss it then it does for you to have read this.

This is actually why i mentioned the radio cause if buddy says i lost him or its blown etc then you know.

its really as simple as a talk in the truck as your driveing to where your going and communication when you are hunting.

Bro 300
11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Interesting topic. If there was no discussion of this scenario, then you did not do a terrible thing in most people's opinons. most hunting parties are happy to get some game, especially if they have travelled a distance and are on a hunting trip. Don't understand though if your partner did see the deer first, why did he not shoot it then. If it moved from his sight, then he should accept the fact you saw it and shot.
Bro

Jonas111
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
while out hunting with a friend we were both walking the same path. He spotted a buck and whispered for me to stop. so I stopped and he raised his gun, but didnt shoot. instead we both re-positioned and drew our guns in the same direction. I could see the buck for a second but lost him in the trees. after a minute he re appeared and I had a broad side shot. so i took it. my friend was very upset and accused me of "stealing" his shot. was I wrong to shoot because he saw it first. were splitting the meat like we always do but I get the rack. I need some hunter feedback here.

Just tell him his deer that he spotted ran away and this one popped its head out. Then he will be your buddy again. LOL.

AND 300WSMIMPACT doesn't share with his brothers that's why he hunts alone. He hunts with his girlfriend now and she is going to learn he is going to shoot her deer too. LOL!!!

Its ON Little BRO. LOL!!!

west250
11-07-2011, 06:18 PM
If you have the shot, take it. Ask him if he would be more upset to have him walk, or if you dropped him? I would think that if he got really bent about it that you're better off going in separate directions from the truck in the future, or maybe even hunt with someone else. Last thing I would want is a hunting partner that would be climbing over me to make a shot... If he gets over it and you hunt together for many years it'll most likely go that way for the both of you again and again. Relax and enjoy the fact that there's 'meat in camp'.

matt420
11-08-2011, 08:10 PM
depends on who your hunting with really, but in my opinion YOU WERE IN THE RIGHT, cuz when me and my friends go hunting together and see only one buck, it doesnt matter who spots it, someone shoot it cuz in the end me and my buddy who im with would end up spliting the meat anyways.

dogboy
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
we were split up originally. we both hiked in diffrent directions and after time we re- connected. thats why we were together on the same path. Also we are both on our second tag of the season. and I put the question out there to get experienced hunters opinions on it. And jelvis you made yours perfectly clear on your first post. no need for all the rest, my friend may be a pretty serious guy but you have shown me there could be worse hunting partners to have

LMO.....nice comeback.... I'm sure everyone will get over this in time and you guys will have the time of your life hunting for all those monster deer, plus probably get into a couple more arguments in the near future, this is how friends work! and how we create all the funny stores to tell!

Looking_4_Jerky
11-10-2011, 05:17 PM
If protocol hadn't been previously determined, you did the right thing. That being said, an apology might be nice. If he doesn't get over it with your simple (but genuine) apology, find a less bitchy partner.

Doing something nice to prove you're genuine might be a nice touch, ie (as someone suggested) maybe have him over for a beer and a steak and tell him you wouldn't have done it if you knew he wanted to be the trigger-puller. If he's still sour, re-read the bold font above!

Barracuda
11-10-2011, 07:38 PM
Sorry but it isnt the right thing especially if it hadnt been discussed unless your rude and all you care about is yourself.

buddy spots it buddy gets the option of first crack .

Too many selfish inconsiderate people in this world believe its better to ask for forgiveness then permission.
I feel sorry for their wives and sad for their children.

fuzzybiscuit
11-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Barracuda:
"it seems alot of hunters the moment they get into the woods act in a manner that they would never act like in society."

I personally know and have hunted with several people that frequently post on this site and it is my opinion that a lot of forum users act in a totally different manner when there is a key board in their lap from that when they are out in the woods.

Unless there was some previous arrangement in place, I'd have no problem if one of my hunting partners did as the OP. As long as my partner has a tag and has a shot, I'd have no problem with him taking the shot.

I used to hunt with a old timer who's eyes weren't as good as they once were. He almost never spotted a deer first, but getting a deer was just as important for him as it was for me. I would have been a real prick if I held him to the rule "he who spots it first gets to take the shot". All he would have ever got were my scraps.

Blacktail 270
11-10-2011, 08:54 PM
Take the shot

mbway
11-10-2011, 10:46 PM
When it went out of sight and came back in , it became fair game. good for you. Tell your hunting partner to lighten up. Ive spotted lots of animals before my partner and was to slow to pull trigger, even offering it up to the other guy sometime,even when I really wanted it . As for stealing his shot,, if he had a shot he would have taken it.. Have to take one before its yours..

kgs
11-10-2011, 10:54 PM
yea it is a tough one but if I had to pick one I would say you were wrong should have let him have the chance to shoot it. Ahh your friends you guys will get PAST THIS NOW YOU KNOW HOW HE FEELS ABOUT IT..

Barracuda
11-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Barracuda:
"it seems alot of hunters the moment they get into the woods act in a manner that they would never act like in society."

I personally know and have hunted with several people that frequently post on this site and it is my opinion that a lot of forum users act in a totally different manner when there is a key board in their lap from that when they are out in the woods.

Unless there was some previous arrangement in place, I'd have no problem if one of my hunting partners did as the OP. As long as my partner has a tag and has a shot, I'd have no problem with him taking the shot.

I used to hunt with a old timer who's eyes weren't as good as they once were. He almost never spotted a deer first, but getting a deer was just as important for him as it was for me. I would have been a real prick if I held him to the rule "he who spots it first gets to take the shot". All he would have ever got were my scraps.

I too have gone out with folks and spotted animals and said look over there you want him? or there you go.

The point i am makeing is if i was out with you and we were walking along and you spotted a deer i wouldnt just let lead fly . I would take a ready wait for you to take position ,get a rest etc or say take im ,or gesture and so on .
If I simply let fly you could very well have been getting a good rest to get off the best shot you could .

Could you imagine that you spotted a moose etc so you set up properly were just takeing a bead on him your at the bottom of your breath ready to let go and Jobob touches one off and all he says is you snooze you lose??
or i thought it was gonna run or you took too long.

if a person whisper or gestures to shoot because they cant that would be an option also .

I have had people say take him i dont have a good shot or I have said the same. Someone says to me hey look theres a deer you wanna shoot it i say sure and the same courtesy is recipricated

What your reading here is pretty much what you get its pretty easy to figure me out and i normally ask shooting etiquette .
You wont have to race to get your shot in take your time and do it right.

I do plenty of dumb things ,make mistakes and even screw things sideways but i really try to do the right thing to the best of my ability and try to limit my mistakes to basic stupidity or oversights.

An open line of communication with a partner so things like this do not happen is the best bet.

You get some quick draw under a tree and see how pissed off people get.

common courtesy doesnt seem to be all that common .

Camo
12-19-2011, 12:47 AM
I would have done the same thing. Good on you for taking the shot

Livewire322
12-19-2011, 12:56 AM
I would have been pissed if my partner hadn't taken the shot unless it was a booner buck

12-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Hopefully in your case it's a BOOK deer, haha, when you've done enough hunting you will learn that things like this will happen. If buddy is that upset with you ..... how good of a friend is he to start with? Tell him to get over it if he carries on, find another hunting partner.
Same thing happened to me years ago with a dandy 6 pt. elk, what turned out to be my first, I was in direct line of his fire, he LOST it ..... and apologized days later.
Your buddy gor 1/2 the meat didn't he, tell him to take a pill.

WHAAAAAAAA!
CT

bigslim
12-19-2011, 09:04 AM
In our hunting group the person that spots the animal has first shot, or the option to pass it up. Still room for debate sometimes on who spotted the animal first especially if its a cranker at that point it can get tense lol!

BCHunterTV
12-19-2011, 09:16 AM
in the wrong id say...unless he asked i wouldnt be drawing your rifle

gitnadoix
12-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I go hunting to get away from this sorta mamby pamby bickering if I have a gun and a tag and I am in the woods I am gonna shoot what i am hunting for....the folks I hunt with all are on the same page....

Brez
12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
guys will forgive and take back a girlfriend or wife that's screwed them over - but hardly ever a hunting partner who's done it. That's just the way it is.
You were wrong. Guy who sees it first gets first shot - unless agreed otherwise agreed on ahead of time. An apology and discussion on any further situations that may come up will clear things up - unless he's a baby. Good, long lasting, hunting partners are real hard to find and it may take a while .
Like "gitnadoix" says be "on the same page".
Good luck.

EastKootenay
12-19-2011, 06:59 PM
This discussion about freindship..who shot the deer....made me recall this story....
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/hunting/deer-hunting/2010/12/best-friends-share-glory-freakish-nontypical-trophy