PDA

View Full Version : where does one get his bison tag

bowhunterbruce
11-05-2011, 08:12 PM
i have been asked to accompany a buddy on his bison hunt and he has no clue where to get his tag.can anyone here answer it.some have said only from victoria,others have said from a bc service office and one even said wal-mark for crying out loud.
tell me the gospel anyone
thanks

The Dawg
11-05-2011, 08:16 PM
There should be an address/phone number with the bison package he received. He has to get it mailed to him from Victoria.

cameron0518
11-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Right info from NoahDawg. But really... who gets this draw and doesn't read his package info?? I would ensure you guys are well prepared. Do not underestimate this hunt or it will be a huge regret.

Iltasyuko
11-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Everyone drawn gets mailed a package with maps and hunt info - hopefully he received it - how to purchase the tag is outlined in the package.

scottwh
11-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Theres an order form in the package. Mail in you hunting license number and you visa number and boom... It'll be in you mail box in a week and a half. Just got mine!

t-bone
11-05-2011, 09:08 PM
The bison tag is only availalble from victoria and it could take up to 3 weeks, heres the address: bison species licence fish, wildlife and habitat management branch 4th floor -2975 jutland road p.o. box 9374 stn prov govt victoria bc v8w-9m4 or you could phone them at 250-356-1427. it sounds like your buddy hasen`t taken this once in lifetime oppurtunity to seriously by not reading his info package and like cameron0518 says do not under estimate this hunt.

bowhunterbruce
11-06-2011, 05:52 AM
thanks everyone.honestly he has had so much on his plate running his company out of town. he only just got back into town last week and still had to do work for a huge meeting 3 days after he got back.

stones
11-06-2011, 08:38 AM
you should be able to pick it up at service bc in fort st. john ph#250-787-3350

Belle
11-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Sorry Stones, the instructions indicate that you can only get the tag through Victoria, will not be issued from the Fort St John office. Just got mine a week ago for the Dec 16-31 hunt. Anyone else heading up for the hunt that time of the year?

Brett
11-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Actually Stones is correct, i know people who have picked it up in FSJ. It may have been sent there from Vic?

Anyways.... after you get a tag,,, you need to find one!?!

haven't read to many bison stories yet...........wait haven't read any!!

stones
11-06-2011, 04:50 PM
I was told by victoria to pick my tag up in fort st john at service bc regardless of what instructions say.

branman_2000
11-06-2011, 08:44 PM
december 1st-15th here. made reservations with pink mountain guiding outfit for a cabin on the ranch, said 5 other partys had booked already. any from here?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-06-2011, 08:55 PM
i will be there DEC 16-31 cant wait!!!!!!!!

branman_2000
11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
sheep.elk.moose fanatic, i believe you helped us out last year when we stopped in for a burger. might recognize cas-has-cars. he had a draw last year, got mine this year. time to do it all over again

The Dawg
11-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Jan 1-15 zone a for me.

Muleychaser and 3006pg are coming with. Gonna be awesome!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
11-06-2011, 09:58 PM
sheep.elk.moose fanatic, i believe you helped us out last year when we stopped in for a burger. might recognize cas-has-cars. he had a draw last year, got mine this year. time to do it all over again
good for you guys, you should have it all figured out now ...good luck and let see some big bison hit the ground ..cheers Jamie

scottwh
11-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Im Jan 1-15 too, zone a. I just mailed mine to Victoria and it was 1 1/2 weeks and I got my tag. I wouldnt chance waiting till you got to FSJ. You'll be pissed if they tell you you shoulda mailed it in sooner!

dropshot
11-06-2011, 10:56 PM
As stated by others, there are instructions in the package that is sent out to the successful recipient. It clearly states you must fill out the bison License Order Form (which comes in the package) and return it to "Bison Species License with a money order payable to Minister of Finance
Fish,Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch
4th Floor - 2975 Jutland Road
P.O. Box 9374 STN PROV GOVT
Victoria, BC V8W 9M4
or Alternately, you can obtain the license by using a credit card by completing the same form and faxing it to: 250 387 4339
It does also state in the letter that the bison species License is no longer available from the Fort Saint John regional office, however when we were up there this year we ran into a group who had said the didn't get their Bison Species License before they left and tried to get it at a Service BC office before just before they departed for their hunt, but could not get one in the lowermainland. My understanding is they (the lowermainland Service BC office) called Victoria and said the people could get the Species License in the Forst St John regional Office .They had said they do keep some there for this very scenario of people not sending into Victoria as stated in their packages. I'm not sure if they meant a wildlife branch or a Service BC office. Thats what we were told by this group. I would tell your partner to get his package out and dig out the forms and get them in ASAP to Victoria as it does state may take up to 3 weeks to get the species License back, although we got ours back in about a week and a half. If your time frame is to close to your hunt for the three week period to get the Species License, I would strongly suggest a call to Victoria is next on you or your partners list. Good Luck

cameron0518
11-06-2011, 11:19 PM
My dad and i both got draws for the same bison draw in the same year a few years ago. It truly was a great father-son hunt (as well as a couple of other good partners). We both got ours at first light opening day. He got a massive mature bull and i got a younger bull. Both mounts turned out awesome by Gander's Taxidermy ( The best in the business IMO). From experience, go in more prepared than for any other hunt you have ever been on. Feel free to PM me and let me know your avenues for game recovery or any other helpful info.

stones
11-07-2011, 06:53 AM
mine's for nov 16th-30th is there any snow there yet ? wondering if I'm going to need a snoemobile.

ufishifish2
11-07-2011, 07:18 AM
That November hunt is pretty dicey for sleds. Too bad because they are certainly the best way to hunt these mighty beasts!!!

northern fisher
11-07-2011, 07:49 AM
I have just recieved mine (Nov.4 /11) and it came from Victoria. The service BC in Fort St John used to have them but they don't anymore.Have to get it from Victoria

browndown77
11-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Just received mine as well from the Victoria Branch,my draw is Nov 20th to Dec 5th zone B ,Staying with Mike and Dixie at Sikanni River Ranch,getting close can't wait.

stones
11-07-2011, 01:34 PM
just spoke with sevice bc in fort st. john and they do have bison tags

bowhunterbruce
11-13-2011, 11:17 PM
well thanks for all the info guys and we just got back this morning from a sucessful hunt.staded with mike and dixie and everything was incredible there.not anyways near enough snow for the sleds yet ,so be as prepared as we were to get your butts off the machines and do some serious hiking.although we had the legs for the work we were short on a small quad trailer and a skimmer ,thats we ended up renting from dixie.that pack out was around 3 miles and worth every minute of it and id do it again in a heartbeat.
once i am finished fleshing the hide tommorrow i will put together some pics and the full story including the potential new world record bison that came out of the area.with pic of it as well.pretty tired after 16 hrs on the snow covered rds of the north then cleaning and preping the meat for the butcher tommorow.please be patient ya wont be disappointed.