PDA

View Full Version : savona-white tails?

ratherbefishin
11-05-2011, 09:29 AM
I haven't hunted Savona for about 10 years-we used to go in November for 4 pt mule deer,and if you hit it lucky it could be good.Thinking of going this year-are there any whitetails in there as well?

Piperdown
11-05-2011, 10:03 AM
It is quite the gong show there now lots of hunters.

BCHunterTV
11-05-2011, 10:34 AM
To many guys, waste of time in my opinion

Darksith
11-05-2011, 10:37 AM
its not a waste of time unless you stay in your truck. Lots of good hunting, lots of deer, there are some whities there from what I have heard. Get out and walk, you should be able to find a mulie, can't really help on the whities though.

markt308
11-05-2011, 10:48 AM
yes there are WT's

ratherbefishin
11-05-2011, 01:25 PM
if I remember correctly, there are some resident mulies and those that migrated in as a winter range-and if you hit it right-and the wolves hadn't been in there,it could be really good hunting-we get off the road and hike-four of us shot three 4 points one morning.The next year there was no snow-and we didn't see even a doe.There was some moose sign though-and sheep.I know that area was considered good moose hunting back in the 60's

Looking_4_Jerky
11-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Depends where near Savona you're talking. North of the river, almost none. South of the river there are pockets, the best of which roughly follow Guichon Cr and Tunkwa Lake Rd southward. My buddy's dad whacked a doe in that neck of the woods earlier in the season. As you head westward in that country they really get sparse. Around Logan Lake would be my suggestion, as densities were always better there than north near Savona. That is not to say, however, that there are great densities in general even around LL. Like others are saying, the hunter traffic seems to be up and it is seeming to affect how the animals are behaving. Get out of the truck if you want a hope.

beni
11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Been working across from the Savona mill for a few months, haven't seen a single Whitetail.
(means driving there every morning and different times)

Have seen lots of mulies though, took a 2pt from there.

Try over on the other side around Tunkwa IMO.

KevinB
11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I've seen a couple of WT bucks on the south side of the river over the years.

Really, they seem to be popping up everywhere around Kamloops over the last few years. There are a lot more of them than most people realize. A 3 month antlerless GOS would be great and I think even with that they'd keep pushing in. There's just so much cover and they learn from hunting pressure pretty darn fast.

lovemywinchester
11-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Herds of wt north of Savona by Red lake.

beni
11-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Private Property areas??

lovemywinchester
11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Lots of posted areas for sure. Lots of open land as well. I'm still learning the areas myself.

beni
11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Lots of posted areas for sure. Lots of open land as well. I'm still learning the areas myself.

Hmm, I drove the back way once in September didn't like the amount of posted area's so I never drove back through there to really get a good look. I typically don't spent a whole lot of time hunting around Kamloops anyway.

Good luck with the new area

BigfishCanada
11-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Thats funny, good luck seeing a heard near Red, Go south towards tunkwa or north toward lone butte. CLose to Savona is mule deer country

lovemywinchester
11-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Thats funny, good luck seeing a heard near Red, Go south towards tunkwa or north toward lone butte. CLose to Savona is mule deer country
Your the guy who told me that! Oh I get it...no WT up at Red, I must be mistaken.:wink:

BigfishCanada
11-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Funny again, I drive 20 minutes north of Red for my WT ( and never have gotten one), I would never tell anyone herds of WT at Red. If I were to hunt WT, id stay at Als place www.tunkwalakeresort.com (http://www.tunkwalakeresort.com)

Hump your sniffen pest poison again

Your the guy who told me that! Oh I get it...no WT up at Red, I must be mistaken.:wink:

finngun
11-07-2011, 09:59 AM
[QUOTE=lovemywinchester;1012149]Herds of wt north of Savona by Red lake.
i quess my eye sighting is getting bad.....been hunting around 20 years that area..never seen single w-t there yet....mulies yes...but lots less these days than -90
focusing diff. areas these days..

lovemywinchester
11-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Apparently I was too specific with my description of where the wt are up there. I wasn't saying there are herds swimming across Red Lake, sorry I gave that impression. I should have said"in the Red Lake area". Finngun, I know for a fact they are up there and are doing well, my buddies missed two big racked bruisers right off the road when we were there in Oct. In the future I will be more specific like" 15 min north of Kamloops bucks", or 40 min south of Kamloops WT".