PDA

View Full Version : What boots and socks are you wearing for your late season deer hunting?

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-04-2011, 07:32 AM
I am just wondering what boots and socks you are wearing for your late season deer hunt.I have been using the Red Wing elk trackers with 1000 gm of thinsulate.I like these boots but I find they are heavy and a bit noisy.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-04-2011, 07:37 AM
surplus army wool socks are working well for me. but i'm looking for new boots, maybe danners.

snareman1234
11-04-2011, 07:49 AM
Kenetreks with 400g insulation and Thorlo socks...Same boots and socks I wore in August Hunting Sheep...Feet stay warm as long as I'm hiking/glassing

RoscoeP
11-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Costco is selling 71 percent merino wool socks for $10 something for 4 pairs. I bought some for my hunting trip and they were great, fit great kept my feet warm and very comfi. A yupi hiking store they would be double that for one pair.

lilhoss
11-04-2011, 09:16 AM
If I can find them,always get a 80%-plus wool sock,and wear my "Elk trackers".Nice and light and I always take 2 pairs(socks) in my back pack,for change outs on the hills.

Mykos
11-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Bean Boots with icelandic wool socks. Toasty and dry.

BCrams
11-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Schnees Hunter II with a pair of heavy Lorpen socks works for me. Works good for both hiking and when I'm just sitting in a tree stand or ground blind glassing and waiting for deer.

warnniklz
11-04-2011, 06:41 PM
I wear the same boots all year. However I upgrade to my 100% sheep wool socks that a family friend makes. Keeps the feet toasty warm.

Scance
11-26-2011, 06:42 PM
I used to have my feet overheat in my Rocky (800g) boots.. tried the 2 sock system by OR.. they work great and feet do not sweet when doing lots of hiking..

wlbc
11-26-2011, 08:17 PM
I wear my Danner Fort Lewis - uninsulated to about - 20c with a good pair of Merino wool socks.

South of -20c I have an insulated pair of Diotti's that are pretty good. I wear the same socks with them as well.

troutseeker
11-27-2011, 08:30 PM
I wear my Scarpa un-insulated boots like always. With some Lorpen merino socks I picked up at Marks WorkWears World, the kind that have a thin inner and a thick outer sock. My feet don't really get cold...

Fishhound
11-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Cabelas, 1200g thinsulate gortex boots with Smart Wool socks.

Bought the boots at Cabelas in Lacey, Washington grand opening for $100 in 2008 boots are still keep my feet dry, socks are not cheap $22 a pair at Marks or Robertsons, good socks

KevinB
11-28-2011, 07:07 PM
I use the cheapie Sorels with the leather uppers and rubber lowers, kind of like a chines knock-off of BCRams's Schnees. They work well enough but you get what you pay for. For socks, I use heavyweight Icebreaker merino wool. It's the most durable sock brand, by far, that I have ever owned. They wear like iron and you can't go wrong with good merino.

Mountain Hunter
11-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Sure, any walking on decent ground with regular hikers, like a good Scarpa, Han Wag, Danner, etc. are all going to be good with a decent pair of heavy weight hiking socks. But I agree wtih KevinB & BCRams on the leather tops and rubber bottoms with removable felt pack liners for winter hunting (Sorel Mavericks for me). You can walk comfortably and sit for a few hours with those boots.

I like the idea of those insulated hunting boots but they can get cold and clammy if you stop for awhile (or drive somewhere with them on), and then they take forever to dry out for the next days hunt. At least with removable liners you can dry them out overnight or switch liners the next day.

bmx_slinger
11-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Got some Meindl Islands this year, and they are great. Kept me dry for a week in the snow. My toes get cold no matter what I do if I sit for too long thought. I run those costco socks metioned, and they do a fine job. Also a pair of Lorpen light hikers if its warmer out. I agree with Mountain Hunter and will be getting a pair of felt pacs in the future for going out in the full cold with lots of snow. They aren't as nice to walk in, but when you're pushing 12"+ of snow, its all the same: hard work.

7mag700
11-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Red Wing/Irish Setter Gunflints with Remington brand wool socks. Man I love my boots. They were a good compromise cs. the Elk Stalkers (200 gram vs. 1000 gram) and make an awesome year-round boot IMO

7m7

eastkoot
11-29-2011, 02:21 PM
Gronell Austria boots and if you look in Costco, they have merino wool socks 4 pack cheap and they work just fine..

35 Whelen
12-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Best sock I have ever worn...down to -27C is the Redhead Merino wool sock from Bass Pro Shops just north of Calgary. $15 a pair with a LIFETIME warranty. I wear them 10 months of the year and my feet are warm , dry and comfy. Boots were a pair of Scarpa, and Merrill GTX....but at -27C toes still get a bit achy with the extreme cold just sitting. Next purchase will be a good set of insulated boots.

SavageShooter
12-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Lacrosse Aplha Burly's with a thin synthetic base sock covered by big artic wool socks. Dynamite combination, quite, warm and 100% water proof. The base sock is great for comfort and wicks any sweat away from your foot. If sitting for long periods, slip in the little heat packs from CA tire and you are set.
SS