PDA

View Full Version : Its official new world record

mikeboehm
11-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Cody robbins new world record non-typical muledeer in officially the new pope and young record. Oficially scored 288". Congrats cody

pronghorn
11-03-2011, 08:41 PM
cant wait to see the footage on that hunt should be awsome.

Trapper D
11-03-2011, 08:44 PM
the new barry bonds of the mule deer league. congrats cody, was it walking on only its front 2 feet like that whitey

OOBuck
11-03-2011, 08:54 PM
http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/2011/09/15/possible-world-record-mule-deer/

Brambles
11-03-2011, 09:41 PM
booyah...I wonder who found it for him?

spear
11-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah, no doubt a great accomplishment but how many of these guys are getting the animals via fair chase and self guided??
Nonetheless, Congrats Cody! We'll be looking forward to the video!!

ianwuzhere
11-03-2011, 09:57 PM
im jelous- they have some massive deer in saskabush.. hopefully he got some footage of it- would be awesome to see, always look bigger in velvet too!! watched a live to hunt goat hunting show tonite-good stuff... he'll prolly sand bag the video before it hits wildtv...

3kills
11-03-2011, 11:18 PM
So if he didnt strip the velvet it wont actaully be a world record buck instead the biggest velvet buck.

What about the velvet?
Clearly this buck was taken in the velvet. Pope and Young does accept and recognize velvet bucks, but in their own separate category. However, it is important to note that a velvet buck will not be recognized as an official world record. It can be the biggest velvet buck, but won’t be the top dog even if it scores higher than the current score of 274 7/8 P&Y. The Kenneth Plank buck was taken hard-horned in 1987.

eastkoot
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Chelsea silly..

Elkaholic
11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Yeah, no doubt a great accomplishment but how many of these guys are getting the animals via fair chase and self guided??
Nonetheless, Congrats Cody! We'll be looking forward to the video!!

Are you kidding me??? The buck is from Sask.... Where Cody lives. So I am pretty sure it was self guided. Why do people always have to strip people down for things they shot. Just because its big doesn't mean its not fair chase and self guided. I myself have laid eyes on a Mule Deer in Sask that was so massive I couldn't begin to put a rough score to it. They are there you just have to hunt hard for them. Also archery hunting mule deer is Cody's #1 passion so he takes it pretty seriously.

cainer
11-04-2011, 01:04 PM
I wanna see a pic of this buck, that is quite a score

huntcoop
11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
I wanna see a pic of this buck, that is quite a score

http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/295skbuck01.jpg

coach
11-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I'm a huge fan of Cody Robbins and his Live to Hunt show. He seems like a very genuine, honest Canadian who loves hunting and lacks the ego of so many "celebrities". All the people I know who have met him say the same thing. Good for him for harvesting this buck. Couldn't happen to a better guy.

Mountain Man
11-04-2011, 02:04 PM
I agree with Elkaholic,

Sure some of these Tv people kill some huge animals across the globe and some do come easy, If you know Cody, and know his love for two things, bow hunting and mule deer, he puts his time in !!!! In a big way and always has even when he worked with Shockey, these guys scout all year round , have tons of trail cameras, roll hours of film and photos in the off season, and pick up sheds all year, Honestly it happened to a good guy ! That deserves it !

Its far better than some yankee coming up and paying 10 grand for a guided hunt and now gets to claim a world record out of it, Im happy that a canuck killed it in his back yard.

Rattler
11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
My god that is a massive buck. I would sh!t my pants if I saw that buck with my rifle...can't imagine trying to close the gap on that buck with a bow. Congrats to Cody. That will be a tough record to break.

cainer
11-05-2011, 12:25 PM
wow thats some rack. musta been fun to score. wonder if he's gonna get it mounted ;)

Gateholio
11-05-2011, 01:56 PM
That is a hell of a buck!

I like his show, too.

pete_k
11-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Because it is in velvet it will never be allowed to be a record against non-velvet racks, even if it scores bigger.
So it's a world record Velvet buck and that's all it will ever be.

deer nut
11-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Looks almost identical to the one he or one of his friends missed a couple years back - back when he was with Jim Shockey's team.

3kills
11-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Because it is in velvet it will never be allowed to be a record against non-velvet racks, even if it scores bigger.
if he would have stripped it and then let it dry he could have tried for the actaul world record but might have come up short it would be a tough descion to make thats for sure. either way record or not thats a hell of a buck and cant wait to see it next year on the show. that team has dropped a few very nice bucks this year!

reach
11-05-2011, 06:04 PM
Bit of a hijack... is a buck in velvet even a "buck" by our BC definitions? No visible bone...

coach
11-05-2011, 07:00 PM
You're right, reach. In BC he would have to cut his antlerless tag.

Or maybe not..

mark
11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
I agree with Elkaholic,

Sure some of these Tv people kill some huge animals across the globe and some do come easy, If you know Cody, and know his love for two things, bow hunting and mule deer, he puts his time in !!!! In a big way and always has even when he worked with Shockey, these guys scout all year round , have tons of trail cameras, roll hours of film and photos in the off season, and pick up sheds all year, Honestly it happened to a good guy ! That deserves it !

Its far better than some yankee coming up and paying 10 grand for a guided hunt and now gets to claim a world record out of it, Im happy that a canuck killed it in his back yard.

Mega congrads to him!!!

Too often these whopper bucks get shot by road hunters or clients!!

I for one am very happy to hear this, its nice to see a guy that works his ass off for years with a passion, finally succeed!!!!
Maybe my turn will come some day, and it will all be worth the effort!

300H&H
11-05-2011, 08:43 PM

Well that did not take long for the doubters to come out...next the bashing.

Why can't everyone just be happy for the guy ?
It is how he now make his living, hunting & videoing.
He worked long and hard for Jim Shockey and has done well on his own.
Give the guy a break !!!
If you shot a huge buck and posted it on HBC would you like it if we all said it was shot at night or behind a fence with a sign "No Hunting".
Think...then speak !

huntwriter
11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Wow! How come that every time a hunter posts a picture of a big animal taken or there is a report of a trophy people come out of the woodwork wondering if it had been, "fair chase", "ethical", "guided", the "easy way" or "hard way". Who cares as long as it is legal. I said it before, hunting is to each what he/she wants it to be and not to keep up to someones standard and expectations.

I know Cody, he is a good hunter and deserves that success, and so does everybody else who takes the animal of their dreams regardless of how they got it, as long it was legal.

Congratulations Cody, looking forward to see the footage in a upcoming TV show.

Marlin375
11-05-2011, 09:41 PM
Frankly speaking....it was shot in velvet it should stay in velvet, stripping the velvet off and scoring it as a hard bone buck should not be an option.
Muley bucks change thier habits later in the season. It was an early season buck it should be scored that way. Congrats to Cody, for keeping his sh*t together and loosing an arrow on the prize when it counted. That buck would have heard my heart beating if I was drawing on him.

bugler
11-05-2011, 09:46 PM
Muleys do change their habits later in the season. The rut comes on and they get dumber!! Yeesh. If he wants the record he can strip the velvet, but it will lose a little bit on the circumferences if he does.

Marlin375
11-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Muleys do change their habits later in the season. The rut comes on and they get dumber!! Yeesh. If he wants the record he can strip the velvet, but it will lose a little bit on the circumferences if he does.

Actually, in my experience when they change from the solotairy bachelor into the bar fly they may get stupid but their girlfriends give me up 99% of the time and I have a hell of a time getting into bow range.

Jonas111
11-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I have to agree with Mountain man. Although I am super jealous because he gets to hunt for a living, it doesn't change the fact that he is a good Canadian that has put in his time. Way better we all will be able to watch this on a show someday then some guy driving by in a Truck and happens to get lucky.

Congratulations Cody and can't wait to see his video. If his career didn't take off yet it's about to get real busy. And Saskatchewan hunting regulations will be changing because every hunter in the world is going to want to hunt in Saskatchewan.

Elkhound
11-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Note to self Must hunt Sask.

rocksteady
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Are you kidding me??? The buck is from Sask.... Where Cody lives. So I am pretty sure it was self guided. Why do people always have to strip people down for things they shot. Just because its big doesn't mean its not fair chase and self guided. I myself have laid eyes on a Mule Deer in Sask that was so massive I couldn't begin to put a rough score to it. They are there you just have to hunt hard for them. Also archery hunting mule deer is Cody's #1 passion so he takes it pretty seriously.

When I first started to read the thread I thought the same as Spear.... I don't have WildTV (yet), so assumed it was US hunter with a TV show that came across the border to get some footage and sell some videos...Therefore it lead to the assumption that it was a "guided hunt"....

Too many assumptions, however not all of us are as "in tune" with the TV personalities from the hunting shows....

Now that I have done the google thing, the assumptions are flushed down the crapper....One hell of a buck, quite a feat using archery equipment...

d6dan
11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Note to self Must hunt Sask.

Not for Mulies.Only Whitetail for you and the rest of us..It seems that resident Sask boys and girls only get those mulies..I'm Jealous :).

Oh, I almost forgot to post this link.
http://live2hunt.com/

stitch
11-07-2011, 12:31 PM
I love watching his shows.....The guys gets jacked when he or one of his buddies shoot any animal. His show is real....just how many guys would show themselves going out for a hunt and when they arrive let it be known that they forgot the bullets. Lots of laughs over that one!

Husky7mm
11-07-2011, 01:14 PM
His show is a good show. Dont all jump down Brambles throat I'm sure we are all green. Remember its from saskatawan. They dont let every hunter with happy trigger kill what ever they like in the name of hunter oportunity. Its Draw for residents only with a rifle and bow only for their open season. They are alot more likely to grow monsters mulies. It doesnt suck to be a saskatawan celebrity either. "Hey Cody I know where there's a massive double drop possible new world records mulie in my uncles friends field " and such. Its real tough here in BC to get a-gooder, you can get a little bitter about it. LOL

bugler
11-07-2011, 09:09 PM
His show is a good show. Dont all jump down Brambles throat I'm sure we are all green. Remember its from saskatawan. They dont let every hunter with happy trigger kill what ever they like in the name of hunter oportunity. Its Draw for residents only with a rifle and bow only for their open season. They are alot more likely to grow monsters mulies. It doesnt suck to be a saskatawan celebrity either. "Hey Cody I know where there's a massive double drop possible new world records mulie in my uncles friends field " and such. Its real tough here in BC to get a-gooder, you can get a little bitter about it. LOL

Hey Husky, do you know if non res can hunt in their bow season? I know that anything on draw there is for residents only (imagine if it was like that here), but if bow season is not on draw then it begs the question. Wheels are turning here....
And I can't wait to see the episode, probably next season.

Farmer
11-08-2011, 05:37 PM
http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/295skbuck01.jpg

Sorry Guys, Cody did not arrow this buck. I saw the Live to Hunt episode where this buck was killed about 3 weeks ago and it was the brother of his good friend that arrowed this buck. This fellow saw this buck and called his brother and Cody to come and try to film the hunt. He actually missed with his first arrow, but the buck allowed them to get back into range. 40-42 yards if I remember. Still a great buck, regardless of who killed it.

stitch
11-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Sorry Guys, Cody did not arrow this buck. I saw the Live to Hunt episode where this buck was killed about 3 weeks ago and it was the brother of his good friend that arrowed this buck. This fellow saw this buck and called his brother and Cody to come and try to film the hunt. He actually missed with his first arrow, but the buck allowed them to get back into range. 40-42 yards if I remember. Still a great buck, regardless of who killed it.

Not the same buck Farmer....I watched the episode last night thinking it looked the same but the one you are talking about wasn't in Velvet.....Cody's was...

coach
11-08-2011, 06:12 PM

Definitely a different buck! The one you are referring to is in the latest Big Buck magazine. It was "only" a 235 buck.. Does make a guy wonder if the two are related though - similar antlers.

Whonnock Boy
11-08-2011, 07:42 PM
Definitely a different buck! The one you are referring to is in the latest Big Buck magazine. It was "only" a 235 buck.. Does make a guy wonder if the two are related though - similar antlers.

X 2. It was the first thing I thought as well. The other buck was arrowed by Lee Hunter.

dana
11-08-2011, 07:58 PM
If you guys knew anything about Sask you'd know that non-residents can not hunt muleys there. It is a resident hunt only. The only exception are a couple of First Nation Reserves have the rights to guide non-resident aliens on the reserve lands. Muleys in Sask are over the counter if you are hunting with a bow. It is a draw system if you want to hunt with rifle or muzzy. Cody is a DIYer that done GOOD!

GoatGuy
11-08-2011, 08:10 PM
No pics allowed to anyone til it hits the magazine rack. Everybody has their hands out and their fingers in the pie on this one.

bugler
11-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Ya Dana, we don't all know everything about Saskatchewan. My question is if it is over the counter for bowhunting can a non res buy a tag for bow season, as we can in Alberta. Many people who don't bowhunt believe you have to draw in Alberta to hunt mulies and it ain't the case. I know if it is on draw it is residents only, but if not on draw, well, maybe there is a chance... And if you're gonna give me the old "Jeez if you knew anything you'd know that, I wouldn't let a 12 year old cripple shoot that rat on a last day but it looks good for you" crap just save your energy. If you have a polite answer please enlighten us. I do intend to read their regs myself but haven't found that one yet.

dana
11-09-2011, 11:15 PM
Why should I give ya a polite answer when most of the replies in this thread are far from polite. It is alright to attack another DIYer cuss they went and killed an absolute giant and that just ain't fair right? He must have been guided. It must have been behind a high fence. He must have paid a ton of money blah blah blah. Other's can jump and the pulling rumours out of their asses bandwagon, but I have to be polite because bugler says so. Yea right.

Nonresident aliens and non resident Canadians can not hunt muleys in Sask period! You can hunt the dinky dog rat deer but mule deer are for residents only. Is that polite enough for ya?

Farmer
11-10-2011, 04:29 PM
Not the same buck Farmer....I watched the episode last night thinking it looked the same but the one you are talking about wasn't in Velvet.....Cody's was...

My mistake then. They sure look similar with the paddle style drop tines.

bugler
11-10-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok Dana, I get the annoyance with the ones who want to put down someone like Robbins because he has better than average success on big critters. People say the same kind of stuff about Chuck Adams when they really know nothing about him or how he has such "luck". But when you appear to be addressing a legitimate question that is asked in good faith I don't really expect a "Well if you knew anything" type of answer. To be fair, I can see now that you were speaking to the negative peanut gallery out there and not necessarily answering my query.

Still, a little humility wouldn't hurt.

Walking Buffalo
11-10-2011, 10:08 PM
Awsome Buck.

dana
11-10-2011, 10:52 PM
Humility eh? How doesn't that play into this thread? If you want to jump on me for the way I address the peanut gallery, then why don't you do the same for them? Cause it ain't humility they have issues with, it is instead JEALOUSY. I really get a kick out the internet police that are currently on this site. It is alright for numerous members to bash someone and the way they hunt, but it isn't alright for someone to call them on it. To do so is considered being Rude and it is that member that needs to be confronted. Interesting hypocrisy isn't it?

Gateholio
11-11-2011, 12:05 AM
Asking if it was guided is a valid question...Lot's of hunting TV show guys are on guided hunts, and not everyone on HBC are aware of Sask hunting regulations. Cody seems to be the exception rather than the norm in TV shows as I don't think I've seen him guided on his show, although I haven't seen all his shows.

They are simple questions, no need to make any of it into a huge deal........

ThinAir
11-12-2011, 10:57 AM
Cody has had a few episodes where he's been guided....a goat hunt here in BC for one.

The big difference to me is that he is an exceptional hunter that is sometimes guided because logistically he needs to(ie BC mountain goat). Alot of other hunting guys on the tube, are pretty much useless hunters IMHO.

Cody gets it done. He deserves that buck!