PDA

View Full Version : Black bear size

MaxQtime
11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I was out hunting tonight, and saw a small looking black bear, it was definitely alone, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't a cub, and pretty sure it wasn't full grown. My question, can I have taken it?

PointMan
11-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Regs say it has to be 2 years old or older. Pg 63 in the synopsis should help.

r106
11-03-2011, 07:26 PM
hard to say without seeing how big he was. But probably his first winter alone away from mom. a small two and a half - three year old isn't very big.

Mr. Dean
11-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Could have been a 5/6 year old midget bear.

Trapper D
11-03-2011, 10:59 PM
its illegal to bait on bear threads. no comment, but i wanted too. on the vertically challenged lmao. ive got a visual, that i dont want Mr. Dean, dont ask

Jelvis
11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Because you had no other bear to compare the size of the bear you were guessing about made it a little difficult to nail down.
A big bear has a big head and a muscular thick neck on big front shoulders with not much air under the belly hair from the ground, a young one looks more like a big black fat Labrador dog with long hair and you can see fair space under his belly.
jp .. if you know what your looking for you might see it .. I ain't no X spirt anywayz lol. It's all relative My Dear Watson .. smallest smaller small .. big Bigger BIGGEST ..

Trapper D
11-03-2011, 11:05 PM
im going to have nightmares now MD

Mr. Dean
11-03-2011, 11:10 PM
What's the length of a 2+ year old bear???

3 feet, maybe a bit more. But surely, under 4'

Trapper D
11-03-2011, 11:16 PM
ya under 4. i shot a smaller one last year probably 3 years and it was 4 ft

Mr. Dean
11-03-2011, 11:55 PM
ya under 4. i shot a smaller one last year probably 3 years and it was 4 ft

Yeah, I never taped one but they are puny. And I don't think one would be taller than my knee.

In all honesty though, I don't think I'd shoot one - With my luck, it would be a 2- and I'd feel like a tool. Besides, we got lottsa bears to choose from that wouldn't be a worry and would yield more than just a dinner for 6.

scottwh
11-04-2011, 12:09 AM
First bear I ever shot, I thought it was a monster. Was 5 1/2 feet. OK I guess, just thought it was bigger in the clear cut. I really learned how to field judge bears while on a grizz hunt in Bella Coola. Black bears of all sizes there.

cdnshooter13
11-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Big ears=small bear, small ears=big bear usually. Big bears will have short legs and they're bellies will hang low small bears will be all legs. You'll know when its a shooter if you have to question it, its not worth your time you'll be dissapointed as bears usually shrink once they're on the ground. Lots of bears to choose from out there.

SimilkameenSlayer
11-04-2011, 06:36 AM
a golden rule - if in doubt, don't shoot.

westview
11-05-2011, 11:03 PM
I saw one in my garbage last night. Thought it was a coon, because it was right in the can. Went out the door to yell at it, and low and behold a bear popped out, so I went to bed, laughing.

Jelvis
11-05-2011, 11:29 PM
A big black bear carries it's weight forward with a big head neck and shoulders tapering slightly down to the ass end.
A small black bear has a bigger ass end then the front and looks weasel like at a distance. Less hair length also. Looks like a wet bear, but it's dry.
Big ears and small head for a baby bear .. small ears pumpkin head for a huge black
Jel outta Kammy2Nite

finngun
11-05-2011, 11:40 PM
[QUOTE=SimilkameenSlayer;1010474]a golden rule - if in doubt, don't shoot.
and next guestion is -- if bear is dead [yeah but it was monster baby bear],and it is only 1,5 years old-- what to do? co? shovel? whaat?

Jelvis
11-05-2011, 11:48 PM
When your hunting we'll say your driving down a back fsr and looking for a deer or a spike/fork moose and you have a valid black bear tag for the region your in.
Your in the passenger seat, you look over about three hundred yards and see a dark object, you focus in with your naked eye and see a black bear on a thick log and he or she is looking at the truck your in.
What do you do? What is your mind doing? How's your process of thought going?
Ask yourself that question, than go through the steps in your mind as it should process correctly.
Jel .. take two Anacin and call me in the marnin.

r106
11-06-2011, 11:05 AM
and next guestion is -- if bear is dead [yeah but it was monster baby bear],and
it is only 1,5 years old-- what to do? co? shovel? whaat?

[/QUOTE]

Cut your tag and make some peperoni. Or call the CO's they will take the bear and give you a fine and you can then go shoot another one. If it's not a cub and it's not with moma the drop it if you want it. Am I in the right thread? is this a sheep thread?

jetboat jim
11-06-2011, 01:29 PM
asked this question to a CO and he said "if its not with the mother its ok to shoot"....
if its under 2 years it will be with its mother
I asked if I shoot a small one how do I prove it was not with its mother? he said you better make damn sure!

better to stay on the side of caution, wait for a larger bear.

CanuckShooter
11-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Don't sweat it if it's small, makes good eating. The question is if they have to be 2... Why don't you check their ID? Another silly regulation.

emerson
11-06-2011, 10:55 PM
If it's not with it's mother, and you have a tag, the CO won't care to waste time with your soul searching. Don't take my word for it, call and ask. If you don't think it's big enough...don't shoot it. Black bears are coyotes on steroids, everywhere.

MaxQtime
11-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the responses, after talking to a few more experienced hunters I realize maybe black bears aren't as big as I first thought. This one was about 3.5 ft tall at the shoulders, definitely alone. Maybe next time he wanders past my blind, I will take him.