PDA

View Full Version : Leh 2012 season

Bobfl
11-03-2011, 05:23 PM
If you are frustrated with the draw system of the leh, send an e-mail to
dan.gilmore@gov.bc.ca. He is the respondant whom looks at the mail for Mr Lake our new minister of environment whom oversees the leh program, Who knows if they get enough complaints they may make changes to the 2012 hunting draws

GoatGuy
11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
LEH is conducted through the F,W & H branch under MoNRO, not MoE.

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2011, 05:27 PM
What are ya gonna tell him? "I'm pissed off because I didn't get my 20:1 moose draw"

It doesn't matter WHAT KIND OF DRAW system is in place, the only thing that will increase your odds of harvesting an LEH animal is an increase in the annual allowable harvest. PERIOD.

jeff
11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
If you are frustrated with the draw system of the leh, send an e-mail to
dan.gilmore@gov.bc.ca. He is the respondant whom looks at the mail for Mr Lake our new minister of environment whom oversees the leh program, Who knows if they get enough complaints they may make changes to the 2012 hunting draws

what changes would u like to see

Trapper D
11-03-2011, 05:33 PM
didnt they already restaff, since some family members or friends of workers there seemed extra lucky winning draws?

XPEIer
11-03-2011, 06:07 PM
What changes, how about this one;

you are allowed to submit an LEH for 8 regions for each species if there is population to support, as soon as you are drawn in any region you are out, period. You have no first choice, no second choice, you pay your 5 bucks for each region you wish to apply for and it goes into the pot. What this does it gives you options to hunt anywhere in BC, NOT just one region.

So, take me for example, I have no desire to go to region 2-4-8 etc. for moose, so I pay for and submit my draws for regions 5-6-7, $15.00 spent. If they pull my region 7 application it kills the others instantly and I am done, I have one LEH authorization the same as if I was lucky enough to draw region 5.

What about the odds, overall your odds increase, you have 8 chances now versus 2, only difference it may be in 8 different regions of the province.

Cash grab, you bet your ass, and I am willing to pay for odds of hunting moose "somewhere" in BC, versus sitting at home.

Maximum you pay for each species is 40.00, play as many times as you wish.

Just a brain storm I had on the drive home from our last moose hunt, which by the way was NOT an LEH, because I could only apply in one region.

GO EASY ON ME, IT IS JUST AN IDEA!!! I AM CERTAIN THERE ARE GLITCHES

xpeier

ianwuzhere
11-03-2011, 06:07 PM
good now we know who to send $$ to for the draws i want ;)

Amphibious
11-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Dear LEH Guy,

Your draw system is fair and well managed. I look forward to sending in my lottery forms for the 2012 season.

Thanks!

Amphibious.

:)

MuleyMadness
11-03-2011, 06:16 PM
What changes, how about this one;

you are allowed to submit an LEH for 8 regions for each species if there is population to support, as soon as you are drawn in any region you are out, period. You have no first choice, no second choice, you pay your 5 bucks for each region you wish to apply for and it goes into the pot. What this does it gives you options to hunt anywhere in BC, NOT just one region.

So, take me for example, I have no desire to go to region 2-4-8 etc. for moose, so I pay for and submit my draws for regions 5-6-7, $15.00 spent. If they pull my region 7 application it kills the others instantly and I am done, I have one LEH authorization the same as if I was lucky enough to draw region 5.

What about the odds, overall your odds increase, you have 8 chances now versus 2, only difference it may be in 8 different regions of the province.

Cash grab, you bet your ass, and I am willing to pay for odds of hunting moose "somewhere" in BC, versus sitting at home.

Maximum you pay for each species is 40.00, play as many times as you wish.

Just a brain storm I had on the drive home from our last moose hunt, which by the way was NOT an LEH, because I could only apply in one region.

GO EASY ON ME, IT IS JUST AN IDEA!!! I AM CERTAIN THERE ARE GLITCHES

xpeier

Those are some interesting ideas, I do like the first example with the various moose regions put in for a draw. I don't like the idea of play as much as you want, simply because some people would be at an unfair disadvantage, as many likely would not have the funds to dump 40 bucks into a bunch of different draws.

I personally really like the system in place. It's simple, it's fair (yes despite the conspiracy theory being spouted above and the countless 'he got drawn 3 years in 5 complaints) and it does allow for strict management of animals that they want to limit the seasons on.

The only change I would really like to see is similar to what they have for bison. That is, the ability to give back a tag that will be unused for whatever reason, so another hunter can have a shot at it. That would equal more opportunity (or at least the sense of more opportunity) while increasing hunter satisfaction because the guy or gal that can't used it can't be pissed off because they still got drawn, and some unlucky SOB will have his luck changed later on, giving them a chance too. Of course it would require some small amount of ongoing budget, but putting things online, with the ability to 'reject' an authorization online, which will then automatically be sent to another applicant for that hunt code would mitigate some of the ongoing costs. And get that whole thing online, from purchase to hunt selection to the draw itself...enough with the 70s technology already.

The last thing I want is an AB type system. I hate it.

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2011, 06:20 PM
The only change I would really like to see is similar to what they have for bison. That is, the ability to give back a tag that will be unused for whatever reason, so another hunter can have a shot at it. That would equal more opportunity (or at least the sense of more opportunity) while increasing hunter satisfaction because the guy or gal that can't used it can't be pissed off because they still got drawn, and some unlucky SOB will have his luck changed later on, giving them a chance too. Of course it would require some small amount of ongoing budget, but putting things online, with the ability to 'reject' an authorization online, which will then automatically be sent to another applicant for that hunt code would mitigate some of the ongoing costs And get that sucker online...enough with the 70s technology already.

It might feel better, but the reality is, higher participation by draw recipients would equal fewer tags available. They count on a certain percentage of no shows. They do it on buffs because they want to pound them down a bit.

silvicon
11-03-2011, 06:24 PM
No problem with the system.
Fair, random.
Why should anyone be alowed to apply for all regions for moose or w.h.y.?
We are facing a decling ungulate population, a all-time high of predators, an ever increasing number of indians engaged in unethical 'hunting'
and a high number of unethical resident 'hunters'!

bighornbob
11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Fair, random.
We are facing a decling ungulate population, a all-time high of predators, an ever increasing number of indians engaged in unethical 'hunting'

You forgot fat and lazy outfitters that want more tags (even though they cant fill the ones they get
) and want to close seasons for residents so they can take a client out and shoot a 180"mulie from their truck.

BHB

peashooter
11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Are they out yet?

NaStY
11-04-2011, 08:01 AM
Are they out yet?

Ya hurry up and get yours in man...... You dont want to loose out again do ya?:mrgreen:

Just kidding they aren't out yet. Maybe we will get lucky and fill them out online this year.....

CanuckShooter
11-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Fair, random.

Why not? Nothing wrong with exploring a few ideas that 'may' increase a fellows chance of getting a draw??

Personally I would like to be able to purchase a 'calf moose' tag that would be good for the entire season and completely forego hunting leh draws and spike forks......

papaken
11-04-2011, 09:13 PM
This year I got my moose draw. Apparently lots of hunters got their draw for 5-12 A. I hiked, drove, called, even went out by boat. The week I was there I didn't see any fresh sign, much less a moose. Talked to a lot of others that didn't see a moose. But if i could have used the roads that were available (but closed to hunters) to get me within hiking distance, I quite likely would have filled my tag. As people that were doing survey work were seeing moose on a daily basis in the closed area. I guess I could have hired the guide who is allowed to hunt in the area or rented horses from them. Or bought horses. Or back packed in, no that's not an option, to old to carry out a moose. My beef is they sell tons of LEH for an area they know (or should know) is going to not produce well. All the locals I talked to said the moose don't come out of that area until later in the year. Why would the government not know that??? Also stupidly bought a caribou tag as they were open for part of the time I was going to be there. But guess what?? You guessed it they don't come out of the closed area until well after the season ends. But again if you can afford a guide you can get your caribou. In my opinion if an area is open for a guide and there are roads into that area they should be open for resident hunters. If need be put a 400 meter restriction on them but allow hunters to access all parts of BC that are open to non-residents. If there is a conservation concern close it to them as well. I would be interested to see what the final figures were for 5-12A moose harvest especially the ratio of of resident and guided hunts. I know the guides will say I don't know how to hunt and they do. I say BS! If I had access to the same area as them I would at least have fair odds. From now on if I put in for LEH it will be only as far from home as it takes to get into moose country. I know that the odds of being drawn will be much worse but at least it won't cost me near as much to not get one. Well that's enough ranting:-) Heading out soon for a few days closer to home to look for 4 points and who knows might actually bump up one of the wild and elusive immy moose they say live out there. I know they exist. I have actually shot 2 in the last 30 years mind you that was back when if it had antlers you could shoot it. Along with the other 8 moose I've taken I guess I'm pretty lucky. Good luck to everyone still trying to fill your tags.