PDA

View Full Version : hunt in 7-28

Barracuda
09-22-2006, 12:23 AM
I have been drawn for Grizzly in 7-28 (deer and sheep are nice but my heart belongs to dangerous game ) and i will looking at the first few weeks of oct.
I have been going over the maps and i see that you can get in there through the Mackenzie side (through 7-24/29) and the ft st james side . what would be the best road conditions and what about access two weeks from now? I have been given some info, by the way the season is looking the conditions should be ok but it would be nice to have some first hand info.
Thanks Kyle

Visle
09-23-2006, 08:13 AM
I always used to go into 7-28 thru Windy Point.Find it much better now by driving to the 10km mark before you reach Mackenzie and then turning off and crossing the causeway across the lake.I always like to go into Mackenzie as the town has a municipal campsite and hot water showers that are free for the first 3 days and it's nice to freshen up at each end of the hunt.The roads are pretty well marked and maintained but rain always makes for poorer conditions.A radio to keep you aware of oncoming traffic is recommended as logging to clear off the bug kill is at a frenetic pace.Lots of roads but most have been de-activated.I have only been towards Ft St James on the connecting road and found it also in good condition but not well marked.Suggest a real good map as the forestry map was first out in the early 90's and they continue to flog it as though it were current.Co's and RCMP find it necessary to go through camps and check for booze ,gun registrations, insurance , hunting violations etc. so be aware that most of the roads you travel are FSRs and you should proceed with that knowledge.Don't have any problem with the COs doing their job but thought the Prov. Gov't had said they wouldn't be funding the RCMP to police the Firearms Act.I'm leaving for 7-28 this pm and drive an old Gm biege extended cab 4x4.Buy you a coffee maybe.

Elkhound
09-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Sorry Kyle, have not been up that way since I was a kid, no help from me.....but good luck and happy hunting

boatdoc
09-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Barracuda don't waste your time hunting grizz in 7-28 from the mackenzie side. yes there are grizz in the area but the bush is thick and the bears are far and few between. Two of my hunting buddies from mackenzie spent more than 30 days hunting grizz in the philips lakes area last year and did not see one.I f you do go ,make sure you have a radio. best of luck.hope to seeyou there visle,green gmc 4 door p/u

browningboy
09-23-2006, 08:44 PM
We've hunted moose at the curve lake area, and we've always come across the grizzes, but they're usally pretty deep in.

Barracuda
10-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Ok guys i have been told that 7-28 is inaccessable from FT james ? anyone else hear this?
I have just under 2 weeks before i go(wanted to get there just as calf season was ending) and i figure i better have this worked out . I do have a friend coming back from a hunt in 7-24 on the weekend so i hope to get some more info from that end also. Is anyone back from 7-28 yet??

mntman
10-11-2006, 05:40 PM
The best way in is the causeway, there are good numbers of grizz in the area you should have good luck, will be busy at the end of calf season watch out for the mine trucks coming down from area 29 but you will find them helpful, if the grader is working you can ask him if he has seen any bears he is always helpful to the hunters, best of luck shot a hog they get big up there.

WoodOx
10-11-2006, 05:45 PM
Although this post doesnt help the question at hand - is 7-28 near Chetwynd?
I only ask b/c I was hunting south of chetwynd and I know thats 7-26, but I dont have my regs with me so I cant find out where 728 is. I saw some grizz around while i was up there in the summer - three days, three griz!

Good luck

Barracuda
10-11-2006, 08:34 PM
7- 28 is west of Mackenzie and north of ft Saint James . isnt chetwynd 7-32??

Thanks for the info mnt man. You mean enter at tudya crossover through robinson creek then onmto Phillip?

browningboy
10-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Go to the finlay fork and head southwest (km66), get off main road and look for either gut piles or the grader operator, theres an abundance of teddies up there.

mntman
10-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Not sure of the names I take the main causeway off the highway to Mac, head southwest at the fork right after the causeway you will see major signs for directions, if you end up going the wrong way the other road will also join up with your area around the 66 km mark again you will see a sign, there are tons of grizz's in the area even been chased in my jeep by one and with the calf season ending the bears will be out in force getting their winter fat on before they bed down, if you are not finding any signs of blackies then you are in grizz territory, be sure to post a pic of the one you decide to take