PDA

View Full Version : Re-using bags?

Black Bird
11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi there,

Two questions:

1) I am wondering if anyone every re-uses their game bags. I have heard that you can buy some that are washable, but I am wondering if anyone has bothered to wash the regular ones between deer. I would think it should work (and save me a few bucks).

2) Does anyone who butchers their own game re-use their vacuum pack bags? I just had a roast last night (this is my first year using a vacuum pack system) and I realize that it looks like I could wash out, disinfect and then store the bags for the next deer).

By posting these two questions one has to ask, am I cheep! You bet...

:mrgreen:

Cheers,
BB

mark
11-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Yup, I do it all the time for sausage mostly! (Im not cheap, just thrifty! :-D)

Mr. Dean
11-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I soak mine in a light bleach mixture and then wash twice, using no detergent for the 2nd wash.

I don't bother with reusing packaging.

betteroffishing
11-03-2011, 03:26 PM
yep and yep , waste not want for naught is how i was raised. hand wash both in a light dish soap sollution then soak in bleach , pull freezer bags out of bleach and hang with clothesline clipsto dry , pull cheesecloth/ game bags out of bleach and rinse with fresh water a couple times then hang to dry. the freezer bags should not be re-used when used for fish , smoked meat , sausage , as the plastic has memory and will store the flavor / odor forever. otherwise have at er

35 Whelen
11-03-2011, 04:33 PM
As far as game bags go... I use twin sheets sewn in half with a drawstring and after shooting game, reused them over and over. Biggest thing is getting all the blood out and that is best accomplished by soaking the bloodied bags in a bathtub full of cold water overnight, then launder in cold water with a bit of bleach to sanitize and away you go. As for reusing vacuum bags...never done it so I can't say.

coach
11-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Sounds like good advice here. Although I haven't tried washing my own gamebags, I did find a local shop that sells them on a roll for 49cents per foot. Good, stretchy stuff that's light in my pack and can be sized in the field. I'm sure it could be washed and reused as others have said.

Allen50
11-03-2011, 04:56 PM
game bags can be washed, but the others get new ones, come on do you hang up your teabags to reuse them, new vac bags are better,,

Big Lew
11-03-2011, 05:00 PM
I have both the light duty cheese cloth and the heavy duty sheet types and have washed them many times. The cheese cloth ones sometimes get knotted and gnarled up a bit, but they still work even after several times.

The Dawg
11-03-2011, 05:01 PM
game bags can be washed, but the others get new ones, come on do you hang up your teabags to reuse them, new vac bags are better,,

No, but I have been known to wring out my toilet paper

abbyfireguy
11-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Thats just gross,,,funny but gross! LOL

kitnayakwa77
11-04-2011, 10:06 AM
thin pillowcases from the sally ann work well as game bags too. your kids can use em after from trick or treating with authentic bloodstains.

pescado
11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Reuse my game bags. Used to reuse my vacu seal bags but haven't lately.

budismyhorse
11-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I soak mine in a light bleach mixture and then wash twice, using no detergent for the 2nd wash.

I don't bother with reusing packaging.

what he said!

...Unless you are pulling them out of the panniers back at camp and the damn inside bolt catches them ripping the side of the game bag and spills 100 pounds of boned out moose all of the the ground.........or so I've heard ;)

Bear Chaser
11-04-2011, 10:06 PM
...Unless you are pulling them out of the panniers back at camp and the damn inside bolt catches them ripping the side of the game bag and spills 100 pounds of boned out moose all of the the ground.........or so I've heard ;)

That would suck. Haven't had it happen to me:):):)

We use old sheets sewn into game sacks of assorted sizes. I think my wife just throws them in the washer.
We have thrown a couple away as we lost some front shoulders that were bloodshot and went bad before we could get home. The meat sack went away with the affected meat.

Slinky Pickle
11-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Toss them in a sink of 3 or 4% Hydrogen Peroxide (get it from hydroponics store and dilute it yourself) and watch the blood boil out. Then a quick bleach and you're good to go!

BiG Boar
11-05-2011, 09:07 AM
King sheets ripped and double sewn to fit a moose quarter. Then launder.

No on the Plastic bags. Buy a roll of butcher paper if your that cheap.