PDA

View Full Version : My toughest season yet

JoshCampbell
11-03-2011, 11:43 AM
after about 35-40 days of hunting this season i have yet to tag an animal, have got a couple grouse but that is all. i have drove roads for hours, hiked up and down and all around.
in all this travel i have had some of the most exciting experinces of my life though, like calling in my first 6 point elk that didn't get a shot at. had about 8 cow elk to come into my calling this year also. i spent almost every day out in the bush during elk season this year, seeing 2 bulls both 6 points that never presented me a shot during the season, a week befor the season though i seen a giant 6 point and a week after the season i seen another 6 point with a 5x4 staring at me between the trees.

only seena few moose this year but one was spike fork bull, didn't have my moose tag yet though, raced to town quick to buy a moose tag and was back out searching for him 30 minutes after i first spotted him. spent a week searching that area for him again never seen another moose in that area.

deer have been a like ghosts this year i have only seen 10 whitetails one spike buck i let go as i was searching for the spike-fork moose, only 3 does during the whitetail doe season sent a warning shot at one then never seen her again and never had a shot at the other 2. as for mule deer only seen 8 does this year not a single mulie buck. tried calling 3 days ago had one coming in, unaware of this until i shifted my feet and cracked a stick and heard the snort followed by crashing away through the forest went in after it found the spot were the deer turned and took off, was only 40 yards from my calling spot. was out today but never seen anything as it was snowing like crazy, nearly 4 inches in hour and half.

still have had an enjoyable time out in the forest again this fall, hope to get something for the freezer soon though.

kennyj
11-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Lots of quality time in the woods. Thats what its all about. Keep at it and it will happen. Soon.
kenny

mark
11-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Dont feel bad, ive been hunting for 2 1/2 months and havnt killed anything yet!
Its just nice to be hunting!

todbartell
11-03-2011, 12:27 PM
I've been hunting since mid August and the only legal critters I've seen in rifle range were a couple calf moose. Won't get one sittin on the couch!

BiG Boar
11-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Don't feel too bad. I have put in 93 days this year and up until last week, my freezer was empty.

coach
11-03-2011, 12:35 PM
Sounds like you were a combined few seconds away from having a spike fork moose, 6 point bull elk, whitetail buck and a whitetail doe in your freezer. Remember this: Never Ever Ever go out during spike fork moose season without a moose tag in your pocket! I've heard way too many tales of despair from guys who've made that same mistake.

Good luck with the rest of your season. I'm sure you'll be posting up some success soon.

elknut
11-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Hi...Elknut here...Got my elk on the 2nd day this year..The past two years a bust..The animals got to win sometimes also..Good luck Mark ...It aint over till its over..You got till Dec 10th..Dennis...

Weatherby Fan
11-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Don't feel too bad. I have put in 93 days this year and up until last week, my freezer was empty.

No worries Big Boar you will get more efficient with age :mrgreen:

doubled
11-03-2011, 12:44 PM
Sounds like you have had a good year. I never saw an elk this year, never saw a spike fork this year and haven't seen a whitetail buck so far this year.

shaydog65
11-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Ouch. The only thing worse then Tag soup must be spotting a shooter and no tag in the wallet. Aside from the empty freezer, your season sounds like a great one to me. I'm sure you'll get something if you can keep up that effort.

steepNdeep
11-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Sounds like an exciting season! Keep putting your time in like that & you'll be stackin' them in your freezer...

Wrayzer
11-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Sounds like a good season so far, you've had a lot of experiences guys only dream about. The best part of deer season is just getting started, get your calls and your rattles going and you will start finding the bucks. Good luck and keep your head on a swivle.

Fisher-Dude
11-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I had a couple of seasons back in my 20s where it just wouldn't come together for me. One year I pounded like hell every weekend and most days after work, and ended up shooting a basket whitey on Nov 23. Keep at 'er, it'll happen.

PS - always buy a moose tag. :wink:

dave_fras
11-03-2011, 06:57 PM
im still holding my tags!... ive passed on many decent bucks buck im still holding out for a nice mule with my bow!... im gettin some good ones on my cam... but they rarely show up during daylight!!

Rubberfist
11-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Even if you spend your last dime to get closer to nature, you are richer in the end.

30+ days hunting? Sounds like you're doing pretty good to me.

dana
11-03-2011, 08:09 PM
"It's all about the climb" - Hannah Montana

buck nash
11-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Could be worse. At least your getting out. I made sure all my weekends were free for hunting for the month of october, which took a lot of negotiating. Then October 7 some guy runs a red while I'm hanging a left and mangles my jeep. I might get it back tomorrow. Meantime I've been driving a hyundai accent (not an ideal hunting vehicle). now I gotta try to free up some time in Nov.

bearass
11-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Don't Weigh your time in the bush this year on your success.A lot of hunting is also luck, Sounds like you will be dialed in for elk for next year. And hunting deer in the west koots is pretty tuff in sept oct. Keep your head up because the Good deer hunting is starting right now.

Looking_4_Jerky
11-03-2011, 11:59 PM
You think your season has been slim? It ain't gonna get fatter by sitting on the couch (but you will)!

Tough seasons can be discouraging, but I try to use my experiences from every season to build on so the following ones might be better.

This year you have a few lessons:
1 - If you're eventually going to get a moose tag anyway, make sure it's before the first day you go out in the season.
2 - Moose can be fairly nomadic. Despite seeing that immy in that spot, it may not be the best option if you put in an honest week and didn't see another moose. In any of the better moose spots near where I live you'd be hard pressed to go a couple of days without seeing a moose if you hunted diligently - and I don't live in what is considered to be the best moose country either.

3 - Part of hunting is playing the odds. Keep calling those bull elk and if you pay attention to the details the odds of a legal bull materializing will stack in your favor.

Keep up the good work!