PDA

View Full Version : Osoyoos. Last trip of the year

blackford
11-02-2011, 09:22 PM
Well. 23 days of hunting this year and still no deer. It's been my worst year ever. I was thinking of either doing texada or Osoyoos durring Remembrance day long weekend ..

Never been to either but heard its worth a shot. After this trip thats it for the year.

I dont expect honey holes but does anyone hunt either of these areas and do you have any reports?

coach
11-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Region 8 closes for mule deer on Nov 10. Not sure what the whitetail situation is around there - but bucks will be open. I realize you didn't mention it, but it should be prime time in region 3.

blackford
11-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I was thinking whitetails.

Hmm. Region 3. I don't know the area... Any tips? Pm ing is fine if you done want to broadcast it

coach
11-02-2011, 10:25 PM
I would think another hour or so east of Oosoyoos would put you in some great whitetail country. Rock Creek to Grand Forks had good populations of deer. Let's see what info you get here. Feel free to PM me and I'll give you some R3 info.

blackford
11-02-2011, 10:39 PM
PM sent. Any help is appreciated

cumminsforever
11-02-2011, 11:37 PM
To be honest I live in Osoyoos and I know I have got into a few arguments with a few people on this subject but the hunting around hear really is not like it used to be and the christian valley is like an ants nest but instead of deer it's hunters I would suggest probably the Grand Forks area it's only like an hours drive from here. Otherwise probable try up towards Beaverdell a ways.

blackford
11-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Cummins when you say it ain't like it used to be are you referring to 20 years ago 10 years or 5 years. Just curious.

vortex hunter
11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Cummins when you say it ain't like it used to be are you referring to 20 years ago 10 years or 5 years. Just curious.

lol lol lol

JIL_24/7
11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
What about Bridesville, is it any good?

ravensfoot
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Texada takes way too long by ferry. Been there. Not worth the travel time

Singleshotneeded
11-03-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree with ravensfoot on Texada, takes a ton of time to get there and then, if you're lucky, and usually
by calling during the rut, you'll successfully shoot a buck that looks like a medium-sized dog. If you're
hunting around Osoyoos set up near some water, and set up a blind using the native sage bushes.
Don't even think about the Christian Valley, the place is crawling with hunters and except for the slim
chance you'll catch something young and dumb at first light returning into the deep woods...the deer
are nocturnal, made so by heavy hunting pressure.

palmer
11-03-2011, 02:24 PM
If you are looking at Osoyoos, You want to hunt the east side upto the summitt. The road that goes to the left as you are leaving that has the MOOSE statue has been good to me for whitetails...As for GF...its not like it used to be and you will have a tough go without knowing where to go...

palmer

lesterv
11-03-2011, 03:55 PM
If you are looking at Osoyoos, You want to hunt the east side upto the summitt. The road that goes to the left as you are leaving that has the MOOSE statue has been good to me for whitetails...As for GF...its not like it used to be and you will have a tough go without knowing where to go...

palmer
You're right, not much game has been seen between Greenwood (north) to GF so far this fall.

BIGHUNTERFISH
11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
When was the last time you hunted the Christian Valley? The hunter numbers are way down this year.I just came back from there and although I did not get a buck ,I had my chances .The camp I was staying at had 6 bucks hanging.If you cruise the roads all day you wont shoot much but if you hunt the crown land that borders on the private fields and set up a blind and have patience you have a very good chance at connecting.Also when you get some good snow in the hills more deer start migrating in very much like the ''Gang Ranch area'' .If you talk to the guys that know what they are doing they will tell you the hunting is excellent and the rest of the guys will tell you its poor.

cumminsforever
11-03-2011, 05:47 PM
What about Bridesville, is it any good?

No not really and most of the farmers outright hate hunters.

Uh 10 even 5 years ago. But I've heard that like 20 years ago used to be amazing hunting and Ive seen a few of the bucks that where pulled out off baldy area from years ago a all I can say is WOW. My dad says about 10 years ago there used to be bucks everywhere and you could choose what you wanted to shoot. Now it's like Okay if I don't take this 2 point am I gonna see anything else.

cumminsforever
11-03-2011, 05:49 PM
When was the last time you hunted the Christian Valley? The hunter numbers are way down this year.I just came back from there and although I did not get a buck ,I had my chances .The camp I was staying at had 6 bucks hanging.If you cruise the roads all day you wont shoot much but if you hunt the crown land that borders on the private fields and set up a blind and have patience you have a very good chance at connecting.Also when you get some good snow in the hills more deer start migrating in very much like the ''Gang Ranch area'' .If you talk to the guys that know what they are doing they will tell you the hunting is excellent and the rest of the guys will tell you its poor.

It's been a few weeks now but I have a few friends up there and they have said there has been hardly anything on there fields the last few years.

slyfox
11-03-2011, 07:06 PM
No deer around osoyoos come on with all the orchards and farms around you can't ask for a better place to hunt my hunting group have taken 5 bucks this year close to osoyoos. I'm chasing the biggest whitetail I have seen in my life in the reg 8 area.

blackford
11-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Well..... Tough decision. I don't need a trophy but something to stock the freezer with.

Problem with reg 3 is while I am getting great feedback I have no idea where to go.

Who said hunting was easy! Lol

slyfox
11-03-2011, 09:08 PM
3 29,3 30,3 31, 3 32 all good area for muleys

blackford
11-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks fox

Looking_4_Jerky
11-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Way better chance of scoring any whitetail buck in the better areas of region 8 than a 4 point mulie in the better areas of region 3. If you are the kind of hunter that will fill up the tank relentlessly and drive the countryside until you see animals, you might be better suited to mulie hunting (you might still see lots of mulies like this and you could catch a spindly 4 point with some does, but you probably won't see a ton of whities like this even in good country), but if you actually have some ability, patience and desire to succeed go do some grunting, rattling, and still-hunting in whitetail country. The kicker should be that most mulies will smell (and taste) like cowsh*t throughout November whereas the whities won't be nearly as bad.

blindcast
11-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Some good info on hunting the Rock Creek/Midway/Greenwood area at http://outdoorcanada.ca/15844/blogs/wild-about-the-west/mule-deer-whitetail-combo
Details on where to stay, where to gas up, where to get great coffee and even a cool room where you can hang your deer. Check it out.

blackford
11-05-2011, 07:04 AM
Blindcat thanks! Great read

steepNdeep
11-05-2011, 09:32 AM
The kicker should be that most mulies will smell (and taste) like cowsh*t throughout November whereas the whities won't be nearly as bad.

Do you have tits 'Jerky? ;) 'Cause that's an old wives tale that rutting meat tastes much different. I've arrowed little forkys in the velvet & swollen rutted up bucks & they tast the same to me... It's more about how they die (ie: wounded & full of adrenaline) & how you care for the meat prior to processing.